View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:10 pm



Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Vikings Grades: Wide receiver 
Author Message
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
This is Part 3 in the Strib's series grading Vikings players on the 2016 season.

Vikings grades, outlook: Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs carry load for top picks at receiver

Quote:
The Vikings got a lot from two smaller contracts and not enough from their top picks at wide receiver in 2016. Adam Thielen’s emergence paired with Stefon Diggs, a fifth-round pick two years ago, gives Sam Bradford a potent duo moving forward. Diggs and Thielen, whose combined salary cap hits were under $1.2 million last season (14 percent of cap used at WR), produced 71 percent of yardage at their position.

This offseason they’ll likely lock up Thielen, a restricted free agent, which means the Vikings have right of refusal and can match any offer made by another team or possibly gain a draft pick for losing him. Others, like soon-to-be free agent Cordarrelle Patterson, Charles Johnson and Jarius Wright, could land elsewhere.


The scale:

5 = excellent season
4 = above average
3 = average
2 = below average
1 = failure to perform

The grades:

Adam Thielen (3.5)
Stefon Diggs (3.5)
Cordarrelle Patterson (2.5)
Jarius Wright (2.5)
Charles Johnson (2.0)
Laquon Treadwell (1.5)
Isaac Fruechte (N/A)

I'd bump Patterson's grade up to average but other than that, I think these grades are fair and accurate. I expect to see change in this group next year. Johnson should be replaced Patterson could leave in free agency but I'd like to see him remain with the team. Thielen's situation will be interesting. As an RFA, he could get an attractive offer from another team. how much are the Vikes willing to pay him?

Will Wright be back in 2017? Cutting him would leave a 1.6+ million dead cap hit.


Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:52 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm
Posts: 993
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
I would grade Wright at a 3 or 3.5 even though he received little to no playing time this year. Just basing it on what he has done previously.


Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:36 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Posts: 10040
Location: Burbank, California
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
autobon7 wrote:
I would grade Wright at a 3 or 3.5 even though he received little to no playing time this year. Just basing it on what he has done previously.


So would I. Even this season Wright looked good the few times they used him. And I think there is more the Vikings could do with Patterson. Sure wish they'd try some of the stuff we saw from Musgrave during CP's rookie season.

The Vikings need to retain both these guys, in my view. They finally have a good WR corps. Don't thin it out.

I'm probably one of the few who think the Vikings would be crazy not to re-sign an all-around weapon like Patterson. His kick returns alone often give the offense outstanding field position. He's the best in the NFL at it. I like him as a punt gunner and I still believe he's a big play waiting to happen whenever he touches the ball. They should run him out of the backfield at times again, especially if the OL improves.


Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:21 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3292
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
CJ and Wright are both likely cap casualties. Wright has never been more than a 3 and his best plays have been in the deep passing game. CJ is also a deep route / speed guy. Neither really fit well into what this team is currently doing in the passing game.

I suspect they'll try to keep CP84, he is a huge asset on ST. Thielen is an interesting case as an RFA. Treadwell is under contract and highly unlikely to be cut at this point.

I see depth chart as likely:
Diggs / Thielen
CP84
Treadwell
???
???

They might not keep more than 5 and I doubt they are going to want to invest cap space in Wright or CJ given the low liklihood that both see snaps on the field. CP84 contributes in a big way on ST and Treadwell still has his draft equity. Easily strongest position group on the offensive side of the ball.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:24 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
autobon7 wrote:
I would grade Wright at a 3 or 3.5 even though he received little to no playing time this year. Just basing it on what he has done previously.



I think the grades are meant purely for this season so previous performance probably wasn't much of a factor.


Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:28 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
mansquatch wrote:
CJ and Wright are both likely cap casualties. Wright has never been more than a 3 and his best plays have been in the deep passing game. CJ is also a deep route / speed guy. Neither really fit well into what this team is currently doing in the passing game.


Actually, I think Wright could fit in quite well. You may be forgetting some of his big plays. He's had some huge plays where most of the yardage was gained after the catch, the most memorable probably being a long TD in OT against the Jets.


Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:33 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Posts: 10040
Location: Burbank, California
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
Mothman wrote:
mansquatch wrote:
CJ and Wright are both likely cap casualties. Wright has never been more than a 3 and his best plays have been in the deep passing game. CJ is also a deep route / speed guy. Neither really fit well into what this team is currently doing in the passing game.


Actually, I think Wright could fit in quite well. You may be forgetting some of his big plays. He's had some huge plays where most of the yardage was gained after the catch, the most memorable probably being a long TD in OT against the Jets.


I remember that one. Wright reminded everyone he's a 4.39 - 4.4/40 burner. A big play during a critical moment.

I see Wright as an asset for the WCO Shurmur would like to do next season. Diggs, Thielen and CP fit in there nicely, too.


Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:24 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
losperros wrote:
Mothman wrote:
mansquatch wrote:
CJ and Wright are both likely cap casualties. Wright has never been more than a 3 and his best plays have been in the deep passing game. CJ is also a deep route / speed guy. Neither really fit well into what this team is currently doing in the passing game.


Actually, I think Wright could fit in quite well. You may be forgetting some of his big plays. He's had some huge plays where most of the yardage was gained after the catch, the most memorable probably being a long TD in OT against the Jets.


I remember that one. Wright reminded everyone he's a 4.39 - 4.4/40 burner. A big play during a critical moment.

I see Wright as an asset for the WCO Shurmur would like to do next season. Diggs, Thielen and CP fit in there nicely, too.



It's not Carter, Moss, Reed and co. but it's a solid WR corps with the potential to grow, especially if Treadwell starts making a contribution that justifies his first round draft status.


Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:31 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3292
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
I'm not forgetting his big plays. The problem is what has he done besides those big plays? We didn't see any in 2016 because he was starved for snaps with so much in front of him. Even when he was getting more snaps guys like CJ and Diggs stole the show. Wright has never been more than a #3/#4 WR. If CP84 and Theilen stay then he is likely gone. Doesn't make sense to give a guy a 2nd contract when he is your #4/#5 WR.

If CP84 or Theilen are gone, then the dynamic changes.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:04 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3226
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
mansquatch wrote:
I'm not forgetting his big plays. The problem is what has he done besides those big plays? We didn't see any in 2016 because he was starved for snaps with so much in front of him. Even when he was getting more snaps guys like CJ and Diggs stole the show. Wright has never been more than a #3/#4 WR. If CP84 and Theilen stay then he is likely gone. Doesn't make sense to give a guy a 2nd contract when he is your #4/#5 WR.

If CP84 or Theilen are gone, then the dynamic changes.


Trade him for a 6th rounder.


Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:05 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
mansquatch wrote:
I'm not forgetting his big plays. The problem is what has he done besides those big plays?


I think you missed my point. You wrote "his best plays have been in the deep passing game". My point was that's not true. Quite a few of his best plays have involved big runs after the catch.

Quote:
We didn't see any in 2016 because he was starved for snaps with so much in front of him. Even when he was getting more snaps guys like CJ and Diggs stole the show. Wright has never been more than a #3/#4 WR. If CP84 and Theilen stay then he is likely gone. Doesn't make sense to give a guy a 2nd contract when he is your #4/#5 WR.


He's already signed that contract. Wright's not a free agent. He's the Vikings highest-paid receiver. He signed a four-year, $14.8 million contract extension in September of 2015.


Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:14 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm
Posts: 993
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
I think trading Wright would be a mistake seeing as how Diggs seems to get nicked up and misses playing time. At least we would have an adequate fill in with Wright.....Johnson on the other hand can go.


Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:25 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Posts: 10040
Location: Burbank, California
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
autobon7 wrote:
I think trading Wright would be a mistake seeing as how Diggs seems to get nicked up and misses playing time. At least we would have an adequate fill in with Wright....


Good point about Diggs and Wright. :thumbsup:


Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:41 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3292
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
Not really on the fill in thing. Diggs got nicked up this year and CP84 / Thielen gobbled the snaps. That's my point on Wright: He isn't seeing the field. So why keep paying him?

This last season he had 11 total receptions on 14 targets. Of those 11, 5(!) were in the last game of the year vs. CHI. Here is some way out there conjecture: Those receptions/targets were not because other people couldn't play.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:25 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
Quote:
Not really on the fill in thing. Diggs got nicked up this year and CP84 / Thielen gobbled the snaps.


Exactly. Start them on any team in the league they'll produce. So will plenty of receivers. This team has zero #1 receivers.

Treadwell? Start him week in and week out and we'll see. Otherwise? Guy's have got their snaps. And to me they all looked like depth/#3 guys. :confused:


Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:37 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4591
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
Demi wrote:
Quote:
Not really on the fill in thing. Diggs got nicked up this year and CP84 / Thielen gobbled the snaps.


Exactly. Start them on any team in the league they'll produce. So will plenty of receivers. This team has zero #1 receivers.

Treadwell? Start him week in and week out and we'll see. Otherwise? Guy's have got their snaps. And to me they all looked like depth/#3 guys. :confused:


Diggs and Thielen are both more than "#3 guys". Patterson, yeah. Treadwell, the jury is still out on.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:13 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 3072
Location: Sebastian, FL
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
It would not surprise me to see Thielen, Johnson and Patterson resigned. Patterson seemed to be coming on this year in the WR area, something he should have been doing. I thing he has finally figured out that it takes work to be in the NFL. I did like the block he made in the Chicago game when Bradford was running the ball.

Thielen will stay.

Johnson? Well think of this. If they keep him on a lower priced contract, the one thing they don't have to worry about in the draft is WR. Same with Wright.

_________________
It's not how many times you get knocked down that matters, it's how many times you get back up and try again.


Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:48 am
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17771
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
Did they ever say why Wright didn't play much?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:58 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3292
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
They are setting Wright up as trade bait, the 5 receptions vs. Chicago was no fluke. Spielman loves to build up late round picks so he has ammo to move around. Wright is a perfect candidate to get a 6th or 7th round draft pick. Losing his contract will help the cap a bit also. (but not much.)

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:28 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3226
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
mansquatch wrote:
They are setting Wright up as trade bait, the 5 receptions vs. Chicago was no fluke. Spielman loves to build up late round picks so he has ammo to move around. Wright is a perfect candidate to get a 6th or 7th round draft pick. Losing his contract will help the cap a bit also. (but not much.)


That's pretty much my take. Wright's a fine player but he has little upside and once higher upside players were able to surpass his current abilities as an NFL player there was no room left on the field for him. One of Spielman's errors was re-signing him in the first place...although I think they were afraid that the cupboard would be completely empty if Patterson didn't develop. Little did they know Diggs and Thielen would be their two best WRs.


Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:59 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 3072
Location: Sebastian, FL
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
From NFL.com. Thought this should go here instead of a new thread. Diggs is 5th.

Top-10 WRs in tight coverage.

Quote:
The easiest way for a receiver to end up on the highlight reel is by winning a difficult pass in tight coverage and contested situations. While the catch is the part that garners our wonder, there are layers of skills that go into being in position, dealing the physicality from the cornerback and timing to win passes in tight coverage. It also takes the help of a quarterback able to put the ball in the area code of the targeted receiver.

Here we will use the NFL's Next Gen Stats tracking data to see which receivers caught the highest percentage of their targets when they had less than a yard of separation from the defender covering them. The 10 receivers on this list all showed an ability to work through tight coverage to win 50/50 balls and make the tough catches.

Notes: The minimum threshold for the Top-10 was 15 total targets with less than a yard of separation. The NFL average for catch rate on targets with less than a yard of separation is 40.5 percent.



http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... t-coverage

_________________
It's not how many times you get knocked down that matters, it's how many times you get back up and try again.


Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:06 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Posts: 10040
Location: Burbank, California
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Diggs and Thielen are both more than "#3 guys". Patterson, yeah. Treadwell, the jury is still out on.


I couldn't agree more. Diggs and Thielen both had over 900 yards receiving. They're not "#3 guys."

Patterson was the #3 guy and he added 453 more yards.


Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:13 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm
Posts: 993
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
mansquatch wrote:
Not really on the fill in thing. Diggs got nicked up this year and CP84 / Thielen gobbled the snaps. That's my point on Wright: He isn't seeing the field. So why keep paying him?

This last season he had 11 total receptions on 14 targets. Of those 11, 5(!) were in the last game of the year vs. CHI. Here is some way out there conjecture: Those receptions/targets were not because other people couldn't play.


It makes sense that he could be shopped but if it were me I'd send Johnson packing and go with Diggs, Thielen, Patterson, Wright and Treadwell. At least Wright has proven himself to be a worthy no. 3 when given the opportunity (42 catches for 588 yards in 2014). We just don't know what we have in Treadwell yet so I feel Wright is good insurance in case one of our top 3 go down.


Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:22 pm
Profile
Transition Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:07 am
Posts: 324
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
Is it just me, or does Patterson remind other people of Devon Hester?


Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:47 pm
Profile
Online
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Posts: 5615
Location: The Great White North
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
autobon7 wrote:
mansquatch wrote:
Not really on the fill in thing. Diggs got nicked up this year and CP84 / Thielen gobbled the snaps. That's my point on Wright: He isn't seeing the field. So why keep paying him?

This last season he had 11 total receptions on 14 targets. Of those 11, 5(!) were in the last game of the year vs. CHI. Here is some way out there conjecture: Those receptions/targets were not because other people couldn't play.


It makes sense that he could be shopped but if it were me I'd send Johnson packing and go with Diggs, Thielen, Patterson, Wright and Treadwell. At least Wright has proven himself to be a worthy no. 3 when given the opportunity (42 catches for 588 yards in 2014). We just don't know what we have in Treadwell yet so I feel Wright is good insurance in case one of our top 3 go down.


Who is going to *trade* for a highly-paid WR who saw almost no playing time on a team that had overall crappy WR play all year?

To his credit, Wright did enough prior to this last season to earn a big contract extension, which, as others note, means the guy has raw talent and can contribute. But it appears once he got that money he tanked. Nobody is going to offer anything for a player like that, at least not in trade. I could see Spielman cut him and he might get some interest as a free agent, but it sure looks to me like Spielman flushed good money down the toilet with that deal.

And as for his playing time or lack thereof, does it really matter why he didn't see the field? I suppose it's possible it was a coaching conspiracy or incompetence that kept him off the field, but Patterson found a lot of playing time this year and he was supposedly the one the coaches had it in for prior to this season. Of course, he's another guy who is looking for an extension this offseason, so one has to wonder whether he's really hitting the prime of his career or just another guy who wants a big payday and then can fade back into the background. I'd be really cautious on that front if I'm Spielman. He really can't afford to flush any more money down the toilet this offseason.

I'm still extremely unimpressed by the receiver talent the Vikings have. I agree with Demi that there isn't a primary guy on the roster yet. They spent their first rounder on a guy who caught a single ball and showed almost nothing on his other snaps. I like Diggs but wonder if he can stay healthy. Thielen I think is legit, which is fantastic considering what they're paying him, but he's not going to be a game-breaker. The best receivers on the team are a TE and an undrafted free agent heading into an offseason where they won't have a 1st round pick, have huge holes all along the offensive line, and major questions to address at RB.

I don't know the $$$ implications of cutting Wright, but if he's till on the roster come next season he sure as heck better be a regular fixture in the starting lineup. Ditto for Patterson if he gets extended.


Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:13 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4591
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
VikingLord wrote:
Who is going to *trade* for a highly-paid WR who saw almost no playing time on a team that had overall crappy WR play all year?

To his credit, Wright did enough prior to this last season to earn a big contract extension, which, as others note, means the guy has raw talent and can contribute. But it appears once he got that money he tanked. Nobody is going to offer anything for a player like that, at least not in trade. I could see Spielman cut him and he might get some interest as a free agent, but it sure looks to me like Spielman flushed good money down the toilet with that deal.

And as for his playing time or lack thereof, does it really matter why he didn't see the field? I suppose it's possible it was a coaching conspiracy or incompetence that kept him off the field, but Patterson found a lot of playing time this year and he was supposedly the one the coaches had it in for prior to this season. Of course, he's another guy who is looking for an extension this offseason, so one has to wonder whether he's really hitting the prime of his career or just another guy who wants a big payday and then can fade back into the background. I'd be really cautious on that front if I'm Spielman. He really can't afford to flush any more money down the toilet this offseason.

I'm still extremely unimpressed by the receiver talent the Vikings have. I agree with Demi that there isn't a primary guy on the roster yet. They spent their first rounder on a guy who caught a single ball and showed almost nothing on his other snaps. I like Diggs but wonder if he can stay healthy. Thielen I think is legit, which is fantastic considering what they're paying him, but he's not going to be a game-breaker. The best receivers on the team are a TE and an undrafted free agent heading into an offseason where they won't have a 1st round pick, have huge holes all along the offensive line, and major questions to address at RB.

I don't know the $$$ implications of cutting Wright, but if he's till on the roster come next season he sure as heck better be a regular fixture in the starting lineup. Ditto for Patterson if he gets extended.


I'm really starting to question where everyone is coming up with "crappy WR play"?? We had two WRs near 1000 yards. Diggs would have hit it if he didnt get hurt. Plus we had a TE near 1000. Just because we don't have a Deandre Hopkins on this team doesnt mean we have bad WRs or need to find a guy like that. Diggs, Thielen, Patterson and Treadwell waiting is a good receiving core. Everyone is worried about being like everybody else and having some elite WR. We have 2 WRs on our roster that are probably better than any WR on the Patriots. They don't have a true #1. Granted they have Brady but point being, you don't need some stud #1 to have a good WR group. We don't even know what we have in Treadwell.

And Adam Thielen is not better than Stefon Diggs. Thielen had 60 more yards than Diggs and also played 3 more games than Diggs did. Plus Diggs was banged up in a lot of the games he played. Yes his health is a concern. But overall, none of these guys are the reason our offense wasnt performing. This is the best WR group we have had in a long time AND you have a first round pick you have waiting in the wings. Just because we don't have Julio Jones on our team like you and Demi think we need doesnt mean we don't have a good WR core. How many teams this year had TWO WRs over 1000 or nearly over 1000. Probably less than half the league. And one of the guys only played 13 games. So what does that tell you?

_________________
Image


Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:57 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm
Posts: 993
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
VikingLord wrote:
Who is going to *trade* for a highly-paid WR who saw almost no playing time on a team that had overall crappy WR play all year?

To his credit, Wright did enough prior to this last season to earn a big contract extension, which, as others note, means the guy has raw talent and can contribute. But it appears once he got that money he tanked. Nobody is going to offer anything for a player like that, at least not in trade. I could see Spielman cut him and he might get some interest as a free agent, but it sure looks to me like Spielman flushed good money down the toilet with that deal.

And as for his playing time or lack thereof, does it really matter why he didn't see the field? I suppose it's possible it was a coaching conspiracy or incompetence that kept him off the field, but Patterson found a lot of playing time this year and he was supposedly the one the coaches had it in for prior to this season. Of course, he's another guy who is looking for an extension this offseason, so one has to wonder whether he's really hitting the prime of his career or just another guy who wants a big payday and then can fade back into the background. I'd be really cautious on that front if I'm Spielman. He really can't afford to flush any more money down the toilet this offseason.

I'm still extremely unimpressed by the receiver talent the Vikings have. I agree with Demi that there isn't a primary guy on the roster yet. They spent their first rounder on a guy who caught a single ball and showed almost nothing on his other snaps. I like Diggs but wonder if he can stay healthy. Thielen I think is legit, which is fantastic considering what they're paying him, but he's not going to be a game-breaker. The best receivers on the team are a TE and an undrafted free agent heading into an offseason where they won't have a 1st round pick, have huge holes all along the offensive line, and major questions to address at RB.

I don't know the $$$ implications of cutting Wright, but if he's till on the roster come next season he sure as heck better be a regular fixture in the starting lineup. Ditto for Patterson if he gets extended.


I'm really starting to question where everyone is coming up with "crappy WR play"?? We had two WRs near 1000 yards. Diggs would have hit it if he didnt get hurt. Plus we had a TE near 1000. Just because we don't have a Deandre Hopkins on this team doesnt mean we have bad WRs or need to find a guy like that. Diggs, Thielen, Patterson and Treadwell waiting is a good receiving core. Everyone is worried about being like everybody else and having some elite WR. We have 2 WRs on our roster that are probably better than any WR on the Patriots. They don't have a true #1. Granted they have Brady but point being, you don't need some stud #1 to have a good WR group. We don't even know what we have in Treadwell.

And Adam Thielen is not better than Stefon Diggs. Thielen had 60 more yards than Diggs and also played 3 more games than Diggs did. Plus Diggs was banged up in a lot of the games he played. Yes his health is a concern. But overall, none of these guys are the reason our offense wasnt performing. This is the best WR group we have had in a long time AND you have a first round pick you have waiting in the wings. Just because we don't have Julio Jones on our team like you and Demi think we need doesnt mean we don't have a good WR core. How many teams this year had TWO WRs over 1000 or nearly over 1000. Probably less than half the league. And one of the guys only played 13 games. So what does that tell you?



I most definitely agree with you PHP......I just don't see what they are talking about. It honestly wouldn't have taken much and we very realistically could have had 2 WRs and 1 TE with over 1000 EACH. Plus another 500 from CP. For all those calling for a J Jones type just look at their (Falcons) stats.....Jones had 1409 and their number 2 had 653. Hmmmm


Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:26 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Posts: 10040
Location: Burbank, California
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I'm really starting to question where everyone is coming up with "crappy WR play"?? We had two WRs near 1000 yards. Diggs would have hit it if he didnt get hurt. Plus we had a TE near 1000. Just because we don't have a Deandre Hopkins on this team doesnt mean we have bad WRs or need to find a guy like that. Diggs, Thielen, Patterson and Treadwell waiting is a good receiving core. Everyone is worried about being like everybody else and having some elite WR. We have 2 WRs on our roster that are probably better than any WR on the Patriots. They don't have a true #1. Granted they have Brady but point being, you don't need some stud #1 to have a good WR group. We don't even know what we have in Treadwell.

And Adam Thielen is not better than Stefon Diggs. Thielen had 60 more yards than Diggs and also played 3 more games than Diggs did. Plus Diggs was banged up in a lot of the games he played. Yes his health is a concern. But overall, none of these guys are the reason our offense wasnt performing. This is the best WR group we have had in a long time AND you have a first round pick you have waiting in the wings. Just because we don't have Julio Jones on our team like you and Demi think we need doesnt mean we don't have a good WR core. How many teams this year had TWO WRs over 1000 or nearly over 1000. Probably less than half the league. And one of the guys only played 13 games. So what does that tell you?


I'm questioning the "crappy WR play," too. It doesn't show itself in the stats or on film. There is no current need in the WR corps.

OTOH, the Vikings have gaping OL needs, which clearly outweigh any other offensive concerns by miles. Every defensive coordinator in the NFL knows the Vikings offensive line can't win the battle in the trenches. So it's not rocket science.

If the Vikings go WR shopping in the FA or draft over acquiring OL help, then I hope Ziggy fires the entire coaching and front office staff (including our GM).


Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:15 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
losperros wrote:
I'm questioning the "crappy WR play," too. It doesn't show itself in the stats or on film. There is no current need in the WR corps.

OTOH, the Vikings have gaping OL needs, which clearly outweigh any other offensive concerns by miles. Every defensive coordinator in the NFL knows the Vikings offensive line can't win the battle in the trenches. So it's not rocket science.

If the Vikings go WR shopping in the FA or draft over acquiring OL help, then I hope Ziggy fires the entire coaching and front office staff (including our GM).


They definitely can't afford to prioritize WR (or any other position) over improving the offensive line this offseason. They have to get better up front, not just in pass protection but to get their running game back to respectability.

That said, with Thielen a restricted free agent and Patterson and Johnson both free agents, they'll have some decisions to make at WR. If they elect not to re-sign (or can't re-sign) any of those players, they'll have to bring in somebody to replace them. Frankly, I think they need to move on from Johnson.

I don't think the WR play has been bad but it hasn't been outstanding either. They could certainly use a bigger difference-maker at the position. What they might need most of all is a red zone threat because outside of Rudolph, nobody else in the passing game has really established themselves in that department. If Treadwell's going to step up in 2017, it would be nice to see him do it in that area.


Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:46 pm
Profile
Online
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Posts: 5615
Location: The Great White North
Post Re: Vikings Grades: Wide receiver
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I'm really starting to question where everyone is coming up with "crappy WR play"?? We had two WRs near 1000 yards. Diggs would have hit it if he didnt get hurt. Plus we had a TE near 1000. Just because we don't have a Deandre Hopkins on this team doesnt mean we have bad WRs or need to find a guy like that. Diggs, Thielen, Patterson and Treadwell waiting is a good receiving core. Everyone is worried about being like everybody else and having some elite WR. We have 2 WRs on our roster that are probably better than any WR on the Patriots. They don't have a true #1. Granted they have Brady but point being, you don't need some stud #1 to have a good WR group. We don't even know what we have in Treadwell.


"Crappy" was the wrong word... How about "average"? I think I acknowledged the 3 receivers you mentioned - Diggs, Thielen and Rudolph. All of them are solid receivers. I'm not sure I'd put too much stock in Treadwell making an impact. He certainly could get it figured out next year, but he could just as easily be a huge bust in waiting as he is a breakout player in waiting.

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
And Adam Thielen is not better than Stefon Diggs. Thielen had 60 more yards than Diggs and also played 3 more games than Diggs did. Plus Diggs was banged up in a lot of the games he played. Yes his health is a concern. But overall, none of these guys are the reason our offense wasnt performing. This is the best WR group we have had in a long time AND you have a first round pick you have waiting in the wings. Just because we don't have Julio Jones on our team like you and Demi think we need doesnt mean we don't have a good WR core. How many teams this year had TWO WRs over 1000 or nearly over 1000. Probably less than half the league. And one of the guys only played 13 games. So what does that tell you?


I wish games were won on yardage gained by receivers?

In all seriousness, relative to some of the other question marks on offense, receiver is not as large a concern as the OL or RB. It's less of a concern if Treadwell emerges and becomes the player I think they envisioned when he was drafted. It's less of a concern if they extend Patterson and he continues his upward arc. It's less of a concern if Wright resolves whatever kept him off the field this year and resumes his pre-extension level of play. But since none of those things are certain, it's still a concern.


Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:15 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alaskan, VikingLord and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.