Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay cut

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by IrishViking »

I know people dont want to think about it but a relatively healthy Kalil might be our best asset we "Get" this offseason.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Given the weak OL class and the lack of experience in a pro style systems in the college game, This could be the answer. Guys with the physical tools who come into the league raw and get a year or two on a practice squad might be the best value available to improve an OL in shambles.
I dont know thats an awful risky approach. And if we went that route I would imagine this board would be going bonkers. There are still a lot of good OL in this class. I believe we can find some solid players if we play our cards right
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

To me there are two different trains of thought going on here. The distinction is one group thinks we can be a contender in 2017 if we address the OL. The other thinks the window is closed and it isn't happening.

IMO, if the team thinks the window is open then it's approach to OL is very different than if they think it isn't there yet.

If the window is open, then Free Agency is the answer. Draft picks are needed for the future, but it is not likely, even if they trade up, that the situation at Tackle will be better in 2017 unless they add a Free Agent, probably two. The recent history of draft picks starting, let alone playing effectively as rookies is very poor. This is compounded by both the poor strength of the draft at tackle and our lack of a 1st round pick.

They can and certainly should fish the mid to late rounds for developmental talent given how bare the current cupboard is for this position group, but the likelihood of a 3rd round or later pick coming in and contributing immediately is pathetically low.

Even if the window is not open, there is risk to the QB in keeping the current tackle situation or going with an unproven, mid to low round rookie. So while they may not bid as high for a high profile free agent in that situation, they would still likely need a new body to protect their new QB.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:To me there are two different trains of thought going on here. The distinction is one group thinks we can be a contender in 2017 if we address the OL. The other thinks the window is closed and it isn't happening.

IMO, if the team thinks the window is open then it's approach to OL is very different than if they think it isn't there yet.

If the window is open, then Free Agency is the answer.
But what, exactly, does that phrase mean to you? Should the team pay any price to out-bid the competition for free agents they covet in an effort to rebuild the OL in one offseason and thus become an immediate Super Bowl contender?

I see no reason for the team to take a singular approach to this issue at all. In other words, I don't think free agency is the answer but simply one avenue toward improvement. The Vikes would be wise to approach the problem on all fronts. They need to scout like crazy and seek to improve the OL by any reasonable means possible. Whether they have a window to reach the Super Bowl next season or not should have little impact on their approach. The point should be to put together a better, deeper, more talented line and to do so using their resources wisely. Do that and they'll be in better shape to compete next year and down the road.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The distinction to me is this:

Do they feel that they have a higher % chance to win the SB next year than they would in most other seasons. If the answer is YES, then there is reason to engage in shorter term thinking to maximize the chance at a Lombardi Trophy.

If they feel the chance is low, then it makes more sense to play the long game.

Consider a corrolary question to the above: How willing are you to sacrifice a chance at a Lombardi Trophy by being conservative? Some might call that playing not to lose...

It is also worth noting that the Vikings FO has given every indication that they believe the time is now and the window is open. You can agree or disagree with their view of the roster, but they have already made a major move indicating this viewpoint via the Sam Bradford trade. That is not something you do when you are just "talking the talk." Does anyone really think this mindset will not influence the decisions they make in the next 10 weeks?

Personally, I prefer to think about what might actually happen as opposed to what I think should happen when it comes to the NFL. My point above is based in that thinking. All things considered going into the 2017 off season, the probability of them finding a competitive option at either Tackle spot is by far the highest in Free Agency. Add in the sense of urgency that a superbowl window brings and it is even more likely that they'll go for a high cost player who can immediately contribute.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:The distinction to me is this:

Do they feel that they have a higher % chance to win the SB next year than they would in most other seasons. If the answer is YES, then there is reason to engage in shorter term thinking to maximize the chance at a Lombardi Trophy.
I understand that's what you're saying but I'm wondering how that translates into specifics. The meaning of phrases like "Free Agency is the answer" and "shorter term thinking" is relatively self-evident but where do you see the limits of such an approach or do you see limits at all? Should they sign 3 starting-caliber free agents regardless of the cost or the potential long term consequences of outbidding the competition and overpaying for the talent?
If they feel the chance is low, then it makes more sense to play the long game.

Consider a corrolary question to the above: How willing are you to sacrifice a chance at a Lombardi Trophy by being conservative? Some might call that playing not to lose...
I'm not talking about being conservative. I've simply been talking about the difference between being aggressive about improvement and becoming reckless in a way that could lead to cap issues or insufficient return on a heavy investment.
It is also worth noting that the Vikings FO has given every indication that they believe the time is now and the window is open. You can agree or disagree with their view of the roster, but they have already made a major move indicating this viewpoint via the Sam Bradford trade. That is not something you do when you are just "talking the talk." Does anyone really think this mindset will not influence the decisions they make in the next 10 weeks?

Personally, I prefer to think about what might actually happen as opposed to what I think should happen when it comes to the NFL. My point above is based in that thinking. All things considered going into the 2017 off season, the probability of them finding a competitive option at either Tackle spot is by far the highest in Free Agency. Add in the sense of urgency that a superbowl window brings and it is even more likely that they'll go for a high cost player who can immediately contribute.
I think that's likely too but again: how much is too much?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I dont know thats an awful risky approach. And if we went that route I would imagine this board would be going bonkers. There are still a lot of good OL in this class. I believe we can find some solid players if we play our cards right
You mean the way we've found so many solid O-linemen in the draft over the past several years?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I dont know thats an awful risky approach. And if we went that route I would imagine this board would be going bonkers. There are still a lot of good OL in this class. I believe we can find some solid players if we play our cards right
I'm just trying to think 'ahead of the curve' about where to get the best value in building an offensive line in the current environent.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Just once, I would like to see one of my favorite players start and finish their entire career in purple. I never got to see Moss do it. I never got to see Kevin Williams do it, Jared Allen didn't, nor did Antonine Winfield (I am 24, so hence the recency bias).

I understand the nature of the NFL: A player staying on a team for his entire career is very, very unlikely. Still, regardless of his age, no other player is Adrain Peterson but Adrian Peterson. I still think he can contribute to this team and bring them success.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Just once, I would like to see one of my favorite players start and finish their entire career in purple. I never got to see Moss do it. I never got to see Kevin Williams do it, Jared Allen didn't, nor did Antonine Winfield (I am 24, so hence the recency bias).

I understand the nature of the NFL: A player staying on a team for his entire career is very, very unlikely. Still, regardless of his age, no other player is Adrain Peterson but Adrian Peterson. I still think he can contribute to this team and bring them success.
I do too and it really would be nice to see him finish his career in Minnesota.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

There is a lot of FA running backs out there cheap.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ ... ning-back/
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

halfgiz wrote:There is a lot of FA running backs out there cheap.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ ... ning-back/
Jacques Rodgers would be a good fit. I wouldn't mind Eddie Lacy either. :gone:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Seriously ? Draft a kid and sign Jamaal Charles.
When healthy... He's PERFECT for this system !
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

24 more days till we find out

From 720Pete's thread:
March 8th - Final day to exercise an option on Adrian Peterson 's 2017 year ($11.75 million base salary, $6 million roster bonus (March 11), $250,000 workout bonus). Declining option would give $18 million in salary cap room.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

the LAST thing I wanna do is watch AP run out the fading days of his career in purple, repetitively injured and off the field, eating up cap space, and getting in the way of our team progress. Modern day players are NOT going to take significant pay cuts to "finish their career in purple". Its a business to both players and owners and keeping an aging RB will be a bad move, certainly NOT the move of a team trying to win a Super Bowl....as the Pats if they would keep an old broken RB on the team.......