View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 On to 2017 
Defensive Tackle

Post Re: On to 2017
Purple Martin wrote:
Mothman wrote:

I'd like to see a major shift in offensive philosophy from the team.

Yes. I'd like to see our offensive philosophy shift from defense to offense. :wallbang:

:lol:

Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:07 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Brad Childress for OC.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:36 am
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:
Brad Childress for OC.

:puke:

Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:18 pm
Veteran

Team are now all locked in for 2017 season:

Home Games:
Bears, Lions, Packers, Saints, Bucs, Ravens, Bengals, RAMS

Away Games:
Bears, Lions, Packers, Falcons, Panthers, Browns (<in London), Steelers, REDSKINS

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:16 am
Career Elite Player

Mothman wrote:
AlldayPotter wrote:
I'm interested in who we will look at and sign for our Offensive Coordinator.

I'm guessing they will just keep Shurmur. :(

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Shurmur can do with an actual NFL offensive line. He was given a pile of you know what, and at least he tried to be creative to mask the brutal weaknesses of the OL. I agree it was it was maddening watching this offense, but it's hard for me to hold Shurmur accountable given the situation. I thought he did a good job of getting Bradford prepared, and trying to adapt the offense around it's obvious deficiencies. I think he deserves the chance to be the OC for the entire training camp with an actual OL (problem is, I'm not sure it's possible to turn this into an actual NFL OL in 1 offseason :( )

Unlike Norv, who just continued to run 7 step drops despite not having an OL that could protect for a 2 step drop.

I am glad Turner is gone. Overrated, made his name with an entire offense of future HOFers in Dallas, and was far too stubborn to adapt his offense to his players' talents.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:38 pm
Career Elite Player

fiestavike wrote:
Brad Childress for OC.

Tice!!!

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:41 pm
Defensive Tackle

VikingPaul73 wrote:
Mothman wrote:
AlldayPotter wrote:

I'm guessing they will just keep Shurmur. :(

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Shurmur can do with an actual NFL offensive line. He was given a pile of you know what, and at least he tried to be creative to mask the brutal weaknesses of the OL. I agree it was it was maddening watching this offense, but it's hard for me to hold Shurmur accountable given the situation. I thought he did a good job of getting Bradford prepared, and trying to adapt the offense around it's obvious deficiencies. I think he deserves the chance to be the OC for the entire training camp with an actual OL (problem is, I'm not sure it's possible to turn this into an actual NFL OL in 1 offseason :(

I honestly don't care that much since my guess is the entire staff will be gone in a year or two anyway. I think Shurmur's more of a "dink and dunk" play caller and that's not the approach I really like on offense but if they give him a chance, I'll hope for the best.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:01 pm
Hall of Famer

VikingPaul73 wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
Brad Childress for OC.

Tice!!!

:smilevike: (Still one of the best OL coaches we've ever had IMHO)

Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:19 pm
Fenrir

RFIP wrote:
Team are now all locked in for 2017 season:

Home Games:
Bears, Lions, Packers, Saints, Bucs, Ravens, Bengals, RAMS

Away Games:
Bears, Lions, Packers, Falcons, Panthers, Browns (<in London), Steelers, REDSKINS

Not a bad schedule. Falcons and Steelers on the road will likely be tough games.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:29 pm
Defensive Tackle

Just Me wrote:
VikingPaul73 wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
Brad Childress for OC.

Tice!!!

:smilevike: (Still one of the best OL coaches we've ever had IMHO)

I agree. I don't think he was a bad head coach either. He had just one losing season during an era where the owner was literally stripping the team of assets. Few head coaches have had less overall support from an organization. I still feel the Wilfs made a hasty decision letting him go.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:45 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

The Wilf's had their own learning curve to go through...

That being said, Tice would have never succeeded here in 2006 IMO. He basically came in as an extension of Dennis Green.

It is telling that in the 10 years since he hasn't been hired as HC again. Maybe he doesn't want to? Or maybe he isn't up to NFL snuff for that position? I don't know.

I didn't realize this until recently, but both Shurmer and Brad Childress are close members of the Andy Reid coaching tree. Shurmer hired Childress as his OC when he was HC of the Browns. Shurmer was OC of Philly in a 2nd stint under Chip Kelly. He was almost hired to replace Kelly before losing the Chief's OC, Doug Pedersen. Childress is now the Chief's OC and Shurmer came here.

It is worth noting that Shurmer has had a lot of success coaching QBs as well having offenses that are able to limit turnovers. He also helped develop a probowl TE at Philly as well as serving as their OL coach. These are attributes that fit a defensive minded team and mirror the formula KC has used successfully this season with it's defense and Alex Smith.

They say that in the NFL as a new HC you cannot always hire the guy you want since he is under contract. Perhaps Shurmer was the guy Zimmer wanted? I know we've talked about that before and it is obvious that hiring Shurmer with his resume as a TE coach was never going to be permanent.

Maybe the next OC is already here? Not sure if I like that or not. Not sure I hate it either...

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:40 pm
Defensive Tackle

mansquatch wrote:

That being said, Tice would have never succeeded here in 2006 IMO. He basically came in as an extension of Dennis Green.

It is telling that in the 10 years since he hasn't been hired as HC again. Maybe he doesn't want to? Or maybe he isn't up to NFL snuff for that position? I don't know.

I think the "Love boat" and the ticket scandal probably submarined his chances of being a head coach again.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:11 pm
Hall of Famer

Can we ask for no bye-week in 2017? It does not seem to help us in any way.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:00 pm
All Pro Elite Player

unless Spielman pull his head out of his #### and admits that he has virtually NO Ol talent, then drafts and trades like a madman for Ol talent, 2017 will just be another crappy year for Viking Fans.......it couldn't be any clearer.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:06 pm
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
mansquatch wrote:

I think the "Love boat" and the ticket scandal probably submarined his chances of being a head coach again.

Hard to say how 2006 would have looked with Tice on board. Probably no Steve Hutchinson. Culpepper would have stayed on board as the QB though. It would have been interesting for sure.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:58 pm
Rookie

chicagopurple wrote:
unless Spielman pull his head out of his #### and admits that he has virtually NO Ol talent, then drafts and trades like a madman for Ol talent, 2017 will just be another crappy year for Viking Fans.......it couldn't be any clearer.

That's how I feel. We have receiver talent, QB talent, RB talent, TE talent. What we need is an Oline.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:26 pm
Defensive Tackle

fiestavike wrote:
Brad Childress for OC.

Retaining Shurmur as OC might be almost the same thing. I wonder how many Vikes fans realize that.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:32 pm
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
Brad Childress for OC.

Retaining Shurmur as OC might be almost the same thing. I wonder how many Vikes fans realize that.

I am a simple man: I miss the ole Check-Down Childress and draw plays on 3rd and long.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:19 pm
Commissioner

chicagopurple wrote:

If he pulls his head out, he needs to look at the team. If he acts stupid and focuses on the offensive line, there's going to be issues at other positions going forward. Drafting and trading like a mad man for offensive line isn't going to make this a competitive team year in and year out. It might make it look better for the next year or two. But after that? Even if a team focuses on the OL with every dollar and pick they have there's no guarantee the offensive line is "done", especially after one offseason.

They need to start with a competent offensive coach. Shurmur and Norv both had more questions than answers in their resumes. With top 3 offensive talent they would both produce. With top 10 Norv likely would, Shurmur? I'd question it. Below that? I don't think either of them would be capable of fielding a productive offense game in and game out.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:42 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
Brad Childress for OC.

I do. But I don't know what other realistic options there are.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
losperros wrote:
akvikingsfan wrote:

Vikings Free Agents:
Matt Kalil
Captain Munnerlyn
Andre Smith
Shaun Hill
Chad Greenway
Terence Newman
Cordarrelle Patterson
Zach Line
Jake Long
Matt Asiata
Audie Cole
Justin Trattou
Jeff Locke

I'm hoping Vikings re-sign Munnerlyn, Patterson, Asiata, and Locke. I'm fine if they re-sign a couple others. But aside from that, the Vikings need to spend their money and time on rebuilding the offensive line.

An absolute no when it comes to Locke. One of those tackles need to be resigned IMO too. I would take Line and Cole back too

I also have a mock offseason partially typed up. Will probably get it on here sometime this week

Agree and I would re-sign Kalil. Smith is a turd. If Munnerlyn/Newman aren't retiring I'd take one back on the cheap, otherwise I'll re-sign Patterson and move on from everyone else on this FA list though Greenway is by most accounts retiring, if not I'd take him back at vet minimum too.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:53 am
Backup

AlldayPotter wrote:

Yeah, Bradford's due for a OC change....

Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:09 am
Commissioner

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Mothman wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
Brad Childress for OC.

I see the connection but agree with PMR about the lack of realistic options.

Not only that, one has to wonder who would make the change. Would Zimmer fire Shurmur at this point? I don't know. Would Ziggy insist Zimmer make the change? I don't know that one either.

Would a winning team with a quality offensive line offer Shurmur an OC job? Umm...no.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:18 am
Defensive Tackle

losperros wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

I see the connection but agree with PMR about the lack of realistic options.

I think there are always options among current NFL assistants and in the college coaching ranks. There will also be NFL OCs out of work after this season after teams make head coaching changes. I don't think they are stuck with Shurmur due to a lack of alternatives.

Quote:
Not only that, one has to wonder who would make the change. Would Zimmer fire Shurmur at this point? I don't know. Would Ziggy insist Zimmer make the change? I don't know that one either.

Now that's obviously a different story and I fully expect the Vikings to take the path of least resistance and offer Shurmur the job.

Quote:
Would a winning team with a quality offensive line offer Shurmur an OC job? Umm...no.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:21 pm
Commissioner

Mothman wrote:
Now that's obviously a different story and I fully expect the Vikings to take the path of least resistance and offer Shurmur the job.

But that's one of the big reasons why I see a lack of options. For Shurmur to leave, he'd practically have to quit. I don't see that happening.

Aside from that, I'm not sure either Zimmer or Ziggy would insist on a change at this point.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:16 pm
Defensive Tackle

losperros wrote:
But that's one of the big reasons why I see a lack of options. For Shurmur to leave, he'd practically have to quit. I don't see that happening.

I see. It sounds like we agree that the Vikes will probably just keep Shurmur.

If they do, I sure hope we see significant improvement.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:32 pm
Veteran

It doesn't really matter who the OC is if he has a huge talent deficit in the O line , he won't have time to have any medium to deep pass routes or push to sustain a running game.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:36 pm
Commissioner

Husker Vike wrote:
It doesn't really matter who the OC is if he has a huge talent deficit in the O line , he won't have time to have any medium to deep pass routes or push to sustain a running game.

No doubt. The OL has to improve for any of the skill players to play their best football.

Even so, Shurmur plays a lot of small ball and I'm not convinced he won't stay with it regardless what the blocking is like.

Thing is, I just don't like it as an offensive philosophy. I think that's what Moth is saying as well.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:03 pm
Defensive Tackle

losperros wrote:
Husker Vike wrote:

No doubt. The OL has to improve for any of the skill players to play their best football.

Even so, Shurmur plays a lot of small ball and I'm not convinced he won't stay with it regardless what the blocking is like.

Thing is, I just don't like it as an offensive philosophy. I think that's what Moth is saying as well.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:16 pm
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
Purple Martin wrote:
I think the team should spend some time on resigning or restructuring some of their fans. I'm in the final year of my contract and elsewhere is starting to look pretty good.

I want a restructured "fantract" and a signing bonus!

Now that is freaking funny :point: :point: :appl: :banana:

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next