Vikings' defensive discord raises concerning questions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikings' defensive discord raises concerning questions

Post by Mothman »

From ESPN's Ben Goessling:

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-viki ... -questions
Players whom Zimmer has developed, who would be seen as some of the coach's star pupils, suddenly decided not to follow a game plan -- and apparently not to tell Zimmer, defensive coordinator George Edwards nor defensive backs coach Jerry Gray about it. Did they lose faith in the scheme after a 34-6 loss to the Colts last Sunday? Did they think their ideas wouldn't be heard if they approached coaches with them? Did Zimmer decide to let the plan play out in the first half, or was he trying to stop it?

Those questions remain open, and Zimmer's ability to discipline players next Sunday against the Chicago Bears would be hampered somewhat by the lack of other options in his secondary. But Saturday's developments, at the end of a season that began with Super Bowl aspirations and will end with a meaningless Week 17 game, suggest there's more at play in the Vikings' demise than just injuries and some bad luck.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings' defensive discord raises concerning questions

Post by Mothman »

More on this subject from Matt Coller of 1500ESPN.com:

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2016/ ... -gameplan/
Zimmer admitted in his post-game comments that his defensive backs plotted against him to change how they matched up with Green Bay Packers receiver Jordy Nelson. Those disagreements rarely see public air. There is no explanation for why a coach would allow the world to know he’s lost control.

There may, however, be an explanation for why they players decided to go against him.

In the locker room, there was a great deal of frustration last week over the fact that the Vikings’ defense got badly out-schemed by the Indianapolis Colts. Zimmer elected to play Munnerlyn, a solid nickel corner, only 32 plays. Indy used their three tight end sets to bait the Vikings into playing their base package, then they passed out of those sets. Andrew Luck completed three passes for 50 yards and a touchdown to speedy third-string tight end Erik Swoope, a former basketball player who runs a 4.6 40-yard dash.

It is also plausible to think the Vikings players may have been unhappy with Zimmer’s messages through the media throughout the season.
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

Mothman wrote:More on this subject from Matt Collier of 1500ESPN.com:

Zimmer's act of throwing players and coordinators under the bus is getting old. I think the veteran players have finally had enough of it. The guy just doesn't take charge in the locker room and lets the players walk over him on the field. Turns out the guy is nothing more than another Tice/Frazier.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

joe h wrote:
The guy just doesn't take charge in the locker room and lets the players walk over him on the field. Turns out the guy is nothing more than another Tice/Frazier.
Yup totally man. 2 bad games now he's the next Leslie Frazier. Frazier was a pathetic HC. But yeah you can totally tell after 2 games. Funny you weren't saying that last year after the GB and Seattle losses. Weird.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Zimmer just yet

But the collapse of this defense this year is alarming, and this article certainly doesn't make me feel better.

A few weeks ago I wrote on this board that the team might be quitting on Zim. I didn't have any evidence just a feeling after watching them play

Now it looks like there is some evidence. I hope Zim is able to nip this in the bud because if not next year could be a Les Steckelesque debacle
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Yup totally man. 2 bad games now he's the next Leslie Frazier. Frazier was a pathetic HC. But yeah you can totally tell after 2 games. Funny you weren't saying that last year after the GB and Seattle losses. Weird.
Regardless of what was said last year or how people feel about Frazier, Tice and other previous coaches, the current Vikings and their current coach have serious problems. This season has gone off the rails. Starting DBs who have played for Zimmer for years chose to disregard his coaching. His long-time friend and OC Norv Turner left mid-season. The team has been blown out two weeks in a row and they've followed up a 5-0 start with a 2-8 record. To put that in perspective, that's one game better than the Browns and 49ers over the same number of games. It's the same record next week's opponent, the 3-13 Bears have over the same period of time and it includes a loss to those Bears.

Players do get tired of being called out in the press. That could be a factor in what's been happening. If you read Matt Coller's article above, it certainly sounds like at least some members of the team are losing confidence in the coaching.

Personally, I think there's definitely more to the Vikings' demise than just injuries and some bad luck.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingPaul73 wrote:I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Zimmer just yet

But the collapse of this defense this year is alarming, and this article certainly doesn't make me feel better.

A few weeks ago I wrote on this board that the team might be quitting on Zim. I didn't have any evidence just a feeling after watching them play

Now it looks like there is some evidence. I hope Zim is able to nip this in the bud because if not next year could be a Les Steckelesque debacle
Indeed. It could get really ugly.

It will be interesting to see how the Vikes perform next week.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

You don't go 5-0 before the bye, then after the bye play the rest of the season like the Browns.
2 games after the bye Norv was gone. A lot more going on in the locker room between players and coaches than we know about,or they are letting on.
I think some big changes coming black Monday. "Think Zimmer is safe"
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Mothman wrote:
Indeed. It could get really ugly.

It will be interesting to see how the Vikes perform next week.
I'm interested to see who's in the starting lineup next week.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote:More on this subject from Matt Coller of 1500ESPN.com:

I've been solidly behind Zimmer since his hiring. But this is truly troubling.

Just another reason why 2016 has been the most disappointing season in all my years of following the Vikings.

Here's the kicker for me, though. Let's say it's true, and Zimmer DID get out-schemed by the Colts. What right does that give the players to commit such mutiny? It's inconceivable that veteran players would do this, especially when you consider that the Vikings have played good defense for most of the year, and for all but the past two games have been among the very best at defending against the pass. And why would Xavier Rhodes, who thrives on going against the other team's best, agree to go along with a scheme that allows somebody else to cover Nelson?

If this alleged mutiny is true, something has to change. Somebody has got to step in and solve this, or it's going to get ugly. And as usual, we fans will get the short end of the stick.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: If this alleged mutiny is true, something has to change. Somebody has got to step in and solve this, or it's going to get ugly. And as usual, we fans will get the short end of the stick.
Short end of the stick?

Stick? What stick?
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I've been solidly behind Zimmer since his hiring. But this is truly troubling.

Just another reason why 2016 has been the most disappointing season in all my years of following the Vikings.

Here's the kicker for me, though. Let's say it's true, and Zimmer DID get out-schemed by the Colts. What right does that give the players to commit such mutiny?

It's inconceivable that veteran players would do this, especially when you consider that the Vikings have played good defense for most of the year, and for all but the past two games have been among the very best at defending against the pass. And why would Xavier Rhodes, who thrives on going against the other team's best, agree to go along with a scheme that allows somebody else to cover Nelson?

If this alleged mutiny is true, something has to change. Somebody has got to step in and solve this, or it's going to get ugly. And as usual, we fans will get the short end of the stick.
It seems to be true. It's coming from Zimmer and Rhodes.

I see no excuse for what the players did. :(
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Zimmer will be here next season. I guarantee that. I do, however, think he will have to adjust his game planning and more importantly his attitude toward the players. I keep bringing up Bellicheck, but you never hear him call out one of his players. Never. I was worried when Zimmer would do that and i now wonder if the players are rebelling against it. The other problem is why on earth did it take one half of football before he made the DBs play what they practiced?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Zimmer will be here next season. I guarantee that. I do, however, think he will have to adjust his game planning and more importantly his attitude toward the players. I keep bringing up Bellicheck, but you never hear him call out one of his players. Never. I was worried when Zimmer would do that and i now wonder if the players are rebelling against it. The other problem is why on earth did it take one half of football before he made the DBs play what they practiced?
I'm trying to figure that out too. why wouldn't he (or Edwards) make that adjustment as soon as he realized they weren't playing the coverage the way he wanted it played?
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

halfgiz you raise interesting points. the odd part for me is that as i was watching that eagles game i said to myself "this team is done." i could feel it. i'm not sure why or why not turner left, but he did a horrible job as the vikings offensive coordinator. it probably happened similar to zimmer basically saying that our offense sucks we need to score more points and turner took it the wrong way. either way, how has the offense changed under shurmer? it hasn't. it is the same horrid offense that actually dates back two years ago. until this team can field an actual nfl caliber offense forget about the defense. its irrelevant.