View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Zimmer: Vikings QB Sam Bradford having ‘amazing’ season 
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post Re: Zimmer: Vikings QB Sam Bradford having ‘amazing’ season
It makes you wonder what Bradford could do if he was under the same OC for 3-4 years.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:36 am
Defensive Tackle

Raptorman wrote:
Purple Reign wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
My feeling is that with his arm and accuracy, coupled with our receiving talent, Bradford needs two things to excel.
1. Something remotely resembling an offensive line.
2. Some consistency in who his coordinator is -- something he's never had.

Hard to say it's something he's never had when Shurmur was his OC in St. Louis in 2010 and last year in Philadelphia.

Bradfords OC.

Rams.
Year 1 Shurmer
Year 2. Daniels.
Year 3. Schottenhiemer
Year 4. Schottenhieber
2014. did not play

Eagles Shurmer

Vikings Turner/Shurmer.

Yup, consistency in an OC at it's finest.

It's a lot like what Cutler has had in Chicago. Playing in the same system for the same OC 3-4 years in a row might greatly benefit Bradford but of course, that also makes it crucial for the Vikings to pick the right OC. I don't think they should go with Shurmur just because of his history with Bradford.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:15 am
Defensive Tackle

Regarding Bridgewater's 5th year option:

Last year, the deadline to pick up 5th year options was May 2nd. I don't know if that changes from year to year but if it's still in May, rather than in March when the league year begins, that would give the Vikes a few more months to see how Bridgewater's rehab is going. That said, if the Vikings picked up that option, Bridgewater's salary in 2018 would be the average of the 3rd through 25th highest salaries at his position. That's likely to be a pretty substantial amount so all things considered, I think the Vikes would be foolish to pick up his option.

Bridgewater's cap hit in 2017 is about 2.1 million, which is manageable for a backup QB. However, his ability to actually play has to be a consideration too and the Vikes would be wise to prepare as if he's not going to be available.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:24 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

We could have Joe Montana under center and people on this board will still complain about our QB situation.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:28 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

720pete wrote:
We could have Joe Montana under center and people on this board will still complain about our QB situation.

:lol: touché

Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:49 am
Veteran

The Packers had 16 years with Brett Favre and are just finishing the 9th year with Rodgers, thats 25 years of hall of fame QB play, we have had a major drought of even good QB play in Minnesota. So yes i'm somewhat encouraged with Bradford given with the terrible O line play he has had.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:30 am
All Pro Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
720pete wrote:

I mean, he is pretty old now...

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:56 am
Defensive Tackle

IrishViking wrote:
720pete wrote:

I mean, he is pretty old now...

Now that deserves a "touché"! :lol:

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:25 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

720pete wrote:

Sorry, Joe is 60. No thank you.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:32 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

J. Kapp 11 wrote:

My feeling is that with his arm and accuracy, coupled with our receiving talent, Bradford needs two things to excel.

No. 2 is easy. Keep Shurmur. The first one might take a miracle, given where we're starting from.

The money post right here folks....easy decision to keep Shurmur but I'm sure I will get flamed by many for my opinion. Same thought process......I'm with ya Kapp :appl:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:14 pm
Defensive Tackle

autobon7 wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

No. 2 is easy. Keep Shurmur. The first one might take a miracle, given where we're starting from.

The money post right here folks....easy decision to keep Shurmur but I'm sure I will get flamed by many for my opinion. Same thought process......I'm with ya Kapp :appl:

I'm not going to flame you but to me the decision to keep Shurmur is too easy. I understand Kapp's point about the benefits of continuity for Bradford but Shurmur's track record leaves a LOT to be desired. As a playcaller and/or head coach, his offenses have finished with rankings of 29, 26, 29 , 25 and 30 (the last one represents this year, so it's not quite finished yet). Those are yardage rankings. In points rankings, his offenses have finished 32, 26, 30, 24 and this year's offense is currently 26th.

In other words, when not the OC for Chip Kelly (who installed his own system and called the plays in Philadelphia), Shurmur's never coached an offense that finished with a ranking higher than 24th out of 32. In Philly, he was in the kind of role current Vikings defensive coordinator George Edwards currently has under Mike Zimmer. That's not insignificant but I don't think we can consider it representative of what Shurmur himself brings to an offense when he's put in charge.

I really hope the Vikings look elsewhere for a new OC.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:51 pm
Career Elite Player

Mothman wrote:
autobon7 wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

I'm not going to flame you but to me the decision to keep Shurmur is too easy. I understand Kapp's point about the benefits of continuity for Bradford but Shurmur's track record leaves a LOT to be desired. As a playcaller and/or head coach, his offenses have finished with rankings of 29, 26, 29 , 25 and 30 (the last one represents this year, so it's not quite finished yet). Those are yardage rankings. In points rankings, his offenses have finished 32, 26, 30, 24 and this year's offense is currently 26th.

In other words, when not the OC for Chip Kelly (who installed his own system and called the plays in Philadelphia), Shurmur's never coached an offense that finished with a ranking higher than 24th out of 32. In Philly, he was in the kind of role current Vikings defensive coordinator George Edwards currently has under Mike Zimmer. That's not insignificant but I don't think we can consider it representative of what Shurmur himself brings to an offense when he's put in charge.

Wow. Those numbers are NOT encouraging. I think you might be changing my opinion on this one.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:12 pm
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
autobon7 wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

Totally understand your sentiments. I admit to having no overall seasonal statistical evidence to support Shurmur. I just have my eyes and my opinion.

It really has to do with the passing game. Wth this line, I'm actually amazed at what they've managed to accomplish through the air. It's almost gone unnoticed, but with 373 yards Sunday against the Bears, Sam Bradford would surpass 4,000 for the season -- and he didn't even play the first game. We've only had ONE 3,000-yard passer in the past SEVEN years. Also, Adam Thielen and Cordarrelle Patterson have flourished under Shurmur, and Kyle Rudolph is quietly having a very good season. Four players are likely to exceed Stefon Diggs' team-leading 52 receptions from 2015, and we have a shot at having two 1,000-yard receivers -- first time since Moss-Carter. Finally, while the offense under Shurmur was dink-and-dunk in the beginning, they've taken a number of successful shots downfield the past few weeks (mostly to Adam Thielen). I'd like to see what Sam and Co. can do with an off-season of continuity (and hopefully some better talent on the O-line).

Of course, the other factor is that we have had 14 players on IR this season. Our offensive line, not particularly stellar to begin with, has been held together with duct tape and baling wire. Yet I've seen this team move the ball very well at times. Obviously we stink in the red zone. We have no running game, which cannot be blamed on Shurmur, so it takes away the balance we need, especially in the red zone.

That being said, I certainly would understand if they went a different direction. I just see something in the passing game that I like.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:26 pm
Hall of Famer

Right now I would feel better know Shurmur would be OC, then i ever felt about Norv. I at least hope he gets a good hard look.

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:31 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Right now I would feel better know Shurmur would be OC, then i ever felt about Norv. I at least hope he gets a good hard look.

Agreed. Also, Mike McCoy was fired by SD today and I'm guessing Whisenhunt will go too. Both of these guys would be solid OC's to bring in. McCoy is one of the better offensive minds in the NFL

Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:20 am
Veteran

PurpleKoolaid wrote:

Agreed. Also, Mike McCoy was fired by SD today and I'm guessing Whisenhunt will go too. Both of these guys would be solid OC's to bring in. McCoy is one of the better offensive minds in the NFL

Both good points, I would love Whisenhunt as OC too.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:57 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Totally understand your sentiments. I admit to having no overall seasonal statistical evidence to support Shurmur. I just have my eyes and my opinion.

It really has to do with the passing game. Wth this line, I'm actually amazed at what they've managed to accomplish through the air. It's almost gone unnoticed, but with 373 yards Sunday against the Bears, Sam Bradford would surpass 4,000 for the season -- and he didn't even play the first game. We've only had ONE 3,000-yard passer in the past SEVEN years. Also, Adam Thielen and Cordarrelle Patterson have flourished under Shurmur, and Kyle Rudolph is quietly having a very good season. Four players are likely to exceed Stefon Diggs' team-leading 52 receptions from 2015, and we have a shot at having two 1,000-yard receivers -- first time since Moss-Carter. Finally, while the offense under Shurmur was dink-and-dunk in the beginning, they've taken a number of successful shots downfield the past few weeks (mostly to Adam Thielen). I'd like to see what Sam and Co. can do with an off-season of continuity (and hopefully some better talent on the O-line).

Of course, the other factor is that we have had 14 players on IR this season. Our offensive line, not particularly stellar to begin with, has been held together with duct tape and baling wire. Yet I've seen this team move the ball very well at times. Obviously we stink in the red zone. We have no running game, which cannot be blamed on Shurmur, so it takes away the balance we need, especially in the red zone.

That being said, I certainly would understand if they went a different direction. I just see something in the passing game that I like.

While reading your post it hit me why we stunk against INDY: after refashioning our offense to suit our personnel, accentuating our strengths and covering up our weaknesses, AD's presence forced Shurmur to attempt to revert to a previous iteration of our offense. AD does not fit with our Bradford-Shurmur offense.

It's time to move on from AD and commit to Bradford. I'm fine with Shurmur, but wouldn't mind a change if it's a good match and provides us with a strong offensive vision. Someone as confident and clear about what he wants to implement as Zimmer is on D.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:15 am
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
While reading your post it hit me why we stunk against INDY: after refashioning our offense to suit our personnel, accentuating our strengths and covering up our weaknesses, AD's presence forced Shurmur to attempt to revert to a previous iteration of our offense.

I just don't think that's true, although I keep seeing that interpretation. Peterson touched the ball 7 times in that game, once on a pass and rarely on back-to-back plays. How on earth can that be interpreted as a return to a previous iteration of the offense (which, I assume, is meant to mean a predictable, "run first" attack)?

I think Peterson gets made a scapegoat for issues elsewhere on the team.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:41 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
While reading your post it hit me why we stunk against INDY: after refashioning our offense to suit our personnel, accentuating our strengths and covering up our weaknesses, AD's presence forced Shurmur to attempt to revert to a previous iteration of our offense.

I just don't think that's true, although I keep seeing that interpretation. Peterson touched the ball 7 times in that game, once on a pass and rarely on back-to-back plays. How on earth can that be interpreted as a return to a previous iteration of the offense (which, I assume, is meant to mean a predictable, "run first" attack)?

I agree, Jim.

Also, Mike McCoy would be an AWESOME hire for our OC.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:43 am
Profile YIM WWW
Defensive Tackle

PurpleMustReign wrote:
I agree, Jim.

Also, Mike McCoy would be an AWESOME hire for our OC.

They should definitely interview him for the job, if he's interested.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:51 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

Did you watch the game, Jim? I mean that literally, not in a snarky way. I did watch it and to my eyes it looked like his presence made Bradford and Shurmur uncertain about what we were trying to do.

Before we got down by 17 points we looked like the offense of old. Once we got in a hole, we had to try to revert back to more of a pass heavy attack, which is why your numbers stand out, but here's our first few drives:

Quote:
1st and 10 at MIN 25
(9:01 - 1st) A.Peterson up the middle to MIN 27 for 2 yards (A.Morrison).
2nd and 8 at MIN 27
(8:34 - 1st) (Shotgun) S.Bradford pass short right to A.Peterson to MIN 28 for 1 yard (D.Butler).
3rd and 7 at MIN 28
(8:06 - 1st) (Shotgun) S.Bradford pass short left to K.Rudolph to MIN 30 for 2 yards (T.Green).
4th and 5 at MIN 30
(7:34 - 1st) (Punt formation) J.Locke punts 52 yards to IND 18, Center-K.McDermott. C.Rogers to IND 48 for 30 yards (J.Locke).

Quote:
1st and 10 at MIN 25
(2:22 - 1st) S.Bradford pass short right to C.Johnson to MIN 42 for 17 yards (R.Melvin).
1st and 10 at MIN 42
(1:51 - 1st) A.Peterson up the middle to MIN 43 for 1 yard (A.Morrison).
2nd and 9 at MIN 43
(1:09 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.McKinnon right end pushed ob at MIN 44 for 1 yard (A.Ayers).
3rd and 8 at MIN 44
(0:44 - 1st) (Shotgun) PENALTY on MIN-S.Diggs, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at MIN 44 - No Play.
3rd and 13 at MIN 39
(0:27 - 1st) (Shotgun) S.Bradford pass incomplete deep right to A.Thielen.
4th and 13 at MIN 39
(0:22 - 1st) (Punt formation) J.Locke punts 44 yards to IND 17, Center-K.McDermott, downed by MIN-J.Kearse.

Quote:
1st and 10 at MIN 38
(14:07 - 2nd) (Shotgun) S.Bradford pass short right to K.Rudolph to MIN 42 for 4 yards (R.Melvin).
2nd and 6 at MIN 42
(13:44 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) A.Peterson up the middle to MIN 42 for no gain (T.Green; Z.Kerr).
3rd and 6 at MIN 42
(13:08 - 2nd) (Shotgun) S.Bradford pass incomplete short left to S.Diggs.
4th and 6 at MIN 42
(13:04 - 2nd) (Punt formation) J.Locke punts 50 yards to IND 8, Center-K.McDermott, fair catch by C.Rogers.

On the next series, AD finally runs for more than a few yards, but he fumbles and kills any chance we have of getting back into the game.

All of this doesn't look familiar? If not, we just see things differently, which is fine. :lol:

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:00 am
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
Did you watch the game, Jim? I mean that literally, not in a snarky way. I did watch it and to my eyes it looked like his presence made Bradford and Shurmur uncertain about what we were trying to do.

I watched and it I didn't come away with that interpretation at all.

Quote:
Before we got down by 17 points we looked like the offense of old. Once we got in a hole, we had to try to revert back to more of a pass heavy attack, which is why your numbers stand out, but here's our first few drives:

If you substitute the name Asiata or McKinnon for Peterson on those drives they look a lot like many, many other drives since Shurmur took over. It's not as if you just posted a list of 3 drives featuring Adrian Peterson runs up the middle on first and second down followed by third and long situations.

Quote:
All of this doesn't look familiar? If not, we just see things differently, which is fine. :lol:

We just see them differently. :)

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:11 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:

We just see them differently. :)

That's fine. But just to give you your own sauce: I can't imagine HOW ON EARTH you don't see how we change as an offense when AD is in the backfield. It's so evident to me. And I don't think I'm making him a scapegoat at all. Just calling it like I see it.

Do you think it's just a coincidence that our O looked lost the game that he came back?

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:18 pm
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
That's fine. But just to give you your own sauce: I can't imagine HOW ON EARTH you don't see how we change as an offense when AD is in the backfield. It's so evident to me. And I don't think I'm making him a scapegoat at all. Just calling it like I see it.

Do you think it's just a coincidence that our O looked lost the game that he came back?

They looked lost a lot this season, with or without him in the lineup so I don't attribute that to him.

I think the offense changes at times when he's in (in the sense that they sometimes use different formations) but I don't think he was the problem against the Colts (aside from the fumble).

Honestly, I think at this point there's a LOT of fan baggage associated with Peterson and I think it impacts how people perceive the game. It feels to me like it's reached the point where people get worked up about the Vikings running him at all if not's immediately and unequivocally successful. The reaction to running Peterson 3 or 4 times on 3 unsuccessful series seems much different than the fan response when the Vikings do the same thing with other backs.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:37 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

They looked lost a lot this season, with or without him in the lineup so I don't attribute that to him.

I think the offense changes at times when he's in (in the sense that they sometimes use different formations) but I don't think he was the problem against the Colts (aside from the fumble).

Honestly, I think at this point there's a LOT of fan baggage associated with Peterson and I think it impacts how people perceive the game. It feels to me like it's reached the point where people get worked up about the Vikings running him at all if not's immediately and unequivocally successful. The reaction to running Peterson 3 or 4 times on 3 unsuccessful series seems much different than the fan response when the Vikings do the same thing with other backs.

Sure, that's what happens when you earn the kind of money he does: it gives rise to expectations.

It seems to me that lots of posters in favor of keeping AD have a hard time facing the current reality: he isn't what he used to be and he limits our offensive scheme. Bradford's a statue and our OL sucks, we need a back that can pick up the blitz and isn't just a 2 down back who might break a long run or, just as likely, will fumble. He is not a good fit for the new Vikings offense, which, judging by Zimmer's recent comments (see below) is going to be centered on Sam Bradford.

Quote:
Zimmer called Bradford “remarkable,” adding he’s done enough to earn the long-term job.

“He’s earned the right to be the starting quarterback,” Zimmer said Tuesday during his season-ending press conference.

http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer- ... 409549435/

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:49 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

What about the offense in Green Bay? Or in Washington? Or against Dallas? The offense looked terrible in those games and AD didn't even dress for those games.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
Sure, that's what happens when you earn the kind of money he does: it gives rise to expectations.

That's true.

Quote:
It seems to me that lots of posters in favor of keeping AD have a hard time facing the current reality: he isn't what he used to be and he limits our offensive scheme. Bradford's a statue and our OL sucks, we need a back that can pick up the blitz and isn't just a 2 down back who might break a long run or, just as likely, will fumble. He is not a good fit for the new Vikings offense, which, judging by Zimmer's recent comments (see below) is going to be centered on Sam Bradford.

As I've already said, I expect the Vikings to move on so there's probably not much point in debating whether Peterson will fit into Shurmur's offense (assuming he will even be the OC, which seems likely). I definitely understand that Peterson's not the player he was in his prime but I've said for years that he's not the one limiting the scheme. I think it's the coaching and the limitations of the passing game over the years that have done that.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:41 pm
Defensive Tackle

PurpleMustReign wrote:
What about the offense in Green Bay? Or in Washington? Or against Dallas? The offense looked terrible in those games and AD didn't even dress for those games.

Exactly. We've seen a lot of terrible offense this year and a lot of ineffective running behind a bad offensive line.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:45 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

In my opinion, you and Moth are conflating two different forms of incompetence, but I don't care enough about the issue to go on. The smart, non-sentimental move for the Vikings to make is to cut AD, draft a young guy that can replace Asiata in this draft that is strong at the position and think about the future, not the past.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:58 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Quote:
Zimmer called Bradford “remarkable,” adding he’s done enough to earn the long-term job.

“He’s earned the right to be the starting quarterback,” Zimmer said Tuesday during his season-ending press conference.

http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer- ... 409549435/[/quote]

I think this statement is indicative of 2 things: 1. The vikings have no idea how teddy Bridgewater is going to recover, particularly from his dislocated knee and 2. They remember the reaction from Bradford when the Eagles drafted Wentz and the negative response associated with it. Bradford is a good QB. He's not going to be able to carry a bad team and he's not going to be the reason they lose. With Bradfords injury history they would be wise to continue to develop Bridgewater or draft another QB and develop them. One thing about Bridgewater is we have no idea how he would do in Shurmurs system. Although Bradfords stats look good, he was only 7-8 this year and for his career he is 32 and 45.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next