2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by halfgiz »

We're currently expressing intrest in Reiff Riley.
Edit: Riley Reiff
Last edited by halfgiz on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

halfgiz wrote:We're currently expressing intrest in Reiff Riley.

Is "Reiff Riley" a cousin of Riley Reiff that's much more consistent at LT? If so, I would take him in a heartbeat :D
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Is "Reiff Riley" a cousin of Riley Reiff that's much more consistent at LT? If so, I would take him in a heartbeat :D
Don't try typing anything 2 fingered while trying to rock a baby to sleep. :lol:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

halfgiz wrote:We're currently expressing intrest in Reiff Riley.
Edit: Riley Reiff
PHP, is it fair to say that Reiff's strong suit is in the running game?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

via Josina Anderson
Potential teams to watch in the OL D.J. Fluker market: #Saints #Lions #Seahawks #Colts #Vikings #Giants, #ARZ, #ATL based on a recent call.
11:29 AM - 7 Mar 2017
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

fiestavike wrote: PHP, is it fair to say that Reiff's strong suit is in the running game?
Yes
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I wonder how well Boone can play LT. If he can play at an above average level, it would justify his pay next year. Bring back Kalil on a 1-year with Boone as your contingent. Berger slides over if Boone needs to play LT and Easton takes over at C. One of the FA guards named at RG and Wagner at RT.

Then you go into the draft and snag 2-3 guys to develop.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote:I wonder how well Boone can play LT. If he can play at an above average level, it would justify his pay next year.
I was JUST thinking about this same thing. 7 mil for a competent LT would be a steal, whereas for a competent LG its way too much to be realistic.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Then you go into the draft and snag 2-3 guys to develop.
I have a theory that we are going to start seeing teams conducting "2nd drafts" by snagging under performing OL on the heels of their first contract. It just takes longer for these guys to develop than it did under the old rules, and I think there is real value in some of these guys. If you think of signing them as speculative - akin to extra draft selections - instead of plugging a hole on the roster, it makes some sense.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote: I have a theory that we are going to start seeing teams conducting "2nd drafts" by snagging under performing OL on the heels of their first contract. It just takes longer for these guys to develop than it did under the old rules, and I think there is real value in some of these guys. If you think of signing them as speculative - akin to extra draft selections - instead of plugging a hole on the roster, it makes some sense.
That would make sense and could be a good strategy. I'd hate to be an OL scout right now, seems like a gargantuan task.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

S197 wrote:I wonder how well Boone can play LT. If he can play at an above average level, it would justify his pay next year. Bring back Kalil on a 1-year with Boone as your contingent. Berger slides over if Boone needs to play LT and Easton takes over at C. One of the FA guards named at RG and Wagner at RT.

Then you go into the draft and snag 2-3 guys to develop.
Boone said last year he would move to LT. He couldn't be worse than Clemmings. Curious to see what Hill might have.

fiestavike wrote: I have a theory that we are going to start seeing teams conducting "2nd drafts" by snagging under performing OL on the heels of their first contract. It just takes longer for these guys to develop than it did under the old rules, and I think there is real value in some of these guys. If you think of signing them as speculative - akin to extra draft selections - instead of plugging a hole on the roster, it makes some sense.
Sounds like a good idea...it would save a couple years of grooming someone.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

@christomasson
41m
Adrian Peterson dad said #Vikings still in mix but son doesn't like they haven't given him any offer "That'd make him feel more appreciated"
:rofl: :rofl:

Adrian Peterson dad on Raiders "They haven't been trying to get O-linemen from the bottom of the barrel & trying to make them into something.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

halfgiz wrote:@christomasson
41m
Adrian Peterson dad said #Vikings still in mix but son doesn't like they haven't given him any offer "That'd make him feel more appreciated"
:rofl: :rofl:

Adrian Peterson dad on Raiders "They haven't been trying to get O-linemen from the bottom of the barrel & trying to make them into something.
His dad speaks the truth.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

For the record, I will be extremely upset if we lose both AD and Patterson this offseason, especially with the struggles our offense has had in the last many years.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Also, his dad said a lot during his suspension too, and it ended up with AD still here.