Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay cut

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by fiestavike »

720pete wrote:We currently have $21 million in cap space for 2017. If we cut AP we free up another $18 million, nearly doubling our cap space instantly.
Getting rid of Peterson, Floyd, Lamur, Crichton, Clemmings and Beavers would get them to 50.69million in cap space. I expect Robison will re-structure his deal, but he could be worth almost 6 million in cap space if they cut him. As I said, I think he'll do the full Chad Greenway and work 2 or 3 million off his deal.

Players like Sendejo and Sherels are in the 2-3 million range with no guaranteed money. They are both worth keeping at that price, but depending on how they address FA (say they target a Safety or a guy who can return punts) they have 5 million sitting there in a piggy bank which they could put toward an upgrade elsewhere.

Jarius Wright and his 3 million could be shipped of via trade, but half his salary is guaranteed so I don't think they'll cut him.

That's about is much cap space as they can generate this season. Somewhere around 64.5 million tops, more likely around 52 million.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I'm guessing they'd really like to trade him, even if they only get a 7th, so they can have some control over where he goes (and especially where he doesn't go). Obviously he'd have to work out a deal with a team. It could even explain why Peterson is publicly courting teams. The brass might be encouraging him to see if he can work out a deal so they can ship him off.

I think there is a chance that his pride won't let him play next season if the market for his services is as soft as I think it could be.
If it works out that way, it could even be more than just pride. Peterson has made a lot of money and taken a lot of physical punishment. When you've already made millions, it's one thing to keep playing and taking that punishment for another $8+ million a year and it's another to do it for $1 or $2 million a year. I feel silly saying that because to most of us, that's still an enormous amount of money. My point is simply that pride could be a factor but short and long term health considerations could start weighing more heavily if the market for Peterson ends up being really soft.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: If it works out that way, it could even be more than just pride. Peterson has made a lot of money and taken a lot of physical punishment. When you've already made millions, it's one thing to keep playing and taking that punishment for another $8+ million a year and it's another to do it for $1 or $2 million a year. I feel silly saying that because to most of us, that's still an enormous amount of money. My point is simply that pride could be a factor but short and long term health considerations could start weighing more heavily if the market for Peterson ends up being really soft.
That's a fair point Jim.

I think he could get as much as 6 million or as little as 4 million. If a team pays more, it would be a 1 year deal and they would have plenty of cap room to just take a gamble. Nobody is going to pay a 32 year old RB coming off season ending surgery like they are counting on him to carry the load. Even if it is Adrian Peterson.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:That's a fair point Jim.

I think he could get as much as 6 million or as little as 4 million. If a team pays more, it would be a 1 year deal and they would have plenty of cap room to just take a gamble. Nobody is going to pay a 32 year old RB coming off season ending surgery like they are counting on him to carry the load. Even if it is Adrian Peterson.
Agreed.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Adrian set to be a free agent Vikes decline option

Post by Maelstrom88 »

https://www.google.com/amp/profootballt ... tract/amp/

We all knew it was coming. I don't see him returning.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Adrian set to be a free agent Vikes decline option

Post by Boon »

yep, clears up 17 mil though, give or take
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

With that, Jerick McKinnon, C.J. Ham and Bishop Sankey are the only Vikings backs under contract in 2017.

Vikings declined AP's option. It will give AP and the Vikings a chance to see what his market value is.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

halfgiz wrote:With that, Jerick McKinnon, C.J. Ham and Bishop Sankey are the only Vikings backs under contract in 2017.

Vikings declined AP's option. It will give AP and the Vikings a chance to see what his market value is.
I wonder what Peterson thinks his market value is at this point.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

So this gives us how much in cap space right now?? Roughly ~$38 million??
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:So this gives us how much in cap space right now?? Roughly ~$38 million??
Somewhere around $40 million, depending on the source.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

When Peterson entered NFL in 2007, no team had ever used shotgun on more than 50% of plays.

2016 season: shotgun on 79% of passing plays.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote:
That's sad.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote:
Wow. Pretty crazy stat
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wow. Pretty crazy stat
Wait, that stat doesn't really mean anything, right? In 2016, if a team passed 50% of the time and ran it the other 50% of the time, wouldn't the the 2007 stat still be true (that shotgun was used on less than 50% of the plays) if teams use shotgun on 79% of passing plays?

It would be a crazy stat if it was 79% of ALL plays in 2016.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Yay we got 40 million we will do nothing with, miss out of the best F/A on the spot we need just to settle for another B- type player like Boone. Because we rebuild through the draft! Another year of a non-existent running game yay! This Franchise better have a few surprises this year after a season like the last...
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson