Vikings' defensive discord raises concerning questions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

vatusay
Starter

Re: Vikings' defensive discord raises concerning questions

Post by vatusay »

Jordysghost wrote: What is your point? The Packers werent even close to being the team they are now then.

Bradford had a career game in week 2, he was fantastic that night no doubt, and fortuantly for him it was our first game without Shields, but Sunday him and the offense only scored 13 until the game was safely into garbage time and prevent D time. He didnt actually have as good a game as Rodgers, not even close.

No dude, that LT would have had to be seriously good at covering WRs.
So an injury, shields being out, had an affect on the game? Injuries DO matter? Wow who knew.

The line was trash last year and it won the division. Was improved this year before injuries.

Clemmings may be the worst LT seen, well, ever. Just watch the games. I used to think weathermen/women had the easiest jobs because they can be wrong at forecast every day and keep job. But man, Clemmings in putrid. Sucks HARD at the second most important position on a football team.

What other tackle is called out every week by virtually every play-by-play and color commentator? Even guys that "love" everyone. I.e. Gruden and collinsworth.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Its was kind of a weird presser. At some point, someone will put a non subjective feeling article together, but the facts of, what was said and what was implied. I think Zimmer lost a bit of control and players like Newman thought they could audible or change the formation a little bit. It was a bad plan. But it doesnt look like Rhodes was on Jordy every play, and that bothers me. Something was going on. Xavier covered 2 better WR's, with half the problems he had with Jordy. And that burnt us. That first half something was going on, Zim finally got through to the DBs has 'plan'. And they did better. But it was too late.

I hate the Packers so much. I shouldnt, Im too old to dislike a team of sports this much, and ofc, we have a member who brings them up in every thread, every other post. This time of year with our team going from a well formed until, to the opposite has been very depressing. Please, everyone, less Packer talk, pro or con, and more Vikings talk. Positive if you can.

Hopefully the scouts are working already on the draft and who the best Olinemen are (even center or RG if we think we are set on them add better then what we have, like Chester Taylor and AD) and find some hard working ones. Esp. if theres a way to say goodbye to Kalil. Or someone talk to him, see if it really is all injury, and not going on in his head. Cause he started out right. I think Bradford about all we are going to see as a good QB, while Teddy (whose starting days may be a whiles from now) and Heinikie. I also wouldnt mind replacing Loche. He is so hit or miss. And I say we say fairwell to AD. And try to fix the Oline as we develop a new RB. Theres a few i like there. But first and foremost, Oline. Mental mistakes (penalties, etc,) and horrible luck with injuries on the oline screwed us this year

And a huge shout out to Thieland who went to school really close to me. Ive followed him since the VIkings got him, liked his Talent and wanted to see him play more. And boy can he play.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

vatusay wrote: So an injury, shields being out, had an affect on the game? Injuries DO matter? Wow who knew.

The line was trash last year and it won the division. Was improved this year before injuries.

Clemmings may be the worst LT seen, well, ever. Just watch the games. I used to think weathermen/women had the easiest jobs because they can be wrong at forecast every day and keep job. But man, Clemmings in putrid. Sucks HARD at the second most important position on a football team.

What other tackle is called out every week by virtually every play-by-play and color commentator? Even guys that "love" everyone. I.e. Gruden and collinsworth.
Never said they didnt, did you read any of my prior posts? I can only assume no.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Its was kind of a weird presser. At some point, someone will put a non subjective feeling article together, but the facts of, what was said and what was implied. I think Zimmer lost a bit of control and players like Newman thought they could audible or change the formation a little bit. It was a bad plan. But it doesnt look like Rhodes was on Jordy every play, and that bothers me. Something was going on. Xavier covered 2 better WR's, with half the problems he had with Jordy. And that burnt us. That first half something was going on, Zim finally got through to the DBs has 'plan'. And they did better. But it was too late.

I hate the Packers so much. I shouldnt, Im too old to dislike a team of sports this much, and ofc, we have a member who brings them up in every thread, every other post. This time of year with our team going from a well formed until, to the opposite has been very depressing. Please, everyone, less Packer talk, pro or con, and more Vikings talk. Positive if you can.

Hopefully the scouts are working already on the draft and who the best Olinemen are (even center or RG if we think we are set on them add better then what we have, like Chester Taylor and AD) and find some hard working ones. Esp. if theres a way to say goodbye to Kalil. Or someone talk to him, see if it really is all injury, and not going on in his head. Cause he started out right. I think Bradford about all we are going to see as a good QB, while Teddy (whose starting days may be a whiles from now) and Heinikie. I also wouldnt mind replacing Loche. He is so hit or miss. And I say we say fairwell to AD. And try to fix the Oline as we develop a new RB. Theres a few i like there. But first and foremost, Oline. Mental mistakes (penalties, etc,) and horrible luck with injuries on the oline screwed us this year

And a huge shout out to Thieland who went to school really close to me. Ive followed him since the VIkings got him, liked his Talent and wanted to see him play more. And boy can he play.
And that is how you see it, I personally have always thought for hating the Packers so much alot of people here seem to bring thing into discussion alot.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
vatusay
Starter

Post by vatusay »

The injuries to the OL, in my opinion, are why this team is not in the playoffs.

By prior posts it seems that you argue how injuries aren't the reason the Vikings season has gone in the toilet, in which I strongly disagree.

If not what you're implying, my bad.
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

Can i ask really, Why the heck is Jordysghost even in this site?? He is just here to be an instigator and has nothing to add about the Vikes other than his green and gold shaded view. Can we please block his IP and be done with his trolling?
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Bigwehrm wrote:Can i ask really, Why the heck is Jordysghost even in this site?? He is just here to be an instigator and has nothing to add about the Vikes other than his green and gold shaded view. Can we please block his IP and be done with his trolling?
I dont think thats fair or accurate.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Jordysghost wrote:[

Why wouldn't you do it again? Because you clearly have more issues then some linemen getting injured. Thats the point, you seem to think injuries to your already weak O line is the only reason your in the boat your in, I think that is silly an just using injuries as an excuse for losing.
I don't know how to put this any nicer. But didn't I say we lost the 4 most important positions on the offense and now you're going to sit there and accuse me of just saying OL? Did I ever once say that? Nope. I put into consideration our HOF RB. And go ahead and say what you will but he led the league in rushing behind a bad OL. But yeah I only mentioned the OL the whole time :whistle: that's like losing your precious HOF QB and if you did, you would be a bottom feeder. So no, I never referred to "just the OL". I referred to the 4 most important positions on the offense
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

We have the worst tackle of the decade starting on our blind side. And Sirles on the other end. Yet Jordy is trying to sit here and say we wouldn't have much more than two wins in the last 8 with or without them? He clearly continues to miss the point that we legitimately had to modify our offense due to our tackles. So how does an arguably WORSE line make the playoffs last year Jordy?! Hmmm?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

Bigwehrm wrote:Can i ask really, Why the heck is Jordysghost even in this site?? He is just here to be an instigator and has nothing to add about the Vikes other than his green and gold shaded view. Can we please block his IP and be done with his trolling?
I agree. I get tired of his gloating after games like last week. He's a Packer fan for crying outloud. He ticks people off here on a regular basis.
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote:According to this Link the "mutiny" was blown out of porportion.
More at the Link.

Thanks for the link. It reads like spin control to me but that's not unexpected and at least it sounds like they're on the same page about it, which hopefully means no irreparable damage was done to internal relationships on the team.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Fans of other teams are allowed to post here, folks. Let's stay on topic.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I think Kevin Siefert has an excellent take on this:

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer's explanation doesn't add up
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I just don’t think I’m of the view that the current debacle represents a state of new normal for the team. They’ve lost 9 games out of 10. That HAS to be a factor in the current mess. It is certainly an embarrassment, but I’m not seeing the conclusion that Mike Zimmer has suddenly lost his ability to coach as a result of it. That just feels like it is going too far. Mentally this team is completely at the bottom of the barrel.

A fair criticism/ question of Zimmer is to ask why he hasn’t bene able to bring them out of the funk? It might be better to ask why he has allowed the Defense to crack in December? It seems like they’ve slowly pulled the offense off the edge of the cliff, but now the defense has decided to go into the tank. How did that happen?

I look back on this season and I think a critical point was the week before Halloween. A question to ask of Zimmer is how come he couldn't right the ship mentally after that loss to PHI? We had a road game on MNF against a putrid Bears team. We get blown out. That to me was the first critical failure of the year. We end up with Norv walking out after that. (What happened there?) Then the wheels came off vs. DET. They finally did something and cut Walsh, solving a lingering problem that had plagued them really since 2014. However, that was probably done 2-3 weeks too late and by then it wasn’t enough. We needed two return TDs to get that win vs. AZ. Offensively the team was / is in shambles. (It feels like they’ve ever so slightly pulled it out of the abyss, but the DEF has gone into the tank.) That is a lot of up and down in the season. What gives Zimmer?

Was the offensive coaching dysfunction so bad that it was just a matter of time before it all blew up? I think that is at least part of it. This begs the question that was posed by that article posted a week or two ago about Zimmer not knowing who he wanted to hire on Offense. Just how much went into the offensive coaching hires? Pure conjecture on my part, but I think this season we saw Zimmer finally start to recognize some of what he wants out of his OC and Norv just wasn't it. To be clear, this doesn't mean that Zimmer has suddenly figured out what he needs to do to field a winning offense.

(FWIW, I think at least part of the mess was due to Norv being as stubborn and rigid as we all thought he was.)

For me a lot of this gets back to an over-arching question on the coaching staff. It was obvious during the start of the swoon that the offense was a major issue. Is the current O staff competitive? For the Wilfs and Spielman, is Zimmer the answer at HC? Or more specifically, can he grow out of this challenge or have we seen peak Zimmer? My opinion is that we haven’t seen peak Zimmer yet, but he needs to grow. A further question for everybody: Why did it take so long to cut Walsh? Lastly, why has this roster so badly underperformed in 2016? We are not worse than DET or CHI, yet we are likely to be 0-4 against them. That has to change.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:We have the worst tackle of the decade starting on our blind side. And Sirles on the other end. Yet Jordy is trying to sit here and say we wouldn't have much more than two wins in the last 8 with or without them? He clearly continues to miss the point that we legitimately had to modify our offense due to our tackles. So how does an arguably WORSE line make the playoffs last year Jordy?! Hmmm?
Um, because your D was better last year and the division was weaker. Could your line have been worse last year? Maybe, but it seems like signing struggling o linemen with injury history was your teams response, and it cost you.