Treadwell hopes to make rookie season a distant memory

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Treadwell hopes to make rookie season a distant memory

Post by Mothman »

Treadwell hopes to make one-catch rookie season a distant memory
There's almost no way to characterize Treadwell's rookie year -- after the Vikings took him 23rd overall -- as anything other than a disappointment. Coach Mike Zimmer said on Tuesday that Treadwell's feet were bothering him earlier in the season (a claim Treadwell shrugged off when Zimmer first brought it up in November), and the 21-year-old missed the Vikings' last three games with an ankle injury he suffered on special teams. In between, the rookie often stewed on the sideline even when he was healthy, and appeared not to be on the same page as Bradford on his last target of the year, at a pivotal moment in the Vikings' Dec. 1 loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

At this point, though, remorseful retrospectives on Treadwell's rookie year accomplish only so much. The Vikings have to figure out how to involve the Mississippi product in their offense in 2017, when they're still likely to need a boost from a physical receiver in the red zone, and Treadwell has to make a meaningful contribution after his one-catch first year.
Holzberg
Practice Squad

Re: Treadwell hopes to make rookie season a distant memory

Post by Holzberg »

I think we need a new WR coach.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

This team's offense does strange things with its receivers, so who knows what they'll do about Treadwell.

I think the Vikings already have receivers, both WRs and TE Rudolph, who can catch in the red zone.

Not to knock Treadwell, but I wish the Vikings would have drafted OL help. Oh well, hindsight is always perfect.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

losperros wrote:This team's offense does strange things with its receivers, so who knows what they'll do about Treadwell.

I think the Vikings already have receivers, both WRs and TE Rudolph, who can catch in the red zone.

Not to knock Treadwell, but I wish the Vikings would have drafted OL help. Oh well, hindsight is always perfect.

Couldn't agree more.....sure wish they had gone OL as well.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I wanted Myles Jack throughout the entire draft as he was falling. He would have been a much better pick...
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

losperros wrote:This team's offense does strange things with its receivers, so who knows what they'll do about Treadwell.

I agree. Even if Treadwell didnt look like a bust (IMHO) we could have gotten a quality Olineman. At this point ANYONE on the Oline, picked in the first, should knock our socks off. But then Kalil was a bust oo. Time to look for some scouts and a GM that knows what hes doing.

Rookies like Treadwell are so hard to take cause theres nothing even written about him. Even in practice. Like 'Treadwell showed some promise today!' Or some thing like that. I know CP84 finally is coming around and I couldnt be happier for him. But Treadwell is slowwwww.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I wanted Myles Jack throughout the entire draft as he was falling. He would have been a much better pick...
As I've said before regarding this, where do you put Myles Jack??? Our WLB plays about 20 snaps a game (Greenway). So we are going to take Jack and play him 20 snaps a game?? And don't say "Well he could have played for Barr since he had a down year" because prior to this season, Barr was one of the better OLBs in the league so there was really no need to draft Jack. Kendricks is a man amongst boys out there. There was no room for Jack
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote: I agree. Even if Treadwell didnt look like a bust (IMHO) we could have gotten a quality Olineman. At this point ANYONE on the Oline, picked in the first, should knock our socks off. But then Kalil was a bust oo. Time to look for some scouts and a GM that knows what hes doing.

Rookies like Treadwell are so hard to take cause theres nothing even written about him. Even in practice. Like 'Treadwell showed some promise today!' Or some thing like that. I know CP84 finally is coming around and I couldnt be happier for him. But Treadwell is slowwwww.
Like I also said before, there was a NEED for Treadwell coming into this year. CP was nothing more than a KR, Thielen was average AT BEST, and Johnson was Johnson. We had nothing outside of Diggs.

As for Kalil, it had nothing to do with scouts or the GM. Matt Kalil was the best OT in college football that year and as someone has pointed out before, Kalil was so good that he bumped Tyron Smith out of LT at USC and he went to RT. Plus the guy has a pro bowl rookie season. So to try and point the finger at scouts or the GM regarding Kalil doesnt seem very fair to me when you look at how everything was back then. And the fact that we were desperate for a LT. Matt Kalil was his own problem
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

I'm kind of torn with a lot of this because I went back and looked at the Treadwell thread when he was drafted and most everyone that posted in that thread seemed to love the pick. There wasnt a ton of talk regarding OL. However, now, when everyone knows how bad the OL was, we all say we should have went there. Pretty easy to say that now but many werent saying it back then :whistle:
-Chazz Palminteri
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

Well, it isn't like he can do any worse than this year. Cut him, trade him for peanuts, or hide him on the roster for the next three seasons, either way, he has the same value to us. Shocking another basket case slipped through our scouting department.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

joe h wrote:Well, it isn't like he can do any worse than this year. Cut him, trade him for peanuts, or hide him on the roster for the next three seasons, either way, he has the same value to us. Shocking another basket case slipped through our scouting department.
"Basket case"?? :confused:
-Chazz Palminteri
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: "Basket case"?? :confused:
Showing up to that press conference wearing a raiders cap raised a few alarms, and that awful bowl game performance last year. The guy is also not wowing anyone during practice, apparently. All signs of immaturity. But who knows, I hope it doesn't come down to a contract year before the kids wants to play, like Patterson.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

joe h wrote: Showing up to that press conference wearing a raiders cap raised a few alarms, and that awful bowl game performance last year. The guy is also not wowing anyone during practice, apparently. All signs of immaturity. But who knows, I hope it doesn't come down to a contract year before the kids wants to play, like Patterson.
Dude I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Treadwell had 6 catches for 71 yards and 3 touchdowns against OK St. in the Bowl game last year. Last time I checked, thats an EXCELLENT bowl performance. That and because he isn't "wowing" during practices are signs of immaturity??? That makes no sense at all. No less he had 80+ catches and 1100+ yards in the best conference in college football. I think the raiders cap thing is a little blown out of proportion if you ask me but its whatever. Overall, none of these are signs of a "basket case" if you ask me. And I can just about guarantee you werent saying anything close to that when we originally drafted him
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: As I've said before regarding this, where do you put Myles Jack??? Our WLB plays about 20 snaps a game (Greenway). So we are going to take Jack and play him 20 snaps a game?? And don't say "Well he could have played for Barr since he had a down year" because prior to this season, Barr was one of the better OLBs in the league so there was really no need to draft Jack. Kendricks is a man amongst boys out there. There was no room for Jack
I think Jack would likely replace Greenway, in that scenario, whether immediately ir not.

Im one of those who took Myles off the board due to his injury.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

His sophomore year he was unstoppable, in the SEC of all conferences. Then he suffered a horrible leg injury. His junior year he was not fully recovered and at prime playing speed but he still had a great season. Immediately into getting ready for the draft and then going out on the field with the Vikings.
He was a great pick. It was the right pick.

As for the hat.... Get over it. It was a style thing. Unbelievable!