Done, I have zero interest in following the 2017 Vikings!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

joe h
Veteran

Done, I have zero interest in following the 2017 Vikings!

Post by joe h »

This is the packers 3rd NFC championship appearance since favre carried the Vikings into that game! How can viking fans not be pissed off at the fact we wasted 8 years! 8 years and the packers will likely be heading to their second super bowl. The damn packers have more nfcc appearances than seasons the Vikings finished better than .500, hell of gm right there I tell yeah. The whole thing is a #### joke, only 3 out of 8 seasons finishing 8 and 8, or better, and that piece of #### gets to keep his job and waste another year for us. 2018 cannot get here soon enough so Ziggy will finally be forced to fix this madness!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Done, I have zero interest in following the 2017 Vikings

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I'm not sure how to even react to this post. One, I don't think anyone is "happy" with how this year went so yeah, fans are ticked. Two, not sure why you're looking forward to 2018 for Zygi to fix this so-called "mess" you mention of. Because we have a bad OL the team is a mess now??
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Does this mean you'll be a packers fan for the '17 season?
Barry
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Barry »

Pissed off and zero interest are two different things. I may get pissed as a fan ( I do and I am), but I will NEVER have zero interest.
Fan of:
Hanahan Hawks
South Carolina Gamecocks
Minnesota Vikings
Charleston Battery
FC Bayern München
USMNT & Die Nationalmannschaft
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I have lost a lot of interest in the Vikings. If my interest level was 100 at its peak, I'm around a 15 now. Partly I've lost interest in football generally, the NFL specifically. (The game isn't the same, and it isn't much fun. The HS game is considerably better). Partly its the Vikings and the fan base that turned me off. At this point my main interest seems to be in story lines that grab my attention, players that interest me, and the general strategic dimension of the game...I missed several games this year without missing them at all (the last game I'd missed was nearly a decade ago). I cancelled my TV service and don't plan on having Sunday Ticket for the upcoming season. Perhaps I'll get pulled back in. Given my interests at this point I often find the offseason/FA/Draft to be the most interesting time of the NFL season. I could see myself leaving the Vikings and the NFL behind but to fully do it I think I'd need to find something to replace that role in my life. Not sure what that would be yet.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I'm not sure how to even react to this post. One, I don't think anyone is "happy" with how this year went so yeah, fans are ticked. Two, not sure why you're looking forward to 2018 for Zygi to fix this so-called "mess" you mention of. Because we have a bad OL the team is a mess now??
I think he's suggesting Rick Spielman will be fired by then.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

My interest level is pretty low. I mean
two years to fix an OL and we keep paying
Kalil and drafting poorly on OL players.

Football used to be an escape from political
correctness and everything other than just
just raw physical hits. Now the league is full
Of idiot players using twitter and having me
first mentality. Losing refs, missing calls on
weekly basis.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

2009, we're a back foot throw away from the super bowl. The next season everything falls off the rails, the packers win a super bowl, and the so called rebuilding starts. We kept telling ourselves give Spielman time, he is building through the draft. Then we tell ourselves, Frazier was the problem, maybe the Vikings do better if Spielman has full control of the coaching staff. The Vikings let 8 years go bye and all we have to show for it are two winning seasons! meanwhile the packers have made the playoffs every year since. For the most part, Thompson has built a dynasty. While Spielman has had years of either multiple first round picks, and top ten picks, yet they still require 99% of his starters remain healthy just to finish with a winning record. The packers don't even need a healthy Rodgers for half a season, and they still find a way to back into the playoffs. I wasted 8 years following this mess, and I have zero interest in continuing. We have a few pieces to build around, but the scouting department on the offensive side needs to be gutted. Our special teams coach needs to take a hike(he should have made it known that Walsh and Locke had to go last season). Unfortunately nothing changes until it becomes clear to the wilf's that we've been spinning our wheels for 8 years and the fan base has had enough. It isn't like they're doing a gm carousel, they gave the guy at least 6 years, plus 3 years of full control, he has no one else to blame for this mess.

And we're not just a couple lineman away from the super bowl, we also need a place kicker, punter, mlb, running back, back up quarter back if teddy doesn't return. Plus 5 average starting lineman, and at least two or three backups. And then we'll be even with the packers. I doubt it is happening this off season, which is why I'm not wasting any time watching the same product next season.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I think the business side of the NFL has gradually eroded it's entertainment value but it's still fun for me. What's less fun is watching the Vikes flail about trying to put together a winner and coming up far short of the mark too often. They've managed to make headlines for the wrong reasons too many times over the years too and that's no fun either.

My interest in the team hasn't waned but my enthusiasm for them varies and it's at a relatively low point right now. I absolutely understand Joe's frustration with Rick Spielman. I share some of FiestaVike's frustration with the fan base too, although I don't know if it's for the same reasons.

Mainly, I'm just tired of seeing the Vikings struggle while other teams succeed. Spielman's been botching his job(s) for too long and ownership needs to realize that and move on.

Let's not lose sight of what's fun about the Vikings either. For example, it's fun to watch an underdog player like Thielen work his way up the depth chart and put together a solid year like he just had. It's fun to watch Patterson take a kick return the distance.

I think we're all just ready to see that fun in the context of a great season with a truly satisfying ending. :)
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Speilman has done some great things, Just not enough of them to warrant him staying around. After 2-3 rebuilds it's time to let him go else we become the new Lions before too long
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Here is a fun stat for you: Since 2001 the AFC champion has been one of three guys in all but two seasons: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Big Ben. The two exceptions were Rich Gannon in 2002 and Joe Flacco in 2012.

The NFC by contrast has had 12 different QBs represent it's champion in that time. The only repeats are Kurt Warner (with 2 different teams), Eli Manning, and Russel Wilson, each with 2 wins. IMO, this should offer us some consolation.

Another fun stat. Ages of the starting QBs in 2016:

Matt Ryan: 31 (FWIW, he is the odd guy here, has he taken the next step?)
Aaron Rogers: 33
Ben Roethlisburger: 34
Tom Brady: 39

All 4 guys are with the team that drafted them. (This isn't a shocker at all, if you had a franshise QB you'd pay him any sum to stay.) Another fun fact I'm not going to take the time to figure out: How many QBs have washed out of the league since Brady was drafted? How many are in their 8th or 9th season?

This is year where the veteran elite QBs are the kings. The three strongest defensive teams to make it to the playoffs were HOU, SEA and KC, all hampered by injuries to some of their key players (Watt, Houston, and Thomas.) This season represents a bit of a deviation from the past three where the dominant defense went to the SB. (and won it twice.) The question is whether this marks a change or if it is an aberration?

IMO, it is the latter. The Dallas team that went 13-3 this year was deeply flawed. The QBs we are seeing play next weekend are not doing anything new that they haven't done in the past. There have not been any major rule changes either. This is just a year where none of the defensive teams had enough balance to win the big games: SEA misses Lynch and Wilson was injured most of the season, losing Thomas in the playoffs hurt a lot. Oswieller is not playing well enough for HOU to win it all. KC didn't have enough offensive punch yesterday and their best defensive player, Houston, wasn't playing at 100%. CAR went into the tank after a dissappointing SB loss. DEN needs to find better QB play. Our poor Vikings were mired in the Injury abyss and their HC couldn't pull them out of the swamp once the losing started.

What will 2017 hold for the strong defensive teams?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:Here is a fun stat for you: Since 2001 the AFC champion has been one of three guys in all but two seasons: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Big Ben. The two exceptions were Rich Gannon in 2002 and Joe Flacco in 2012.

The NFC by contrast has had 12 different QBs represent it's champion in that time. The only repeats are Kurt Warner (with 2 different teams), Eli Manning, and Russel Wilson, each with 2 wins. IMO, this should offer us some consolation.

Another fun stat. Ages of the starting QBs in 2016:

Matt Ryan: 31 (FWIW, he is the odd guy here, has he taken the next step?)
Aaron Rogers: 33
Ben Roethlisburger: 34
Tom Brady: 39

All 4 guys are with the team that drafted them. (This isn't a shocker at all, if you had a franshise QB you'd pay him any sum to stay.) Another fun fact I'm not going to take the time to figure out: How many QBs have washed out of the league since Brady was drafted? How many are in their 8th or 9th season?

This is year where the veteran elite QBs are the kings. The three strongest defensive teams to make it to the playoffs were HOU, SEA and KC, all hampered by injuries to some of their key players (Watt, Houston, and Thomas.) This season represents a bit of a deviation from the past three where the dominant defense went to the SB. (and won it twice.) The question is whether this marks a change or if it is an aberration?

IMO, it is the latter. The Dallas team that went 13-3 this year was deeply flawed. The QBs we are seeing play next weekend are not doing anything new that they haven't done in the past. There have not been any major rule changes either. This is just a year where none of the defensive teams had enough balance to win the big games: SEA misses Lynch and Wilson was injured most of the season, losing Thomas in the playoffs hurt a lot. Oswieller is not playing well enough for HOU to win it all. KC didn't have enough offensive punch yesterday and their best defensive player, Houston, wasn't playing at 100%. CAR went into the tank after a dissappointing SB loss. DEN needs to find better QB play. Our poor Vikings were mired in the Injury abyss and their HC couldn't pull them out of the swamp once the losing started.

What will 2017 hold for the strong defensive teams?
We don't know who will be in the Super Bowl this year but you've overlooked something significant above. Do you realize which team allowed the fewest average points per game this season? It was the Patriots (and by a significant margin). They allowed an average of 15.6 ppg and finished 8th in the defensive rankings by yardage allowed. It's also worth nothing that when they beat Seattle in the Super Bowl 2 years ago, they also had a top 10 defense in points allowed and were in the top 13 in the yardage rankings.

Pittsburgh's defense was 10th in ppg this season and 12th in the defensive rankings by yardage allowed so they too, are one of the better defensive teams in the league. Regardless of who comes out of the AFC, it will be a team with a good defense that had enough balance to win the big games.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mansquatch wrote:What will 2017 hold for the strong defensive teams?
Not much. Unless they have an offense that can move the ball.

Team balance still is the key. It's what the Pats have been doing lately and it sure works for them.
Banquo
Backup

Post by Banquo »

Sorry for your frustration joe. I'm an orphaned San Diego Chargers fan who's coming over to the Vikes so I guess I'll replace you in the ranks.

Clearly they aren't canning Spielman/Zimmer this offseason. I think that's the right call. Given the good that both have shown, I want to see if they can right the ship with another offseason (and maybe a little health on the roster). If it's more of the same, you fires them both and start over completely. That way, you avoid the mess of a HC working under a GM who didn't hire him or vice versa. I understand the criticisms of both of them, but given the success they had in 2015 I think it's fair to give them a mulligan after losing so many players (especially on offense, which is where they majorly underperformed). Spielman will have his work cut out for him trying to fix the OL this offseason. It isn't a great group-- not in FA or the draft. But that's his job so he better get it done.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: Not much. Unless they have an offense that can move the ball.

Team balance still is the key. It's what the Pats have been doing lately and it sure works for them.
Yes... it helped Seattle get to back-to-back Super Bowls too.