View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Vikes Packers game day thread 
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post Re: Vikes Packers game day thread
vatusay wrote:
Think zim would let them get tore up by jordy on purpose knowing they aren't following game plan?

The splits show the brainiacs in the secondary were extremely wrong to go against zimmer.

I don't see him losing the locker room. He Is one of the most respected coaches in the league by anyone that has played for him.

Exactly I've also said this as well. Anyone that's ever been coached by him raves about him.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:32 am
Packers Suck

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

They were exposed in Philadelphia, more in Chicago, and Detroit sealed the deal. After the Philly game, the defense didn't look the same at all. They gave up 3rd down conversions that they hadn't for the first five weeks, they gave up red zone TDs that they didn't in the first five weeks, and they gave up long plays that they didn't in the first five weeks. The entire defense looked different after Philadelphia. I am not going to say "This is a fact" because the numbers are still good, but other than the Dallas and Jacksonville games, the defense was not stopping anyone. I said it before, and until I am proven otherwise, I am worried that Zimmer's defense was figured out because at one point it was so mind boggling a 10 point lead by the Vikings seemed insurmountable. These last couple of games against mediocre offenses are reminiscent of the Lesile Frasier days. I am very disappointed in the effort of the entire team, outside of Thielen, for the last few weeks. I have serious questions about Mike Zimmer now that I didn't have three months ago. You never see a Bill Bellicheck, Bill Cowher, or even a Mike McCarthy coached team perform with this much disinterest.

Also, as for Mike McCarthy, his defense looked like an absolute dumpster fire when they had guys go down on that side of the ball. They lost like 4 games straight. So yeah, I would take they were performing with "disinterest"

It was more then just guys, it was the top four corners, and all starting four LBs, but in defense of McCarthy here, I dont think 'Disinterest' was ever an issue. Being not good isnt the same as disinterest imo, and I think that is the issue PurpleMustReign has, he perceives the Vikings recent issues not as a lack of talent or ability, but a lack of focus/effort.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:38 am
Packers Suck

vatusay wrote:
Think zim would let them get tore up by jordy on purpose knowing they aren't following game plan?

The splits show the brainiacs in the secondary were extremely wrong to go against zimmer.

I don't see him losing the locker room. He Is one of the most respected coaches in the league by anyone that has played for him.

Exactly I've also said this as well. Anyone that's ever been coached by him raves about him.

Until he calls you out in a press conference after one bad performance. :whistle:

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:48 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Jordysghost wrote:

Also, as for Mike McCarthy, his defense looked like an absolute dumpster fire when they had guys go down on that side of the ball. They lost like 4 games straight. So yeah, I would take they were performing with "disinterest"

It was more then just guys, it was the top four corners, and all starting four LBs, but in defense of McCarthy here, I dont think 'Disinterest' was ever an issue. Being not good isnt the same as disinterest imo, and I think that is the issue PurpleMustReign has, he perceives the Vikings recent issues not as a lack of talent or ability, but a lack of focus/effort.[/quote]

And it's no different then what happened with this offense. It's nearly impossible for teams to recover from devastating injuries to your key players is my point.

And we all know that the Vikings defense doesnt fall under the "not good" category so why is "disinterest" even being brought up? The Patriots were SHUT OUT by the Buffalo Bills because they were down to their 3rd string QB and looked horrendous. 2 bad games doesnt mean the guys on this team are "disinterested". I don't buy that whatsoever.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:54 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Jordysghost wrote:

It was more then just guys, it was the top four corners, and all starting four LBs, but in defense of McCarthy here, I dont think 'Disinterest' was ever an issue. Being not good isnt the same as disinterest imo, and I think that is the issue PurpleMustReign has, he perceives the Vikings recent issues not as a lack of talent or ability, but a lack of focus/effort.

No, thats not his perception. He said the defense was exposed. And he named a few games. Two of those games which in fact, the defense went stretches where they were completely dominant. The detroit games were a good example of #### just going wrong at the wrong time. The prevent bs at the end of the first game cost them. Up until that point stafford had like 130 yards passing. Second game held them to technically 13 points up until bradfords interception. The philly game was field position and a kickoff td. Phillys offense was hot garbage that game. Dallas offense was hot garbage. Prior to the colts game this defense was ranked i think first in points allowed, second in yardage. This is not being exposed, this is being frustrated and having two huge gaping holes on an otherwise solid defense. Sendejo and munnerlyn, who as far as i'm concerned should both be on the practice squad

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:56 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Jordysghost wrote:
vatusay wrote:

Until he calls you out in a press conference after one bad performance. :whistle:

:roll: Give me a break dude. They asked what areas Barr needed to improve and he said "all". What's he suppose to say?? "No he's a perfectly good player that can't improve anywhere". You and half the other members on this board are blowing that completely out of proportion. He's an old school coach. We all knew he never sugar coated anything. Why is everyone acting like they are shocked with what he said? It's called lighting a fire under a guys butt. If Barr can't take it, he should go play tennis. These guys are grown men. If that "upsets" you as a player and you give no effort, then you don't belong playing this sport. Period.

Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:00 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Boon wrote:
Jordysghost wrote:

No, thats not his perception. He said the defense was exposed. And he named a few games. Two of those games which in fact, the defense went stretches where they were completely dominant. The detroit games were a good example of #### just going wrong at the wrong time. The prevent bs at the end of the first game cost them. Up until that point stafford had like 130 yards passing. Second game held them to technically 13 points up until bradfords interception. The philly game was field position and a kickoff td. Phillys offense was hot garbage that game. Dallas offense was hot garbage. Prior to the colts game this defense was ranked i think first in points allowed, second in yardage. This is not being exposed, this is being frustrated and having two huge gaping holes on an otherwise solid defense. Sendejo and munnerlyn, who as far as i'm concerned should both be on the practice squad

I agree with all of this outside of Munnerlyn. I thought he's played fairly well this year. Sendejo is Sendejo.

As for the stats, I've continued to say this multiple times and somehow it goes in one ear and out the other with some. It was like those stats were lies and we ranked at the bottom of the NFL or something. I guess one drive against Detroit in OT really "exposed" us because outside of that, I have no clue what he is even trying to get to or prove.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:05 am
Packers Suck

Jordysghost wrote:
vatusay wrote:

:roll: Give me a break dude. They asked what areas Barr needed to improve and he said "all". What's he suppose to say?? "No he's a perfectly good player that can't improve anywhere". You and half the other members on this board are blowing that completely out of proportion. He's an old school coach. We all knew he never sugar coated anything. Why is everyone acting like they are shocked with what he said? It's called lighting a fire under a guys butt. If Barr can't take it, he should go play tennis. These guys are grown men. If that "upsets" you as a player and you give no effort, then you don't belong playing this sport. Period.[/quote]

Zimmer makes a habit of springing criticisms on his guys during press conferences, there are better ways to do that and he should be aware of that.

Lombardi was as old school and hardnose as it gets, but im absolutely positive he wouldn't have agreed with such a tactic, he only called out Starr in front of the team once. Causing sudden embarrassment is not a long term strategy for motivation.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:37 am
Packers Suck

Im not concerned about hurting Barrs feelings, I just feel there are better ways to motivate your guys an Zimmer seems to pull this tactic out of his hat at will.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:42 am
Defensive Tackle

Mothman wrote:
Boo hoo.

That comment alone gives me enough reason not to bother reading the rest of your post

Suit yourself but you missed out on some truly amazing, incredible insights, unlike any that have been written here previously. I'm talking about Pulitzer-worthy writing, all in just a few sentences. It was that good. Really. But you missed it.

What a shame.

:tongue:

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:39 am
Hall of Famer

This almost deserves its own thread ...

Lost in all the disappointment of this season is a true bright spot -- Adam Thielen.

He was simply awesome yesterday with 202 yards receiving and 2 TDs. Among his 12 catches were a couple along the sideline that were highlight reel. For the year, he's got 68 receptions and is only 40 yards from eclipsing 1,000.

Of all the guys we've drafted as highly touted receivers -- Patterson, Treadwell, etc., it's this undrafted free agent from Minnesota State who has quietly turned hard work into his role the Vikings No. 1 receiver. That's right, he's GOT to be considered their #1. Who woulda thunk?

Big props to my new favorite Viking.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:25 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Jordysghost wrote:

Zimmer makes a habit of springing criticisms on his guys during press conferences, there are better ways to do that and he should be aware of that.

Lombardi was as old school and hardnose as it gets, but im absolutely positive he wouldn't have agreed with such a tactic, he only called out Starr in front of the team once. Causing sudden embarrassment is not a long term strategy for motivation.

Oh my goodness. He didn't "spring" anything on Barr. The media is the one that brought it up. It's not like he went out of his way the specifically call out Barr. Like I said, you and others have blown this way out of proportion.

And to bring up Lombardi is pretty irrelevant if you ask me. Coaches back then were way more hard nosed and the media outlook back then wasn't even comparable to how it is now

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:55 am
Defensive Tackle

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
This almost deserves its own thread ...

Lost in all the disappointment of this season is a true bright spot -- Adam Thielen.

He was simply awesome yesterday with 202 yards receiving and 2 TDs. Among his 12 catches were a couple along the sideline that were highlight reel. For the year, he's got 68 receptions and is only 40 yards from eclipsing 1,000.

Of all the guys we've drafted as highly touted receivers -- Patterson, Treadwell, etc., it's this undrafted free agent from Minnesota State who has quietly turned hard work into his role the Vikings No. 1 receiver. That's right, he's GOT to be considered their #1. Who woulda thunk?

Big props to my new favorite Viking.

Excellent post. I think this subject does deserve it's own thread.

Thielen's performance has been a welcome surprise this year and his story is definitely one of this season's bright spots. I hope he passes the 1000 yard mark next week.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:18 am
All Pro Elite Player

Here are some stats that may be a little eye opening for those who don't believe we have a problem with the defense. Excluding the first 5 games of the year, for the last 9 games played previous to this weekend (I didn't include this week's games since not all teams have played this week yet), we rank 21st in points allowed and 22nd in yards allowed. Since this doesn't include the stats from yesterday's game against the Packers, I'm sure the rankings won't improve any when all teams are included for this week.

We were definitely in the elite status the first 5 games of the year, but not since then, not even in the top half of the league.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:45 pm
Defensive Tackle

Purple Reign wrote:
Here are some stats that may be a little eye opening for those who don't believe we have a problem with the defense. Excluding the first 5 games of the year, for the last 9 games played previous to this weekend (I didn't include this week's games since not all teams have played this week yet), we rank 21st in points allowed and 22nd in yards allowed. Since this doesn't include the stats from yesterday's game against the Packers, I'm sure the rankings won't improve any when all teams are included for this week.

We were definitely in the elite status the first 5 games of the year, but not since then, not even in the top half of the league.

Wow, that is eye opening. Thanks for the info.

Did you use a particular site or tool to calculate those stats?

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:49 pm
Commissioner

Purple Reign wrote:

That's depressing. You're right about it being a big drop in quality.

What's more, the D seems to have lost its ability to do all the things we clearly saw it doing during the first five games - cause chaos in the opposing team's offensive backfield, create turnovers, play the run, finish strong, and even score TDs. But something has gone wrong. Did other teams figure out what the Vikings D was doing? I don't think the fault is all on the offensive struggles, though they certainly played a part in the team's demise.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:56 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Mothman wrote:
Purple Reign wrote:

Wow, that is eye opening. Thanks for the info.

Did you use a particular site or tool to calculate those stats?

I'm a computer programmer so I just wrote a quick program to add up all the points and yards allowed by each team for those weeks. Stats came from NFL.com. I've got almost every stat for every week/team in a database so it's pretty easy for me to come up with stats analysis.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:02 pm
Defensive Tackle

Purple Reign wrote:
I'm a computer programmer so I just wrote a quick program to add up all the points and yards allowed by each team for those weeks. Stats came from NFL.com. I've got almost every stat for every week/team in a database so it's pretty easy for me to come up with stats analysis.

Cool. Thanks for putting in the effort to come up with those stats.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:28 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Purple Reign wrote:

umm going into the indy game we were first in points and 2nd in yardage? how the hell would we be 22nd?

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:12 am
All Pro Elite Player

Boon wrote:
Purple Reign wrote:

umm going into the indy game we were first in points and 2nd in yardage? how the hell would we be 22nd?

Read the whole post - the ranking is for games 6-14. The ranking you are talking about includes the first 5 games.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:18 am
Hall of Famer

Purple Reign wrote:

Thanks for the stats. It has been pretty clear to me (using the old eye-test) that this defense isn't the same. The last few weeks, there are things we are doing pre-snap that I don't understand. For example, early on in the Colts game, there was a 3rd down play where we went zone and played Munnerlyn 7 yards off - when the yardage was only 4 to gain.

In the Packers game, they went three wide and shaded the back to the weak side of the defense. We remained in base and only had three defenders on the weak side. It was an easy first down for the Packers on the flat pass to the back.

We have a lot of holes to fill this offseason - it is frustrating. :|

Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:50 am
Hall of Famer

I posted this information in the appropriate thread, but though I'd include it here as well (since it was discussed here too)

According to this Link the "mutiny" was blown out of porportion.

Quote:
“Miscommunication” was the buzzword Monday as Vikings cornerbacks Xavier Rhodes and Terence Newman sought to downplay their freestyle coverage of Packers receiver Jordy Nelson as defying coach Mike Zimmer.

Zimmer blamed himself for being too vague with Rhodes and Newman about their shifting assignments and too blunt assessing the pass defense in his news conference after Saturday’s 38-25 playoff-squelching loss at Lambeau Field.

More at the Link.

Last edited by Just Me on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:28 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Purple Reign wrote:
Boon wrote:
Purple Reign wrote:

Read the whole post - the ranking is for games 6-14. The ranking you are talking about includes the first 5 games.

I did read the whole post. Its wrong

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:04 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Boon wrote:
Purple Reign wrote:
Boon wrote:

I did read the whole post. Its wrong

Ok, what do you mean when you say it is wrong? If you take the stats from games 6-14 for points given up and yards given up, we rank 21st and 22nd respectively. I'm curious as to why you would claim that it's wrong.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:42 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Just Me wrote:
I posted this information in the appropriate thread, but though I'd include it here as well (since it was discussed here too)

According to this Link the "mutiny" was blown out of purportion.

Quote:
“Miscommunication” was the buzzword Monday as Vikings cornerbacks Xavier Rhodes and Terence Newman sought to downplay their freestyle coverage of Packers receiver Jordy Nelson as defying coach Mike Zimmer.

Zimmer blamed himself for being too vague with Rhodes and Newman about their shifting assignments and too blunt assessing the pass defense in his news conference after Saturday’s 38-25 playoff-squelching loss at Lambeau Field.

More at the Link.

Maybe a little bit of damage control in play?

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:58 pm
Hall of Famer

Purple Reign wrote:

Honestly, (but I'm pretty cynical at times) that was my first instinct. I'm hoping it was true, however, as the alternative is to believe that the Vikings have some pretty serious internal problems.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:45 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Just Me wrote:
Purple Reign wrote:

Honestly, (but I'm pretty cynical at times) that was my first instinct. I'm hoping it was true, however, as the alternative is to believe that the Vikings have some pretty serious internal problems.

If it was only for a series (as some reports are claiming), how come you don't see Rhodes covering Nelson in any of the highlights of Nelson's first half catches? I tend to put more faith in comments during/immediately following a game rather than several days later when they change their tune.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:48 pm
Site Admin

Purple Reign wrote:

I wonder if teams started catching onto Zimmer's defense? It was about that time that the team really seemed to start having a problem generating QB pressure even via blitz. Or maybe that's just perceived by me.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:15 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Cliff wrote:
Purple Reign wrote:

I wonder if teams started catching onto Zimmer's defense? It was about that time that the team really seemed to start having a problem generating QB pressure even via blitz. Or maybe that's just perceived by me.

I've been saying that since Philly. His defense was exposed. They have more young talent om their defense than 3/4th of the teams out there yet they are getting exponentially worse as the season goes on.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

Purple Reign wrote:
Just Me wrote:
Purple Reign wrote:

If it was only for a series (as some reports are claiming), how come you don't see Rhodes covering Nelson in any of the highlights of Nelson's first half catches? I tend to put more faith in comments during/immediately following a game rather than several days later when they change their tune.

It definitely was for more than "a series".

Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next