Interview that nearly ended Zimmer’s head-coaching dream

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Interview that nearly ended Zimmer’s head-coaching dream

Post by Mothman »

This article was shared in a thread on the board back when it was first published (in October) but it's worth another look. Quite a bit has changed since the article was published.

The interview that nearly ended Mike Zimmer’s head-coaching dream
Zimmer started the interview with the AFC team’s four decision-makers, and over the course of five hours he came across as smart, experienced and likable. He wanted to draft and develop a quarterback, planned to have one of the league’s most ferocious and unpredictable defenses. After a few hours they took a break. “That was way better,” the former executive recently recalled thinking, “than what we thought.”

When they resumed, someone lobbed the question toward Zimmer. It seemed easy enough: If you get the job, who do you have in mind for the coaching staff?

Zimmer wouldn’t answer the question. He said he hadn’t thought about it. They pressed him. Still nothing.

Fine, the former executive said they allowed, how about a window into his philosophy — just something to indicate how he’d run their team and build his staff.

Nope, the personnel man would remember; Zimmer wouldn’t go there. He just kept saying he’d figure it out.

“What does that tell us?” the former executive recalled thinking. “It was just kind of unsettling.”

Zimmer finished the interview and headed back to Cincinnati. The four men gathered, and it didn’t take long before the exchange about his staff came up. Had Zimmer truly not thought about who he might hire, or even what kind of coaches he might target? Was he being evasive, potentially fearful of giving the wrong answer?

The men in that room couldn’t get past it. It left a sour taste that no amount of experience or leadership could wash away. Within a few hours, the team had eliminated Zimmer from consideration. “I don’t know how you get over that,” the former executive said. “To this day, I really don’t know why he wouldn’t” answer the question.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Interview that nearly ended Zimmer’s head-coaching dream

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:This article was shared in a thread on the board back when it was first published (in October) but it's worth another look. Quite a bit has changed since the article was published.

The interview that nearly ended Mike Zimmer’s head-coaching dream
I hope they fire him and just complete the gutting process. Bring in the wrecking balls.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Holzberg
Practice Squad

Post by Holzberg »

After the Colts game, Zim blamed the players for not playing hard and he had no emotion during the press conference. When the entire team plays that bad then it is more than just the players. Zim refused to adjust and get pressure on Luck and showed no emotion on the sideline as well. I had great respect for Zim, but after this game and his press conference I have lost all of it because he blamed the players and left none for himself. That's a quick way to lose your team. He is a great defensive coordinator, but that's all this team has done and the other phases have suffered. As soon as we lost to the Eagles, all the focus shifted on to the offense and week after week the defense suffered more and more. The Colts game is when all hell broke loose. I would offer Zim a DC job or show him the door. Take some responsibility Zim!
w_huisman
Transition Player

Post by w_huisman »

I wondered during the game if Zimmer is REQUIRED to stay calm due to his eye issues.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

w_huisman wrote:I wondered during the game if Zimmer is REQUIRED to stay calm due to his eye issues.
Good point. That seems likely.
Holzberg
Practice Squad

Post by Holzberg »

Colts game wasn't the only game that Zimmer was unemotional.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Holzberg wrote:After the Colts game, Zim blamed the players for not playing hard and he had no emotion during the press conference. When the entire team plays that bad then it is more than just the players. Zim refused to adjust and get pressure on Luck and showed no emotion on the sideline as well. I had great respect for Zim, but after this game and his press conference I have lost all of it because he blamed the players and left none for himself. That's a quick way to lose your team. He is a great defensive coordinator, but that's all this team has done and the other phases have suffered. As soon as we lost to the Eagles, all the focus shifted on to the offense and week after week the defense suffered more and more. The Colts game is when all hell broke loose. I would offer Zim a DC job or show him the door. Take some responsibility Zim!
With all due respect, knocking Zimmer for accountability is a very head scratching comment. I think there are things to be critical of in his tenure but holding himself accountable is something he does on a weekly basis. He has frequently said he has made the wrong call or called out the wrong protection. As much as Zimmer may throw players under the bus, or what is perceived as so, he is equally if not more willing to be very vocal when he feels it was his fault. More so than any coach I've ever encountered.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I'm beginning to wonder if Zimmer is similar to Wade Phillips. An excellent defensive coordinator but not a great head coach. Lets see how of if he fixes things in the offseason.
I imagine Zimmer is just beat down from the season and all his eye problems.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I'm disappointed in this team. I'm disappointed in this season -- in another post, I've said it's the most disappointing season in my nearly 50 years as a Vikings fan. Maybe I was delusional, but I honestly believed we were getting close. I thought we would contend this year. It sickens me to watch this team lose 7 of 9, and Mike Zimmer gets his fair share of the blame for this team falling on its face.

But dredging up articles about past interviews doesn't change the fact Mike Zimmer took a 3-13 team and led them to a division championship in two years. It doesn't change the fact that this team was predicted by many experts before this season to truly contend. And it doesn't change the fact that legions of current and former players say they would jump off a bridge for the guy.

Mike Zimmer is not going to be fired.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I'm disappointed in this team. I'm disappointed in this season -- in another post, I've said it's the most disappointing season in my nearly 50 years as a Vikings fan. Maybe I was delusional, but I honestly believed we were getting close. I thought we would contend this year. It sickens me to watch this team lose 7 of 9, and Mike Zimmer gets his fair share of the blame for this team falling on its face.

But dredging up articles about past interviews doesn't change the fact Mike Zimmer took a 3-13 team and led them to a division championship in two years. It doesn't change the fact that this team was predicted by many experts before this season to truly contend. And it doesn't change the fact that legions of current and former players say they would jump off a bridge for the guy.

Mike Zimmer is not going to be fired.
No, he's not and he shouldn't be fired. That wasn't the point of this thread so I hope that's not what people are taking away from it.

I don't know what the future holds for Zimmer. I posted this article again because I think it's worth looking back at the anecdote I quoted and it's worth considering the attitude Zimmer apparently displayed in interviews, an attitude that prevented him from getting a number of head coaching jobs over the years. I think it provides insight into what's gone wrong thus far under Zimmer. When asked how he would run a team and build his staff, he kept saying "he'd figure it out" and it looks to me like that's the level of vision he brought to Minnesota. He came in as a defensive coordinator and he's basically coached the team like one, developing and coaching the defense with confidence and showing little, if any, real vision for the offense beyond riding on Adrian Peterson's back. That lack of vision has been costly.

It's time for him to "figure it out" or eventually, he really will need to be replaced.

As an aside, you mixed up a couple of seasons above. Mike Zimmer didn't inherit a 3-13 team.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

It's time for him to "figure it out" or eventually, he really will need to be replaced.
Seems like he's the least of this teams issues. GM, offensive coaching staff. Scouts. Injuries. Overpaid players. etc etc...
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote: Seems like he's the least of this teams issues. GM, offensive coaching staff. Scouts. Injuries. Overpaid players. etc etc...
The offensive coaching staff are his staff and as the head coach the offense is his problem.

He's definitely not the least of the team's issues. He plays a central role in those issues.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Demi wrote: Seems like he's the least of this teams issues. GM, offensive coaching staff. Scouts. Injuries. Overpaid players. etc etc...
And the GM won't be fired. The offensive coaching staff will be tweaked, but not gutted. Some overpaid players will stick around. In short, I am not expecting too much to change.

I fear the Wilfs' have the victim/excuse mentality. Meaning, 2016 was abbreviation in their eyes - not the result of poor implementation on an organizational level.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: I hope they fire him and just complete the gutting process. Bring in the wrecking balls.
Ridiculous comment #15 of the week :appl:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:

And the GM won't be fired. The offensive coaching staff will be tweaked, but not gutted. Some overpaid players will stick around. In short, I am not expecting too much to change.

I fear the Wilfs' have the victim/excuse mentality. Meaning, 2016 was abbreviation in their eyes - not the result of poor implementation on an organizational level.
This defense has next to no holes across the board. Which allows us to focus more on the OL this offseason. I highly doubt with the way this season went they don't make a good amount of changes to this OL.
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri