Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay cut

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

chicagopurple wrote:the LAST thing I wanna do is watch AP run out the fading days of his career in purple, repetitively injured and off the field, eating up cap space, and getting in the way of our team progress. Modern day players are NOT going to take significant pay cuts to "finish their career in purple". Its a business to both players and owners and keeping an aging RB will be a bad move, certainly NOT the move of a team trying to win a Super Bowl....as the Pats if they would keep an old broken RB on the team.......
Agreed.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/ ... -peterson/

Running backs just aren't valued like they use to be. Hard to imagine AP being in purple next year. Unless they overpay for him.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Alaskan wrote:http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/ ... -peterson/

Running backs just aren't valued like they use to be. Hard to imagine AP being in purple next year. Unless they overpay for him.
He would get far more money here than anywhere else, and it does seem that money is important to him. Whether or not it will be the deciding factor remains to be seen.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

This is a pretty good read from Ben Goessling:

How can the Vikings approach Adrian Peterson's contract?
How would such a deal be constructed? To answer that question, we turned to ESPN NFL business analyst Andrew Brandt, who spent the first part of his career as an agent before negotiating contracts for nine years as a vice president of the Green Bay Packers. When Brandt arrived in Green Bay, one of his first tasks was something akin to what the Vikings are facing: approaching decorated veterans -- many of whom had been instrumental in the Packers' Super Bowl XXXI championship -- and asking them to take a pay cut.

"I'm going to LeRoy Butler, Dorsey Levens, Antonio Freeman, Santana Dotson, trying to get their money down," Brandt said. "You have to be professional. You have to be tactful. You have to show them purpose, if you can, that it's for the greater good. In LeRoy Butler's case, it was basically like, 'I'm taking your money and giving it to your partner in crime at safety, Darren Sharper.' That was kind of a way to explain it that hopefully had some benefits. It's not easy."
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:This is a pretty good read from Ben Goessling:

How can the Vikings approach Adrian Peterson's contract?
It is a good read. Thanks for the link.

The video with it is good as well. The bottom line in the video states the situation is really all in Peterson's hands. If he wants to remain a Viking, he can do so by accepting new contract terms, even if it includes a significant pay cut. There is no way the Vikings can know for certain how much AD has left in him.

As I've said before (maybe too many times now), if the Vikings don't address the OL, then it's not going to matter who they have at the RB position.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

I suppose I'm unsure why guys say "IF the Vikings address the OL.....". I feel like I see it constantly.

It's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of HOW. Does anyone really believe we are going to roll with:

LT: Rashod Hill
LG: Alex Boone
C: Joe Berger
RG: Kerin/Shepard
RT: Jeremiah Sirles

I could bet any amount of money that I could get my hands on that this won't happen. I feel like fans take this whole "Spileman has neglected the OL for years" thing to a whole new level. Does anyone truly believe we WON"T address the OL at all this year?? Maybe sign some below average guy and maybe spend a 5th on an OL?? I mean come on. I think it's pretty clear we have some sort of plan given the fact that we cut Fusco and Harris. If anyone thinks Spielman and Zim are going to go into next year with that OL above, I truly have to question your football knowledge
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I suppose I'm unsure why guys say "IF the Vikings address the OL.....". I feel like I see it constantly.

It's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of HOW. Does anyone really believe we are going to roll with:

LT: Rashod Hill
LG: Alex Boone
C: Joe Berger
RG: Kerin/Shepard
RT: Jeremiah Sirles

I could bet any amount of money that I could get my hands on that this won't happen. I feel like fans take this whole "Spileman has neglected the OL for years" thing to a whole new level. Does anyone truly believe we WON"T address the OL at all this year?

Of course not so rather than taking a comment like the one Craig (losperros) made above literally, it's safe to assume there's an implied adjective in there, like "adequately" or effectively". We all know they'll make some OL moves. What's really in question is what approach they'll take and whether they'll actually do a good job.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Adrian has to realize that reducing his salary means we can spend it on an offensive line, who, idk, can actually block for him - so that he can be successful?

I cannot fault players for trying to get all they can before their career is over, but - come on. How much more money does Adrian really need? I am sure he has made close to 100 million with his contracts and endorsements throughout his career. He can afford at least a 66% salary decrease.

I want Peterson to retire and play his entire career as a Viking, but I understand this is a business. If he isn't going to be flexible at all, then that wish of mine won't be feasible.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:

Of course not so rather than taking a comment like the one Craig (losperros) made above literally, it's safe to assume there's an implied adjective in there, like "adequately" or effectively". We all know they'll make some OL moves. What's really in question is what approach they'll take and whether they'll actually do a good job.
lol I think every post I make on here is taken literally. I wasn't directing that right at him it's just something I always see on here. And a lot of it is based on Spielmans past which drives me nuts. Just because he didn't do it like some would like prior doesn't mean he can't this year
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Adrian has to realize that reducing his salary means we can spend it on an offensive line, who, idk, can actually block for him - so that he can be successful?

I cannot fault players for trying to get all they can before their career is over, but - come on. How much more money does Adrian really need? I am sure he has made close to 100 million with his contracts and endorsements throughout his career. He can afford at least a 66% salary decrease.

I want Peterson to retire and play his entire career as a Viking, but I understand this is a business. If he isn't going to be flexible at all, then that wish of mine won't be feasible.
I don't see why he'd be inflexible unless he actually wants out of Minnesota.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: I don't see why he'd be inflexible unless he actually wants out of Minnesota.
Jim, I know you really appreciate what Adrian Peterson has brought to Minnesota, as do I. But his behavior lately isn't earning him any respect with the Vikings front office. Working up Giants and Texans fans into a lather on Twitter, or trying to conjure up a market and spur the Vikings' front office to action -- that doesn't sound like a guy who's willing to be flexible. That sounds like a guy who's trying to manipulate the system. I could be wrong.

Even if I am, here's the other sobering truth. As legendary as Peterson's performance has been over his career, he plays a disposable position in a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league -- lately he hasn't done much of anything. It's not just this season. Over his past 9 games (6 in 2015, 3 this past season) he's rushed 150 times for 438 yards. That's 2.9 yards per carry, which just about any fourth-round rookie can manage. Furthermore, reports from scouts around the NFL indicate they don't like what they're seeing on tape. And the Vikings know more than anybody what AP's capabilities are at this point. Adrian Peterson plays a disposable position. His legend doesn't change that.

I will be stunned if Adrian Peterson is wearing purple in 2017. As they say, it only takes one team to overpay. Somebody is likely to offer AP more than the Vikings will.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Even if I am, here's the other sobering truth. As legendary as Peterson's performance has been over his career, he plays a disposable position in a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league -- lately he hasn't done much of anything. It's not just this season. Over his past 9 games (6 in 2015, 3 this past season) he's rushed 150 times for 438 yards. That's 2.9 yards per carry, which just about any fourth-round rookie can manage. Furthermore, reports from scouts around the NFL indicate they don't like what they're seeing on tape. And the Vikings know more than anybody what AP's capabilities are at this point. Adrian Peterson plays a disposable position. His legend doesn't change that.

I will be stunned if Adrian Peterson is wearing purple in 2017. As they say, it only takes one team to overpay. Somebody is likely to offer AP more than the Vikings will.
I will be stunned if Peterson is a Viking in 2017 as well, mainly because I don't think the Vikings will be able to afford him. That doesn't mean I think he'll be completely inflexible but I feel he has a bottom line financially and I believe it's more than the Vikings are willing to spend.

Regarding Peterson's past 9 games, I put some of the 2.9 yards per carry on the bumbling performance by the offensive line. I hate to keep bringing the OL up but the film the past two years has revealed some major offensive ineptitude in the trenches. I assume the NFL scouts see it, too.

I'm with Jim in having a deep respect for AD's abilities and what he's done for the team in the past, including how many times he's carried the offense on his back. But admittedly the past is the past and the Vikings are looking at the future, as they should be. Is Peterson part of the future for the Vikings? I don't think so. Not with Shurmur's offense and not with Peterson's price tag.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Jim, I know you really appreciate what Adrian Peterson has brought to Minnesota, as do I. But his behavior lately isn't earning him any respect with the Vikings front office. Working up Giants and Texans fans into a lather on Twitter, or trying to conjure up a market and spur the Vikings' front office to action -- that doesn't sound like a guy who's willing to be flexible. That sounds like a guy who's trying to manipulate the system. I could be wrong.
Of course it's an effort to manipulate. It's an effort to create negotiating leverage and not an unusual or uncommon one in NFL circles, which is why I'm not concerned or upset about it. I've seen it used again and again by players over the years. It doesn't mean he'll be inflexible in actual contract negotiations with the Vikings but at his age, with his contract, and coming off of a season lost to injury, he's not exactly in an ideal position from which to begin those negotiations. I don't begrudge him any effort to put himself in a better position.
Even if I am, here's the other sobering truth. As legendary as Peterson's performance has been over his career, he plays a disposable position in a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league -- lately he hasn't done much of anything. It's not just this season. Over his past 9 games (6 in 2015, 3 this past season) he's rushed 150 times for 438 yards. That's 2.9 yards per carry, which just about any fourth-round rookie can manage. Furthermore, reports from scouts around the NFL indicate they don't like what they're seeing on tape. And the Vikings know more than anybody what AP's capabilities are at this point. Adrian Peterson plays a disposable position. His legend doesn't change that.
From an NFL team's point of view, they're all disposable positions unless you're a star quarterback. Teams mercilessly cut players all the time. There's little, if any, genuine loyalty beyond a player's immediate perceived value which is why I have no problem with Peterson or any other player expressing a willingness to play elsewhere. I wish it were otherwise but it's just not how the NFL works.
That's entirely possible and if it happens, I'll be sorry to see him go and I'll be hoping he plays well elsewhere.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Regarding Peterson's past 9 games, I put some of the 2.9 yards per carry on the bumbling performance by the offensive line. I hate to keep bringing the OL up but the film the past two years has revealed some major offensive ineptitude in the trenches. I assume the NFL scouts see it, too.
I assume they do too. It seems impossible to miss. In addition to the inept OL play, a lot of responsibility has to go on the Vikings passing game during those games too. Defenses weren't worried about the likes of Teddy Bridgewater or Shaun Hill beating them and Peterson barely played with Bradford (not that the Vikings passing game was striking fear into anybody last year either). They were worried about and focused on Peterson and when you combine that dynamic with terrible blocking, of course he struggled at times. That culminated in the first game of last season, which was probably the worst run-blocking performance I've ever seen from an offensive line. He barely had a chance to gain positive yardage in that game.
I'm with Jim in having a deep respect for AD's abilities and what he's done for the team in the past, including how many times he's carried the offense on his back. But admittedly the past is the past and the Vikings are looking at the future, as they should be. Is Peterson part of the future for the Vikings? I don't think so. Not with Shurmur's offense and not with Peterson's price tag.
I doubt it too. I'd just prefer to see them choose a different path than the one they're likely to take. Then again, I'm extremely frustrated with the front office and coaching staff at this point. I suspect they'll all be as gone as Peterson in a few years. :(
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

If the Vikings cut him, and the actual market for his services is 4 million on a prove it 1-2 year contract, does anyone else think we might just see Peterson retire?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins