They flat out gave up

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: They flat out gave up

Post by losperros »

Laserman wrote:it's a good thing we don't play cleveland. Could you imagine losing to them this season? We surely could lose to them too.
Sure we could. Right now the Vikings could hopelessly flail their way to a loss through any game against any team.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Mothman wrote:
Thanks.

Can someone post the pertinent quote from the article for me? I can't read it. I've used up my free Strib articles for the month.

He was asked if he considered Norv a friend. He said no, not now, but maybe a long time from now. Or something to that effect.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:
He was asked if he considered Norv a friend. He said no, not now, but maybe a long time from now. Or something to that effect.

Thanks.

That's a bit disappointing to read but Zimmer's obviously a pretty emotional guy so I can understand why he might feel that way.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

what was there to "quit" on?

THis team was going nowhere....Norv is old....there was nothing to accomplish here with this joke of an OL......

Moreover, if Zim is a real Head Coach, he should have shown some tiny bit of Offensive skill/conciousness.......he has proven clueless.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: Thanks.

That's a bit disappointing to read but Zimmer's obviously a pretty emotional guy so I can understand why he might feel that way.
I can understand it, too. If Zimmer feels Norv abruptly quit at a time when the team was losing (and maybe Zimmer felt he needed Norv more than ever), then it probably would seem as if Turner abandoned the offense.

We may never know the full story behind it.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

At this point I am honestly thinking our best case would be for Zimmer to take over the DC role for "health reasons" and find a new head coach.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

IrishViking wrote:At this point I am honestly thinking our best case would be for Zimmer to take over the DC role for "health reasons" and find a new head coach.
My vote is for Bobby Petrino.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote:
Thanks.

Can someone post the pertinent quote from the article for me? I can't read it. I've used up my free Strib articles for the month.
Article wrote:There was one thing that happened this year that Zimmer doesn’t joke or laugh about. It came Nov. 2, when offensive coordinator Norv Turner walked into his office, sat down in the corner chair and resigned.

“It was shocking,” Zimmer said. “We talked for a while. I don’t know that I really tried to talk him out of it. It bothered me because I thought he was a friend of mine. So that’s what bothered me the most.”

Does Zimmer still consider Turner a friend?

“Do I think he’s a friend of mine? Not today,” Zimmer said. “Maybe years from now.”
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I was excited to see AD back on the field on Sunday but I'm definitely over it and over him. The team might be over him, too. Now he's saying he's unsure if he'll play at GB? Just because we are most likely out of the playoff race? If he's healthy he should be playing regardless of where we sit in the standings. If he's healthy and doesn't want to play - hang it up, man. Terrible way to treat a fan base. It'll be fitting if he retires or goes somewhere else this offseason and his final play with us was a tide turning fumble.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

TSonn wrote:I was excited to see AD back on the field on Sunday but I'm definitely over it and over him. The team might be over him, too. Now he's saying he's unsure if he'll play at GB? Just because we are most likely out of the playoff race? If he's healthy he should be playing regardless of where we sit in the standings. If he's healthy and doesn't want to play - hang it up, man. Terrible way to treat a fan base. It'll be fitting if he retires or goes somewhere else this offseason and his final play with us was a tide turning fumble.
That wouldn't be fitting, it would be a shame.

He said he wants to play vs. GB but he's unsure if he'll play because he's banged up. He didn't practice today because he's nursing knee and groin injuries, the kind of injuries that occur when a player comes back from a significant injury quickly, tries to help his team by playing even though he hasn't had much practice or contact for months, and takes some hits.

Fighting back from an injury to play: that really is a terrible way to treat a fan base.

At this point, it's the fan base that seems to treat peterson terribly. There certainly seems to be little appreciation for the fact that without him, they probably wouldn't have had even the two playoff seasons they've managed in the last 7 years (perhaps not the two before that either).

It's also possible the Vikings simply won't want to play him the rest of the season because it could cost them a significant amount of money if he were to suffer a more lasting injury.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: At this point, it's the fan base that seems to treat peterson terribly.
Yeah, this fan base already ruined its relationship with Peterson duiring his season long suspension. In fact, this is a terrible fan base generally from the players point of view.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:
Thanks for posting that, Cliff.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

Poor Adrian! The fan base doesn't owe him squat! If I remember correctly the last two playoff games he played in his fumble's where VERY impactful to the outcome of the games! Remember the fumble fest in the 2009 NFC championship game! Those where the two biggest games of his career and he flopped! On top of that, with his selfish actions and child abuse debacle where he had the nerve to paint himself as victim, he lost the fan base himself!!!! I blame the Wilf's for giving into his selfish ways!! On the Adrian subject I have to wonder what Belichick would have done? Nobody is bigger than the team....my guess is Belichick would have traded him during the 13' season when his trade value was still high and maximized the return. He was an aging back coming off a great year..... already had 2 major knee's and several other injuries....an overall high mileage back.. I believe if Zimmer had his way he would have been gone a long time ago. Now he is effecting the rest of the team.....he has to go!!! Enough is Enough of his crap already.....nobody is bigger than the team!!
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Mothman wrote: That wouldn't be fitting, it would be a shame.

He said he wants to play vs. GB but he's unsure if he'll play because he's banged up. He didn't practice today because he's nursing knee and groin injuries, the kind of injuries that occur when a player comes back from a significant injury quickly, tries to help his team by playing even though he hasn't had much practice or contact for months, and takes some hits.

Fighting back from an injury to play: that really is a terrible way to treat a fan base.

At this point, it's the fan base that seems to treat peterson terribly. There certainly seems to be little appreciation for the fact that without him, they probably wouldn't have had even the two playoff seasons they've managed in the last 7 years (perhaps not the two before that either).

It's also possible the Vikings simply won't want to play him the rest of the season because it could cost them a significant amount of money if he were to suffer a more lasting injury.
It would be fitting only in the sense that despite AD being the main reason we made it to the playoffs 2 seasons, the other 2 times he had some significant fumbles that came at terrible times which, maybe not completely directly, led to disappointing losses.

I don't think it's too far of a stretch to suggest he doesn't want to play the rest of this season because the Vikes are out of the playoffs since the man said it himself a week ago. Sure seems like he wanted to come back to help the team last Sunday, figured out the team is in rough shape, and now is using being "banged up" from his 6 carries last week as a reason to not play the rest of the season.

I appreciate AD for being the foundation of this team for the past decade and the amazing years, games, and runs he's had. But he's had some head-scratching moments throughout that same tenure and his comments from last week make me skeptical of his intentions now. I also think it probably ticks off some of his teammates as well because they are getting banged up each week and still playing despite not being 100%.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Zimmer sure didn't look very excited to be talking about AD missing the final game during his presser today.