View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:51 pm



Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 They flat out gave up 
Author Message
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:36 pm
Posts: 280
Location: Bradford, UK
Post They flat out gave up
Here's my take on Sunday. Which i'm sure isn't echo-ed by everyone, but here it is anyway.
We flat out didn't care. None of those players turned up and fought for the future of this season. I think we can all agree on that. Anyone blaming the blowout on "injuries" or "coaching decisions" need to take those rose tinted spectacles off, because there was zero effort shown on Sunday.
And as far as the future goes, this worries me. If the atmosphere in the changing room is like this now, who says it won't be the same next season.
I've been unfortunate to watch this team for over 20 years now, and can honestly say i cant remember the last time the team lacked character. Talent, oh yes! Lack of character, not in the Vikings vocabulary, in my point of view. (even the Tampa blowout was talent/coaching related)
I find it very hard to cheer on a team with obvious talent, not giving a damn.

Teams only play like that usually when they want someone gone. I can't see that being Zimmer. they seem to rally round him constantly, so the eyes are drawn in another direction.
I find it not just a coincidence that the game they gave up the season, is the game #28 was calling the shots on. I was pretty certain i didn't want to see AD back next season. That last game just confirmed it. He's a 32 year old running back who plays by his own rules, and on top of that seems like he could be the contributing factor to the teams current lack of morale.
AD was great for us. and i hope we retire the #28 someday. He was a great servant to the club. But, that day is gone and the Viking need to move away from his shadow. I also believe we need a new start at some of the coaching spots (Offence, O-line etc). Lets start next year with a relatively clean slate and a team full of talent.

What i saw on sunday, has made me do something i thought i'd never do. I will be missing the game on sunday. As far as this season is concerned, it is over for me. Time to look forward to the Jags. I'm certainly not going to waste my Christmas Eve 6pm, watching Aaron Rodgers tear our Defence running at half speed apart. It will be ugly, and not because they have a more talented side, but because the players have given up.


Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:48 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm
Posts: 978
Post Re: They flat out gave up
I agree with your point of view. I just can't see them turning a switch on and being competitive against GB. I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall (great ac/dc song btw) in the facility this week because there could be some career changing conversations going on. Time will tell.


Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:27 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3433
Post Re: They flat out gave up
UKno1VIKING wrote:
Here's my take on Sunday. Which i'm sure isn't echo-ed by everyone, but here it is anyway.
We flat out didn't care. None of those players turned up and fought for the future of this season. I think we can all agree on that. Anyone blaming the blowout on "injuries" or "coaching decisions" need to take those rose tinted spectacles off, because there was zero effort shown on Sunday.
And as far as the future goes, this worries me. If the atmosphere in the changing room is like this now, who says it won't be the same next season.
I've been unfortunate to watch this team for over 20 years now, and can honestly say i cant remember the last time the team lacked character. Talent, oh yes! Lack of character, not in the Vikings vocabulary, in my point of view. (even the Tampa blowout was talent/coaching related)
I find it very hard to cheer on a team with obvious talent, not giving a damn.

Teams only play like that usually when they want someone gone. I can't see that being Zimmer. they seem to rally round him constantly, so the eyes are drawn in another direction.
I find it not just a coincidence that the game they gave up the season, is the game #28 was calling the shots on. I was pretty certain i didn't want to see AD back next season. That last game just confirmed it. He's a 32 year old running back who plays by his own rules, and on top of that seems like he could be the contributing factor to the teams current lack of morale.
AD was great for us. and i hope we retire the #28 someday. He was a great servant to the club. But, that day is gone and the Viking need to move away from his shadow. I also believe we need a new start at some of the coaching spots (Offence, O-line etc). Lets start next year with a relatively clean slate and a team full of talent.

What i saw on sunday, has made me do something i thought i'd never do. I will be missing the game on sunday. As far as this season is concerned, it is over for me. Time to look forward to the Jags. I'm certainly not going to waste my Christmas Eve 6pm, watching Aaron Rodgers tear our Defence running at half speed apart. It will be ugly, and not because they have a more talented side, but because the players have given up.



I got the same sense on the lack of effort. I'm less convinced about the whole team trying less hard because of AD's presence, but I do think that AD's Viking ship has sailed and the reason for that sentiment was on very clear display on Sunday. I do believe that he ultimately hurts our offense because of his faults and because he causes us to feature him on offense even when that isn't in our best interest. I absolutely believe that our real problems with the running game are OL. If I were GM, I'd target a RB in round 3 or 4 of the upcoming draft, which is said to be deep at the position. We need a guy that can do it all: solid workhorse that can get a yard when you need it, pass pro, can catch the ball. Having to change personnel is a huge issue because it ultimately turns into a tell for the opposing D. We have handled the position by committee and D's can see clearly by which member of the committee is on the field what we are going to do.

It's time to move on from AD.

I'm also concerned about Zimmer. He looks and sounds like a man who no longer truly believes in his own message. When Teddy and AD went down he rallied the troops by saying: "no one in the league will feel sorry for us, and we won't either. We have to keep fighting." He could only say that and believe it for so long. After the injuries piled up, Norv--previously his good friend, whom he now says he no longer considers a friend--abandons him, he has an eye issue that poses the threat of blindness in one eye and makes him miss a game (huge emotional deal for him and his family) etc. etc. I see him as Job from the Old Testament. He is questioning his own faith in himself and is in an existential eddy. In Mexico, the shamans would suggest he get a cleansing to clear his bad mojo.


Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:52 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: They flat out gave up
Texas Vike wrote:
I'm also concerned about Zimmer. He looks and sounds like a man who no longer truly believes in his own message. When Teddy and AD went down he rallied the troops by saying: "no one in the league will feel sorry for us, and we won't either. We have to keep fighting." He could only say that and believe it for so long. After the injuries piled up, Norv--previously his good friend, whom he now says he no longer considers a friend--abandons him, he has an eye issue that poses the threat of blindness in one eye and makes him miss a game (huge emotional deal for him and his family) etc. etc. I see him as Job from the Old Testament. He is questioning his own faith in himself and is in an existential eddy. In Mexico, the shamans would suggest he get a cleansing to clear his bad mojo.


Wow, I missed that! When did Zimmer say he no longer considers Norv a friend?


Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:56 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3217
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: They flat out gave up
It is in one of the interview stories posted on here recently Jim. To me it comes across as Zimmer feels like Norv quit on the team. If any of you recall Zimmer's well publicized views on Bobby Petrino, then his statements here are only surprising in how restrained they are.

Update: Here is the link. http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer- ... 407252856/

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:14 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3433
Post Re: They flat out gave up
mansquatch wrote:
It is in one of the interview stories posted on here recently Jim. To me it comes across as Zimmer feels like Norv quit on the team. If any of you recall Zimmer's well publicized views on Bobby Petrino, then his statements here are only surprising in how restrained they are.

Update: Here is the link. http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer- ... 407252856/



Yeah, I posted that in a thread I made for it. Totally worthwhile read--very insightful about where Zim's head is at right now. It's been a damn tough season for him.


Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:25 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: They flat out gave up
mansquatch wrote:
It is in one of the interview stories posted on here recently Jim. To me it comes across as Zimmer feels like Norv quit on the team. If any of you recall Zimmer's well publicized views on Bobby Petrino, then his statements here are only surprising in how restrained they are.

Update: Here is the link. http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer- ... 407252856/



Thanks.

Can someone post the pertinent quote from the article for me? I can't read it. I've used up my free Strib articles for the month.


Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:33 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3225
Post Re: They flat out gave up
Its not the conventional opinion, but I think losing Norv was a huge blow to this franchise. There must have been some pretty fundamental disagreements about how to proceed on the offensive side of the ball for Norv to just walk out the door.


Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:41 pm
Profile
Practice Squad

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 18
Post Re: They flat out gave up
UKno1VIKING wrote:
Here's my take on Sunday. Which i'm sure isn't echo-ed by everyone, but here it is anyway.
We flat out didn't care. None of those players turned up and fought for the future of this season. I think we can all agree on that. Anyone blaming the blowout on "injuries" or "coaching decisions" need to take those rose tinted spectacles off, because there was zero effort shown on Sunday.
And as far as the future goes, this worries me. If the atmosphere in the changing room is like this now, who says it won't be the same next season.
I've been unfortunate to watch this team for over 20 years now, and can honestly say i cant remember the last time the team lacked character. Talent, oh yes! Lack of character, not in the Vikings vocabulary, in my point of view. (even the Tampa blowout was talent/coaching related)
I find it very hard to cheer on a team with obvious talent, not giving a damn.

Teams only play like that usually when they want someone gone. I can't see that being Zimmer. they seem to rally round him constantly, so the eyes are drawn in another direction.
I find it not just a coincidence that the game they gave up the season, is the game #28 was calling the shots on. I was pretty certain i didn't want to see AD back next season. That last game just confirmed it. He's a 32 year old running back who plays by his own rules, and on top of that seems like he could be the contributing factor to the teams current lack of morale.
AD was great for us. and i hope we retire the #28 someday. He was a great servant to the club. But, that day is gone and the Viking need to move away from his shadow. I also believe we need a new start at some of the coaching spots (Offence, O-line etc). Lets start next year with a relatively clean slate and a team full of talent.

What i saw on sunday, has made me do something i thought i'd never do. I will be missing the game on sunday. As far as this season is concerned, it is over for me. Time to look forward to the Jags. I'm certainly not going to waste my Christmas Eve 6pm, watching Aaron Rodgers tear our Defence running at half speed apart. It will be ugly, and not because they have a more talented side, but because the players have given up.

this team played to their best ability,when the money is on the line they suck...they aren't that good....they didn't give up.when your on a team you want to win,period.stop making excuses....for this pathetic loser team...


Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:01 pm
Profile
Practice Squad

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 18
Post Re: They flat out gave up
fiestavike wrote:
Its not the conventional opinion, but I think losing Norv was a huge blow to this franchise. There must have been some pretty fundamental disagreements about how to proceed on the offensive side of the ball for Norv to just walk out the door.

Norv saw the writing on the wall and bolted....I don't blame him at all.


Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:02 pm
Profile
Practice Squad

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 18
Post Re: They flat out gave up
fiestavike wrote:
Its not the conventional opinion, but I think losing Norv was a huge blow to this franchise. There must have been some pretty fundamental disagreements about how to proceed on the offensive side of the ball for Norv to just walk out the door.
they didn't give up,got blown out.


Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:03 pm
Profile
Practice Squad

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 18
Post Re: They flat out gave up
magster wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
Its not the conventional opinion, but I think losing Norv was a huge blow to this franchise. There must have been some pretty fundamental disagreements about how to proceed on the offensive side of the ball for Norv to just walk out the door.
they didn't give up,got blown out.

I really wonder who would win?????????????????????????????????????????????????? Minny or cleveland???????
think about it,it might keep you up all night...


Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:06 pm
Profile
Practice Squad

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:16 am
Posts: 25
Post Re: They flat out gave up
magster wrote:
magster wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
Its not the conventional opinion, but I think losing Norv was a huge blow to this franchise. There must have been some pretty fundamental disagreements about how to proceed on the offensive side of the ball for Norv to just walk out the door.
they didn't give up,got blown out.

I really wonder who would win?????????????????????????????????????????????????? Minny or cleveland???????
think about it,it might keep you up all night...

We will find out next year in England.


Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:59 pm
Profile
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:36 pm
Posts: 280
Location: Bradford, UK
Post Re: They flat out gave up
magster wrote:
UKno1VIKING wrote:
Here's my take on Sunday. Which i'm sure isn't echo-ed by everyone, but here it is anyway.
We flat out didn't care. None of those players turned up and fought for the future of this season. I think we can all agree on that. Anyone blaming the blowout on "injuries" or "coaching decisions" need to take those rose tinted spectacles off, because there was zero effort shown on Sunday.
And as far as the future goes, this worries me. If the atmosphere in the changing room is like this now, who says it won't be the same next season.
I've been unfortunate to watch this team for over 20 years now, and can honestly say i cant remember the last time the team lacked character. Talent, oh yes! Lack of character, not in the Vikings vocabulary, in my point of view. (even the Tampa blowout was talent/coaching related)
I find it very hard to cheer on a team with obvious talent, not giving a damn.

Teams only play like that usually when they want someone gone. I can't see that being Zimmer. they seem to rally round him constantly, so the eyes are drawn in another direction.
I find it not just a coincidence that the game they gave up the season, is the game #28 was calling the shots on. I was pretty certain i didn't want to see AD back next season. That last game just confirmed it. He's a 32 year old running back who plays by his own rules, and on top of that seems like he could be the contributing factor to the teams current lack of morale.
AD was great for us. and i hope we retire the #28 someday. He was a great servant to the club. But, that day is gone and the Viking need to move away from his shadow. I also believe we need a new start at some of the coaching spots (Offence, O-line etc). Lets start next year with a relatively clean slate and a team full of talent.

What i saw on sunday, has made me do something i thought i'd never do. I will be missing the game on sunday. As far as this season is concerned, it is over for me. Time to look forward to the Jags. I'm certainly not going to waste my Christmas Eve 6pm, watching Aaron Rodgers tear our Defence running at half speed apart. It will be ugly, and not because they have a more talented side, but because the players have given up.

this team played to their best ability,when the money is on the line they suck...they aren't that good....they didn't give up.when your on a team you want to win,period.stop making excuses....for this pathetic loser team...


I think you're being slightly over dramatic. Losing games at important times is what we do. And have done ever since a started watching this team.
However, there is no doubt that this team has talent all over the field. we just cant seem to catch a break this year. And the return of the poisoned pill, seems to have been the last straw for this team. I've never seen the D so slack in a long time on Sunday. They can't all have a collectively bad game. Something more sinister is happening in that club, and it concerns me. If it's just the AD thing, then that's a blessing, that that's all it is. He's gone at the end of this season.
If the teams given up on Zim, then i'm worried for the future. I doubt that though.

However, I will be missing my first game on Sunday for a very long time. It's not worth the earache watching them running at 3/4 pace and getting bullied by 'Not in my house' and Co, 6pm UK on Xmas eve. Plus, seeing smug cheese-heads might just involve me ruining Christmas day for everyone.


Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:47 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:13 am
Posts: 7197
Location: Ft Walton Beach, Florida
Post Re: They flat out gave up
it's a good thing we don't play cleveland. Could you imagine losing to them this season? We surely could lose to them too.


Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:20 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Posts: 10040
Location: Burbank, California
Post Re: They flat out gave up
Laserman wrote:
it's a good thing we don't play cleveland. Could you imagine losing to them this season? We surely could lose to them too.


Sure we could. Right now the Vikings could hopelessly flail their way to a loss through any game against any team.


Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:48 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3217
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: They flat out gave up
Mothman wrote:
mansquatch wrote:
It is in one of the interview stories posted on here recently Jim. To me it comes across as Zimmer feels like Norv quit on the team. If any of you recall Zimmer's well publicized views on Bobby Petrino, then his statements here are only surprising in how restrained they are.

Update: Here is the link. http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer- ... 407252856/



Thanks.

Can someone post the pertinent quote from the article for me? I can't read it. I've used up my free Strib articles for the month.



He was asked if he considered Norv a friend. He said no, not now, but maybe a long time from now. Or something to that effect.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:56 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: They flat out gave up
mansquatch wrote:
Mothman wrote:
mansquatch wrote:
It is in one of the interview stories posted on here recently Jim. To me it comes across as Zimmer feels like Norv quit on the team. If any of you recall Zimmer's well publicized views on Bobby Petrino, then his statements here are only surprising in how restrained they are.

Update: Here is the link. http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer- ... 407252856/



Thanks.

Can someone post the pertinent quote from the article for me? I can't read it. I've used up my free Strib articles for the month.



He was asked if he considered Norv a friend. He said no, not now, but maybe a long time from now. Or something to that effect.



Thanks.

That's a bit disappointing to read but Zimmer's obviously a pretty emotional guy so I can understand why he might feel that way.


Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:08 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:45 am
Posts: 1269
Post Re: They flat out gave up
what was there to "quit" on?

THis team was going nowhere....Norv is old....there was nothing to accomplish here with this joke of an OL......

Moreover, if Zim is a real Head Coach, he should have shown some tiny bit of Offensive skill/conciousness.......he has proven clueless.


Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:59 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Posts: 10040
Location: Burbank, California
Post Re: They flat out gave up
Mothman wrote:
mansquatch wrote:
He was asked if he considered Norv a friend. He said no, not now, but maybe a long time from now. Or something to that effect.


Thanks.

That's a bit disappointing to read but Zimmer's obviously a pretty emotional guy so I can understand why he might feel that way.


I can understand it, too. If Zimmer feels Norv abruptly quit at a time when the team was losing (and maybe Zimmer felt he needed Norv more than ever), then it probably would seem as if Turner abandoned the offense.

We may never know the full story behind it.


Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:53 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1625
Post Re: They flat out gave up
At this point I am honestly thinking our best case would be for Zimmer to take over the DC role for "health reasons" and find a new head coach.


Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:01 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3225
Post Re: They flat out gave up
IrishViking wrote:
At this point I am honestly thinking our best case would be for Zimmer to take over the DC role for "health reasons" and find a new head coach.


My vote is for Bobby Petrino.


Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:19 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 7961
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: They flat out gave up
Mothman wrote:
mansquatch wrote:
It is in one of the interview stories posted on here recently Jim. To me it comes across as Zimmer feels like Norv quit on the team. If any of you recall Zimmer's well publicized views on Bobby Petrino, then his statements here are only surprising in how restrained they are.

Update: Here is the link. http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer- ... 407252856/



Thanks.

Can someone post the pertinent quote from the article for me? I can't read it. I've used up my free Strib articles for the month.


Article wrote:
There was one thing that happened this year that Zimmer doesn’t joke or laugh about. It came Nov. 2, when offensive coordinator Norv Turner walked into his office, sat down in the corner chair and resigned.

“It was shocking,” Zimmer said. “We talked for a while. I don’t know that I really tried to talk him out of it. It bothered me because I thought he was a friend of mine. So that’s what bothered me the most.”

Does Zimmer still consider Turner a friend?

“Do I think he’s a friend of mine? Not today,” Zimmer said. “Maybe years from now.”

_________________
“There is a chance that if I lose 100 pounds, I could be a jockey ...” - Coach Zimmer


Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:16 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Posts: 1696
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Post Re: They flat out gave up
I was excited to see AD back on the field on Sunday but I'm definitely over it and over him. The team might be over him, too. Now he's saying he's unsure if he'll play at GB? Just because we are most likely out of the playoff race? If he's healthy he should be playing regardless of where we sit in the standings. If he's healthy and doesn't want to play - hang it up, man. Terrible way to treat a fan base. It'll be fitting if he retires or goes somewhere else this offseason and his final play with us was a tide turning fumble.


Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:49 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: They flat out gave up
TSonn wrote:
I was excited to see AD back on the field on Sunday but I'm definitely over it and over him. The team might be over him, too. Now he's saying he's unsure if he'll play at GB? Just because we are most likely out of the playoff race? If he's healthy he should be playing regardless of where we sit in the standings. If he's healthy and doesn't want to play - hang it up, man. Terrible way to treat a fan base. It'll be fitting if he retires or goes somewhere else this offseason and his final play with us was a tide turning fumble.


That wouldn't be fitting, it would be a shame.

He said he wants to play vs. GB but he's unsure if he'll play because he's banged up. He didn't practice today because he's nursing knee and groin injuries, the kind of injuries that occur when a player comes back from a significant injury quickly, tries to help his team by playing even though he hasn't had much practice or contact for months, and takes some hits.

Fighting back from an injury to play: that really is a terrible way to treat a fan base.

At this point, it's the fan base that seems to treat peterson terribly. There certainly seems to be little appreciation for the fact that without him, they probably wouldn't have had even the two playoff seasons they've managed in the last 7 years (perhaps not the two before that either).

It's also possible the Vikings simply won't want to play him the rest of the season because it could cost them a significant amount of money if he were to suffer a more lasting injury.


Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:51 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3225
Post Re: They flat out gave up
Mothman wrote:
At this point, it's the fan base that seems to treat peterson terribly.


Yeah, this fan base already ruined its relationship with Peterson duiring his season long suspension. In fact, this is a terrible fan base generally from the players point of view.


Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:55 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: They flat out gave up
Cliff wrote:
Mothman wrote:
mansquatch wrote:
It is in one of the interview stories posted on here recently Jim. To me it comes across as Zimmer feels like Norv quit on the team. If any of you recall Zimmer's well publicized views on Bobby Petrino, then his statements here are only surprising in how restrained they are.

Update: Here is the link. http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer- ... 407252856/



Thanks.

Can someone post the pertinent quote from the article for me? I can't read it. I've used up my free Strib articles for the month.


Article wrote:
There was one thing that happened this year that Zimmer doesn’t joke or laugh about. It came Nov. 2, when offensive coordinator Norv Turner walked into his office, sat down in the corner chair and resigned.

“It was shocking,” Zimmer said. “We talked for a while. I don’t know that I really tried to talk him out of it. It bothered me because I thought he was a friend of mine. So that’s what bothered me the most.”

Does Zimmer still consider Turner a friend?

“Do I think he’s a friend of mine? Not today,” Zimmer said. “Maybe years from now.”


Thanks for posting that, Cliff.


Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:17 pm
Profile
Backup

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:47 pm
Posts: 76
Post Re: They flat out gave up
Poor Adrian! The fan base doesn't owe him squat! If I remember correctly the last two playoff games he played in his fumble's where VERY impactful to the outcome of the games! Remember the fumble fest in the 2009 NFC championship game! Those where the two biggest games of his career and he flopped! On top of that, with his selfish actions and child abuse debacle where he had the nerve to paint himself as victim, he lost the fan base himself!!!! I blame the Wilf's for giving into his selfish ways!! On the Adrian subject I have to wonder what Belichick would have done? Nobody is bigger than the team....my guess is Belichick would have traded him during the 13' season when his trade value was still high and maximized the return. He was an aging back coming off a great year..... already had 2 major knee's and several other injuries....an overall high mileage back.. I believe if Zimmer had his way he would have been gone a long time ago. Now he is effecting the rest of the team.....he has to go!!! Enough is Enough of his crap already.....nobody is bigger than the team!!


Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:46 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Posts: 1696
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Post Re: They flat out gave up
Mothman wrote:
TSonn wrote:
I was excited to see AD back on the field on Sunday but I'm definitely over it and over him. The team might be over him, too. Now he's saying he's unsure if he'll play at GB? Just because we are most likely out of the playoff race? If he's healthy he should be playing regardless of where we sit in the standings. If he's healthy and doesn't want to play - hang it up, man. Terrible way to treat a fan base. It'll be fitting if he retires or goes somewhere else this offseason and his final play with us was a tide turning fumble.


That wouldn't be fitting, it would be a shame.

He said he wants to play vs. GB but he's unsure if he'll play because he's banged up. He didn't practice today because he's nursing knee and groin injuries, the kind of injuries that occur when a player comes back from a significant injury quickly, tries to help his team by playing even though he hasn't had much practice or contact for months, and takes some hits.

Fighting back from an injury to play: that really is a terrible way to treat a fan base.

At this point, it's the fan base that seems to treat peterson terribly. There certainly seems to be little appreciation for the fact that without him, they probably wouldn't have had even the two playoff seasons they've managed in the last 7 years (perhaps not the two before that either).

It's also possible the Vikings simply won't want to play him the rest of the season because it could cost them a significant amount of money if he were to suffer a more lasting injury.


It would be fitting only in the sense that despite AD being the main reason we made it to the playoffs 2 seasons, the other 2 times he had some significant fumbles that came at terrible times which, maybe not completely directly, led to disappointing losses.

I don't think it's too far of a stretch to suggest he doesn't want to play the rest of this season because the Vikes are out of the playoffs since the man said it himself a week ago. Sure seems like he wanted to come back to help the team last Sunday, figured out the team is in rough shape, and now is using being "banged up" from his 6 carries last week as a reason to not play the rest of the season.

I appreciate AD for being the foundation of this team for the past decade and the amazing years, games, and runs he's had. But he's had some head-scratching moments throughout that same tenure and his comments from last week make me skeptical of his intentions now. I also think it probably ticks off some of his teammates as well because they are getting banged up each week and still playing despite not being 100%.


Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:37 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Posts: 1696
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Post Re: They flat out gave up
Zimmer sure didn't look very excited to be talking about AD missing the final game during his presser today.


Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:23 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], halfgiz, J. Kapp 11 and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.