View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:44 pm



Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Offensive Coordinator 
Author Message
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Offensive Coordinator
autobon7 wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Here's an option that I guess is out now that Shurmur has been promoted: former Vikings OC Bill Musgrave is out in Oakland after coordinating the Raiders offense into the top 10 (they were ranked dead last in the league the year before he took over). Apparently, his contract was up and the Raiders aren't going to renew it, reportedly choosing to promote QB coach Todd Downing into the position. From what I've reading, it was an 'either/or' scenario, with Downing likely to leave for a coordinator job if he didn't get a promotion.

I think Musgrave was under-appreciated in Minnesota but after the job he didn't in Oakland, I imagine he'll have no trouble finding another position.


Hard to believe he was not retained.....I could see him landing in LA or Cleveland or even Indy



I'm pretty stunned that they're not renewing his contract but he could land in any of the places you just mentioned.

Just in case anybody is wondering, my post above was only meant to be taken half-seriously. I realize there was little to no chance the Vikings would have hired Musgrave to be their new OC even if the job was still open and I'm also aware that many fans wouldn't want him back.


Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:00 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3295
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Offensive Coordinator
On the surface that is surprising, but it really begs the question of "what do we not know?" The Raiders have an elite offense. Why mess with it? Why are they letting Musgrave go in favor of the QB coach? Maybe Carr has something to do with it? Maybe the owner is stupid? Maybe the QB Coach had more to do with the success than we realize?

Musgrave's next spot may tell the story...

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:40 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Offensive Coordinator
mansquatch wrote:
On the surface that is surprising, but it really begs the question of "what do we not know?" The Raiders have an elite offense. Why mess with it? Why are they letting Musgrave go in favor of the QB coach?


According to reports, it's because the QB coach was getting offers to go elsewhere. He's an up and coming young coach and I'm guessing they value him and his relationship with Carr enough that they didn't want to lose him to an OC job elsewhere.


Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:44 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10701
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Offensive Coordinator
Mothman wrote:
Here's an option that I guess is out now that Shurmur has been promoted: former Vikings OC Bill Musgrave is out in Oakland after coordinating the Raiders offense into the top 10 (they were ranked dead last in the league the year before he took over). Apparently, his contract was up and the Raiders aren't going to renew it, reportedly choosing to promote QB coach Todd Downing into the position. From what I've reading, it was an 'either/or' scenario, with Downing likely to leave for a coordinator job if he didn't get a promotion.

I think Musgrave was under-appreciated in Minnesota but after the job he didn't in Oakland, I imagine he'll have no trouble finding another position.


I'm not a fan of Musgrave, his offense here was equally unimaginative and often called for 2 TE sets (not the Vikings strength right now). A lot of people used to make fun of his tiny play call sheet and while that has no bearing on his ability to call plays, I think it's a good analogy as to his style. The Raiders offense fell apart when Carr went down, I imagine they think they have something in Downing and are probably making the right move.


Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:21 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Posts: 10040
Location: Burbank, California
Post Re: Offensive Coordinator
mansquatch wrote:
On the surface that is surprising, but it really begs the question of "what do we not know?" The Raiders have an elite offense. Why mess with it? Why are they letting Musgrave go in favor of the QB coach? Maybe Carr has something to do with it? Maybe the owner is stupid? Maybe the QB Coach had more to do with the success than we realize?

Musgrave's next spot may tell the story...


Musgrave will find work. And yes, the next job will tell us something. I get the feeling he'll land on his feet.

FWIW, Jim is right about the Raiders being crazy about QB coach Todd Downing. So I imagine it had a lot to do with their final decision. OTOH, let's not forget Coach Del Rio fired Musgrave after two seasons in Jacksonville, too. Maybe they just don't get along.

Regarding Musgrave while he was with the Vikings, he wasn't perfect but the guy knew how to utilize the skill talent.


Last edited by losperros on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:51 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4605
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Offensive Coordinator
autobon7 wrote:
Not really sure what WR "mess" you are referring to.....we almost had 2 guys with 1000 yard seasons and Patterson was working his way into quality touches and had 453 himself. It is a bit worrisome that LT only had 1 catch but truthfully we really didn't need him as AT stepped up plus we got good production out of the TE position (97% was Rudolph) which combined was another 900+ receiving yards. I believe the team would have been better served if we would have went OL instead of Treadwell. I'm just not seeing any "mess". Johnson can be let go but Wright is also a quality receiver who was hampered by injury......I'm seeing a very solid group and definitely not a position of need.


Was about to say something very similar

_________________
Image


Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:53 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Posts: 10040
Location: Burbank, California
Post Re: Offensive Coordinator
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
autobon7 wrote:
Not really sure what WR "mess" you are referring to.....we almost had 2 guys with 1000 yard seasons and Patterson was working his way into quality touches and had 453 himself. It is a bit worrisome that LT only had 1 catch but truthfully we really didn't need him as AT stepped up plus we got good production out of the TE position (97% was Rudolph) which combined was another 900+ receiving yards. I believe the team would have been better served if we would have went OL instead of Treadwell. I'm just not seeing any "mess". Johnson can be let go but Wright is also a quality receiver who was hampered by injury......I'm seeing a very solid group and definitely not a position of need.


Was about to say something very similar


So was I. The Vikings WR corps are in good shape. With Sam Bradford as the QB and receivers Diggs, Thielen and Patterson on the field (not to mention TE Rudolph), I believe the Vikings can get a formidable passing attack going if the OL does its job.

I also hope they keep Wright. He's a good receiver, quick and elusive, and gets open.


Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:00 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4605
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Offensive Coordinator
losperros wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
autobon7 wrote:
Not really sure what WR "mess" you are referring to.....we almost had 2 guys with 1000 yard seasons and Patterson was working his way into quality touches and had 453 himself. It is a bit worrisome that LT only had 1 catch but truthfully we really didn't need him as AT stepped up plus we got good production out of the TE position (97% was Rudolph) which combined was another 900+ receiving yards. I believe the team would have been better served if we would have went OL instead of Treadwell. I'm just not seeing any "mess". Johnson can be let go but Wright is also a quality receiver who was hampered by injury......I'm seeing a very solid group and definitely not a position of need.


Was about to say something very similar


So was I. The Vikings WR corps are in good shape. With Sam Bradford as the QB and receivers Diggs, Thielen and Patterson on the field (not to mention TE Rudolph), I believe the Vikings can get a formidable passing attack going if the OL does its job.

I also hope they keep Wright. He's a good receiver, quick and elusive, and gets open.


We also have a guy like Treadwell that's waiting for his chance. As for Wright, I've always liked him but I don't want to keep him at that salary. If we release him we save 2.6. Although I would much rather trade him for a late round pick and get something out of him

_________________
Image


Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:16 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: akvikingsfan and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.