2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:Jim, IMO the increase in PA in 2016 was a direct correlation to the terrible PF the team was producing over the same stretch. I suspect an interesting analysis to compare the 2016 team vs. the 2013 SEA club would be the amount of rushing snaps the two defenses faced. If I were to venture a guess, it would be that the 2016 Vikings saw quite a few more since they were constantly struggling against their own inept offense.
It's actually less. The 2016 Vikings faced 404 rushing attempts from their opponents. the 2013 Seahawks defense faced 422.
The main take away I get is that offensive production affects defensive performance far more than the opposite since offensive production most often results in points while defensive production most often results in possessions.
Generally speaking, I think the influence of one unit on the other is pretty equal. Obviously, when the offense is bad in a game where the defense plays well that hurts the defense more and vice versa. I just mean that, all things being equal, the offense and defense of a team exert a similar degree of influence over one another in the NFL.
In 2016 the vikings OL crippled the majority of our positions, significantly reducing the advantage we gained from our defense.

So shift this to our achilles heel in '16, the OL. TJ Clemmings AKA the Saboteur, hampered all by himself something like 40% of the drives he played on due to penalties and awful pass protection, 2016 That is a massive detriment to the team. I know guys are not that excited by Reif / Remmers, but they probably have the potential of reducing the OL sabotage by a massvie margin (over 50%) just by playing below average NFL football.

That should provide an improvement to our PF, which if you buy the above should also lead to an improvement in our Rush D and PA numbers.
I see your point but I'm not sure I can fully buy into it. I think the run defense had problems simply because the run defense has problems. I thought the PA numbers got worse after the bye because offenses figured out more effective ways to attack the defense, which had some clear areas of vulnerability. Now, if the offense can score more effectively next year, that certainly would take some pressure off the defense but I think the defense itself needs work if it's going to become the kind of elite unit that can carry the team to a championship, which seems to be what people are banking on...
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

losperros wrote: We'll have to agree to disagree, because I'm not budging on my view regarding replacing and/or adding depth to the entire OL. And yeah, it's realistic. It can't be done overnight but working on it now is far better than procrastination or ignoring the problem. That's another thing I won't waiver about. As I said, Reiff and Remmers are improvements. I hope the momentum continues and things get better. A lot better. As a fan, I'm in no mood for anything else. Not at this point, anyway.

We need to see how this group plays together before we can start throwing Pollyanna positives out there.
I am not satisfied. Riley is a good player and good person. I am happy he is on our team. I am not overly optimistic about Mike Remmers. Alex Boone needs to step up his play this season. Joe Berger is 34 years old and could easily take a step back. There is a huge hole at RG.

We will see how committed this team is to improving the offensive line next month during the draft. I fear we are going to take the same approach to the offensive line we always have: Drafting one or two middling prospects and hope they pan out.

We need to draft a tackle, a guard who is capable of playing this season, and a developmental center. If we don't, then it will be hard for me to say this team is committed to improving the offensive line.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote:Wow Kapp, a Vikings and Cubs fan, talk about glutton for punishment. Are you a Sacramento Kings fan too?

Seriously though, glad you finally got to see your team win the pennant.
I'm guessing San Jose Sharks fan too.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Im a Vikings and Knicks fan :(
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Dmizzle0 wrote:Im a Vikings and Knicks fan :(
You want a glutton...
I'm a Viking, Cubbie, Magic, Lightning, and Hawkeyes,
Born Iowan transplanted to Florida 25 years ago.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

IIsweet wrote: You want a glutton...
I'm a Viking, Cubbie, Magic, Lightning, and Hawkeyes,
Born Iowan transplanted to Florida 25 years ago.
At least you where able to see 3/5 of those teams play/win in championships games. I grew up in New Jersey but I'm here in North Dakota for a little bit. Its kinda weird being around a lot of Vikings fans when I'm used to being the only one.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

At least I've got the Spurs... :banana:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I wouldn't mind them bringing in Nick Mangold on a short term bonus filled deal

I think he can play Guard and center and even if we got 7-8 games out of him
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

jackal wrote:I wouldn't mind them bringing in Nick Mangold on a short term bonus filled deal

I think he can play Guard and center and even if we got 7-8 games out of him
Makes too much sense to happen. Sign Nick and slide Berger to the RG spot. Draft Mixon in the 2nd and one of the top center/guard combos in the 3rd...
Or...
Trade our 2nd and late 3rd to move up and select Pat Elflein. He is capable of playing both guard and center (provides the flexibility that our GM loves). In the 3rd we select a back like Foreman (who I think is going to be fantastic).
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Makes too much sense to happen. Sign Nick and slide Berger to the RG spot. Draft Mixon in the 2nd and one of the top center/guard combos in the 3rd...
Or...
Trade our 2nd and late 3rd to move up and select Pat Elflein. He is capable of playing both guard and center (provides the flexibility that our GM loves). In the 3rd we select a back like Foreman (who I think is going to be fantastic).
I dont see us having to move up to get Elflein. He's not a projected first rounder.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

YikesVikes wrote: Makes too much sense to happen. Sign Nick and slide Berger to the RG spot. Draft Mixon in the 2nd and one of the top center/guard combos in the 3rd...
Or...
I like Foreman as well. Would be a good complimentary back to McKinnon.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I dont see us having to move up to get Elflein. He's not a projected first rounder.
Well you know how projections go
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Murray had ankle surgery today.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I read the article and it sounded like Murray's issue will be 100 percent by camp

Murray is bigger than I thought 6'3 230 wow
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I wish we didnt have to keep McKinon. He has done nothing for us. I bet Murray is just as good at the plays McKinnon was supposed to be good at. Hill could fill that role too. And then draft a little bigger back to pound the ball when Murray needs a break.