View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 PHP's "Early Bird Gets the Worm" Mock Offseason 
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post PHP's "Early Bird Gets the Worm" Mock Offseason

I always say, I'm not saying this is what's going to happen. Will it be correct, no. I have hit on a decent number of picks over the years (Munnerlyn, Hill and Jennings in FA, Waynes, Patterson, Hodges, Harrison Smith and Floyd (at the time I had us getting Floyd in the 2nd before he shot up draft boards),) but it's next to impossible to ever get these right but I know you guys enjoy the read. I look to assess our current needs as best as I can and keeping it as realistic as possible.

I must say, I do a lot of research on these guys and if you look at my previous mocks, many of the guys I have us selecting may not be making an impact for us but they are making a big impact elsewhere. A few years ago, I had us getting Devonte Parker, Denzel Perryman, Tevin Coleman, Tre Jackson, Jamon Brown, etc. All who were either starting or making some noise as rookies. Also had us drafting Su'a Cravens and Graham Glasgow last year.

REMEMBER ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!!!

The Vikings finish 8-8 and receive the 15th pick of the 2nd round (47th overall) in the 2017 NFL draft

OFFSEASON OVERVIEW

2016 Vikings Free Agents

LT- Matt Kalil- Resigned/1 year, 2nd year option contract - (We're in a pickle with both OTs being free agents and not having a first round pick. He is the younger option, give him a prove-it deal with an option

CB- Captain Munnerlyn- Resigned/1 year deal - Still playing at a high level, loves playing for Zim, a leader on the team, I say hold onto him plus it provides more depth and doesnt force Alexander in there if he doesnt need to be

WR/KR- Cordarrelle Patterson- Resigned/3 year deal - Made huge strides this year as a WR and is a pro bowl KR. I say he's a must keep. Nobody on this team is more dangerous with the ball in his hands than this guy.

FB- Zach Line- Resigned/2 year deal - Been a fairly solid FB for us. No reason to go look for a new one

RB- Matt Asiata- Resigned/1 year deal - Not a fan of him at all as a runner but is somewhat useful in 3rd down situations.

LB- Audie Cole- Resigned/1 year deal - Depth/ST purposes

RT- Andre Smith- Let go - Not getting any younger and coming off a bad injury

LT- Jake Long- Let go - I feel for the guy. Use to be a great tackle but too many serious injuries

QB- Shaun Hill- Let go - If Teddy's rehab looks promising, no need to hold onto Hill

DE- Justin Trattou- Let go - Have his replacement in Weatherly

P- Jeff Locke- Let go - Time to bring in a new punter

LB- Chad Greenway- Retires - One of the greats but father time has gotten to him. He'll be missed

CB- Terrance Newman- Retires - He [i]could[/b] come back another year but with Waynes getting more and more reps, I feel like this is his last year.

RB- Adrian Peterson- Released - Hurts me to say this but it's time. We cant rely on him to stay healthy because if he's now, our running game is worse than anyones. Time to get a fresh start at the RB position.

WR- Jarius Wright- Traded to the Cleveland Browns for 2017 6th round pick - There is no point in paying Wright this money if he is hardly ever active. Get what you can for him

Spielman continues to go after youth and not over spend in free agency

RT- Ricky Wagner - 4 year deal

-Wagner has started 46 games and counting for the Ravens. I dont think his price will be anything overly high. He would be a good option to plug in right away at RT.

CB- Dre Kirkpatrick - 2 year deal

-Dre was drafted when Zim was in Cincy. He hasnt lived up to his first round pedigree so we could get him on the cheap. He knows this defense and could play a big depth role behind Rhodes and Waynes.

OG- Patrick Omameh- 2 year deal

-Has started 32 games over the past 3 seasons. Not your typical household name but another good depth piece to have at the guard spot. He's had quite a few good weeks over the past 3 seasons according to PFF.

OLB- Alex Okafor- 2 year deal

-Okafor is a good depth piece that can rush the passer. He will compete with Lamur for Greenways spot

Round 1 - NO PICK (Traded to Philadelphia)

-------TRADE-------

Vikings trade their 2nd round pick (47th overall), 4th round pick (via Miami) and 7 round pick to the Jacksonville Jaguars for their 2nd round pick (35th overall)

Round 2

OT - Ryan Ramczyk - Wisconsin

Ramczyk has been a stud at Wisconsin. His biggest strength is pass protection which is clearly something we could use. He shows a lot of power in the run game too. He's very athletic and would be an immediate upgrade to the OL. He will immediately compete with Kalil and if he doesnt win the job year one, he very well could by year 2.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj2K7AYm7yM

Round 3

DT - Charles Walker - Oklahoma

Walker has been on the rise lately and we could use some more depth at the DT position with Tom Johnson getting older and Floyd up in the air. The thing with Walker is that he did bail on his team to prepare for the draft and it caused a lot of media stir. He could go anywhere from round 1-4. I say he slides a bit and it could be a huge hit for us.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IczJgLdWqY

Round 3 (via Miami)

RB - Semaje Perine - Oklahoma

I always have at least one man crush every year and this is easily my #1. When I see this guy run the ball, all I can see is Maurice Jones-Drew. This guy is an absolute monster that is a true down hill runner. One of the strongest RBs I have ever seen coming out of college. He will be an immediate starter at RB.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYChH34dBuc

Round 4

OT/OG - Forrest Lamp - Western Kentucky

First of all, great name. Second, he's currently an OT in WKU but is only 6'4 and will probably play guard in the NFL. He's a hard-nosed lineman that can immediately compete with Fusco and also provides a lot of depth.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1vBFZRXa0k

-------TRADE-------

Vikings trade their 5th round pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for their 5th round pick and 7th round pick

Round 5 (via Tampa Bay)

TE - Cole Hikutini - Louisville

I wasnt big on taking a TE here but with Pruitt leaving, we need another receiving TE in case Rudy went down. Hikutini is a very good receiving TE that would provide a good depth piece.

-------TRADE-------

Vikings trade their 6th round pick (via Clevelands trade for Wright) to the Arizona Cardinals for their 6th round pick and 7th round pick and 2018 6th round pick

Round 6 (via Arizona)

CB - Brandon Facyson - Virginia Tech

Facyson is a huge corner at 6'2. You can never have too many CBs. He will provide depth and play special teams to start

Round 6

OT- Jon Heck - North Carolina

Heck has been a solid pass protector for Trubisky and provides more depth at the tackle spot. He will play RT and back up Wagner

Round 7 - NO PICK (Traded to Jacksonville)

Round 7 (via Arizona)

QB - Brady Gustafson - Montana

Gustafson is a monster (6'7). He will be a developmental guy that we can look to groom.

Round 7 (via Tampa Bay)

P - Cameron Johnston - Ohio St.

Johnston averaged 46+ yards per punt at OSU and will take Locke's place.

....Hope you guys enjoyed the read!!! :smilevike:

Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:12 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post Re: PHP's "Early Bird Gets the Worm" Mock Offseason
I did, indeed, enjoy the read, as always.

I have liked Perine for the Vikes for some time now, my only concern is that he is injury prone. He runs hungry and mean when he's healthy though. I would be satisfied with that scenario of moving up in the 2nd to address LT and most of your FA moves make sense to me. Good mock! :thumbsup:

Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:25 am
Starting Wide Receiver

I would love Perine in Purple. I thimk he will befire the 3rd round though.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Starting Wide Receiver

I also like Dre Kirkpatrick. I am hoping to keep Munnerlyn. I would rather use Asiata as a FB as i am not big on Line.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

Good work!, I see Ramczyk as more of a right tackle in the NFL, will probably need hip surgery so that may effect draft position still has a year of eligibility left .

Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:31 pm
Commissioner

I love this, PHP! Very well thought out. The way you have it the Vikings definitely upgrade their team in spots badly needing it.

Thanks also for also including your take on the free agency. I pretty much agree with you about who the Vikings will re-sign and who will hit the market. And yes, I believe Peterson will play elsewhere, sad to say. He's been a force as a RB, but he'll be gone because of his age, price, and recent injury history.

I like Ricky Wagner at RT. Better than what we have now, in my view.

Regarding the draft, I'd love to see the Vikings get Ryan Ramczyk. His overall athleticism is something the Vikes have needed on their offensive line for years.

I also like Semaje Perine a lot. I've only seen him play one full game but the guy is a beast. There are times when he seems almost impossible to tackle. He would bring stud power to the team's RB position again, though he's a different runner than Adrian Peterson. I hope Perine will still be available for the Vikings. He may go higher than projected.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:30 pm
Starter

Didn't Cleveland just draft 15 receivers? Did none of them pan out? Or why do they want Wright?

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:19 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Bigwehrm wrote:
Didn't Cleveland just draft 15 receivers? Did none of them pan out? Or why do they want Wright?

Outside of Coleman who didn't do much, none of them panned out. They drafted 5 in all. Wright would be an immediate starter for them. Pryor, Coleman and Wright would be a decent young WR corps

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:30 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Thanks for the feedback guys!!

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:37 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

I always appreciate the work you put into this.

I think it is extremely unlikely they'll part way with both Smith and Long assuming both are NFL viable in 2017. If they are serious about a championship run they have to make TJ Clemmings the backup to the backup, where he belongs.

I wonder if they are going to do something drastic at RT?

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:03 pm
Defensive Tackle

mansquatch wrote:

I think it is extremely unlikely they'll part way with both Smith and Long assuming both are NFL viable in 2017.

If they keep either one of them, I'm going to be very frustrated. They'd likely be setting themselves up for more injuries and disappointment, they need to learn from this season's mistakes, not repeat them.

Quote:
If they are serious about a championship run they have to make TJ Clemmings the backup to the backup, where he belongs.

I don't think he belongs on the roster either.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:38 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

mansquatch wrote:

I think it is extremely unlikely they'll part way with both Smith and Long assuming both are NFL viable in 2017. If they are serious about a championship run they have to make TJ Clemmings the backup to the backup, where he belongs.

I mean with my offseason, for tackles we have Kalil, Ramcyzk, Wagner, and Heck. Clemmings as just a floater even though he very well could be cut. I see no reason to keep Long or Smith. I kept Kalil who is the best of the 3 IMO, signed Wagner in FA and drafted Ramcyzk and Heck. Plus I drafted Lamp who can also play tackle

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:59 pm
Career Elite Player

mansquatch wrote:

they would both be on IR by October. PLEASE do not keep either one..

Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:28 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingPaul73 wrote:
mansquatch wrote:

they would both be on IR by October. PLEASE do not keep either one..

Yeah like I said there is no need if you keep Kalil and draft/sign right. This is all very doable IMO

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:05 pm
Career Elite Player

I am very curious to see what happens with Kalil. I agree if they can sign him for backup $$ , I'd probably do it

I wonder if he will retire if no one offers him starter $$

Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:35 am
Fenrir

As it stands are the Vikings picks a 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th? I'm a little fuzzy on the Miami trade.

I'm just going to come out and say I suck at evaluating offensive linemen. I thought David Yankey was going to be great. So I doubt I'll do a mock but needless to say the Vikings will draft o-line with at least 2 or 3 picks. If there are any top prospects from UCLA or Notre Dame then I go with them because Spielman is like a month to flame for shiny gold helmets.

At other positions, I really like Donnel Pumphrey from San Diego St. He will fall because of his size but the guy is a hell of a runner. I think he'll get a 3rd/4th round grade which is great value. Sproles 2.0. I also really like D'onta Foreman over the Fournette's of the world and he won't go that high but probably too high for the Vikings. If he's around in the 3rd though, I pull the trigger.

If we can't get the ball down the field then I want a guy who can break tackles and get YAC. Cooper Kupp from Eastern Washington fits the bill. Thomas Sperbeck of Boise St. would be a nice late round WR pickup.

I'm on board with Gustafson at QB. What do you Gopher fans think of Leidner?

I'd grab Rigoberto Sanchez (K) from Hawaii with a 7th/UDFA. Great accuracy, work ethic, and a homer pick.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:50 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Like everyone here, I definitely appreciate the time and effort you put in to doing this. Playing GM is one of the things I enjoy most about the offseason.

I think signing Ricky Wagner would be awesome. The Vikings should have more cap space than the Ravens and he would instantly make the right side of the line better. I think if we can't get him we go after a LG like Ronald Leary and move Boone back to RG where he played early on in his career or Larry Watford and let Sirles play RT. I would almost prefer to replace Fusco than Sirles, but we should be looking at both tackles and guards in the draft and free agency.

From all the projections I see, it doesn't look like Ramcyzk is going to fall to the Vikings. He almost seems like a lock for the first round. We'll probably be more likely to get someone like Roderick Johnson out of Florida State. He'll get a good test this bowl season against Michigan. Either him or a Dion Dawkins out of temple.
I do think you re-sign Khalil, for depth and competition. We can't expect a rookie LT to come in and be the answers to the O-Line.

I'm not sure why Munnerlyn would only settle for a 1 year deal from the Vikings. I'm sure he could get a better deal somewhere else. If he re-signs with the Vikings, I think it's going to have to be for a multi-year deal. We would still need alexander for depth and if he ends up outplaying Munnerlyn at some point, you make him the dime back and cut him later on.

I agree you get rid of Adrian Peterson. Saving that cap space will help us get better at other positions. I say you keep Asiata as a short distance/ 3rd down back and draft someone or look at some of the RBs they have on the practice squad.

I also think the Vikings need another DT. With Sharrif Flyod all but gone, they need another DT strong at the point of attack. I like Jarron Jones out of ND in the 3rd round.

The Vikings will also need to look at LB and maybe another DE to add to the rotation if weatherly isn't up to the task. If they get rid of wright and charles johnson, they might want to look at another late round WR as well.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:51 pm
Career Elite Player

Does anyone know the specifics on Adam Thielen's contract?? I know he's a restricted FA but not sure what the tender is. I haven't seen this talked about much but he's rightfully going to expected a nice pay raise from his current $600k. They shouldn't break the bank on him but he's a decent starter and I'd like to see him stay in purple :v):

Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:34 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

VikingPaul73 wrote:
Does anyone know the specifics on Adam Thielen's contract?? I know he's a restricted FA but not sure what the tender is. I haven't seen this talked about much but he's rightfully going to expected a nice pay raise from his current $600k. They shouldn't break the bank on him but he's a decent starter and I'd like to see him stay in purple :v):

It depends on what he gets tendered. If he gets tendered a 2nd round, then he's probably looking at around 3 mil.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:51 pm
Career Elite Player

MrPurplenGold wrote:
VikingPaul73 wrote:

It depends on what he gets tendered. If he gets tendered a 2nd round, then he's probably looking at around 3 mil.

thanks!!!

Any idea when the tender gets set? Sorry, I tried googling but couldn't find it.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:58 pm
Defensive Tackle

VikingPaul73 wrote:
MrPurplenGold wrote:
VikingPaul73 wrote:

thanks!!!

Any idea when the tender gets set? Sorry, I tried googling but couldn't find it.

I think it;s up to the team but I believe those qualifying offers are usually made around the same time that free agency begins (in March).

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:19 pm
Backup

Nice Mock! I agree with your set of needs for the most part. I haven't looked at cap space, but with the departures, I believe they'd have the room too do a bit more in FA with the O line (1 year deal). I'd look to at another tackle (like Wentworth) as some of the later round O-linemen are more of projects than contributors, at least initially Clemmings is a perfect example of this. He doesn't' have that much football experience and belonged on the PS for a year and a backup for years to develop skills. I would also look to add a running back in FA. Not sure who will be out there, but it is a postion where it would be nice to have some quality depth or a better 1- 2 punch . With the Rookie, McKinnon and another quality FA (or Asiata if necessary). Just like to improve the position group all the way through. I would probably keep Locke as well, but its not something I would argue about one way or the other. Shutting down the run is also a Major issue with this D. They get gashed to often by average back's and average O lines. Scheme is part of it, but if Floyd isn't going o be on the field, the 3 technique is a must in the offseason. I love the way you address this in your Mock! Overall Great Job!

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:26 pm
Strong Safety

I liked most of what you went with a lot of OL help
and fixes..

I wouldn't resign Kalil

I don't we need another TE badly so maybe go with
another need.

but if the Vikings did most of your plan I think we would
really take another step forward.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:43 pm
Career Elite Player

Thanks Jim!!

Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:40 am
Hall of Famer

clemmings back up to the back up? He needs to go to the practice squad and be thankful he has that

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:46 am
Hall of Famer

Early prospects I am keeping an eye on: Evan Berry (Safety, Tennessee), Conor McDermott (OT, UCLA), Ethan Pocic (C/G, LSU), Justin Jackson (HB, Northwestern), James Conner (HB, Pitt), Ben Boulware (LB, Clemson), Hardy Nickerson (LB, Illinois).

Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:01 pm
Waterboy

Great read. I really hope that Spielman realizes we can be great next year, but you have to be willing to spend and make a splash in the free agency market. I can vouch for Forrest Lamp I'm a WKU alumni and have watched him all 4 years he's been at Western. He is a hell of a player. Very versatile O Line man that can play guard and tackle. Unfortunately I don't think he will last till the Fourth Round some one like the Patriots are gonna pick him up before that. Wouldn't mind us getting Western's other star either. Taywan Taylor is a hell of a possession/speed receiver he's projected in the 2nd round so I don't think we will grab any offensive players other than lineman that early, but it would be cool to have both of them on the team. Two fantastic players.

Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:06 pm
Transition Player

Totally Awesome Post !!!

Okay, after today, I look at next years OL as ....
LT - Rashod Hill
LG - Boone
C - Easton
RG - Shephard
RT - Beavers

Backup OL would be Berger, Fusco, Harris?
I agree 100%. I would target Ricky Wagner as my priority to be the starting RT. I think Hill and Beavers can battle to be the starting LT. I Love the idea of the Wisconsin LT, but don't think he falls any where near us, I would give up whatever it took to get that kid !!! I see us drafting a 2nd but probably 3rd rd LT. He can compete with Hill and Beavers. Whoever wins the LT position starts and we have 2 young backups at both Tackle positions.

I also target the best OG that I can and sign him. If he's a LG, move Boone. Regardless, Wagner and an OG in FA would be incredible IMO.... And then there's Mike Harris, A potential wild card that solidifies OL depth !!!

The OL would then look like...
LT - Hill / Beavers / Rookie
LG - Boone... Fusco as backup
C - Easton... Berger backup
RG - FA... Shephard as backup
RT - Wagner... Beavers backup

Your other additions are spot on... I am very much liking your offseason plan !!!

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:34 pm
Fenrir

Hill had a good game but he and Beavers at LT is not the option I'd want to see for next year.

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:39 pm
Transition Player

S197 wrote:
Hill had a good game but he and Beavers at LT is not the option I'd want to see for next year.

That's not ideal, but it's what we have. No guarantee Kalil is brought back, I wish Long could stay healthy, but Hill played okay today and Beavers has the athleticism to play LT.

It all depends on the release of AD... His huge contract will soon create an extension for Bradford, but we won't have a ton of $ for a FA LT. Thus our 2 fellas and a rookie.

Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next