Zimmer: Vikings QB Sam Bradford having ‘amazing’ season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37384
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Zimmer: Vikings QB Sam Bradford having ‘amazing’ season

Post by Mothman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:23 am

Texas Vike wrote:In my opinion, you and Moth are conflating two different forms of incompetence, but I don't care enough about the issue to go on. The smart, non-sentimental move for the Vikings to make is to cut AD, draft a young guy that can replace Asiata in this draft that is strong at the position and think about the future, not the past.
I agree that they need to draft a good young back and I agree that the non-sentimental move is to cut Peterson. Whether that's the smart move or not is debatable. I think it depends on what role, and what sort of contract, he's willing to accept and it also depends on what kind of offense they intend to run. I don't think moving toward the future of the position necessarily requires dumping Peterson. If anything, replacing Asiata, as you suggested, and keeping Peterson at an affordable price makes more sense to me.

They can cut the cord or pass the baton. :) Either approach could work out just fine IF they have a good plan.
0 x

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Zimmer: Vikings QB Sam Bradford having ‘amazing’ season

Post by Texas Vike » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Mothman wrote: I agree that they need to draft a good young back and I agree that the non-sentimental move is to cut Peterson. Whether that's the smart move or not is debatable. I think it depends on what role, and what sort of contract, he's willing to accept and it also depends on what kind of offense they intend to run. I don't think moving toward the future of the position necessarily requires dumping Peterson. If anything, replacing Asiata, as you suggested, and keeping Peterson at an affordable price makes more sense to me.

They can cut the cord or pass the baton. :) Either approach could work out just fine IF they have a good plan.
I guess where our opinions differ, then, is in our estimation of AD's ego. I cannot imagine him taking enough of a pay cut to remain a Viking. It would have to be very incentive laden for me, with a base salary about average for the league. Even that might be too much since I don't think he'll be the main RB. He'd also have to be willing to share carries with McKinnon and the young buck. I just don't see that he adds much to our offense going forward.

Having said all that, it will be a sad day when he is no longer a Viking. :v):
0 x

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37384
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Zimmer: Vikings QB Sam Bradford having ‘amazing’ season

Post by Mothman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Texas Vike wrote:I guess where our opinions differ, then, is in our estimation of AD's ego. I cannot imagine him taking enough of a pay cut to remain a Viking
i think it's partly that we differ in our estimation of his ego and I can't speak for you on this but I honestly have no idea of how much, if anything, the Vikes might be willing to offer him. If they offer what you described below, I doubt he'd accept it.
It would have to be very incentive laden for me, with a base salary about average for the league. Even that might be too much since I don't think he'll be the main RB. He'd also have to be willing to share carries with McKinnon and the young buck. I just don't see that he adds much to our offense going forward.
I think he could add a lot, After all, the Vikes were the worst rushing team in the league this year.
Having said all that, it will be a sad day when he is no longer a Viking. :v):
On that we agree!
0 x

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3604
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Zimmer: Vikings QB Sam Bradford having ‘amazing’ season

Post by Texas Vike » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:27 pm

Mothman wrote:
I think he could add a lot, After all, the Vikes were the worst rushing team in the league this year.

But we were no better when he was in. That's my concern.

Anyways, I just realized that I'm really messing up the board these days--not staying on task. Here we are debating AD in a thread on Bradford. Oops. :lol:

What's funny is that you want the Vikes to keep AD, but you think the Vikes will let him walk. I, on the other hand, want us to move on, but I would bet money that we overpay him to keep him around.
0 x

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37384
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Zimmer: Vikings QB Sam Bradford having ‘amazing’ season

Post by Mothman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:35 pm

Texas Vike wrote:But we were no better when he was in. That's my concern.

Anyways, I just realized that I'm really messing up the board these days--not staying on task. Here we are debating AD in a thread on Bradford. Oops. :lol:
:lol: Troublemaker.
What's funny is that you want the Vikes to keep AD, but you think the Vikes will let him walk. I, on the other hand, want us to move on, but I would bet money that we overpay him to keep him around.
If that doesn't illustrate how being a fan of this team can mess with your head, I don't know what does...
0 x

Post Reply