Do we bring Captain Munnerlyn back?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Do we bring Captain Munnerlyn back?

Post by autobon7 »

I think we should seeing as how Alexander does not seem to be the least bit ready. Only way I see him not get an offer is if he is expecting big money. What do you guys think?
Banquo
Backup

Re: Do we bring Captain Munnerlyn back?

Post by Banquo »

I don't think so unless it's short and relatively cheap. They're going to have to pay out for Rhodes soon, and they'll want to be in good position to be able to extend Waynes at some point. Alexander is off to a slow start, but corners traditionally take time to get going in this system. That was true in Cincy too.

But if you can get him on an inexpensive 2-3 year deal, then fine.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Banquo wrote:I don't think so unless it's short and relatively cheap. They're going to have to pay out for Rhodes soon, and they'll want to be in good position to be able to extend Waynes at some point. Alexander is off to a slow start, but corners traditionally take time to get going in this system. That was true in Cincy too.

But if you can get him on an inexpensive 2-3 year deal, then fine.
I don't think he would be too expensive. He's a great Nickle CB who can start if needed. He is important for depth.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Banquo
Backup

Post by Banquo »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I don't think he would be too expensive. He's a great Nickle CB who can start if needed. He is important for depth.
So what are you thinking? Like 2 years, 10M with 6 guaranteed? Because something like that would be fine, but you just never know anymore. Financially, corner has become a premium position.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a stellar cornerback draft class.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I don't think he would be too expensive. He's a great Nickle CB who can start if needed. He is important for depth.
I agree. It would be a mistake to let Munnerlyn go. There's always going to be a need for him, he knows Zimmers' D, and he plays good football.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I don't think he would be too expensive. He's a great Nickle CB who can start if needed. He is important for depth.
Agreed
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Banquo wrote: So what are you thinking? Like 2 years, 10M with 6 guaranteed? Because something like that would be fine, but you just never know anymore. Financially, corner has become a premium position.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a stellar cornerback draft class.
I think it would need to be an amount around there to bring him back. Alexander is going to need to start producing and the focus needs to be on Rhodes. It'd be great to have Captain back but we need to focus a lot of this offseason's cash elsewhere.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Unless he is willing to sign for a less than market contract (not sure why he would?), time to move on.

they have to pay for Rhodes (1st round pick), they have Waynes (1st round pick), and Alexander (2nd round pick). Jabari Price has shown some promise as a developmental late round pick.

How much can they invest in 1 position when the OL is a complete and utter debacle?

Time for some balance.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingPaul73 wrote:Unless he is willing to sign for a less than market contract (not sure why he would?), time to move on.

they have to pay for Rhodes (1st round pick), they have Waynes (1st round pick), and Alexander (2nd round pick). Jabari Price has shown some promise as a developmental late round pick.

How much can they invest in 1 position when the OL is a complete and utter debacle?

Time for some balance.
Not sure how Price has showed promise. We hardly ever see the guy on the field. If they make the right cuts (Peterson and Fusco) then they should have no problem bringing him back at a reasonable price. I would take him on a 2 year deal any day of the week. It's not like he's going to command a 5 year deal. He knows what its like to change systems and the struggles that come along with it. I would think he wants to come back here.

The problem with letting him go is that we have Rhodes, Waynes and Alexander but if any of them went down, we could be in trouble. Especially if Newman retires. Keep him and start Rhodes and Waynes on the outside. Alexander gives you great depth as he develops and he can play outside or inside.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

No thanks.
Try to find someone to fill whatever role it is you want him to fill.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote:No thanks.
Try to find someone to fill whatever role it is you want him to fill.
:lol: that is because you haven't been a fan of his from the start claiming he was the "worlds greatest slot midget", even though he proved you wrong the following two years after that. Along with the "fat guy with a bullet in his leg", Linval Joseph. Why take a vet that has a few good years left in him and KNOWS Zims system away to sign or draft someone that doesnt? So you can complain about a guy because it's his first year in the system and he isn't performing well, similar to what you did with Cap and Joseph their first years. It's pretty clear that this system is complicated first year guys. Look at Joseph, Waynes, Cap, Alexander, etc. Alexander is sitting there waiting to fill that role but there is nothing wrong with keeping Cap. He's been a very good nickel CB for us the last two years. Why can't we keep Cap like we did Newman and gradually get Alexander in there like we did with Waynes/Newman??? Why force Alexander into a role??

Keeping Cap is a no-brainer if you ask me
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Unless Captain wants a small fortune, i say we keep him, as a backup. I'd like to find a little better guy, but at the leaast Captain give us good depth. Plus Im not a huge believer in Waynes or Alexander this years. Its kinda like when we should have kept Winfield one more year, after working on his contract to lower it a bit..
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

He is just an OK player at this point. He isnt worth a big investment and he isnt going to make or break or defense.
Much like AP's career, our defense has BEEN really good but is aging with each wasted season. I think we are going to see their performance tapering off in the next yrs and it is going to take some very smart trades/drafts, etc to maintain or improve on defense. They have been asked to carry a huge load the last few years to make up for a horrid offense. It cant continue.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

chicagopurple wrote:He is just an OK player at this point. He isnt worth a big investment and he isnt going to make or break or defense.
Much like AP's career, our defense has BEEN really good but is aging with each wasted season. I think we are going to see their performance tapering off in the next yrs and it is going to take some very smart trades/drafts, etc to maintain or improve on defense. They have been asked to carry a huge load the last few years to make up for a horrid offense. It cant continue.
Has Zimmer ever had a "bad" defense in his career. I'm not one bit worried when it comes to that. And you say Munnerlyn isnt worth a "big investment". He'll be 29 when the offseason hits. It's not like we're going to give him a 5 year deal. This is my point this thread. It will probably be a 1-2 year contract if we offer him something so why not??!!
-Chazz Palminteri
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I agree. I just hope they dont over spend because he is one of Zims besties.....