2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

FrenchVikes
Waterboy

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by FrenchVikes »

Okay so Murray just signed with us, i'm curious too about the contract but really satisfy about the sign !
I'm just a little anxious about if he will be able to perform the same way with us, because the Raiders Oline was better...

Anyway, so it means that AP will go somewhere else...?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I don't think k it completely closes the door on AD, but it isn't open very wide now.
Did we replace Asiata?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Reading thus guy's Rotoworld news doesn't inspire much confidence honestly.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/858 ... ius-murray
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:So they dont want to take a chance on ex Packer, Lacy, but sign a bust like ex Packer Datone Jones???

And now they are talking to Murry for RB? The guy cant catch, and is probably half of AD's speed and initial burst (and no, I dont want AD back).

This is the type of signings and cuts Rick does. I cant wait till he is cut. He has done nothing for this team. Any good we have seen in players/drafts come mainly from Zimmer.
I'm not opining either way on Murray, but the guy ran 4.38 at the combine at 225 pounds, so he's not slow. He also runs half his snaps out of the shotgun and runs a lot of pass routes. He's actually considered good in the passing game, even though his numbers are pedestrian. That could be more a function of the Raiders having an excellent pass blocking O-line and excellent receivers who get open a lot.

What I see in this move is more of a commitment to a modern NFL passing attack. It looks to me like the Vikings are transitioning out of a pass-to-support-the-run offense, and for me that's a step in the right direction. Whether Murray is the right man for the job remains to be seen, but I like the direction.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:So they dont want to take a chance on ex Packer, Lacy, but sign a bust like ex Packer Datone Jones???

And now they are talking to Murry for RB? The guy cant catch, and is probably half of AD's speed and initial burst (and no, I dont want AD back).

This is the type of signings and cuts Rick does. I cant wait till he is cut. He has done nothing for this team. Any good we have seen in players/drafts come mainly from Zimmer.
Is there something wrong not "taking a chance on a 267 pound back? Jones was a one year deal, it's not like we signed him long term. I wouldn't classify him as a bust. GB never let him settle in at a specific position.

Murray can't catch?? Where are you getting that info from? Because wherever it is, it's false. He has 70+ receptions the last 2 years.

Last comment is pretty funny.....any good players come from Zimmer huh? And how do you know that? Do you sit in the draft room and listen in?? There's no way to know that so that comment is complete speculation
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Murray seems like a good signing to me. Mostly we need a guy who can be versatile back there in order to make Shurmer' offense tick. Murray seems to be able to do that even if he is not an elite player at the position. Getting Thielen back is also good, losing him would have been a catastrophe.

At this point our offense has a slight question at RG, to which currently Sirles looks to be their short term answer. Perhaps more concerning, it continues to lack a true redzone threat outside of Rudolph. This latter point worries me. In a single season our rushing attack has shifted to the more "scat back" type of play in conjunction with WR group that is overall pretty good, but lacks a dominant player. A big prove it for this unit going into the season will be effectiveness inside the 20. That was a huge issue in 2016 and one that I'm not sure just addressing OL will fix. (it will help.) This also points to 2017 being a significant opportunity for Treadwell to emerge as the big physicaly WR we hoped he could be.

Overall, this isn't a terrible place to be. On paper this should be an offense that can carry a bit water for the defense as opposed to entirely depending on it to win the day. Also, the team has very quietly put themselves in a position where they are not forced to draft need and instead can draft BPA / depth as well finding players for the future.

I'm optimistic for the 2017 season. If the offense can even be average while continue it's trend of strong ball security then this could be a highly competitive team. Having a 3rd place schedule will also help.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I'm not opining either way on Murray, but the guy ran 4.38 at the combine at 225 pounds, so he's not slow. He also runs half his snaps out of the shotgun and runs a lot of pass routes. He's actually considered good in the passing game, even though his numbers are pedestrian. That could be more a function of the Raiders having an excellent pass blocking O-line and excellent receivers who get open a lot.
Regarding Murray's speed, he is quick but not all that fast. Murray is the kind of guy who can burst through the line and accelerate, though D players can then run him down from behind. Very good acceleration with average sustained speed. Still, that's not bad because as a big back his acceleration and breaking tackles is more important than him outrunning everyone.
J. Kapp 11 wrote:What I see in this move is more of a commitment to a modern NFL passing attack. It looks to me like the Vikings are transitioning out of a pass-to-support-the-run offense, and for me that's a step in the right direction. Whether Murray is the right man for the job remains to be seen, but I like the direction.
To me it looks as if the Vikings might be employing a dink and dunk offense. That's not one of my favorite offensive styles.

Admittedly, I could be wrong about what they're doing. It's too early to tell.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

As I said earlier, I think their red zone effectiveness is probably the biggest open question right now. they've addressed most of their needs outside of RG being a partial.

A point to bare in mind on this: Our Tackles last season were historically bad. We've replaced them with guys who are NOT world beaters, but are average NFL veterans. Even though average isn't sexy, it is a world apart from what we've seen the past two seasons at RT and probably the past four seasons at LT. That is a BIG improvement even if it is not a glamorous. Another significant change in the case of Reiff vs. Kalil/Loadholt is that Reiff has shown himself to be durable in the NFL game. That is also a significant enhancement. (I'm not sure on Remmers injury history which I was I didn't comment on him.)

The Offense has a long way to go before it is ever even talked about in the same circles as Atlanta, but it should be considered that with the quality of our defense, it doesn't need to be the heart and soul of the team. It just needs to be able to make plays and score some points and provide balance. I think they've made significant strides towards that goal.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: Regarding Murray's speed, he is quick but not all that fast. Murray is the kind of guy who can burst through the line and accelerate, though D players can then run him down from behind. Very good acceleration with average sustained speed. Still, that's not bad because as a big back his acceleration and breaking tackles is more important than him outrunning everyone.
To me it looks as if the Vikings might be employing a dink and dunk offense. That's not one of my favorite offensive styles.

Admittedly, I could be wrong about what they're doing. It's too early to tell.
It is too early too tell but things are trending toward dink and dunk. Thrilling.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

As long as they keep the chains moving AND improve in the red zone I'd be ok with dink and dunk.......just not as thrilling.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
It is too early too tell but things are trending toward dink and dunk. Thrilling.
Its pretty clear that's the direction. I think they'll still take deep shots but they won't be long developing plays unless they figure out ways to freeze the pass rush with misdirection.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

autobon7 wrote:As long as they keep the chains moving AND improve in the red zone I'd be ok with dink and dunk.......just not as thrilling.
So many times they got behind the chains and couldn't gain anything positive from designed runs.

Bradford threw for nearly career high in yards and was just behind David Carr in yards/attempt. I think with a year experience with the team/staff and an offseason with the team he will improve on those stats

Not to mention the upgrades to personnel and developing chemistry 3rd down conversion and red zone success should go up...I hope.
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

Personally, I think the addition of one of the league's best pass blocking backs will encourage more intermediate/deep passing. We shall see shan't we?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

In an ideal world we wouldn't be looking for an RB whose best skill is blocking ... but considering this offensive line perhaps it's smart :P
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:In an ideal world we wouldn't be looking for an RB whose best skill is blocking ... but considering this offensive line perhaps it's smart :P
:lol: