Vikes Packers game day thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikes Packers game day thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

vatusay wrote:Think zim would let them get tore up by jordy on purpose knowing they aren't following game plan?

The splits show the brainiacs in the secondary were extremely wrong to go against zimmer.

I don't see him losing the locker room. He Is one of the most respected coaches in the league by anyone that has played for him.
Exactly I've also said this as well. Anyone that's ever been coached by him raves about him.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:

Also, as for Mike McCarthy, his defense looked like an absolute dumpster fire when they had guys go down on that side of the ball. They lost like 4 games straight. So yeah, I would take they were performing with "disinterest"
It was more then just guys, it was the top four corners, and all starting four LBs, but in defense of McCarthy here, I dont think 'Disinterest' was ever an issue. Being not good isnt the same as disinterest imo, and I think that is the issue PurpleMustReign has, he perceives the Vikings recent issues not as a lack of talent or ability, but a lack of focus/effort.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Exactly I've also said this as well. Anyone that's ever been coached by him raves about him.
Until he calls you out in a press conference after one bad performance. :whistle:
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote:

Also, as for Mike McCarthy, his defense looked like an absolute dumpster fire when they had guys go down on that side of the ball. They lost like 4 games straight. So yeah, I would take they were performing with "disinterest"
It was more then just guys, it was the top four corners, and all starting four LBs, but in defense of McCarthy here, I dont think 'Disinterest' was ever an issue. Being not good isnt the same as disinterest imo, and I think that is the issue PurpleMustReign has, he perceives the Vikings recent issues not as a lack of talent or ability, but a lack of focus/effort.[/quote]

And it's no different then what happened with this offense. It's nearly impossible for teams to recover from devastating injuries to your key players is my point.

And we all know that the Vikings defense doesnt fall under the "not good" category so why is "disinterest" even being brought up? The Patriots were SHUT OUT by the Buffalo Bills because they were down to their 3rd string QB and looked horrendous. 2 bad games doesnt mean the guys on this team are "disinterested". I don't buy that whatsoever.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Jordysghost wrote:
It was more then just guys, it was the top four corners, and all starting four LBs, but in defense of McCarthy here, I dont think 'Disinterest' was ever an issue. Being not good isnt the same as disinterest imo, and I think that is the issue PurpleMustReign has, he perceives the Vikings recent issues not as a lack of talent or ability, but a lack of focus/effort.
No, thats not his perception. He said the defense was exposed. And he named a few games. Two of those games which in fact, the defense went stretches where they were completely dominant. The detroit games were a good example of #### just going wrong at the wrong time. The prevent bs at the end of the first game cost them. Up until that point stafford had like 130 yards passing. Second game held them to technically 13 points up until bradfords interception. The philly game was field position and a kickoff td. Phillys offense was hot garbage that game. Dallas offense was hot garbage. Prior to the colts game this defense was ranked i think first in points allowed, second in yardage. This is not being exposed, this is being frustrated and having two huge gaping holes on an otherwise solid defense. Sendejo and munnerlyn, who as far as i'm concerned should both be on the practice squad
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote: Until he calls you out in a press conference after one bad performance. :whistle:
:roll: Give me a break dude. They asked what areas Barr needed to improve and he said "all". What's he suppose to say?? "No he's a perfectly good player that can't improve anywhere". You and half the other members on this board are blowing that completely out of proportion. He's an old school coach. We all knew he never sugar coated anything. Why is everyone acting like they are shocked with what he said? It's called lighting a fire under a guys butt. If Barr can't take it, he should go play tennis. These guys are grown men. If that "upsets" you as a player and you give no effort, then you don't belong playing this sport. Period.
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Boon wrote: No, thats not his perception. He said the defense was exposed. And he named a few games. Two of those games which in fact, the defense went stretches where they were completely dominant. The detroit games were a good example of #### just going wrong at the wrong time. The prevent bs at the end of the first game cost them. Up until that point stafford had like 130 yards passing. Second game held them to technically 13 points up until bradfords interception. The philly game was field position and a kickoff td. Phillys offense was hot garbage that game. Dallas offense was hot garbage. Prior to the colts game this defense was ranked i think first in points allowed, second in yardage. This is not being exposed, this is being frustrated and having two huge gaping holes on an otherwise solid defense. Sendejo and munnerlyn, who as far as i'm concerned should both be on the practice squad
I agree with all of this outside of Munnerlyn. I thought he's played fairly well this year. Sendejo is Sendejo.

As for the stats, I've continued to say this multiple times and somehow it goes in one ear and out the other with some. It was like those stats were lies and we ranked at the bottom of the NFL or something. I guess one drive against Detroit in OT really "exposed" us because outside of that, I have no clue what he is even trying to get to or prove.
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Jordysghost wrote: Until he calls you out in a press conference after one bad performance. :whistle:
:roll: Give me a break dude. They asked what areas Barr needed to improve and he said "all". What's he suppose to say?? "No he's a perfectly good player that can't improve anywhere". You and half the other members on this board are blowing that completely out of proportion. He's an old school coach. We all knew he never sugar coated anything. Why is everyone acting like they are shocked with what he said? It's called lighting a fire under a guys butt. If Barr can't take it, he should go play tennis. These guys are grown men. If that "upsets" you as a player and you give no effort, then you don't belong playing this sport. Period.[/quote]

Zimmer makes a habit of springing criticisms on his guys during press conferences, there are better ways to do that and he should be aware of that.

Lombardi was as old school and hardnose as it gets, but im absolutely positive he wouldn't have agreed with such a tactic, he only called out Starr in front of the team once. Causing sudden embarrassment is not a long term strategy for motivation.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Im not concerned about hurting Barrs feelings, I just feel there are better ways to motivate your guys an Zimmer seems to pull this tactic out of his hat at will.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: That comment alone gives me enough reason not to bother reading the rest of your post
Suit yourself but you missed out on some truly amazing, incredible insights, unlike any that have been written here previously. I'm talking about Pulitzer-worthy writing, all in just a few sentences. It was that good. Really. But you missed it.

What a shame.

:tongue:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

This almost deserves its own thread ...

Lost in all the disappointment of this season is a true bright spot -- Adam Thielen.

He was simply awesome yesterday with 202 yards receiving and 2 TDs. Among his 12 catches were a couple along the sideline that were highlight reel. For the year, he's got 68 receptions and is only 40 yards from eclipsing 1,000.

Of all the guys we've drafted as highly touted receivers -- Patterson, Treadwell, etc., it's this undrafted free agent from Minnesota State who has quietly turned hard work into his role the Vikings No. 1 receiver. That's right, he's GOT to be considered their #1. Who woulda thunk?

Big props to my new favorite Viking.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote:
Zimmer makes a habit of springing criticisms on his guys during press conferences, there are better ways to do that and he should be aware of that.

Lombardi was as old school and hardnose as it gets, but im absolutely positive he wouldn't have agreed with such a tactic, he only called out Starr in front of the team once. Causing sudden embarrassment is not a long term strategy for motivation.
Oh my goodness. He didn't "spring" anything on Barr. The media is the one that brought it up. It's not like he went out of his way the specifically call out Barr. Like I said, you and others have blown this way out of proportion.

And to bring up Lombardi is pretty irrelevant if you ask me. Coaches back then were way more hard nosed and the media outlook back then wasn't even comparable to how it is now
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:This almost deserves its own thread ...

Lost in all the disappointment of this season is a true bright spot -- Adam Thielen.

He was simply awesome yesterday with 202 yards receiving and 2 TDs. Among his 12 catches were a couple along the sideline that were highlight reel. For the year, he's got 68 receptions and is only 40 yards from eclipsing 1,000.

Of all the guys we've drafted as highly touted receivers -- Patterson, Treadwell, etc., it's this undrafted free agent from Minnesota State who has quietly turned hard work into his role the Vikings No. 1 receiver. That's right, he's GOT to be considered their #1. Who woulda thunk?

Big props to my new favorite Viking.

Excellent post. I think this subject does deserve it's own thread.

Thielen's performance has been a welcome surprise this year and his story is definitely one of this season's bright spots. I hope he passes the 1000 yard mark next week.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Here are some stats that may be a little eye opening for those who don't believe we have a problem with the defense. Excluding the first 5 games of the year, for the last 9 games played previous to this weekend (I didn't include this week's games since not all teams have played this week yet), we rank 21st in points allowed and 22nd in yards allowed. Since this doesn't include the stats from yesterday's game against the Packers, I'm sure the rankings won't improve any when all teams are included for this week.

We were definitely in the elite status the first 5 games of the year, but not since then, not even in the top half of the league.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple Reign wrote:Here are some stats that may be a little eye opening for those who don't believe we have a problem with the defense. Excluding the first 5 games of the year, for the last 9 games played previous to this weekend (I didn't include this week's games since not all teams have played this week yet), we rank 21st in points allowed and 22nd in yards allowed. Since this doesn't include the stats from yesterday's game against the Packers, I'm sure the rankings won't improve any when all teams are included for this week.

We were definitely in the elite status the first 5 games of the year, but not since then, not even in the top half of the league.

Wow, that is eye opening. Thanks for the info.

Did you use a particular site or tool to calculate those stats?