View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Treadwell hopes to make rookie season a distant memory 
Defensive Tackle

Post Treadwell hopes to make rookie season a distant memory
Treadwell hopes to make one-catch rookie season a distant memory

Quote:
There's almost no way to characterize Treadwell's rookie year -- after the Vikings took him 23rd overall -- as anything other than a disappointment. Coach Mike Zimmer said on Tuesday that Treadwell's feet were bothering him earlier in the season (a claim Treadwell shrugged off when Zimmer first brought it up in November), and the 21-year-old missed the Vikings' last three games with an ankle injury he suffered on special teams. In between, the rookie often stewed on the sideline even when he was healthy, and appeared not to be on the same page as Bradford on his last target of the year, at a pivotal moment in the Vikings' Dec. 1 loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

At this point, though, remorseful retrospectives on Treadwell's rookie year accomplish only so much. The Vikings have to figure out how to involve the Mississippi product in their offense in 2017, when they're still likely to need a boost from a physical receiver in the red zone, and Treadwell has to make a meaningful contribution after his one-catch first year.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:59 am
Practice Squad

Post Re: Treadwell hopes to make rookie season a distant memory
I think we need a new WR coach.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:51 am
Commissioner

This team's offense does strange things with its receivers, so who knows what they'll do about Treadwell.

I think the Vikings already have receivers, both WRs and TE Rudolph, who can catch in the red zone.

Not to knock Treadwell, but I wish the Vikings would have drafted OL help. Oh well, hindsight is always perfect.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:55 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

losperros wrote:
This team's offense does strange things with its receivers, so who knows what they'll do about Treadwell.

I think the Vikings already have receivers, both WRs and TE Rudolph, who can catch in the red zone.

Not to knock Treadwell, but I wish the Vikings would have drafted OL help. Oh well, hindsight is always perfect.

Couldn't agree more.....sure wish they had gone OL as well.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:12 pm
Hall of Famer

I wanted Myles Jack throughout the entire draft as he was falling. He would have been a much better pick...

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:38 pm
Hall of Famer

losperros wrote:

I agree. Even if Treadwell didnt look like a bust (IMHO) we could have gotten a quality Olineman. At this point ANYONE on the Oline, picked in the first, should knock our socks off. But then Kalil was a bust oo. Time to look for some scouts and a GM that knows what hes doing.

Rookies like Treadwell are so hard to take cause theres nothing even written about him. Even in practice. Like 'Treadwell showed some promise today!' Or some thing like that. I know CP84 finally is coming around and I couldnt be happier for him. But Treadwell is slowwwww.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:41 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
I wanted Myles Jack throughout the entire draft as he was falling. He would have been a much better pick...

As I've said before regarding this, where do you put Myles Jack??? Our WLB plays about 20 snaps a game (Greenway). So we are going to take Jack and play him 20 snaps a game?? And don't say "Well he could have played for Barr since he had a down year" because prior to this season, Barr was one of the better OLBs in the league so there was really no need to draft Jack. Kendricks is a man amongst boys out there. There was no room for Jack

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:19 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
losperros wrote:

I agree. Even if Treadwell didnt look like a bust (IMHO) we could have gotten a quality Olineman. At this point ANYONE on the Oline, picked in the first, should knock our socks off. But then Kalil was a bust oo. Time to look for some scouts and a GM that knows what hes doing.

Rookies like Treadwell are so hard to take cause theres nothing even written about him. Even in practice. Like 'Treadwell showed some promise today!' Or some thing like that. I know CP84 finally is coming around and I couldnt be happier for him. But Treadwell is slowwwww.

Like I also said before, there was a NEED for Treadwell coming into this year. CP was nothing more than a KR, Thielen was average AT BEST, and Johnson was Johnson. We had nothing outside of Diggs.

As for Kalil, it had nothing to do with scouts or the GM. Matt Kalil was the best OT in college football that year and as someone has pointed out before, Kalil was so good that he bumped Tyron Smith out of LT at USC and he went to RT. Plus the guy has a pro bowl rookie season. So to try and point the finger at scouts or the GM regarding Kalil doesnt seem very fair to me when you look at how everything was back then. And the fact that we were desperate for a LT. Matt Kalil was his own problem

Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:22 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

I'm kind of torn with a lot of this because I went back and looked at the Treadwell thread when he was drafted and most everyone that posted in that thread seemed to love the pick. There wasnt a ton of talk regarding OL. However, now, when everyone knows how bad the OL was, we all say we should have went there. Pretty easy to say that now but many werent saying it back then :whistle:

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:29 pm
Veteran

Well, it isn't like he can do any worse than this year. Cut him, trade him for peanuts, or hide him on the roster for the next three seasons, either way, he has the same value to us. Shocking another basket case slipped through our scouting department.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:36 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

joe h wrote:
Well, it isn't like he can do any worse than this year. Cut him, trade him for peanuts, or hide him on the roster for the next three seasons, either way, he has the same value to us. Shocking another basket case slipped through our scouting department.

"Basket case"?? :confused:

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:47 pm
Veteran

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
joe h wrote:

Showing up to that press conference wearing a raiders cap raised a few alarms, and that awful bowl game performance last year. The guy is also not wowing anyone during practice, apparently. All signs of immaturity. But who knows, I hope it doesn't come down to a contract year before the kids wants to play, like Patterson.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:05 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

joe h wrote:
joe h wrote:

Showing up to that press conference wearing a raiders cap raised a few alarms, and that awful bowl game performance last year. The guy is also not wowing anyone during practice, apparently. All signs of immaturity. But who knows, I hope it doesn't come down to a contract year before the kids wants to play, like Patterson.

Dude I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Treadwell had 6 catches for 71 yards and 3 touchdowns against OK St. in the Bowl game last year. Last time I checked, thats an EXCELLENT bowl performance. That and because he isn't "wowing" during practices are signs of immaturity??? That makes no sense at all. No less he had 80+ catches and 1100+ yards in the best conference in college football. I think the raiders cap thing is a little blown out of proportion if you ask me but its whatever. Overall, none of these are signs of a "basket case" if you ask me. And I can just about guarantee you werent saying anything close to that when we originally drafted him

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:47 pm
Packers Suck

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:

As I've said before regarding this, where do you put Myles Jack??? Our WLB plays about 20 snaps a game (Greenway). So we are going to take Jack and play him 20 snaps a game?? And don't say "Well he could have played for Barr since he had a down year" because prior to this season, Barr was one of the better OLBs in the league so there was really no need to draft Jack. Kendricks is a man amongst boys out there. There was no room for Jack

I think Jack would likely replace Greenway, in that scenario, whether immediately ir not.

Im one of those who took Myles off the board due to his injury.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:02 pm
Transition Player

His sophomore year he was unstoppable, in the SEC of all conferences. Then he suffered a horrible leg injury. His junior year he was not fully recovered and at prime playing speed but he still had a great season. Immediately into getting ready for the draft and then going out on the field with the Vikings.
He was a great pick. It was the right pick.

As for the hat.... Get over it. It was a style thing. Unbelievable!

Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:29 pm
Hall of Famer

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:

And don't say "Well he could have played for Barr since he had a down year" because prior to this season, Barr was one of the better OLBs in the league so there was really no need to draft Jack.

Never once did I assert that he should have/would have played for Barr. Nor was I going to state we should have played Myles Jack over Anthony Barr. Finally, I never once suggested that we should have benched Barr this season. He had a bad year, but he is still well-above Lamur/Brothers/Cole/Robinson in terms of talent.

Bait attempt: 0/10

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:21 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Jordysghost wrote:
HardcoreVikesFan wrote:

I think Jack would likely replace Greenway, in that scenario, whether immediately ir not.

Im one of those who took Myles off the board due to his injury.

But like I said, the WLB in Zims scheme isn't on the field very often. It's mostly Kendricks and Barr so thats my question is why would you want him when you don't have a defense that could really fit him in

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:22 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
Never once did I assert that he should have/would have played for Barr. Nor was I going to state we should have played Myles Jack over Anthony Barr. Finally, I never once suggested that we should have benched Barr this season. He had a bad year, but he is still well-above Lamur/Brothers/Cole/Robinson in terms of talent.

Bait attempt: 0/10

Never once did I say you DID say that. I was saying that if you did try to say that, there still wouldnt be any reason to draft Jack. So no, I didnt try to "bait" you but good try

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:25 pm
Hall of Famer

joe h wrote:

Yeah, Im not sure if hes a basket case. Zim and Norv dont play anyone right away. Its almost by accident they put someone like Diggs in.

The fact remains, we KNEW Treadwell had issues like getting off the LoS and had no speed. And boy were they right

Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:55 am
Rookie

The guy is only 21 so give him time, I still believe that he will become a big redzone threat for us (something we all were crying out for this time last year with most of us saying go Oline in the second). Hopefully he will learn alot from this season, get his feet right and come back stronger and make some plays.

I know we all wanted him to come in a burn up the league but hell we have Playmakers in CP (2 odd seasons) and Wright (lately)that have been riding the hell out of that bench so I am willing to give the rookie a break. Zimmer doesnt like to play Rookies unless he has to and even then its very limited snaps.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:29 am
Commissioner

LondonViking wrote:
The guy is only 21 so give him time, I still believe that he will become a big redzone threat for us (something we all were crying out for this time last year with most of us saying go Oline in the second). Hopefully he will learn alot from this season, get his feet right and come back stronger and make some plays.

I know we all wanted him to come in a burn up the league but hell we have Playmakers in CP (2 odd seasons) and Wright (lately)that have been riding the hell out of that bench so I am willing to give the rookie a break. Zimmer doesnt like to play Rookies unless he has to and even then its very limited snaps.

Except that Patterson was dynamic and Wright was helpful in their rookie years. Both rode the bench after the coaching change. In my view, Patterson could and should have played more the last two years and Wright should have played more often last season.

As for Treadwell, maybe he never gets his chance to shine. Maybe it will be because he can't get his NFL game together or maybe he'll be relegated to the bench for reasons we never know.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:11 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

losperros wrote:
LondonViking wrote:

Except that Patterson was dynamic and Wright was helpful in their rookie years. Both rode the bench after the coaching change. In my view, Patterson could and should have played more the last two years and Wright should have played more often last season.

As for Treadwell, maybe he never gets his chance to shine. Maybe it will be because he can't get his NFL game together or maybe he'll be relegated to the bench for reasons we never know.

I highly highly doubt he "never gets his chance". 7th round picks sometimes never get a chance. Not first round picks.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:16 am
Fenrir

I'm not Treadwell's biggest fan but I'm also not ready to write him off just yet. The one positive thing is he seems to have a very strong work ethic and he was very productive in the best college conference despite being slow. We have a ton of speed, I think all the other WR's are 4.4 guys, so that's not a major issue so long as he can run crisp routes and show good hands.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:40 pm
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:
I'm not Treadwell's biggest fan but I'm also not ready to write him off just yet. The one positive thing is he seems to have a very strong work ethic and he was very productive in the best college conference despite being slow. We have a ton of speed, I think all the other WR's are 4.4 guys, so that's not a major issue so long as he can run crisp routes and show good hands.

But there is slow, and then is there is not even able to get off the LoS when you get a chance. I think he is the slowest WR (not TE, FB, Etc.) Ive ever seen. To me he has another Rick bust written all over him. Hope I am wrong. I hope part of it Zimmer just being his usual self, and somehow Treadwell has to prove himself without ever seeing the field. They rarely use CJ, put Tread in his spot for a few quarters next year....if both are still here.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:47 pm
Commissioner

Holzberg wrote:

There were questions about Treadwell.
Drafted for the offense he was drafted for?
How about we look at the GM before the WR coach...

Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:16 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

I agree with the WR coach possibly being replaced... None of our WRs can get any separation other than Diggs and Thielen occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

losperros wrote:
LondonViking wrote:

Let's not get too giddy over Patterson. I'm glad they used him more, but he still catches little except for bubble screens. Even against the Bears, when he caught a 39-yard pass early in the game, he did little else and cost his QB a pick when he got badly outfought by a 5-10 DB for a 50-50 ball. He was better this year, and he played hard, but overall he's still a disappointment to me. His value as a kick returner may be the only reason he's still a Viking.

Treadwell has a lot to prove. Maybe he'll join up with the Larry Fitzgerald crowd in the offseason and get better. We can only hope. First-round WR selection seems to be an a area where the Vikings have whiffed for quite a long time. Hoping Treadwell can turn it around and buck that trend.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:17 am
Commissioner

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
losperros wrote:

Let's not get too giddy over Patterson. I'm glad they used him more, but he still catches little except for bubble screens. Even against the Bears, when he caught a 39-yard pass early in the game, he did little else and cost his QB a pick when he got badly outfought by a 5-10 DB for a 50-50 ball. He was better this year, and he played hard, but overall he's still a disappointment to me. His value as a kick returner may be the only reason he's still a Viking.

I'm not giddy over anyone on the Vikings right now but I sure do like the Patterson's playmaking abilities. Patterson is dangerous with the ball in his hands and to me that's something the Vikings can always use. He's the best kick returner in the league, yes, but also a good punt gunner and a good 3rd or 4th wide receiver. From what I've seen, CP has caught the ball on pass routes other than quick hits. I think a little more imagination in play calling and offensive coordination would benefit and diversify all the WRs on the team.

Just my two cents, but the Vikings will be making a mistake if they don't re-sign the guy. Patterson offers the team attributes they will always need. YMMV

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:42 am
Commissioner

Demi wrote:
Holzberg wrote:

There were questions about Treadwell.
Drafted for the offense he was drafted for?
How about we look at the GM before the WR coach...

Basically, that's my take as well.

I really don't want to slam Treadwell but I feel he was a questionable draft pick.

I think it's obvious some misguided thinking went into overlooking OL players with the first pick.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:46 am
Veteran

A couple of WR's with questionable separation speed issues that have done quite well in the NFL are Larry Fitzgerald and Anquon Boldin, I could see Treadwell developing in the mold of these guys as he has some of the same measurable's.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next