Vikings' defensive discord raises concerning questions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings' defensive discord raises concerning questions

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Yeah really. The defending super bowl champions and their elite defense are about to get knocked out of playoff contention. I mean we have a few bad games and guys are calling for Zims head, saying he's losing the locker room, saying players don't respect him, saying he doesn't respect the players, etc, etc. So why can't we say that about the Denver Broncos right? Because that's how some of you really sound.

l:
It is not even the same comparison. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

For someone who is sick of the narrative around here, why are you trying to instigate things further?
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: It is not even the same comparison. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

For someone who is sick of the narrative around here, why are you trying to instigate things further?
Not sure why that can't be a similar comparison. The team flopped worse than we did, lost less than we did and there isn't a soul calling for Kubiaks head. And the original post was to make some realize how ridiculous some of this actually sounds.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Peter Principle
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Not sure why that can't be a similar comparison. The team flopped worse than we did, lost less than we did and there isn't a soul calling for Kubiaks head. And the original post was to make some realize how ridiculous some of this actually sounds.
How can you say the team flopped worse than we did? They still have a better record than we do.

PHP - I realize you have a right to your opinion, but you seem to have an issue with anyone who has an opinion that doesn't fall in line with yours. You seem to go into attack mode when someone disagrees with you, resorting to calling some of us ignorant, criticizing anyone who thinks we have a problem with the defense and/or Zimmer, etc. Please try and respect other people's opinions, because that is all they are and for the most part you aren't going to change people's opinions. I'm probably overstepping my bounds as this should be a moderator's job, but thought it needed attention.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Trade this Franchise for another Hockey team.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Purple Reign wrote:
How can you say the team flopped worse than we did? They still have a better record than we do.

PHP - I realize you have a right to your opinion, but you seem to have an issue with anyone who has an opinion that doesn't fall in line with yours. You seem to go into attack mode when someone disagrees with you, resorting to calling some of us ignorant, criticizing anyone who thinks we have a problem with the defense and/or Zimmer, etc. Please try and respect other people's opinions, because that is all they are and for the most part you aren't going to change people's opinions. I'm probably overstepping my bounds as this should be a moderator's job, but thought it needed attention.
Well let's see, they did win the super bowl last year and failed to make the playoffs. A lot worse than what we did. And they have what? One more win than we do?

As for the bottom post, I'm pretty sure I've been called arrogant and so on on here the past few days. So please refrain from trying to call me out personally because there has been a fair share that have came after me.

Also, an opinion is an opinion. Am I suppose to sit there and agree with an opinion that is the complete opposite of mine?? Of course not, that's why I sit here and defend it. It's a big part of a message board.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Ohjay wrote:Rumblings on twitter says that Rhodes was not the instigator of the DBs "rebellion", and my guess is that one of the older guys, i.e. Newman or Munnerlyn created this mess.
If you can call it a mess... because the same rumblings on twitter says the "rebellion" was for one series only, then Rhodes were back to covering Nelson.
Highly doubt that - Nelson caught many passes during the first half where Rhodes wasn't even in the same zip code as Nelson - and all of those passes weren't on just one series. But yes, either way it a huge concern.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple Reign wrote: Petersen and his 'switch' incident? A few people didn't know what a switch was and called it a stick.
Is there a light bulb emoji?

Wow am I dense. YES ... that makes sense!

Guess it goes to show how much I worry about Adrian Peterson these days.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple Reign wrote: Zimmer also called Barr out saying he has a tendency to coast. I don't care how you sugar coat it, when a coach specifically calls out players in the press like that they feel that they are being humiliated. It's just a human reaction dude.
As everybody knows, I love Zimmer. But I have to agree ... that was wrong.

Yes, players are kind of soft these days. They ought to be able to take a little criticism. But he seemed to call out Barr's motivation, his passion, his heart. That's a different animal than when he said Anthony Harris "let a guy cross his face" during his presser following the win over the Jags. Nothing wrong with a coach questioning a man's desire, but something like that should be said to the man, not the media.

Here's my take on this ...

I think Zimmer has the sense to know not to call out a man's heart in the press. Where I think he's not very good is dealing with the media. He gets up there in front of the cameras, and it's obvious he doesn't want to be there. It's the part of the job description that he seems to detest. I think the reporters press him and press him, and he finally gives them something. But because he's blunt and honest, he gives them something he probably shouldn't. That's all speculation, but it's pretty obvious he doesn't like doing pressers.

Of course, Mike Zimmer is not paid to mollify the media. He's paid to win games. But in a way, they're interconnected. If he pisses off his guys with the things he says in the media, it hurts his chances of winning. Somebody needs to get Zimmer to understand that doing a good job of dealing with the media is actually in his own best interest.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Not sure why that can't be a similar comparison. The team flopped worse than we did, lost less than we did and there isn't a soul calling for Kubiaks head. And the original post was to make some realize how ridiculous some of this actually sounds.
First off, stop complaining about injuries because 25 out of 32 fanbases all think they were ravaged by injury worse then anyone in the league.

Second, no they didnt flop worse, but if they did, Kubiak has a longer leash because he won a SB.
Last edited by Jordysghost on Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: As for the bottom post, I'm pretty sure I've been called arrogant and so on on here the past few days. So please refrain from trying to call me out personally because there has been a fair share that have came after me.

Also, an opinion is an opinion. Am I suppose to sit there and agree with an opinion that is the complete opposite of mine?? Of course not, that's why I sit here and defend it. It's a big part of a message board.
I didn't say you had to agree with an opinion that is different than yours, you just seem to take it more personal and go into attack mode. Maybe there have been a fair share that came after you because you more than likely instigated it. I'm just trying to offer some friendly advice and not be quite so aggressive is all.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote:
First off, stop complaining about injuries because 25 out of 32 fanbases all think they were ravaged by injury worse then anyone in the league.

Second, no they didnt flop worse, but if they did, Kubiak has a longer leash because he won a SB.
Even the media, analysts, etc say that this was near impossible to overcome. These guys were out for the season. Not out for a few games. So I will continue to bring up the injuries. Because this team went from about 12-4, low as 10-6 down to where we are now. Imagine if your beloved Packers had those DBs that you were missing for a while done for the year. That's what we had to deal with. So yeah, that's tough to recover from. Extremely tough

And if you go from WINNING THE SB to missing the playoffs this year, then that is a huge flop. I don't care if he has a longer leash or not. It was a big time flop. We go from losing first round of playoffs to not making it after getting murdered by injuries no less. Nothing comparable to what Denver just did
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Even the media, analysts, etc say that this was near impossible to overcome. These guys were out for the season. Not out for a few games. So I will continue to bring up the injuries. Because this team went from about 12-4, low as 10-6 down to where we are now. Imagine if your beloved Packers had those DBs that you were missing for a while done for the year. That's what we had to deal with. So yeah, that's tough to recover from. Extremely tough

And if you go from WINNING THE SB to missing the playoffs this year, then that is a huge flop. I don't care if he has a longer leash or not. It was a big time flop. We go from losing first round of playoffs to not making it after getting murdered by injuries no less. Nothing comparable to what Denver just did
Nothing more then your own conjecture, I think your O line was awful before the injuries and likely would have cost you the playoffs regardless. 12- 4? Uh my dude, you werent 12- 4, again, nothing but speculative optimism there. If you want to claim you would have attained a playoff spot had not been for injuries, I could easily say you wouldnt have taken the division last year without the Packers injuries, and we could go back and forth with speculative nonsense all day, but that would be pointless.

The Vikes arent the only ones who the media deemed to injured to salvage, btw. :wink: (McCarthy won the SB with 15 starters on IR btw, you wont get much sympathy from me in that department)

Right, so winning the SB and then missing the playoffs is indicative of lesser coaching then going one and done in the playoffs and then missing entirely. :roll:
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote: Nothing more then your own conjecture, I think your O line was awful before the injuries and likely would have cost you the playoffs regardless. 12- 4? Uh my dude, you werent 12- 4, again, nothing but speculative optimism there. If you want to claim you would have attained a playoff spot had not been for injuries, I could easily say you wouldnt have taken the division last year without the Packers injuries, and we could go back and forth with speculative nonsense all day, but that would be pointless.

The Vikes arent the only ones who the media deemed to injured to salvage, btw. :wink: (McCarthy won the SB with 15 starters on IR btw, you wont get much sympathy from me in that department)

Right, so winning the SB and then missing the playoffs is indicative of lesser coaching then going one and done in the playoffs and then missing entirely. :roll:
Of course man. Why would a packers fan give the Vikings credit for anything?? Don't bother please. The OL didn't cost us the playoffs last year but yet you're saying it would this year? Sounds like speculative optimism to me too. If we don't lose Harris, Kalil and Smith, our line is better than last years. So not sure how they would cost us a playoff spot. That terrible OL seemed good enough to take the division from you last year. Like I said, you aren't going to sit there and give us any credit for a thing so save your energy and move on.
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Of course man. Why would a packers fan give the Vikings credit for anything?? Don't bother please. The OL didn't cost us the playoffs last year but yet you're saying it would this year? Sounds like speculative optimism to me too. If we don't lose Harris, Kalil and Smith, our line is better than last years. So not sure how they would cost us a playoff spot. That terrible OL seemed good enough to take the division from you last year. Like I said, you aren't going to sit there and give us any credit for a thing so save your energy and move on.
Oh but dont you know PHP, the Packers only lost the division last year because of our injuries. :roll:

Your O line has been your weakness all of this year and last, I don't think one playoff game has much of an effect on that. Literally all of those guys you named have had vast stretches of ineptitude in their career.

Injuries happen, but I dont think a bunch of middling, struggling lineman were going to save you from only winning two of your last eight.