View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Free Agent Offensive Linemen 2017 
Hall of Famer

Post Free Agent Offensive Linemen 2017
While I realize the season is at least two weeks from being over, let's be realistic ... the season is exactly two weeks from being over.

That means it will soon be time to get busy upgrading the offensive line. As far as I'm concerned, there are no other positions of concern because if we don't improve here, it doesn't matter what we do at other positions.

Here is a list of PFF's top linemen who will potentially be free agents after the season.

Shout it out ... who are you going after?

Pro Football Focus wrote:
Terron Armstead, LT, New Orleans Saints
After receiving the starting job late in the 2013 season, Armstead (90.9) has improved each year to become one of the best left tackles in the NFL. In 2015 pass-protection, he recorded a pass-blocking efficiency of 97.2—only bested by Joe Thomas. He’s also improved as a run-blocker each year, with a PFF grade of 92.8 in run-blocking last season, second-best for tackles behind only Dallas’ Tyron Smith. It should only be a matter of time before he makes the Pro Bowl every year.

Ryan Schraeder, RT, Atlanta Falcons
Currently, Schraeder (87.0) is a restricted free agent who was given a second-round tender. Assuming he signs it and doesn’t get a long-term deal, he will be an unrestricted free agent in 2017. Schraeder was our highest-graded right tackle of the 2015 season; he matched Armstead in pass-blocking efficiency (97.2) after allowing just three sacks, two hits, and 20 hurries.

Cordy Glenn, LT, Buffalo Bills
Like [Alshon] Jeffery, Cordy Glenn (85.0) has been given the franchise tag. This means he will either sign a long-term deal with the Bills, or it’s unlikely he will get the franchise tag again. The Bills’ left tackle allowed a sack or hit on one in every 138.8 pass-blocks, which was the second-best rate for left tackles in 2015 (just behind Joe Thomas).

Kevin Zeitler, G, Cincinnati Bengals
After being drafted in the first round in 2012, Zeitler (84.6) has played at least 800 snaps in all four years with the Bengals. Cincinnati picked up his fifth-year option this offseason, which will push him to 2017’s free-agent market. In all four seasons, he has graded above-average as a run-blocker and improved each year. He was the only right guard in 2015 with 500 or more pass-blocks and no sacks allowed.

David DeCastro, RG, Pittsburgh Steelers
While DeCastro (83.4) had a slow start to the season (as well as a slow end), he was the third best guard in football for the middle 12 weeks of the 2015 season, behind only Marshal Yanda and Richie Incognito. He is solid in both run- and pass-blocking situations, and is one of just 10 active guards with a PFF grade above 80.0 in both of those facets of play.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:35 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post Re: Free Agent Offensive Linemen 2017
Unfortunately, Armstead, Schraeder, DeCastro and Glenn are all re-signed.

....Well so much for that idea :lol:

Rumor has it Cincy can't afford Zeitler though so thats always a positive. We're going to be forced to sign one tackle on our roster (preferably Kalil) and draft a right tackle is my guess. Unless we give a 35 year old Whitworth a 1 year deal. Another positive is that they are both Cincy guys and they all love Zim

Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:15 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Here are the updated versions of FA OL.

Tackles: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/tackle/

Guards: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/guard/

Centers: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/center/

Some decent guards and tackles. Especially from a youth perspective. Centers are very weak but that is probably our strength.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:21 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Did Sullivan ever re-sign anywhere? I wonder if a full year off helped him heal more.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:32 am
Profile YIM WWW
Defensive Tackle

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Did Sullivan ever re-sign anywhere? I wonder if a full year off helped him heal more.

He signed with the Redskins.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:30 am
Hall of Famer

Pondering Her Percy wrote:

Rumor has it Cincy can't afford Zeitler though so thats always a positive. We're going to be forced to sign one tackle on our roster (preferably Kalil) and draft a right tackle is my guess. Unless we give a 35 year old Whitworth a 1 year deal. Another positive is that they are both Cincy guys and they all love Zim

Wow guys. My bad. I need to look a little closer!

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:14 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote:

Wow guys. My bad. I need to look a little closer!

:lol: it's alright Kapp! It's a good topic to start anyways. I've looked a lot recently and a lot of these sites aren't updated yet. Spotrac is usually the most up to date.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:18 am
Transition Player

I would be a Massive fan of bringing in :

LT Riley Reiff as a starter
LT Jake Long as a backup and let Willie Beavers continue to develop to be a quality backup. Beavers supposedly has great athleticism and can be a LT, only knock on him is he's 6'4".

RT Ricky Wagner as a starter

OG Kevin Zeitler to play RG.

We would have to pay a substantial amount for these guys, but I think that we drop all the dead weight OL. Obviously a restructure of AD is inevitable.

Line would be: Reiff, Boone, Easton/Berger, Zeitler, Wagner
I would have Long and Beavers as backup tackles. Fusco and Shepherd as Guards with Berger/Easton at Center.
I would draft 2-3 OL with our first 5 picks in rds 2-4. Add 1 tackle and 1 guard at a minimum... Have to add a center also with Berger getting old.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:49 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

IIsweet wrote:
I would be a Massive fan of bringing in :

LT Riley Reiff as a starter
LT Jake Long as a backup and let Willie Beavers continue to develop to be a quality backup. Beavers supposedly has great athleticism and can be a LT, only knock on him is he's 6'4".

RT Ricky Wagner as a starter

OG Kevin Zeitler to play RG.

We would have to pay a substantial amount for these guys, but I think that we drop all the dead weight OL. Obviously a restructure of AD is inevitable.

Line would be: Reiff, Boone, Easton/Berger, Zeitler, Wagner
I would have Long and Beavers as backup tackles. Fusco and Shepherd as Guards with Berger/Easton at Center.
I would draft 2-3 OL with our first 5 picks in rds 2-4. Add 1 tackle and 1 guard at a minimum... Have to add a center also with Berger getting old.

I'd rather not try and patch everything up in FA though from a starter standpoint. I like Wagner and Zeitler. It will be interesting to see how much Reiff costs. I'm a big Jordan Mills fan. And he's only 25.

As for AP, I'm leaning toward letting him go. This is a very good RB class this year.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:48 am
Transition Player

Great class PHP.
Couple things we have to figure out too. Bradford makes $17m next year. Have to find that extra $13m.
I am an AD fan but really, I am a Viking fan and as much as I would hate to see AD on the other sideline, I would rather be building a SB contending team and winning a lot of games next year. Greenway retiring, letting Smith, Kalil, Munnerlyn, Floyd all leave. Robison cut or restructure and Restructure Rudolph should allow us the $$$ for an elite OL, Bradford deal, extend Rhodes, extend CP, and other players.
Vikings have said that they want AD to retire a Viking, but that's not what's best for the team. Think of Emmitt Smith with Arizona, Monana in KC, And the many players wanting to continue but their play couldn't justify the salary...
I would gladly take Mills, Wagner, and Zeitler. All young and trying to put together a great OL long term.
People always say that anyone could gain 1000 yards behind the Dallas OL. So why shouldn't we build one too.
I would still add players in the draft. AND a RB !!!

Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:28 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Has the idea occurred to anyone that since we don't have a first rounder that Rick will trade up and draft yet another WR?
MERRY CHRISTMAS! !!! :rofl:

Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:54 pm
Strong Safety

Glenn would have been my pick of the that group ...

I think we need all of young guys to Martial arts guys
or Roman style wrestling trainers to learn leverage for
next season. It seems like none of them understand leverage
as it pertains to strength and holding a space. Aikdo or Judo
would fit the bill.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:53 pm
Practice Squad

Need to spend 3+ picks on OL this year. No more DL Zimmer.

Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:16 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

teddiem wrote:

If we let Floyd go, we gotta go DL somewhere e

Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:38 am
Starting Wide Receiver

teddiem wrote:

I would keep Floyd, honestly assuming he is cheap. Just a one or two year dwal for the minimum or just over, with playtime incentives.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee

PurpleMustReign wrote:
teddiem wrote:

I would keep Floyd, honestly assuming he is cheap. Just a one or two year dwal for the minimum or just over, with playtime incentives.

I mean he's not a FA or anything but Zim seems to have gotten sick of him because he's always injured. He's a good player when healthy.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:01 pm
Packers Suck

PurpleMustReign wrote:

I mean he's not a FA or anything but Zim seems to have gotten sick of him because he's always injured. He's a good player when healthy.

Another thing we know due to Zim's propensity to criticize players to the media, this time about injury history no less..

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:05 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Jordysghost wrote:

Another thing we know due to Zim's propensity to criticize players to the media, this time about injury history no less..

Do you ever quit? Or are you just gonna pick apart everything says? Because Mike McCarthy never criticizes playersto the media right? I mean that's what you told me at least.

Quote:
McCarthy: "Four turnovers is totally unacceptable. ... Aaron, Jordy and Ty, you have to take care of the football."

That's after you were thumped by Dallas. Zimmer says a guy needs to improve but gets criticized for it. McCarthy does it and he doesn't get criticized? To call out guys for turnovers like McCarthy did or say a guy needs to play better like Zimmer did, how is that any different? It's not. So I guess your little angel of a coach isn't so quiet in front of the media. You guys act like Zimmer attacked players verbally. He literally said a few guys need to play better. Big fricken deal. If players can't deal with that they shouldn't play this game. And it disgusts me even more that guys like you sit here and criticize it when your own damn coach did "such a terrible thing". These guys are adults. They are football players. Grow the F up if you can't take that. It happens all over the league yet guys single Zim out like he's some a**hole. Once again, always the coaches fault. That's why the players played bad right?? Because the coach is the one covering guys and making the tackles. No these guys have to go out and perform too. It goes both ways.

And please,please don't try and sit here and act like McCarthy is some saint. All these coaches do it. You see it all over rotoworld about coaches bringing up stuff like that

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:27 pm
Rookie

It should be noted Zimmer barely even scratches the surface of ''humiliating'' players. I don't think Jord has heard of Jim Mora. . . Y'know: ''We did diddly-poo offensively''. Who could forget his other gem: ''Playoffs!?''.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:58 am
Packers Suck

Rhodes Closed wrote:
It should be noted Zimmer barely even scratches the surface of ''humiliating'' players. I don't think Jord has heard of Jim Mora. . . Y'know: ''We did diddly-poo offensively''. Who could forget his other gem: ''Playoffs!?''.

That is not the same as calling a player out to the media on an individual basis. Not even close.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:29 pm
Packers Suck

Jordysghost wrote:

Do you ever quit? Or are you just gonna pick apart everything says? Because Mike McCarthy never criticizes playersto the media right? I mean that's what you told me at least.

Quote:
McCarthy: "Four turnovers is totally unacceptable. ... Aaron, Jordy and Ty, you have to take care of the football."

That's after you were thumped by Dallas. Zimmer says a guy needs to improve but gets criticized for it. McCarthy does it and he doesn't get criticized? To call out guys for turnovers like McCarthy did or say a guy needs to play better like Zimmer did, how is that any different? It's not. So I guess your little angel of a coach isn't so quiet in front of the media. You guys act like Zimmer attacked players verbally. He literally said a few guys need to play better. Big fricken deal. If players can't deal with that they shouldn't play this game. And it disgusts me even more that guys like you sit here and criticize it when your own damn coach did "such a terrible thing". These guys are adults. They are football players. Grow the F up if you can't take that. It happens all over the league yet guys single Zim out like he's some a**hole. Once again, always the coaches fault. That's why the players played bad right?? Because the coach is the one covering guys and making the tackles. No these guys have to go out and perform too. It goes both ways.

And please,please don't try and sit here and act like McCarthy is some saint. All these coaches do it. You see it all over rotoworld about coaches bringing up stuff like that

What McCarthy said is far different from putting individual players on blast on a consistent basis (Something McCarthy did not do in your quote).

No, all coaches most certainly do not call players out individually to criticize to the media, certainly not about injury history no less.. There is a difference between 'The O needs to take care of the ball better' and 'Guy played terrible' or 'Guy is an injury prone ####'.

Nobody is saying he shouldnt criticize or motivate his guys! Can you stop acting like there is no in betwen here? There are plenty of ways to get the point across to your players that sudden embarrassment should not be a motivational tactic on a regular basis.

Until Zimmer realizes his silly tactic has been wearing thin on how much his players trust/respect him he can enjoy the repercussions and having players deliberately disobey him and his game plan.

Ive always thought that first and foremost, a coach must be a leader of men, Zimmer has not been that. Not this year.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:38 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Zimmer has been very different this season. Lack of emotion... Making different type of decisions... It just isn't the same guy he was last year. Maybe Parcells has been giving him some bad advice?

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Starting Wide Receiver

On a side note did Parcells ever call out his players?

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Packers Suck

PurpleMustReign wrote:

Sure, but he didn't make running the media to complain about how bad a player of his performed a habit.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:11 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Jordysghost wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

Sure, but he didn't make running the media to complain about how bad a player of his performed a habit.

Yup thats what he did was "run to the media to complain". You hit it right on the head man :roll:

Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:13 pm
Packers Suck

Jordysghost wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

Yup thats what he did was "run to the media to complain". You hit it right on the head man :roll:

He has done this calling out players to media nonsense several times, thats likely what some of the players feel like.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:44 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Guys, please. Give it a rest.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
All Pro Elite Player

10 free agent offensive linemen the Vikings should avoid
It's pretty bad when 2 of our starters is on the avoid list.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/ ... ngs-avoid/

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:37 am
Defensive Tackle

halfgiz wrote:
10 free agent offensive linemen the Vikings should avoid
It's pretty bad when 2 of our starters is on the avoid list.

:lol: It's hard not to laugh at that.

I'm laughing through the tears...

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:40 am
Backup

There is a serious lack of OL talent in the league right now. There are a ton of teams with OL problems of varying degree. What that means is that it isn't often that quality offensive linemen are allowed to hit the open market, and when they do they come at a premium.

My guess is that Kevin Zeitler, Ricky Wagner, and T.J. Lang are all extended before the market opens. Others will be also, but I'm less confident about who that would be (e.g. Brian Winters just signed an extension with the Jets).

The guys who I think have a real shot at being available and who would upgrade the line include:

Andrew Whitworth: Age likely means he's out in Cincy, but he's still a top end left tackle.

Larry Warford: His play in DET has been up and down, but he's reportedly going to be allowed to test the market. Something about him makes me worry that he's the time that would get paid and then check out.

J.C. Tretter: Quality young offensive lineman who can play guard and center.

Ronald Leary: He's been significantly better than the more highly touted La'el Collins, but cap money

Riley Reiff: Reiff is due to get overpaid given that he's an OT with experience on the left and right side and is generally serviceable, if not outstanding. That said, the Vikings need new starters on both sides so it might be in their interest to overpay.

Mike Remmers: He's a step down from Reiff, and strictly a RT, but he might be a stop gap option.

Chance Warmack: Generally considered to be a huge bust, Warmack has still had stretches of competent play. He may be a good buy low candidate.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next