View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Vikings and Scott Turner Part Ways 
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post Vikings and Scott Turner Part Ways
Quote:
Albert Breer ‏@albertbreer

Per source, the Vikings and QBs coach Scott Turner have parted ways. Was a tough situation they managed after Norv's departure.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
All Pro Elite Player

Post Re: Vikings and Scott Turner Part Ways
Thanks for the update! Wonder who is next.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:33 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Interesting.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

Not surprising in the least. This always felt like nepotism to me. Hate to be so blunt, but what else can you say for a guy who had no resume prior to becoming the infamous "offensive quality control coordinator" for the Panthers, was hired by his dad in Cleveland, and followed his dad to Minnesota?

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:03 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

I'll be watching closely to see where he ends up.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:26 am
Defensive Tackle

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Not surprising in the least. This always felt like nepotism to me. Hate to be so blunt, but what else can you say for a guy who had no resume prior to becoming the infamous "offensive quality control coordinator" for the Panthers, was hired by his dad in Cleveland, and followed his dad to Minnesota?

between Scott Turner as Qb coach and Adam Zimmer as LB coach, it's been the nepotism coaching staff from the start. If the core staff is still together in a few years, maybe the Vikes will draft Pat Shurmur's son, Kyle, who plays QB at Vanderbilt. :tongue:

Does George Edwards have a son interested in coaching?

Seriously, I suspect most of us saw this decision coming after Norv left.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:36 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

between Scott Turner as Qb coach and Adam Zimmer as LB coach, it's been the nepotism coaching staff from the start. If the core staff is still together in a few years, maybe the Vikes will draft Pat Shurmur's son, Kyle, who plays QB at Vanderbilt. :tongue:

Norv's decision to leave mid season, even with his son currently on staff, is extremely interesting. That's the one story line from this season I would most like to know more about.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:28 am
Defensive Tackle

fiestavike wrote:
Norv's decision to leave mid season, even with his son currently on staff, is extremely interesting. That's the one story line from this season I would most like to know more about.

I would like to know a lot more about it. Norv Turner's decision to leave when he did was unusual and surprising. I suspect there's a lot about that story we don't know.

Regarding Scott Turner: it hasn't been specified in this thread yet but the reports are saying he was fired.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:57 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

The real question, IMO, is what this means for TB? TB was the "Turner's Guy". They wanted him which is why the Vikings drafted him over Carr. Not sure if there will be an issue here or not. I'd think that TB would probably do better in a system like Shurmer's given his skill set anyways. But who knows?

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:07 am
Rookie

I still cannot work out why TB was ''Turners Guy'', as he never seemed to suit that system one bit compared to Carr.

Any way I digress, but not one bit surprised about Scott Turner getting the boot. Never been a fan of the jobs for the boys approach.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:47 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

LondonViking wrote:
I still cannot work out why TB was ''Turners Guy'', as he never seemed to suit that system one bit compared to Carr.

I agree on this on all points but TB is who they targeted.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:57 am
Rookie

I would take it as a positive for him as he wont be so much a round peg in a square hole now/when/if he comes back.

I like TB and was a fan pre-draft just didn't see how he matched into Norvs system.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:00 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

In fairness to the Zimmers, the LBs are probably the best group on the team. They all seemed to play well this season, even with Barr's peculiar drop-off.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Defensive Tackle

PurpleMustReign wrote:
In fairness to the Zimmers, the LBs are probably the best group on the team. They all seemed to play well this season, even with Barr's peculiar drop-off.

So they all played well this season except for one of the two primary starters at the position? ;)

I'm just giving you a hard time.

Whether Adam Zimmer is good at the job or not, hiring both he and Scott Turner was a pretty clear case of nepotism.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:02 pm
Defensive Tackle

mansquatch wrote:
The real question, IMO, is what this means for TB? TB was the "Turner's Guy". They wanted him which is why the Vikings drafted him over Carr. Not sure if there will be an issue here or not. I'd think that TB would probably do better in a system like Shurmer's given his skill set anyways. But who knows?

Until TB recovers and shows what he still can do (or no longer can do) I suspect he's not much of a consideration in the Vikings plans. They have to move forward without him, as if he can't play, until they find out if he can. IF he recovers and can play again, I imagine they'll take it from there but if Bradford stays healthy and plays well in 2017, I wouldn't expect to see Bridgewater in a Vikes uniform in 2018. It would be cost-prohibitive, unless they could convince him to tale backup QB money.

He has to recover. Until he does, I don't think he can be considered as a potential starter or a solid backup.

By the way, Ben Goessling has written a new article about TB's cloudy future:

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-viki ... ins-cloudy

Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:09 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Oh I agree that the TB stuff is still more on the horizon than anything. I was just pointing out that the guys who worked the hardest to bring him here, at least initially are now gone.

I do think that Shurmer's general scheme is a better fit for TB, at least what we saw of him pre-injury.

The good news is we have SB and unless he gets hurt we can afford to wait out TB for another 12 months. Really not much else to talk about as far as he is concerned until he starts running around again.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:21 pm
Defensive Tackle

mansquatch wrote:
Oh I agree that the TB stuff is still more on the horizon than anything. I was just pointing out that the guys who worked the hardest to bring him here, at least initially are now gone.

I understand. However, Spielman and Zimmer remain and we know they love him so the departure of the Turners may not mean much. I think the bigger problem for TB (aside from the obvious) is that Bradford's a better QB.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:34 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Mothman wrote:
I think the bigger problem for TB (aside from the obvious) is that Bradford's a better QB.
And here I thought that was obvious too... :rofl:

Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:15 pm
Profile YIM
Defensive Tackle

Thaumaturgist wrote:
Mothman wrote:
I think the bigger problem for TB (aside from the obvious) is that Bradford's a better QB.
And here I thought that was obvious too... :rofl:

Bada-boom!

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:03 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Eh, when did I say SB wasn't better than TB?

I've been on the pro SB bandwagon for awhile now. I just don't think they'll cut TB right away.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:10 pm
Defensive Tackle

mansquatch wrote:
Eh, when did I say SB wasn't better than TB?

You didn't... I wasn't trying to imply otherwise so I hope my post didn't come across that way.

Quote:
I've been on the pro SB bandwagon for awhile now. I just don't think they'll cut TB right away.

I don't either. Assuming the health of both players, that decision would likely be made in the 2018 offseason, if it happens at all.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:31 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Barring injury to Bradford, it seems unlikily Teddy ever takes another snap for the Vikings. I expect he'll wind up on the PUP and then IR next year anyway. Hopefully the nerve isn't injured/will recover, but if he's played his last snap, Teddy is the type of guy who is still going to be just fine.

If he does ever come back, I could see a reunion with Turner as a realistic possibility.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]