2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

halfgiz wrote: Yes
I mean it's tough to judge because Detroits running game has been horrid for quite some time now. I wouldnt be upset if we signed Reiff but he's very inconsistent. Similar to another Kalil to be honest.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

halfgiz wrote:@christomasson
41m
Adrian Peterson dad said #Vikings still in mix but son doesn't like they haven't given him any offer "That'd make him feel more appreciated"
:rofl: :rofl:

Adrian Peterson dad on Raiders "They haven't been trying to get O-linemen from the bottom of the barrel & trying to make them into something.
I'm just going to roll my eyes at this :roll: Typical AP's dad
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:For the record, I will be extremely upset if we lose both AD and Patterson this offseason, especially with the struggles our offense has had in the last many years.
I'm done with AP at this point. Would like to see CP around for ST purposes but I want to see Laquon in there
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jaguars re-signed OG Patrick Omameh to a one-year, $775,000 contract.
Signed to a one-year deal last offseason, Omameh went on to make seven starts at left guard and play 454 snaps total. He graded out well in pass protection at Pro Football Focus and figures to be interior depth in 2017, though the Jaguars could give Omameh a crack at earning the starting job.
Wow can't believe he took that low of an offer. He could've gotten more on the market IMO
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

I wouldnt mind Philly Brown as a #4 WR. Although we need to find some height on this WR core. Still curious what the deal is with Wright. Maybe that's why we might be letting CP go. Because they plan on holding onto Wright. If so, from a WR perspective, I'm ok with that.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I'm not sure how accurate this is.

Ryan Boser
@Ryan_Boser
7h
Vikings have offered Matt Kalil 3/~$30M w/bonuses/incentives which would likely be based on being active on gameday.

Carolina is still involved as well. and I hope they get him.

:puke:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

halfgiz wrote:I'm not sure how accurate this is.

Ryan Boser
@Ryan_Boser
7h
Vikings have offered Matt Kalil 3/~$30M w/bonuses/incentives which would likely be based on being active on gameday.

Carolina is still involved as well. and I hope they get him.

:puke:
I think 3 years is a little long for my liking but I said before he could be one of our only options at LT this year without a first round pick. I think it's smart resigning him AND drafting one. But that looks like a little too much for my liking. At the same time though, with a weak tackle market, you're going to see a lot of high priced contracts
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

The St. Paul Pioneer Press' Chris Tomasson reports the Vikings have reached out to free agent DT Domata Peko.
According to Tomasson, the Bengals, Eagles, and 49ers are also in the mix. Peko played for Vikings coach Mike Zimmer in Cincinnati and is a logical fit as a depth piece in Minnesota, though his game has fallen off in recent years. Peko turns 33 this year and won't cost much on a short-term deal.
Wouldnt mind him as a depth piece. Good guy to have in case Linval goes down
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent RT Rick Wagner is expected to sign with the Lions.
The deal should become official on Thursday, "assuming no snags in final negotiations." Wagner was also being pursued by the Bears and Bills. It's a big get for the Lions, who needed a right tackle to replace free agent Riley Reiff. Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the deal is expected to net Wagner over $9 million annually.
...unreal. No less we let him fall right in our own division. But lets go get more injury prone tackles like Okung or Clady and hope everything is ok.....oh wait, or maybe Mr. Inconsistency Matt Kalil 2.0 in Riley Reiff. :wallbang: And we wonder why this OL wont get any better. Because we never want to spend any money on it via FA and dont draft them. We just get a bunch of has-beens
-Chazz Palminteri
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: ...unreal. No less we let him fall right in our own division. But lets go get more injury prone tackles like Okung or Clady and hope everything is ok.....oh wait, or maybe Mr. Inconsistency Matt Kalil 2.0 in Riley Reiff. :wallbang: And we wonder why this OL wont get any better. Because we never want to spend any money on it via FA and dont draft them. We just get a bunch of has-beens
I am not too upset. Rick Wagner to me seems to be big lability in pass protection.

I would love having Riley here. I don't want Okung.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: I am not too upset. Rick Wagner to me seems to be big lability in pass protection.

I would love having Riley here. I don't want Okung.
No. You've got Wagner and Reiff mixed up man. Wagner is far from a liability in pass protection. Reiff is literally a little better version of Kalil. And about as inconsistent as it gets. Read the bold below:
Lions agreed to terms with RT Rick Wagner on a multi-year deal worth in excess of $9 million annually.
The Bears are apparently outbidding everyone by a mile for Mike Glennon, but they couldn't beat the Lions' offer to Wagner, who will replace Riley Reiff at right tackle in Detroit. 27-year-old Wagner was one of the NFL's premier pass-blocking right tackles last season and holds his own in the running game. Largely durable, Wagner has started at least 14 games in three straight seasons. The deal makes him the NFL's second-highest paid right tackle behind Lane Johnson, who is being paid as a future left tackle in Philadelphia.
-Chazz Palminteri
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: ...unreal. No less we let him fall right in our own division. But lets go get more injury prone tackles like Okung or Clady and hope everything is ok.....oh wait, or maybe Mr. Inconsistency Matt Kalil 2.0 in Riley Reiff. :wallbang: And we wonder why this OL wont get any better. Because we never want to spend any money on it via FA and dont draft them. We just get a bunch of has-beens

I know this is disappointing to you....but it really shouldn't come as much of a surprise. There are few teams who don't need tackle help. Does he fit the Scheme well? No. The current Vikings don't chase and spend on these break the bank FA.....not there style. They have always been much more likely to land a top teir guard in FA. More bang for there buck there too! They'll get some tackle help....it will be enough to get them by in there quick hitting system. The run game is where they need the most help.....interior OL will be of greater benefit there too.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Alaskan wrote:
I know this is disappointing to you....but it really shouldn't come as much of a surprise. There are few teams who don't need tackle help. Does he fit the Scheme well? No. The current Vikings don't chase and spend on these break the bank FA.....not there style. They have always been much more likely to land a top teir guard in FA. More bang for there buck there too! They'll get some tackle help....it will be enough to get them by in there quick hitting system. The run game is where they need the most help.....interior OL will be of greater benefit there too.
Problem is, we're short only 1 guard. We are short 2 tackles and it's a much thinner market. You can find capable guards much easier in the draft or FA. The tackle market in both the draft and FA is about as scarce as it gets. I dont have a clue in the world of who they plan on put on either side.

Either way, we let Osemele walk and he turned into a pro bowler no less we just let a possible pro bowler fall in our own division. What was our main problem on the OL last year??? INJURIES. Ricky Wagner missed 2 games in 4 years. But why go get a durable offensive tackle right?? Let's just go get Russell Okung so we can save a few mill to probably pay guys like Matt Kalil and Adrian Peterson and watch them all go down after game 3. God if that happens I'll puke

Only ones I would consider from what I can think of is Whitworth and Reiff (who I'm not really big on). If we go any lower than those two, I'll snap
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Problem is, we're short only 1 guard. We are short 2 tackles and it's a much thinner market. You can find capable guards much easier in the draft or FA. The tackle market in both the draft and FA is about as scarce as it gets. I dont have a clue in the world of who they plan on put on either side.

Either way, we let Osemele walk and he turned into a pro bowler no less we just let a possible pro bowler fall in our own division. What was our main problem on the OL last year??? INJURIES. Ricky Wagner missed 2 games in 4 years. But why go get a durable offensive tackle right?? Let's just go get Russell Okung so we can save a few mill to probably pay guys like Matt Kalil and Adrian Peterson and watch them all go down after game 3. God if that happens I'll puke

Only ones I would consider from what I can think of is Whitworth and Reiff (who I'm not really big on). If we go any lower than those two, I'll snap
Are you sure that ship hasn't sailed? You seem a tad worked up. ;)

It's not as if the Vikes just missed out on the second coming of Anthony Muñoz. You've been insisting for months that Spielman and Zimmer know what they're doing. Why not give them a chance to put whatever plan they've formulated into action?
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Rick has no Problem dropping a #1 and a #4 on Bradford but he is trying to go thrifty fixing the line again.

Quote: Offense Line will be a priority....And it looks like Rick might have found a, end of the line DT and a backup QB. :lol: :lol: