Free Agent Offensive Linemen 2017

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Free Agent Offensive Linemen 2017

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

While I realize the season is at least two weeks from being over, let's be realistic ... the season is exactly two weeks from being over.

That means it will soon be time to get busy upgrading the offensive line. As far as I'm concerned, there are no other positions of concern because if we don't improve here, it doesn't matter what we do at other positions.

Here is a list of PFF's top linemen who will potentially be free agents after the season.

Shout it out ... who are you going after?
Pro Football Focus wrote:Terron Armstead, LT, New Orleans Saints
After receiving the starting job late in the 2013 season, Armstead (90.9) has improved each year to become one of the best left tackles in the NFL. In 2015 pass-protection, he recorded a pass-blocking efficiency of 97.2—only bested by Joe Thomas. He’s also improved as a run-blocker each year, with a PFF grade of 92.8 in run-blocking last season, second-best for tackles behind only Dallas’ Tyron Smith. It should only be a matter of time before he makes the Pro Bowl every year.
Pro Football Focus wrote:Ryan Schraeder, RT, Atlanta Falcons
Currently, Schraeder (87.0) is a restricted free agent who was given a second-round tender. Assuming he signs it and doesn’t get a long-term deal, he will be an unrestricted free agent in 2017. Schraeder was our highest-graded right tackle of the 2015 season; he matched Armstead in pass-blocking efficiency (97.2) after allowing just three sacks, two hits, and 20 hurries.
Pro Football Focus wrote:Cordy Glenn, LT, Buffalo Bills
Like [Alshon] Jeffery, Cordy Glenn (85.0) has been given the franchise tag. This means he will either sign a long-term deal with the Bills, or it’s unlikely he will get the franchise tag again. The Bills’ left tackle allowed a sack or hit on one in every 138.8 pass-blocks, which was the second-best rate for left tackles in 2015 (just behind Joe Thomas).
Pro Football Focus wrote:Kevin Zeitler, G, Cincinnati Bengals
After being drafted in the first round in 2012, Zeitler (84.6) has played at least 800 snaps in all four years with the Bengals. Cincinnati picked up his fifth-year option this offseason, which will push him to 2017’s free-agent market. In all four seasons, he has graded above-average as a run-blocker and improved each year. He was the only right guard in 2015 with 500 or more pass-blocks and no sacks allowed.
Pro Football Focus wrote:David DeCastro, RG, Pittsburgh Steelers
While DeCastro (83.4) had a slow start to the season (as well as a slow end), he was the third best guard in football for the middle 12 weeks of the 2015 season, behind only Marshal Yanda and Richie Incognito. He is solid in both run- and pass-blocking situations, and is one of just 10 active guards with a PFF grade above 80.0 in both of those facets of play.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Free Agent Offensive Linemen 2017

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Unfortunately, Armstead, Schraeder, DeCastro and Glenn are all re-signed.

....Well so much for that idea :lol:

Rumor has it Cincy can't afford Zeitler though so thats always a positive. We're going to be forced to sign one tackle on our roster (preferably Kalil) and draft a right tackle is my guess. Unless we give a 35 year old Whitworth a 1 year deal. Another positive is that they are both Cincy guys and they all love Zim
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Here are the updated versions of FA OL.

Tackles: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/tackle/

Guards: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/guard/

Centers: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/center/

Some decent guards and tackles. Especially from a youth perspective. Centers are very weak but that is probably our strength.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Did Sullivan ever re-sign anywhere? I wonder if a full year off helped him heal more.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Did Sullivan ever re-sign anywhere? I wonder if a full year off helped him heal more.
He signed with the Redskins.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Unfortunately, Armstead, Schraeder, DeCastro and Glenn are all re-signed.

....Well so much for that idea :lol:

Rumor has it Cincy can't afford Zeitler though so thats always a positive. We're going to be forced to sign one tackle on our roster (preferably Kalil) and draft a right tackle is my guess. Unless we give a 35 year old Whitworth a 1 year deal. Another positive is that they are both Cincy guys and they all love Zim
Wow guys. My bad. I need to look a little closer!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wow guys. My bad. I need to look a little closer!
:lol: it's alright Kapp! It's a good topic to start anyways. I've looked a lot recently and a lot of these sites aren't updated yet. Spotrac is usually the most up to date.
-Chazz Palminteri
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I would be a Massive fan of bringing in :

LT Riley Reiff as a starter
LT Jake Long as a backup and let Willie Beavers continue to develop to be a quality backup. Beavers supposedly has great athleticism and can be a LT, only knock on him is he's 6'4".

RT Ricky Wagner as a starter

OG Kevin Zeitler to play RG.

We would have to pay a substantial amount for these guys, but I think that we drop all the dead weight OL. Obviously a restructure of AD is inevitable.

Line would be: Reiff, Boone, Easton/Berger, Zeitler, Wagner
I would have Long and Beavers as backup tackles. Fusco and Shepherd as Guards with Berger/Easton at Center.
I would draft 2-3 OL with our first 5 picks in rds 2-4. Add 1 tackle and 1 guard at a minimum... Have to add a center also with Berger getting old.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

IIsweet wrote:I would be a Massive fan of bringing in :

LT Riley Reiff as a starter
LT Jake Long as a backup and let Willie Beavers continue to develop to be a quality backup. Beavers supposedly has great athleticism and can be a LT, only knock on him is he's 6'4".

RT Ricky Wagner as a starter

OG Kevin Zeitler to play RG.

We would have to pay a substantial amount for these guys, but I think that we drop all the dead weight OL. Obviously a restructure of AD is inevitable.

Line would be: Reiff, Boone, Easton/Berger, Zeitler, Wagner
I would have Long and Beavers as backup tackles. Fusco and Shepherd as Guards with Berger/Easton at Center.
I would draft 2-3 OL with our first 5 picks in rds 2-4. Add 1 tackle and 1 guard at a minimum... Have to add a center also with Berger getting old.
I'd rather not try and patch everything up in FA though from a starter standpoint. I like Wagner and Zeitler. It will be interesting to see how much Reiff costs. I'm a big Jordan Mills fan. And he's only 25.

As for AP, I'm leaning toward letting him go. This is a very good RB class this year.
-Chazz Palminteri
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Great class PHP.
Couple things we have to figure out too. Bradford makes $17m next year. Have to find that extra $13m.
I am an AD fan but really, I am a Viking fan and as much as I would hate to see AD on the other sideline, I would rather be building a SB contending team and winning a lot of games next year. Greenway retiring, letting Smith, Kalil, Munnerlyn, Floyd all leave. Robison cut or restructure and Restructure Rudolph should allow us the $$$ for an elite OL, Bradford deal, extend Rhodes, extend CP, and other players.
Vikings have said that they want AD to retire a Viking, but that's not what's best for the team. Think of Emmitt Smith with Arizona, Monana in KC, And the many players wanting to continue but their play couldn't justify the salary...
I would gladly take Mills, Wagner, and Zeitler. All young and trying to put together a great OL long term.
People always say that anyone could gain 1000 yards behind the Dallas OL. So why shouldn't we build one too.
I would still add players in the draft. AND a RB !!!
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Has the idea occurred to anyone that since we don't have a first rounder that Rick will trade up and draft yet another WR?
MERRY CHRISTMAS! !!! :rofl:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Glenn would have been my pick of the that group ...

I think we need all of young guys to Martial arts guys
or Roman style wrestling trainers to learn leverage for
next season. It seems like none of them understand leverage
as it pertains to strength and holding a space. Aikdo or Judo
would fit the bill.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
teddiem
Practice Squad

Post by teddiem »

Need to spend 3+ picks on OL this year. No more DL Zimmer.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

teddiem wrote:Need to spend 3+ picks on OL this year. No more DL Zimmer.
If we let Floyd go, we gotta go DL somewhere e
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: If we let Floyd go, we gotta go DL somewhere e
I would keep Floyd, honestly assuming he is cheap. Just a one or two year dwal for the minimum or just over, with playtime incentives.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018