PHP's "Early Bird Gets the Worm" Mock Offseason

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: PHP's "Early Bird Gets the Worm" Mock Offseason

Post by S197 »

As it stands are the Vikings picks a 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th? I'm a little fuzzy on the Miami trade.

I'm just going to come out and say I suck at evaluating offensive linemen. I thought David Yankey was going to be great. So I doubt I'll do a mock but needless to say the Vikings will draft o-line with at least 2 or 3 picks. If there are any top prospects from UCLA or Notre Dame then I go with them because Spielman is like a month to flame for shiny gold helmets.

At other positions, I really like Donnel Pumphrey from San Diego St. He will fall because of his size but the guy is a hell of a runner. I think he'll get a 3rd/4th round grade which is great value. Sproles 2.0. I also really like D'onta Foreman over the Fournette's of the world and he won't go that high but probably too high for the Vikings. If he's around in the 3rd though, I pull the trigger.

If we can't get the ball down the field then I want a guy who can break tackles and get YAC. Cooper Kupp from Eastern Washington fits the bill. Thomas Sperbeck of Boise St. would be a nice late round WR pickup.

I'm on board with Gustafson at QB. What do you Gopher fans think of Leidner?

I'd grab Rigoberto Sanchez (K) from Hawaii with a 7th/UDFA. Great accuracy, work ethic, and a homer pick.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Like everyone here, I definitely appreciate the time and effort you put in to doing this. Playing GM is one of the things I enjoy most about the offseason.

I think signing Ricky Wagner would be awesome. The Vikings should have more cap space than the Ravens and he would instantly make the right side of the line better. I think if we can't get him we go after a LG like Ronald Leary and move Boone back to RG where he played early on in his career or Larry Watford and let Sirles play RT. I would almost prefer to replace Fusco than Sirles, but we should be looking at both tackles and guards in the draft and free agency.

From all the projections I see, it doesn't look like Ramcyzk is going to fall to the Vikings. He almost seems like a lock for the first round. We'll probably be more likely to get someone like Roderick Johnson out of Florida State. He'll get a good test this bowl season against Michigan. Either him or a Dion Dawkins out of temple.
I do think you re-sign Khalil, for depth and competition. We can't expect a rookie LT to come in and be the answers to the O-Line.

I'm not sure why Munnerlyn would only settle for a 1 year deal from the Vikings. I'm sure he could get a better deal somewhere else. If he re-signs with the Vikings, I think it's going to have to be for a multi-year deal. We would still need alexander for depth and if he ends up outplaying Munnerlyn at some point, you make him the dime back and cut him later on.

I agree you get rid of Adrian Peterson. Saving that cap space will help us get better at other positions. I say you keep Asiata as a short distance/ 3rd down back and draft someone or look at some of the RBs they have on the practice squad.

I also think the Vikings need another DT. With Sharrif Flyod all but gone, they need another DT strong at the point of attack. I like Jarron Jones out of ND in the 3rd round.

The Vikings will also need to look at LB and maybe another DE to add to the rotation if weatherly isn't up to the task. If they get rid of wright and charles johnson, they might want to look at another late round WR as well.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Does anyone know the specifics on Adam Thielen's contract?? I know he's a restricted FA but not sure what the tender is. I haven't seen this talked about much but he's rightfully going to expected a nice pay raise from his current $600k. They shouldn't break the bank on him but he's a decent starter and I'd like to see him stay in purple :v):
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Does anyone know the specifics on Adam Thielen's contract?? I know he's a restricted FA but not sure what the tender is. I haven't seen this talked about much but he's rightfully going to expected a nice pay raise from his current $600k. They shouldn't break the bank on him but he's a decent starter and I'd like to see him stay in purple :v):
It depends on what he gets tendered. If he gets tendered a 2nd round, then he's probably looking at around 3 mil.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

MrPurplenGold wrote: It depends on what he gets tendered. If he gets tendered a 2nd round, then he's probably looking at around 3 mil.
thanks!!!

Any idea when the tender gets set? Sorry, I tried googling but couldn't find it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingPaul73 wrote: thanks!!!

Any idea when the tender gets set? Sorry, I tried googling but couldn't find it.

I think it;s up to the team but I believe those qualifying offers are usually made around the same time that free agency begins (in March).
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

Nice Mock! I agree with your set of needs for the most part. I haven't looked at cap space, but with the departures, I believe they'd have the room too do a bit more in FA with the O line (1 year deal). I'd look to at another tackle (like Wentworth) as some of the later round O-linemen are more of projects than contributors, at least initially Clemmings is a perfect example of this. He doesn't' have that much football experience and belonged on the PS for a year and a backup for years to develop skills. I would also look to add a running back in FA. Not sure who will be out there, but it is a postion where it would be nice to have some quality depth or a better 1- 2 punch . With the Rookie, McKinnon and another quality FA (or Asiata if necessary). Just like to improve the position group all the way through. I would probably keep Locke as well, but its not something I would argue about one way or the other. Shutting down the run is also a Major issue with this D. They get gashed to often by average back's and average O lines. Scheme is part of it, but if Floyd isn't going o be on the field, the 3 technique is a must in the offseason. I love the way you address this in your Mock! Overall Great Job!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I liked most of what you went with a lot of OL help
and fixes..

I wouldn't resign Kalil

I don't we need another TE badly so maybe go with
another need.

but if the Vikings did most of your plan I think we would
really take another step forward.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Thanks Jim!!
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

clemmings back up to the back up? He needs to go to the practice squad and be thankful he has that
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Early prospects I am keeping an eye on: Evan Berry (Safety, Tennessee), Conor McDermott (OT, UCLA), Ethan Pocic (C/G, LSU), Justin Jackson (HB, Northwestern), James Conner (HB, Pitt), Ben Boulware (LB, Clemson), Hardy Nickerson (LB, Illinois).
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
kyvikingsfan
Waterboy

Post by kyvikingsfan »

Great read. I really hope that Spielman realizes we can be great next year, but you have to be willing to spend and make a splash in the free agency market. I can vouch for Forrest Lamp I'm a WKU alumni and have watched him all 4 years he's been at Western. He is a hell of a player. Very versatile O Line man that can play guard and tackle. Unfortunately I don't think he will last till the Fourth Round some one like the Patriots are gonna pick him up before that. Wouldn't mind us getting Western's other star either. Taywan Taylor is a hell of a possession/speed receiver he's projected in the 2nd round so I don't think we will grab any offensive players other than lineman that early, but it would be cool to have both of them on the team. Two fantastic players.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Totally Awesome Post !!!

Okay, after today, I look at next years OL as ....
LT - Rashod Hill
LG - Boone
C - Easton
RG - Shephard
RT - Beavers

Backup OL would be Berger, Fusco, Harris?
I agree 100%. I would target Ricky Wagner as my priority to be the starting RT. I think Hill and Beavers can battle to be the starting LT. I Love the idea of the Wisconsin LT, but don't think he falls any where near us, I would give up whatever it took to get that kid !!! I see us drafting a 2nd but probably 3rd rd LT. He can compete with Hill and Beavers. Whoever wins the LT position starts and we have 2 young backups at both Tackle positions.

I also target the best OG that I can and sign him. If he's a LG, move Boone. Regardless, Wagner and an OG in FA would be incredible IMO.... And then there's Mike Harris, A potential wild card that solidifies OL depth !!!

The OL would then look like...
LT - Hill / Beavers / Rookie
LG - Boone... Fusco as backup
C - Easton... Berger backup
RG - FA... Shephard as backup
RT - Wagner... Beavers backup

Your other additions are spot on... I am very much liking your offseason plan !!!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Hill had a good game but he and Beavers at LT is not the option I'd want to see for next year.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

S197 wrote:Hill had a good game but he and Beavers at LT is not the option I'd want to see for next year.
That's not ideal, but it's what we have. No guarantee Kalil is brought back, I wish Long could stay healthy, but Hill played okay today and Beavers has the athleticism to play LT.

It all depends on the release of AD... His huge contract will soon create an extension for Bradford, but we won't have a ton of $ for a FA LT. Thus our 2 fellas and a rookie.