TRADES! Young capital on the Market?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: TRADES! Young capital on the Market?

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Alaskan wrote: I've seen your Mock. Its a good Mock. I could pick it apart, but why. I have my doubts it will play out that way. Its not like we are the only team looking for O linemen. I am not saying we should just trade away our better players, but if it is a value play to trade some of our better players to improve our overall football team, I am all for it.
I understand where you're coming from. I just think there are a lot more possibilities to fix the OL other than trading
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

TexasVike,

Don't worry about being a downer on my account. Its your opinion, your entitled it. I don't agree, but it doesn't mean your opinion is less valuable. I understand your concern's with trading Diggs. Griffen would be an option to trade. A good one IMO. Patriots just got a 2nd and a O linemen for Chandler Jones a year ago.

I know its not all that common anymore in the NFL and most people don't consider it to be a realistic option for the Vikings to make a trade or trades, and that's fine. I happen to think it should be looked at seriously by the organization, there are some players I feel we could "flip" for great value and not miss all that much. The Patriots, just in the last year have traded away some of there top defensive talent (Jones & Collins) and still had the #1 Defense in the league from a points allowed standpoint. They also added Bennett, Rowe and Van Noy via trades this year.....so talk about trades not being an option, realistic or beneficial all you want, the best organization in the modern era has used them successfully.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Blockbuster trades really don't happen these days. The Bradford trade was an exception. Look at trades over the last year, its mostly trades of late round picks for players people don't know about.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/trade/
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

720pete wrote:Blockbuster trades really don't happen these days. The Bradford trade was an exception. Look at trades over the last year, its mostly trades of late round picks for players people don't know about.

Yes thats another reason I say a lot of this talk is unrealistic
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Alaskan wrote:TexasVike,

Don't worry about being a downer on my account. Its your opinion, your entitled it. I don't agree, but it doesn't mean your opinion is less valuable. I understand your concern's with trading Diggs. Griffen would be an option to trade. A good one IMO. Patriots just got a 2nd and a O linemen for Chandler Jones a year ago.

I know its not all that common anymore in the NFL and most people don't consider it to be a realistic option for the Vikings to make a trade or trades, and that's fine. I happen to think it should be looked at seriously by the organization, there are some players I feel we could "flip" for great value and not miss all that much. The Patriots, just in the last year have traded away some of there top defensive talent (Jones & Collins) and still had the #1 Defense in the league from a points allowed standpoint. They also added Bennett, Rowe and Van Noy via trades this year.....so talk about trades not being an option, realistic or beneficial all you want, the best organization in the modern era has used them successfully.
Griffen is an interesting one although I would be hesitant as he's not only a great player but also one of the leaders on the team. Especially if Greenway retires, there'd be a tangible drop in leadership. But he might be one of the few realistic options. I don't think they can trade Diggs especially if AD doesn't come back. Trading Treadwell would be buying high and selling low.

If the Vikings didn't have so many picks in this draft I would consider this more heavily but restructuring/moving on from AD plus all the "prove it" contracts expiring, I think they should be able to build a line via FA & draft. I'd rather they keep the team nucleus intact as long as possible.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

S197 wrote: Griffen is an interesting one although I would be hesitant as he's not only a great player but also one of the leaders on the team. Especially if Greenway retires, there'd be a tangible drop in leadership. But he might be one of the few realistic options. I don't think they can trade Diggs especially if AD doesn't come back. Trading Treadwell would be buying high and selling low.

If the Vikings didn't have so many picks in this draft I would consider this more heavily but restructuring/moving on from AD plus all the "prove it" contracts expiring, I think they should be able to build a line via FA & draft. I'd rather they keep the team nucleus intact as long as possible.

Good points! Griffen is a leader on this team and that definitely adds to his value. This is most likely the way it will pan out. Diggs only came up for me because I think they could buy low sell high with him. He's very unlikely to be going anywhere as he's probably a top canidate for face of the franchise if AD leaves.

Mostly, I thought it would be interesting/fun to talk about trades and value of existing personnel on the trade market during this time of year when not much is going on in the Football world. Kind of like a Mock. It didn't really work out as I planned.....I should have steered the thread a little better I guess.

I do believe the team should seriously look to improve through possible trades though. It works for the Patriots.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think it's been a good discussion and you had some interesting scenarios. One of the things you brought home is trading means sacrifice if you want someone good. Some feel as though we can trade a Jarius Wright or equivalent and get a decent pick or player. That's just not realistic, if he has little value here he's going to have little value in trade.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

720pete wrote:Blockbuster trades really don't happen these days. The Bradford trade was an exception. Look at trades over the last year, its mostly trades of late round picks for players people don't know about.

Great link. Looks to me like the Patriots build a large part of there Defense thorough trades and added some important pieces on Offense as well. Several successfully teams were active.

Doesn't have to be a Blockbuster trade to improve the football team. A lot of things can add value, dumping a player who is going to ask for big money, adding a player, creating cap room, getting additional picks etc..... Trades can be an effective tool, they shouldn't be discounted as unrealistic....its simply not true.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:I think it's been a good discussion and you had some interesting scenarios. One of the things you brought home is trading means sacrifice if you want someone good. Some feel as though we can trade a Jarius Wright or equivalent and get a decent pick or player. That's just not realistic, if he has little value here he's going to have little value in trade.
I dont think he has little value here. It's just we have a lot of depth at that position. There are a lot of teams out there that could really utilize him as a slot WR or even as a #2 in some cases. The Patriots traded AJ Derby.....

let me repeat.....

AJ Derby to the Denver Broncos for a 5th round pick. Granted the guy is younger and costs less than Wright but Wright is definitely the superior player. I think we can get a 6th for the guy if the situation was right.

But either way, nobody on here seems to be saying we can get a good player for Wright. Or a good pick. But he definitely holds trade value. We could get a depth-type OL for him or a 6-7th round pick for sure. We don't have to trade a good player away to get a good player. I mean if we HAD to trade then yeah. But we are at the point where we dont HAVE to and can pick through the draft and FA
-Chazz Palminteri
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

S197 wrote:I think it's been a good discussion and you had some interesting scenarios. One of the things you brought home is trading means sacrifice if you want someone good. Some feel as though we can trade a Jarius Wright or equivalent and get a decent pick or player. That's just not realistic, if he has little value here he's going to have little value in trade.
Agree with your point. I understand you were using Jarius Wright as an example to make your point. Having said that, I see Wright's value as possible late round pick or project o linemen. More than that it would free up some more cap space. Depending what they do with the FA receivers, they may dump him for whatever they can get.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/ ... nterested/

Thought it was worth sharing. They have more pressing needs, but might be a value here. Philly doesn't seem to value him much in there current system.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Alaskan wrote:http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/ ... nterested/

Thought it was worth sharing. They have more pressing needs, but might be a value here. Philly doesn't seem to value him much in there current system.
Sure, I'd be interested.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Alaskan wrote:http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/ ... nterested/

I'd pass.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote: I'd pass.
I didn't read the article but for me it would depend on what Philly wanted. Greenway is probably retiring and Barr seemed to regress some, so you never know about where the Vikings will be with their LB corps.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: I'd pass.
Given the salary, I can't see they'd get more than a 6th or 7th. Mychal would be a great addition in base 4-3 manning the middle. I'd give a 6th round pick for that.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins