Interview that nearly ended Zimmer’s head-coaching dream

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Interview that nearly ended Zimmer’s head-coaching dream

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote: Plenty. What did Turner want to do? I don't think we should just assume it's what he was doing. he undoubtedly understood there were personnel issues on the offense too. Maybe he had very adjustments in mind.

When Turner left, he played politician and said he felt he was "holding them back from things all getting on the same page. I don't want anyone to think I was bailing. It just wasn't working." He also said '"It's something people may not understand," Turner said. "It's not me against somebody else. The situation was such ... I don't think I could get done the things we needed to get done. It wasn't something you just wake up and decide. It's been building. It wasn't going to work with me. So let me get out of the way and let them have a chance to make it work."

I think there's more than one way to interpret that. I also think he may have been undermined by the hiring of Shurmur, who has been a dink n' dunk playcaller his whole career, something that fits with Zimmer's apparently conservative offensive philosophy. Turner's stint with the Vikings was atypical of his career. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, it was the poorest offensive stretch of his career as a coordinator and head coach. After he left, the Vikings doubled down on conservative playcalling. Some of that was obviously due to OL limitations but when I read between the lines of his comments and compare his time in MIN to what he did elsewhere, I have to wonder if he wasn't handcuffed a bit not only by personnel but by conservative coaching philosophy. That's what his statement implies to me: he wasn't going to be allowed to do what he thought was necessary to make the offense work.

That's speculation, too, of course, but it would be nice to know what if anything, Turner was proposing to address the Vikings issues on offense.
:lol: No, that's not it.
As always, especially when it comes to Spielman and Zimmer, I'll end it with agree to disagree :D
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:As always, especially when it comes to Spielman and Zimmer, I'll end it with agree to disagree :D
Fair enough. Have a good holiday, Mike! Let's hope the Vikings kick it off with a win tomorrow.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote: Fair enough. Have a good holiday, Mike! Let's hope the Vikings kick it off with a win tomorrow.
You too Jim!! I keep forgetting the game is tomorrow. Not use to this Saturday thing :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: You too Jim!! I keep forgetting the game is tomorrow. Not use to this Saturday thing :lol:

Same here. I hope I actually remember tomorrow!
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Im really digging the game on a short week. Love football man, Packers and football in general have helped me through some hard times. :D
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011