2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote:In an ideal world we wouldn't be looking for an RB whose best skill is blocking ... but considering this offensive line perhaps it's smart :P
I'm guessing we'll be passing 60-70 percent of snaps, so pass blocking, receiving, and making the most out of opportunities to run the ball are the three areas the team is probably trying to find a balance of in their HB. I'm guessing they'll draft a pure runner for short yardage and the occassional early down. Murray and McKinnon will both probably fit pretty well in the offense outside of that.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

5thWave wrote:Personally, I think the addition of one of the league's best pass blocking backs will encourage more intermediate/deep passing. We shall see shan't we?
Yeah I think that will definitely help!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

The two things I like about Murray is his ability to pass block and pick up the blitz (which should make the offense more flexible, less predictable) , and he's one of the better short yardage backs. Two things that needed improvement this year. Also seems like he protects the ball (only 2 fumbles last year). Sounds like he will fit well with the Vikings.

Drafting an RB this year is not as important now.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote:The two things I like about Murray is his ability to pass block and pick up the blitz (which should make the offense more flexible, less predictable) , and he's one of the better short yardage backs. Two things that needed improvement this year. Also seems like he protects the ball (only 2 fumbles last year). Sounds like he will fit well with the Vikings.

Drafting an RB this year is not as important now.
I agree regarding the traits he possesses but this is essentially a 1 year deal. So we need a plan if he doesnt work out. So I would still say drafting a RB is AS important. Granted we feel a little more secure with him but we still need to draft one.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I agree regarding the traits he possesses but this is essentially a 1 year deal. So we need a plan if he doesnt work out. So I would still say drafting a RB is AS important. Granted we feel a little more secure with him but we still need to draft one.
RB is one position where they can start as a rookie. The Vikings really could wait till 2018 if nothing falls into their lap this year. At least we won't see them reaching early for a RB.

4h
lataviusmurrayThere wasn't a thought in my mind to try and wear or ask for the #28. I have too much respect for AP and so much respect for what he's done and what he means to this organization. Many people don't know, but I wore the #28 as a kid because of Fred Taylor who played for the Jaguars at the time. When AP came onto the scene and Fred retired, he was my reason for keeping #28. I want to say to Vikings fans: I'm not here to replace #28, he's irreplaceable. I'm not here to be #28, there's no one like him. I ask that you accept me for the player I am and know that I'm here to give you all I got and to win #skol
Last edited by 808vikingsfan on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote: RB is one position where they can start as a rookie. The Vikings really could wait till 2018 if nothing falls into their lap this year. At least we won't see them reaching early for a RB this year.
Ehh I mean it all depends. They'd be crazy to pass on this class. If a guy like Mixon is sitting there in round 2, I would take him in a heartbeat
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

808vikingsfan wrote: RB is one position where they can start as a rookie. The Vikings really could wait till 2018 if nothing falls into their lap this year. At least we won't see them reaching early for a RB.

Pick 48 is going to be a Safety or a TE. I doubt they'll take a RB before the 4th rd.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Dakotavike
Starter

Post by Dakotavike »

I agree PHP. I'm ok with the Murray signing but I absolutely think we still need to draft a potential RB of the future. I think Murray will be ok but he's not going to light the world on fire. Personally, I just thinks this takes a little pressure off the 2nd round pick. It's no longer a position of need and now they can go a different direction with that pick if they're so inclined. On a side note, does anybody else have a sinking feeling that AP is going to go into angry mode and make us regret not taking him back? I just hope he doesn't end up in our division!
Last edited by Dakotavike on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Ehh I mean it all depends. They'd be crazy to pass on this class. If a guy like Mixon is sitting there in round 2, I would take him in a heartbeat

I agree. If someone falls like that, I don't think they have a choice. But would you still take Perine in round 3?
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Ben Goessling‏
@GoesslingESPN

Should be a cap hit of $2.956 million in 2017 for Murray.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Dakotavike wrote:I agree PHP. I'm ok with the Murray signing but I absolutely think we still need to draft a potential RB of the future. I think Murray will be ok but he's not going to light the world on fire. Personally, I just thinks this takes a little pressure off the 2nd round pick. It's no longer a position of need and now they can go a different direction with that pick if they're so inclined. On a side note, does anybody else have a sinking feeling that AP is going to go into angry mode and make us regret not taking him back? I just hope he doesn't end up in our division!
Yes, I have that same feeling.

I also agree with you and Mike (PHP) that the Vikings would be wise to draft a potential RB of the future this year.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Re: Datone Jones, I think it was Zimm (maybe Rick) that said they like to grab 1st round guys that haven't lived up to their potential. 1st round guys have the athleticism but haven't panned out for one reason or another but one of those reasons could be poor coaching. I'm not saying Jones is going to be a monster but it aligns with their FA philosophy and Zimmer is pretty good at getting the most out of players.

Also very glad to see Thielen signed. It's always great to see a long shot put in the effort, put up results, and get paid. He's a bit like the Sherels of the offense.
FrenchVikes
Waterboy

Post by FrenchVikes »

I really liked what Murray said about the number 28 and AP , it shows the character of the man.
And i agree about Mixon, if he falls to us at the 2nd round, we should take him (from what i saw, he has a lot of potential)
If not the Oline must be the priority !
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

losperros wrote: Regarding Murray's speed, he is quick but not all that fast. Murray is the kind of guy who can burst through the line and accelerate, though D players can then run him down from behind. Very good acceleration with average sustained speed. Still, that's not bad because as a big back his acceleration and breaking tackles is more important than him outrunning everyone.
To me it looks as if the Vikings might be employing a dink and dunk offense. That's not one of my favorite offensive styles.

Admittedly, I could be wrong about what they're doing. It's too early to tell.
I don't see it that way.

Shoring up the O-line, or at least attempting to shore it up, gives SB more time to throw downfield. Signing Latavius Murray means they're trying to throw more to backs out of the backfield, allowing receivers to run deeper routes. Throwing to backs isn't dink and dunk. It's a substitute for the power running game.

And re-signing Adam Thielen is a big step. Now, I fully realize that some idiot Packer fans (including at least one on this board, who shall remain nameless) laugh when I compare Adam Thielen to Jordy Nelson before Jordy Nelson became Jordy Nelson, but I don't see it as a stretch at all. He's tall, fast, and tough. He's had to work his butt off for everything he's ever gotten, and he's never had the luxury of having Aaron Rodgers throwing to him. I believe Adam Thielen -- not Stefon Diggs -- emerges as the Vikings' true deep threat in 2017. You heard it here first.

And we're not done with free agency. Or the draft.

Hang in there. I know we're Vikings fans, and it may actually be against the law, but have a little optimism! :)
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

FrenchVikes wrote:I really liked what Murray said about the number 28 and AP , it shows the character of the man.
I like it, too. And I appreciate his plea for Vikings fans to accept him for who he is because neither he nor anyone else is ever going to replace Adrian Peterson. That's a classy thing to say. It's not easy to be the guy following the legend.

I look at it this way. If Murray gives us 600 yards rushing and 300 yards receiving, we're ahead of where we've been for 2 of the past 3 years. Sorry guys, but it's the truth. AP hasn't played much, and nobody else has produced at close to even that level.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.