On to 2017

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

germannorseman
Backup

Re: On to 2017

Post by germannorseman »

chicagopurple wrote:unless Spielman pull his head out of his #### and admits that he has virtually NO Ol talent, then drafts and trades like a madman for Ol talent, 2017 will just be another crappy year for Viking Fans.......it couldn't be any clearer.
That's how I feel. We have receiver talent, QB talent, RB talent, TE talent. What we need is an Oline.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Brad Childress for OC.
Retaining Shurmur as OC might be almost the same thing. I wonder how many Vikes fans realize that.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: Retaining Shurmur as OC might be almost the same thing. I wonder how many Vikes fans realize that.
I am a simple man: I miss the ole Check-Down Childress and draw plays on 3rd and long.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

chicagopurple wrote:unless Spielman pull his head out of his #### and admits that he has virtually NO Ol talent, then drafts and trades like a madman for Ol talent, 2017 will just be another crappy year for Viking Fans.......it couldn't be any clearer.
If he pulls his head out, he needs to look at the team. If he acts stupid and focuses on the offensive line, there's going to be issues at other positions going forward. Drafting and trading like a mad man for offensive line isn't going to make this a competitive team year in and year out. It might make it look better for the next year or two. But after that? Even if a team focuses on the OL with every dollar and pick they have there's no guarantee the offensive line is "done", especially after one offseason.

They need to start with a competent offensive coach. Shurmur and Norv both had more questions than answers in their resumes. With top 3 offensive talent they would both produce. With top 10 Norv likely would, Shurmur? I'd question it. Below that? I don't think either of them would be capable of fielding a productive offense game in and game out.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: Retaining Shurmur as OC might be almost the same thing. I wonder how many Vikes fans realize that.
I do. But I don't know what other realistic options there are.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: An absolute no when it comes to Locke. One of those tackles need to be resigned IMO too. I would take Line and Cole back too

I also have a mock offseason partially typed up. Will probably get it on here sometime this week
Agree and I would re-sign Kalil. Smith is a turd. If Munnerlyn/Newman aren't retiring I'd take one back on the cheap, otherwise I'll re-sign Patterson and move on from everyone else on this FA list though Greenway is by most accounts retiring, if not I'd take him back at vet minimum too.
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

AlldayPotter wrote:I'm interested in who we will look at and sign for our Offensive Coordinator.
Yeah, Bradford's due for a OC change....
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I do. But I don't know what other realistic options there are.
I see the connection but agree with PMR about the lack of realistic options.

Not only that, one has to wonder who would make the change. Would Zimmer fire Shurmur at this point? I don't know. Would Ziggy insist Zimmer make the change? I don't know that one either.

Would a winning team with a quality offensive line offer Shurmur an OC job? Umm...no.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: I see the connection but agree with PMR about the lack of realistic options.
I think there are always options among current NFL assistants and in the college coaching ranks. There will also be NFL OCs out of work after this season after teams make head coaching changes. I don't think they are stuck with Shurmur due to a lack of alternatives.
Not only that, one has to wonder who would make the change. Would Zimmer fire Shurmur at this point? I don't know. Would Ziggy insist Zimmer make the change? I don't know that one either.
Now that's obviously a different story and I fully expect the Vikings to take the path of least resistance and offer Shurmur the job.
Would a winning team with a quality offensive line offer Shurmur an OC job? Umm...no.
:lol:
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:Now that's obviously a different story and I fully expect the Vikings to take the path of least resistance and offer Shurmur the job.
But that's one of the big reasons why I see a lack of options. For Shurmur to leave, he'd practically have to quit. I don't see that happening.

Aside from that, I'm not sure either Zimmer or Ziggy would insist on a change at this point.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:But that's one of the big reasons why I see a lack of options. For Shurmur to leave, he'd practically have to quit. I don't see that happening.
I see. It sounds like we agree that the Vikes will probably just keep Shurmur.

If they do, I sure hope we see significant improvement.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

It doesn't really matter who the OC is if he has a huge talent deficit in the O line , he won't have time to have any medium to deep pass routes or push to sustain a running game.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Husker Vike wrote:It doesn't really matter who the OC is if he has a huge talent deficit in the O line , he won't have time to have any medium to deep pass routes or push to sustain a running game.
No doubt. The OL has to improve for any of the skill players to play their best football.

Even so, Shurmur plays a lot of small ball and I'm not convinced he won't stay with it regardless what the blocking is like.

Thing is, I just don't like it as an offensive philosophy. I think that's what Moth is saying as well.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: No doubt. The OL has to improve for any of the skill players to play their best football.

Even so, Shurmur plays a lot of small ball and I'm not convinced he won't stay with it regardless what the blocking is like.

Thing is, I just don't like it as an offensive philosophy. I think that's what Moth is saying as well.
That's exactly what I'm saying.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Mothman wrote: :lol:

I want a restructured "fantract" and a signing bonus!

Now that is freaking funny :point: :point: :appl: :banana: