View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Vikings grades: Offensive Line 
All Pro Elite Player

Post Re: Vikings grades: Offensive Line
I guess depending on who we go after will tell us how big our window is.
After 2 bad years my guess is, Fusco is gone. They are paying him to much, and I think we are better off just letting him go rather than trying to renegotiate with him.
So we need a LT, Guard and RT.
Would they move Berger to Guard while we groom someone we drafted?
Then that would leave use needing 2 tackles...
To have an affordable line we really need to start building in the draft. We need to use better picks the next couple years and hope we pick good players.

And I might agree with Jim on our 2nd round pick going towards Defense if we know Zimmer.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:17 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

halfgiz wrote:
I guess depending on who we go after will tell us how big our window is.
After 2 bad years my guess is, Fusco is gone. They are paying him to much, and I think we are better off just letting him go rather than trying to renegotiate with him.
So we need a LT, Guard and RT.
Would they move Berger to Guard while we groom someone we drafted?
Then that would leave use needing 2 tackles...
To have an affordable line we really need to start building in the draft. We need to use better picks the next couple years and hope we pick good players.

And I might agree with Jim on our 2nd round pick going towards Defense if we know Zimmer.

I dont think they are going D in the 2nd at all. That's just simply going off of someone's past. I'm sure many would say he would go D last year in the first and never did. He isn't going to go defense just because he's a D guy. If there is a defensive player sitting there that is too good to pass up, then yeah. But if not, he's going offense IMO. He's expressed to the media that this is a really good defensive team and he has also mentioned the lack of production on offense. To me, that screams go OL or RB...your two biggest weaknesses this year. Not too hard to figure out.

As for our OL, I would have to imagine we would throw good money to one of the better G/T's on the market. I'm all for getting Wagner. Not sure if he walks or not. I think we should hold onto Kalil longer for depth/stop-gap reasons. This isn't an overly strong OL class but still a lot of solid players. We will get a better tell on what would happen via the draft when free agency is finally over.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:16 am
All Pro Elite Player

kinda sad that we are going to look for a RB....we just wasted a decade while having the best RB in the league. Imagine ADs career if he had a real OL and an average or better QB!

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:38 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

chicagopurple wrote:
kinda sad that we are going to look for a RB....we just wasted a decade while having the best RB in the league. Imagine ADs career if he had a real OL and an average or better QB!

Part of the problem was, AP couldn't adapt. Pretty sad that the best RB in the NFL couldnt figure out how to run out of shotgun. No less went to the media and complained about it.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:55 pm
Defensive Tackle

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
chicagopurple wrote:

Part of the problem was, AP couldn't adapt. Pretty sad that the best RB in the NFL couldnt figure out how to run out of shotgun. No less went to the media and complained about it.

:wallbang:

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:32 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Mothman wrote:
chicagopurple wrote:

:wallbang:

.....and that means?

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:58 am
Defensive Tackle

.....and that means?

An expression of deep aggravation.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:47 am
All Pro Elite Player

Our offense was/is screwed up big time.
No line for Norv wanting to throw deep, a QB who didn't have Dre Bree's arm.
A running back that had trouble working from the shotgun and last...having zone scheme blockers and Tony is a Power scheme guy. Tony was more suited to Norv's style but our personal isn't.
Cluster :puke:

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:22 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Not sure where to put this:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/10/nfl- ... s-notebook

Quote:
The class does have a glaring weakness. That weakness is along the offensive line. The tackle crop isn’t as strong as usual, the guard group is shallow, and good luck finding centers. Worse, the fear in the NFL is that it’s not only a bad year, but also a sign of things to come. “It’s a trend coming,” said our AFC exec, “because of the spread offense and all the rules on practicing.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:38 am
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:
Not sure where to put this:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/10/nfl- ... s-notebook

Quote:
The class does have a glaring weakness. That weakness is along the offensive line. The tackle crop isn’t as strong as usual, the guard group is shallow, and good luck finding centers. Worse, the fear in the NFL is that it’s not only a bad year, but also a sign of things to come. “It’s a trend coming,” said our AFC exec, “because of the spread offense and all the rules on practicing.

It doesn't seem like a strong class. I cannot state that with certainty - I have not seen every eligible offensive line prospect take a collegiate snap.

I am sure this class will turn out a lot of back-up and below-average players. However, some will be Pro Bowlers, solid starters, and even a couple will probably be All-Pros. NFL coaching can go a long way. Also there are a lot intrinsic player factors that make NFL players so great.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:54 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Well we got our tackles Reiff & Remmers.

For comparison, from @PFF. In 2016: Reiff 67.5 Remmers 66.1 Clemmings 28.3 Kalil 36.9 Andre Smith 39.1 Jake Long 63.9 #Vikings

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:50 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

halfgiz wrote:
Well we got our tackles Reiff & Remmers.

For comparison, from @PFF. In 2016: Reiff 67.5 Remmers 66.1 Clemmings 28.3 Kalil 36.9 Andre Smith 39.1 Jake Long 63.9 #Vikings

Wow 28.3 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:05 am
Transition Player

Also add that Reiff and Remmers played out of position for 2016.
Reiff is a LT and graded out even higher as such. Remmers is a RT and graded even higher during the previous year too.

I am very pleased and now looking forward to the draft.
If we add more OL, then great. I am hoping for 2 solid OL in the draft. A OG like Feeney and a C like Elflein or Pocic
Right now as we stand:
LT - Reiff
LG - Boone
C - Berger/Easton
RG - Sirles / Beavers / ???
RT - Remmers

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:37 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

IIsweet wrote:
Reiff is a LT and graded out even higher as such. Remmers is a RT and graded even higher during the previous year too.

If we add more OL, then great. I am hoping for 2 solid OL in the draft. A OG like Feeney and a C like Elflein or Pocic
Right now as we stand:
LT - Reiff
LG - Boone
C - Berger/Easton
RT - Remmers

I would love those picks of Feeney and Pocic/Elflein. We also need to draft a OT too at some point

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:55 am
Transition Player

True, but I wonder if Rashod Hill and Sirles are enough as backup OT ?
Still have Beavers as he was a rookie last year.
I am very pleased with the fact that we have our 2 OT signed for the next 5 years !

However, having watched Spielman draft for years now... I will be extremely surprised to see him select the best available OL. He will be looking at the best athlete as always.
I hope that a draft scenario with Feeney and Pocic is available and he addresses the OL.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:47 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

IIsweet wrote:
True, but I wonder if Rashod Hill and Sirles are enough as backup OT ?
Still have Beavers as he was a rookie last year.
I am very pleased with the fact that we have our 2 OT signed for the next 5 years !

However, having watched Spielman draft for years now... I will be extremely surprised to see him select the best available OL. He will be looking at the best athlete as always.
I hope that a draft scenario with Feeney and Pocic is available and he addresses the OL.

I think he will. You're going to see a RB in there too. I'm also wondering about the defense. Haven't seen any moves in that department yet

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:57 pm
All Pro Elite Player

IIsweet wrote:

Right now as we stand:
LT - Reiff
LG - Boone
C - Berger/Easton
RT - Remmers

LT - Reiff / Hill/ Shepherd
LG - Boone/ Kerin
C - Berger/Easton
RG - Sirles / Beavers / Berger
RT - Remmers/ Fragel/ Clemmings

Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:38 pm
All Pro Elite Player

halfgiz wrote:
IIsweet wrote:

Right now as we stand:
LT - Reiff
LG - Boone
C - Berger/Easton
RT - Remmers

LT - Reiff / Hill/ Shepherd
LG - Boone/ Kerin
C - Berger/Easton
RG - Sirles / Beavers / Berger
RT - Remmers/ Fragel/ Clemmings

Looks like a workable line to me. Perfect? No. Great? No. Good? Probably not. Average? Probably. But on paper it is probably the best that the Vikings have had in a while. Reiff and Remmers, will be huge upgrades, further, they're both reasonably decent. Boone and Berger were the only bright spots on the line last season. That just leaves RG which I would like to see them upgrade, but if they don't, I don't have a negative opinion of Sirles, I just don't think highly of him.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Fenrir

Looks way better on paper but we'll see. I just hope Spielman doesn't make the same mistake and picks up at least a OT and G/Swing player in our first 5 picks.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:09 pm
All Pro Elite Player

S197 wrote:
Looks way better on paper but we'll see. I just hope Spielman doesn't make the same mistake and picks up at least a OT and G/Swing player in our first 5 picks.

He really needs to get a couple of decent OL picks in a he draft. He can't afford to miss.

At least we got a couple of tackles in FA.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:36 pm
Transition Player

So here is what the NFL Draft Profile was on Willie Beavers.....
Maybe he is ready to push at RG ? He should be a lot stronger !

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 3
NFL COMPARISON Derek Newton
BOTTOM LINE Beavers is very athletic with the feet to play left tackle, but has the talent and traits to play all over the offensive line with more technique work. While he clearly has some power and twitch in his hips, he could use a year in an NFL weight room to strengthen his core and upper body. Beavers is an eventual NFL starter who is likely to be targeted by teams who covet tackles who can excel in space.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:28 am
Transition Player

still would love to see Feeney taken in the draft.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:31 am
Transition Player

Another thought...
Does anyone know the story behind Mike Harris ???

He could always come back on a cheap deal with prove it clauses !
He was pretty solid

Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:46 am
All Pro Elite Player

IIsweet wrote:
Another thought...

He was pretty solid

Mike Harris is done. The Vikings done him a big favor keeping him on the roster last year.
That made him eligible for lifetime insurance with the NFL. He has health issues that they have kept disclosed.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:12 am
Transition Player

halfgiz wrote:
IIsweet wrote:
Another thought...

He was pretty solid

Mike Harris is done. The Vikings done him a big favor keeping him on the roster last year.
That made him eligible for lifetime insurance with the NFL. He has health issues that they have kept disclosed.

Oh wow, that's too bad for him.
Well, it was an idea. How about the thought of adding TJ Lang ?

Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:20 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

S197 wrote:

I'm hoping that Hill could be a sleeper......

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:54 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Remmers isn't much as a pass protector, and Reiff's strong suit is in run blocking as well. This fits with what we saw from Shurmur/Bradford last year. I think we'll see a lot of shotgun/draw action (Remmers undoubtedly ran a lot of this in Carolina) and a quick hitting passing game. They still need to be a lot more stout in the middle of the line. If those guys aren't in house, they still need to address it. Hopefully Boone will elevate his game. I think the attitude on the left side of the line with Reiff and Boone could be a plus, but attitude alone isn't gonna get it done.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:03 pm
All Pro Elite Player

fiestavike wrote:
Remmers isn't much as a pass protector, and Reiff's strong suit is in run blocking as well. This fits with what we saw from Shurmur/Bradford last year. I think we'll see a lot of shotgun/draw action (Remmers undoubtedly ran a lot of this in Carolina) and a quick hitting passing game. They still need to be a lot more stout in the middle of the line. If those guys aren't in house, they still need to address it. Hopefully Boone will elevate his game. I think the attitude on the left side of the line with Reiff and Boone could be a plus, but attitude alone isn't gonna get it done.

I kind of give Boone a pass last season on his play. For most of the season he had different players at tackle or guard every other week.
I'm hoping for more stability and better play on the line this season.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:31 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

halfgiz wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

I kind of give Boone a pass last season on his play. For most of the season he had different players at tackle or guard every other week.

And he still didn't have that bad of a year. Somewhere in the 76 range according to PFF I believe

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:31 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

halfgiz wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

And he still didn't have that bad of a year. Somewhere in the 76 range according to PFF I believe

PFF is fine and all, but particularly when it comes to line play I would take their ratings with a grain of salt. Boone is a versatile player and would be a great 6th lineman, but he's not and never will be top tier.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next