Vikings' defensive discord raises concerning questions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Re: Vikings' defensive discord raises concerning questions

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I don't know how to put this any nicer. But didn't I say we lost the 4 most important positions on the offense and now you're going to sit there and accuse me of just saying OL? Did I ever once say that? Nope. I put into consideration our HOF RB. And go ahead and say what you will but he led the league in rushing behind a bad OL. But yeah I only mentioned the OL the whole time :whistle: that's like losing your precious HOF QB and if you did, you would be a bottom feeder. So no, I never referred to "just the OL". I referred to the 4 most important positions on the offense
Losing AP isnt even close to losing Rodgers, not even close. Half of your own fanbase seems to think your O is better off without AP (Due to his inability to be effective from shotgun, or on passing downs) and as far as our two games go, he really didnt affect much, the Packers loaded up entirely on the run both games against Minny and the running game actually did better without AP then with him. (Which honestly could be said about our matchups for the past three years)

Bridge on the other hand really would be an incredibly impactful injury but you literally just found someone better. My gosh dude ive seen my team lose 15 starters to or in one season. (And that was just the IR) blaming injuries s a weak excuse. Were some mediocre linemen going to stop your D from having the performance they have had the past two weeks?
Last edited by Jordysghost on Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote:
Thanks for the link. It reads like spin control to me but that's not unexpected and at least it sounds like they're on the same page about it, which hopefully means no irreparable damage was done to internal relationships on the team.
I agree with you Jim.

It's just about the most roundabout coach-speak nonsense I've ever heard. But like you said, they're at least telling the same story.

For now, anyway.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I agree with you Jim.

It's just about the most roundabout coach-speak nonsense I've ever heard. But like you said, they're at least telling the same story.

For now, anyway.
:lol: I got a chuckle out of that last line because the story really could change (again).
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

This is a from the Kevin Siefert article I linked to above:
The personal attributes that many people love about Zimmer -- his blunt assessments, his honest answers, his salt-of-the-earth demeanor -- have not served him well this season as a head coach. It's fair to question the environment his program has created, and it is a reminder that running a football team is similar in many ways to a leader in the business world. You should have deep knowledge of the product, of course, but more importantly you must connect with and properly manage your people.

When a respected coach quits and veteran players are in open defiance, the tendency, of course, is to redirect. But don't be fooled here. Sometimes, a fire is in fact a fire.

Injuries to key players are the primary reason the Vikings' season will end Sunday in disappointment, but they aren't the first team in NFL history to be ravaged at key positions. The question must at least be asked. If Zimmer is as good a head coach as we all thought he was when the Vikings started 5-0, why have a few hiccups caused such internal angst?

I don't expect Zimmer to lose his job, and I know he has been affected by a serious eye ailment. But he would be well-served to spend the offseason reviewing how he has managed the people who work for him, and why his message has been rejected by some of the most important among them.
Holzberg
Practice Squad

Post by Holzberg »

Dallas had a starting QB go down, they threw a rookie in there and they are now at the top of the NFC. This happens to the Vikings who have a 3rd year QB go down (who hasn't been all that spectacular) and they get a seasoned QB instead of using a rookie and we miss the playoffs after 5-0. Dallas proved that having your veteran starter QB go down is not doom and gloom as long as you have a good backup (in their case a good draft) and a good offense. The Vikings offense was never that good to begin with so it didn't matter who we put in there, but thankfully they did put Sam in there who has done good. You can't use Teddy going down as an excuse for this team because by getting Sam we actually ended up with a better QB. Also, AP wasn't spectacular in the games he played this year because of the crappy OL. We ended last year at 11-5 and for anyone to think that behind this offense that we would have the same or better record this year if Teddy and AP didn't get hurt is an idiot. Management did nothing to fix the problems on this team for this year.

I did defend Zim, but I am not anymore after he has shown he is incompetent on offense and can't keep his team going a full season. Our defense was better at the end of 2015 and the first half of 2016... but after the second half of this year it has really gone downhill. I am having a hard time trying to find anything positive that Zim has brought to the team. I don't see any brightness for next season behind a coach who knows jack about half his job, a coach who constantly sparks issues with players in the media and a GM's crappy offensive player picks.

Oh yeah, that's right... Zim just needs a good OC... so the answer is for our HC to continue to do half the job that he should be doing and hire someone to do the rest. LMAO!

Clemmings can be good at run blocking but sucks at pass blocking... so he can only do half his job and you all want him out so bad. Why not the same for a HC that only knows half his job?

I want the Vikings to succeed... I want a SB win... but for us to keep giving these pathetic coaches ONE MORE YEAR is not going to get us anywhere. That's just us as fans saying it's OK to waste one more year based on hope.

I will leave it open now for the Zim lovers to defend Zim and Spielman, but I want you all to think real hard about Zim's 3 years. Also, how may years would you all allow this crap to go on before moving on to newer coaches and GMs?

:wallbang:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:I just don’t think I’m of the view that the current debacle represents a state of new normal for the team. They’ve lost 9 games out of 10. That HAS to be a factor in the current mess. It is certainly an embarrassment, but I’m not seeing the conclusion that Mike Zimmer has suddenly lost his ability to coach as a result of it. That just feels like it is going too far. Mentally this team is completely at the bottom of the barrel.

A fair criticism/ question of Zimmer is to ask why he hasn’t bene able to bring them out of the funk? It might be better to ask why he has allowed the Defense to crack in December? It seems like they’ve slowly pulled the offense off the edge of the cliff, but now the defense has decided to go into the tank. How did that happen?

I look back on this season and I think a critical point was the week before Halloween. A question to ask of Zimmer is how come he couldn't right the ship mentally after that loss to PHI? We had a road game on MNF against a putrid Bears team. We get blown out. That to me was the first critical failure of the year. We end up with Norv walking out after that. (What happened there?) Then the wheels came off vs. DET. They finally did something and cut Walsh, solving a lingering problem that had plagued them really since 2014. However, that was probably done 2-3 weeks too late and by then it wasn’t enough. We needed two return TDs to get that win vs. AZ. Offensively the team was / is in shambles. (It feels like they’ve ever so slightly pulled it out of the abyss, but the DEF has gone into the tank.) That is a lot of up and down in the season. What gives Zimmer?

Was the offensive coaching dysfunction so bad that it was just a matter of time before it all blew up? I think that is at least part of it. This begs the question that was posed by that article posted a week or two ago about Zimmer not knowing who he wanted to hire on Offense. Just how much went into the offensive coaching hires? Pure conjecture on my part, but I think this season we saw Zimmer finally start to recognize some of what he wants out of his OC and Norv just wasn't it. To be clear, this doesn't mean that Zimmer has suddenly figured out what he needs to do to field a winning offense.

(FWIW, I think at least part of the mess was due to Norv being as stubborn and rigid as we all thought he was.)

For me a lot of this gets back to an over-arching question on the coaching staff. It was obvious during the start of the swoon that the offense was a major issue. Is the current O staff competitive? For the Wilfs and Spielman, is Zimmer the answer at HC? Or more specifically, can he grow out of this challenge or have we seen peak Zimmer? My opinion is that we haven’t seen peak Zimmer yet, but he needs to grow. A further question for everybody: Why did it take so long to cut Walsh? Lastly, why has this roster so badly underperformed in 2016? We are not worse than DET or CHI, yet we are likely to be 0-4 against them. That has to change.
That's a whole heap of good questions.

I think it took so long to cut Walsh because they were trying to be patient with him and because it can be hard to find genuine improvement at a position (even kicker) during the season. We've seen that with Forbath who has been perfect on FG attempts but has already missed 3 of his 9 extra point attempts.

I think some of your other questions, like those about the coaching staff, Zimmer's ability to grow and why the roster has underperformed all get back to some of the issues we've been discussing all season (and even longer than that). I still contend that the roster has underperformed on offense because it was poorly envisioned and constructed in the first place. On defense, what we're seeing is pretty close to what we've seen in the previous 2 seasons under Zimmer. They're allowing about 30 yards less per game on average but otherwise, it's not dissimilar. They have moments of dominance, games where they seem to just falter and get blown out and a tendency to commit frustrating penalties or have breakdowns in crucial moments.

When it comes to what happened between Zimmer and Turner, the bottom line is we don't know but it IS interesting to speculate. I don't know if Turner's departure was an indication that Zimmer had decided Norv couldn't be the kind of OC Zimmer wanted or if Turner ultimately decided he just couldn't be the OC he wants to be under the circumstances. Since it was Turner's choice to leave and Zimmer seemed taken by surprise when Turner resigned, I lean toward the idea that Turner concluded his offensive philosophy was at odds with what Zimmer (and perhaps Spielman?) are trying to do in Minnesota so he stepped aside to enable Zimmer to turn to Shurmur.

I have a feeling Zimmer was the more stubborn and rigid of the two coaches but maybe it was both of them and that made for a bad mix.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Roster wise let's leave that alone. There is speculation there, but you and I have beaten the crap out of it already. One thing I'll throw your way on it though: If they are going to continue with a more Shurmur/Andy Reid style of offense then they'll need to adjust their drafting to accommodate the needs of such a scheme. It will be very interesting to see what kind of offensive coaching changes they make this off season. The good news is it may not be as painful of a transition since we've seen our QB and WR able to play the scheme. RB and OL are the issues, but those were going to be issues no matter who they have as coach.

I think in terms of offense, Zimmer started off letting Turner have total control. We've heard him say as much on more than one occasion. During the latter portion of the 5-0 happy part of the season, I speculate that Zimmer was involving himself more, as it was obvious that the offense was struggling, but probably not a lot more. Around the time of the Chicago blow out it became clear that the offense was not just ineffective, it was spiraling and getting worse. I think at that point Zimmer pulled in the reigns. Obviously how exactly this went down is needed to be known to properly assess, but the aftermath was that Turner walked out the door on his own.

My opinion is that Turner is more at fault here. The changes Shurmer made were really obvious in their need. We had no running attack without AP and our pass protection was only consistent in it's ability to completely suck. That was clear to anyone watching the games, thus it should not have taken so long to implement the schematic change given where the roster was at due to the bevy of people on IR. It is my opinion that this taking until the CHI blowout was a direct result of Turner being stubborn. I could certainly be wrong here, but it is how I view the mess. Hindsight is 20/20, but the tackle issues were obvious. TJ Clemmings had over a season of tape of BAD play.\ before Kalil/Smith got hurt. There was no reason to expect otherwise.

The Kicker thing was a major locker room cancer and IMO laid the foundations for collapse as well. This team was on the brink after the CHI Loss. The first loss vs. DET was almost entirely on the Kicker. It never should have gone that far. They called the game in a way that all but said out loud that they had no confidence in him. If they are at that point, then why not bring someone else in and be rid of it? It is made even more mind boggling given how conservative this staff has been with playing time just about everywhere else. Why let this kicker basically run amok over the team's psyche? When guys like Waynes and Treadwell ride the bench until they are ready? It just makes no sense to me.

To me these are the two biggest boondoggles that lead to the slide. They should have come out against PHI with the changed offense and been 3 weeks ahead of schedule on the change. The staff is experienced and they knew where they were weak and how to counter the obvious counter a competent DC would empoloy. No excuse for it taking John Fox blowing them out in MNF IMO.

Once the losing took root, the next issue, IMO, was/is the inability of the coaching staff to pull the team out of it. Even after they got that win vs. AZ, they couldn't come out of the tank. This to me is a big issue for Zim. He preaches fight and overcoming adversity. This year, the team may have done it in individuals games at times, but game over game they were completely overcome by the losing. They never got their week 5 confidence back. The DEF was more resilient to this than the offense, but it gradually lost it's confidence, surrendering leads in the 4th Q and finally just completely melting down vs. IND.

The Defensive stuff of late is certainly annoying and a cause for alarm, however I am kind of dismissing it right now. To me this is just the last step of tanking out the season before it can be put out of our misery. The issue itself is obnoxious, but I think the seeds for this were sown weeks ago by the issues I outlined above. We would never be to this level of tanking if the coaches had done a better job of stemming the tide in October and November.

There is one part of this that gives hope. Most of the above is a result of mental deficiency and bad choices. These are things that can be fixed. (It looks like Kicker is basically fixed.) Nothing on our DEF side of the ball has anything to do with a lack of ability or talent. After an offseason of puting this crap behind them, they should be good to go for 2017. OL and at RB that may not be that simple though. I'm very interested in how that coaching staff is handled in the offseason...
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Mothman wrote:I think Kevin Siefert has an excellent take on this:

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer's explanation doesn't add up
>> Zimmer added, "and I probably shouldn't have been as honest after the game as I typically am."

Anyone else find this comment a bit strange - a coach apologizing for being 'too honest'? I thought one of Zimmer's strong points was being blunt/honest. Zimmer can't get upset if people doubt what he says from now on.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Jordysghost wrote: Um, because your D was better last year and the division was weaker. Could your line have been worse last year? Maybe, but it seems like signing struggling o linemen with injury history was your teams response, and it cost you.
:lol: Our defense was not better last year man. But keep going man you're on a roll
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: :lol: Our defense was not better last year man. But keep going man you're on a roll
Yea it was. Clearly.

Have you seen your defensive production since week 5. I agree that your D has plenty of talent, but functionally they have not played fantastically for most of this year.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote: Losing AP isnt even close to losing Rodgers, not even close. Half of your own fanbase seems to think your O is better off without AP (Due to his inability to be effective from shotgun, or on passing downs) and as far as our two games go, he really didnt affect much, the Packers loaded up entirely on the run both games against Minny and the running game actually did better without AP then with him. (Which honestly could be said about our matchups for the past three years)

Bridge on the other hand really would be an incredibly impactful injury but you literally just found someone better. My gosh dude ive seen my team lose 15 starters to or in one season. (And that was just the IR) blaming injuries s a weak excuse. Were some mediocre linemen going to stop your D from having the performance they have had the past two weeks?
It's not a weak excuse nor do I care what the Packers did or do. I'm not going to sit here and get in a pi**ing match with you over your team. Bottom line is, this team wasnt much different than last years and we had a much worse season this year. A big part of that was the injuries. No matter what way you put it. Don't bother sitting here saying the D was better or any other stuff you pull out of the clouds. We were 13th in total defense and 12 vs the pass last year on defense. This year we are STILL the #2 total defense and 4 vs. the pass. So please don't sit there and try to explain to me why we were in the playoffs last year but not this year. Because the stuff that you are saying isn't adding up man

And look how awful your team looked when you lost half your defense. Clearly it was because of injuries. You lost 4 straight games and gave up almost 90 points in two games. So if you can use the "injury excuse" for that, what makes us any different?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote:
Yea it was. Clearly.

Have you seen your defensive production since week 5. I agree that your D has plenty of talent, but functionally they have not played fantastically for most of this year.

Dude what are you even talking about. Your first comment alone says you should probably just continue to follow your team because you really don't know much about this team. You truly watched them, two, three times last year? We all watch from opening kickoff until the final whistle. Look at the numbers. We were 13th in total defense last year but #2 this year. But now it was "clearly" better last year?? Sounds like you're trying to look for reasons to throw out there because you lost the division title. Bottom line was, you guys were outplayed. And it wasnt by a better defense than this years. And that is a fact. The stats don't lie.
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

This is in reply to PHP, i messed up the quotes.

Yea, but your D hasnt been the same since week 5. The performance of your D has been a crucial aspect of your season.

Yes those injuries did affect us, still are, but that is part of the game and I wasnt prepared to blame a lost season on them, even when it was at its worst, I always held my team responsible for making the adjustments nessecary, next man up, and that goes for every injury riddled seasons ive seen, which has been plenty. What you dont understand is ive literally seen the exact thing that happened to the Vikes O line happen before to the team i root for, its not like im without understanding.

But I don't think your injuries on O line are why you missed the playoffs, I think that is a very convenient excuse that relies on a whole lot of conjecture and optimistic speculation.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Dude what are you even talking about. Your first comment alone says you should probably just continue to follow your team because you really don't know much about this team. You truly watched them, two, three times last year? We all watch from opening kickoff until the final whistle. Look at the numbers. We were 13th in total defense last year but #2 this year. But now it was "clearly" better last year?? Sounds like you're trying to look for reasons to throw out there because you lost the division title. Bottom line was, you guys were outplayed. And it wasnt by a better defense than this years. And that is a fact. The stats don't lie.
Again, look at your numbers after week 5, is that a top D?

Excuses for why we lost the division? No dude, I dont make excuses for failing to take the division, if I were like you id likely blame it on not having 3 of our starting 5 O linemen and two of our top 3 corners out with injury. Are you starting to see my point here?

Looks to me, like YOU are trying to make excuses as to why you couldnt defend said title. As you said, you got outplayed.

BTW, im curious how stating that your D isnt as good this year as last year is making an excuse in regards to last season, that seems utterly non sensical.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

How many starting players have the Packers put on IR this year? I can think of two, Shields and Lacy, they have had numerous other injuries though.