2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Bigwehrm
Starter

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by Bigwehrm »

What a horseshat day of fa by the vikings brass. Not a good o line guy signed. We pick up the lions scraps and scraps is all that's left in FA. And thats all we are gonna find in the draft at our spots. Wow another year of a sucky line. , we suck again or is it we still suck.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Some guys I wouldnt mind signing that are out there for OL:

Sebastian Vollmer
Kelvin Beachum
Ryan Clady
Jordan Mills
TJ Lang
DJ Fluker
Nick Mangold
Steven Wisneiwski
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Just saw we're looking at WR Michael Floyd.....I'll pass
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Some guys I wouldnt mind signing that are out there for OL:

Sebastian Vollmer
Kelvin Beachum
Ryan Clady
Jordan Mills
TJ Lang
DJ Fluker
Nick Mangold
Steven Wisneiwski

Tell me which one of those guys is gonna be in the top 40% at their position?
Vikings28
Starter

Post by Vikings28 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Like I said, what is the point of not paying AD if we are not going to do anything. I get that $18 million is way too much, but what have we done with the extra money?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Still plenty of time left to spend money. Vikings had ~$35M in cap space going into today. We don't know what Reiff got just yet but it's probably a decent sized contract. They still need to add more to the OL and possibly sign guys like Thielen, Munnerlyn, Newman, Patterson, etc. I think they also have to worry about future cap space because of Rhodes and Bradford's next contracts.

I think the point of not paying AD is just simply to not pay AD. That's it. Forget the $18M for a second, even the $6M roster bonus he was due this week is probably too much. Who is going to pay an aging two down RB that kind of money?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Bigwehrm wrote:
I think a decent chunk of them could to be honest. Especially Vollmer, Lang, Mangold even Beachum
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

RT Mike Remmers visiting the Vikings today.

....would be a decent signing.
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Bigwehrm wrote:
I'm not saying hie is the only guy on that list that fits this description, but Lang is certainly a top 10 player at his position.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Norv Zimmer wrote:What does everyone think about Lacy visiting the Vikings? Seems crazy to me, and Packer fans are gonna be all over it "Vikings always take Packers scraps" blah blah
He would be a good signing for any team that needs a bellcow back.

And, I mean, when you sign Packers players like the Vikes do, those comments are obviously going to be stated.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mike Remmers, OT, FA
Free agent offensive tackle Mike Remmers is visiting the Vikings today and the Texans tomorrow.
Source: PFT

Side-note: Remmers was once on our practice squad.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I was pretty ticked off last night that we didn't get anyone who could play LT. However, I slept on it and came to a few more reasonable conclusions:

1.) A lot of these flashy deals end up with minimal payoff. The Osweiller deal least year is a good example. Suh's deal with Miami a few years back is another one. More local examples would be Greg Jennings and Mike Wallace.

2.) The state of our Tackle play last season was HORRIBLE. TJ Clemmings was the worst Tackle in the NFL and by a fair margin. Sirles was at better than that, but not by much. So even if we end up not signing the top names, the reality is that just about ANYBODY we get will be a marked improvement over what we say last season. Reilly Reiff will be a vast upgrade at RT.

3.) Given the rest of the roster we do not need a world beater OL like they have in DAL. We just need one that isn't so awful it sabotages 70% of our drives.

4.) In a lot of ways I bought into the hype of the moment and allowed the sports media to get me excited about stupid stuff. Given the above and the fact that we have a lot of defensive talent to resign, I'm at a place where I'm glad they didn't break the bank on some of the bigger names.

5.) I'm a bit worried about ST. If Patterson goes we will have lost our Punter/Holder and our top return man in one offsesaon. I'm probably in the minority, but I sincerely hope they find a way to get Patterson back. ST has been a big positive for this team and I'd hate to lose the advantage.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote: He would be a good signing for any team that needs a bellcow back.

And, I mean, when you sign Packers players like the Vikes do, those comments are obviously going to be stated.
I want nothing to do with Lacy. Too inconsistent when it comes to injuries and play. I'd rather find a cheaper option
-Chazz Palminteri
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

mansquatch wrote:
5.) I'm a bit worried about ST. If Patterson goes we will have lost our Punter/Holder and our top return man in one offsesaon. I'm probably in the minority, but I sincerely hope they find a way to get Patterson back. ST has been a big positive for this team and I'd hate to lose the advantage.
Agree....they need to secure Patterson for sure.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

autobon7 wrote: Agree....they need to secure Patterson for sure.
Technically we don't even have a place kicker, right? Special Teams is a mess right now.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Technically we don't even have a place kicker, right? Special Teams is a mess right now.

It fits right in with how I'm feeling about the rest of the team.

:puke: