View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Time to go to Heineke 
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post Time to go to Heineke
Functionally, this season is done.

If you don't like Bradford, I think it makes sense to let the young guy get some reps and see what happens. He'll probably stink, but that doesn't really make any difference at this point.

If you do like Bradford, we should protect him for next season. The last thing we need is Bradford following Bridgewater onto the PUP and the IR next year.

If henieke looks great, maybe we can con some other team into giving us a 3rd or 4th for Sam and recoup a little bit of the investment. If not, this team is screwed for the foreseeable future anyway!

I can't see any upside to letting Bradford keep playing this year. That really became obvious weeks ago, but oh well. I would have liked to see what the kid could've done with Norv.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:43 pm
Career Elite Player

Post Re: Time to go to Heineke
I agree. Nothing to lose at this point.

Let's see what we've got.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:59 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Ha. Its like fricken ground hog day with this team and the most important position. Same old story, same old song and dance. You would think one of these years we would get lucky and draft a real franchise QB. But the beat goes on..........the beat goes on......... Sonny and Cher.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:18 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

purplehaze wrote:
Ha. Its like fricken ground hog day with this team and the most important position. Same old story, same old song and dance. You would think one of these years we would get lucky and draft a real franchise QB. But the beat goes on..........the beat goes on......... Sonny and Cher.

They need to create better circumstances for a QB to flourish. I'm not a fan of Bradford, but in large part because his deficiencies perfectly magnify the shortcoming of the team around him. He's a disaster for this team at this time. Trading a 1st for him was just insane. He's not going to be the answer next year either...in fact, Bradford is never going to be the answer anywhere, just a guy who can play well enough in ideal circumstances, where, frankly, dozens of QBs could play about as well.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:25 pm
Starter

fiestavike wrote:
Functionally, this season is done.

If you don't like Bradford, I think it makes sense to let the young guy get some reps and see what happens. He'll probably stink, but that doesn't really make any difference at this point.

If you do like Bradford, we should protect him for next season. The last thing we need is Bradford following Bridgewater onto the PUP and the IR next year.

If henieke looks great, maybe we can con some other team into giving us a 3rd or 4th for Sam and recoup a little bit of the investment. If not, this team is screwed for the foreseeable future anyway!

I can't see any upside to letting Bradford keep playing this year. That really became obvious weeks ago, but oh well. I would have liked to see what the kid could've done with Norv.

:point:

You must like tormenting yourself. It isn't going to happen, and it shouldn't happen. You don't protect your quarterback for next year in a defective offense like ours. You need him out there doing his part to make it better. You really want us to wait until next September to start trying to improve it? Hilarious. You think it will just improve without actual playing? Just waltz him back out there in September and shazaaam? It doesn't make a bit of sense I'm afraid.

The one we should "rest" is Pat Shurmur. After that stinker I don't think I want to see him again.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:28 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Purple Martin wrote:
You don't protect your quarterback for next year in a defective offense like ours. You need him out there doing his part to make it better.

That's one way to approach it.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:33 pm
All Pro Elite Player

fiestavike wrote:
Functionally, this season is over.

Maybe we should ask the players if they are done for the year. :D

Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:57 pm
Packers Suck

fiestavike wrote:
purplehaze wrote:

They need to create better circumstances for a QB to flourish. I'm not a fan of Bradford, but in large part because his deficiencies perfectly magnify the shortcoming of the team around him. He's a disaster for this team at this time. Trading a 1st for him was just insane. He's not going to be the answer next year either...in fact, Bradford is never going to be the answer anywhere, just a guy who can play well enough in ideal circumstances, where, frankly, dozens of QBs could play about as well.

First off, dozens of QBs could most definitely NOT accomplish what Bradford has this year in the same circumstances. That is asinine and ridiculous.

Teddy's deficiencies seemed to do a similar thing, namely his knack for holding onto the ball too long, poor release, less then ideal arm strength, and his frazzled and erratic pocket presence.

I dont see any area of Bradfords game that pale in comparison to Teddys, save for his straight line running ability. Your narrative on how Bradford is a negative is getting old, you have nothing to support it so why do you stubbornly assert something over and over while consistently refusing to substantiate it with anything more then 'That is how I see it'.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:20 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

CbusVikesFan wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

I would hope they aren't, but coaches and management need to make longterm decisions based on the circumstances. Its past time to realize this is not anything close to a championship team in 2016 and for leadership to put an eye toward the future.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:58 am
Starter

fiestavike wrote:
CbusVikesFan wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

I would hope they aren't, but coaches and management need to make longterm decisions based on the circumstances. Its past time to realize this is not anything close to a championship team in 2016 and for leadership to put an eye toward the future.

I think we should put an eye toward the past, and realize what could have been. If only our coaching staff had realized a year ago what they still don't realize now, that AP is a fumble-fingered liability in big games and using him changes our focus from the pass-first offense we need to be. If only they had realized a year ago what they still don't realize now, that you need an offense that is aggressive and tries to win games on its own rather than trying to stay close and relying on Good Fortune. Honestly I think the Super Bowl is closer in our rear view mirror than it is in our windshield.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:42 am
Hall of Famer

Nah. This is Sam's team now - until he is injured or outplayed by Teddy Bridgewater next season.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:56 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
Nah. This is Sam's team now - until he is injured or outplayed by Teddy Bridgewater next season.

I agree. However I've always been a Heinecke fan, I don't see the point in benching Bradford.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:46 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
HardcoreVikesFan wrote:

I agree. However I've always been a Heinecke fan, I don't see the point in benching Bradford.

Agree as well......Heinecke stands no chance.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:43 pm
All Pro Elite Player

I think you let Bradford play against the Packers. And see what team decides to show.
But I'm fine giving some people we want a look at play in the Bears game.
Yesterday's game would have been a prefect opportunity to stick Heinicke in 4th quarter.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:46 pm
Packers Suck

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:

I think Teddys ability to injure Bradford far exceed his ability to outplay him. :)

Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:56 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

reads title* :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: god no, just no.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:06 pm
Starter

halfgiz wrote:
I think you let Bradford play against the Packers. And see what team decides to show.
Yesterday's game would have been a prefect opportunity to stick Heinicke in 4th quarter.

Except that he wasn't active (was he?) because we needed to have our 2 best options for winning dressed for the game. :confused:

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:30 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

we should ask the players if they think this season is over? really, that is a question worth asking. did you watch the game yesterday? wow.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:55 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Purple Martin wrote:
halfgiz wrote:

Except that he wasn't active (was he?) because we needed to have our 2 best options for winning dressed for the game. :confused:

No Heinicke usually hasn't been active.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:16 pm
Hall of Famer

Cut Peterson , save the cap room. Start again.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:17 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

One silver lining if they stick with Bradford is that he may continue to play so badly that they can't possibly justify keeping him as the starter next year. Hopeless fans don't buy tickets and if he can convince the remaining few that he'll never be the answer it could be good for the team longterm. Bradford and Peterson's contracts could pay for a big upgrade at OL, which will be extra important with no 1st rd pick. Shaun Hill and some veteran behind an improved OL could stop-gap us through next season. Invest our 2nd in a QB to give the fan base some hope and keep the money coming in.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:43 am
Starter

fiestavike wrote:
One silver lining if they stick with Bradford is that he may continue to play so badly that they can't possibly justify keeping him as the starter next year. Hopeless fans don't buy tickets and if he can convince the remaining few that he'll never be the answer it could be good for the team longterm. Bradford and Peterson's contracts could pay for a big upgrade at OL, which will be extra important with no 1st rd pick. Shaun Hill and some veteran behind an improved OL could stop-gap us through next season. Invest our 2nd in a QB to give the fan base some hope and keep the money coming in.

:rofl: Geez, will you stop with this stuff! You're killing me! :rofl: You're hoping we dump Bradford (who aside from some mistakes and vulnerabilities can't "continue playing badly" because he hasnt been playing badly) and watch Shaun Hill flop next year, all for the shot at some unknown someone who may or may not pan out several years after that? You must be joking! :rofl: Zimmer and half the defense could be retired by then. That's your idea of "hope"?

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:05 am
Packers Suck

fiestavike wrote:

Just stop, its absolutely pathetic how you want to absolve Bridgewater for his flaws, while constantly discrediting Bradford who this point has played better then Bridgewater ever showed capabaility of.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:26 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Purple Martin wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

:rofl: Geez, will you stop with this stuff! You're killing me! :rofl: You're hoping we dump Bradford (who aside from some mistakes and vulnerabilities can't "continue playing badly" because he hasnt been playing badly) and watch Shaun Hill flop next year, all for the shot at some unknown someone who may or may not pan out several years after that? You must be joking! :rofl: Zimmer and half the defense could be retired by then. That's your idea of "hope"?

I'm saying from the team's perspective it could help them fill seats to spend a draft pick on a QB...I think that's why they made the QB trade in the first place.

I have essentially no hope for this franchise. They just won't stop playing smallball.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:03 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote:
Purple Martin wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

I'm saying from the team's perspective it could help them fill seats to spend a draft pick on a QB...I think that's why they made the QB trade in the first place.

I have essentially no hope for this franchise. They just won't stop playing smallball.

Sam Bradford is better than any QB in this years draft by a long shot IMO. This is a very weak class.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:05 pm
Hall of Famer

You want to play a guy who has never taken a snap in an NFL game over Sam Bradford?

Really glad you're not the coach. We'd have a shiny new stadium with 147 fans in the stands, half of those being Taylor Heineke's family. I mean, if this kid were "all that," don't you think he'd have played by now?

And for the record, Sam Bradford has been really good for the Vikings. 9th in passer rating, 1st in completion percentage, 3rd in interception percentage, and among the league leaders in efficiency both downfield and against the blitz. Given the offensive line that's been protecting him (and I use the term "protecting" very, very loosely) and the utter lack of a running game, that's pretty darned good.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:17 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
You want to play a guy who has never taken a snap in an NFL game over Sam Bradford?

Really glad you're not the coach. We'd have a shiny new stadium with 147 fans in the stands, half of those being Taylor Heineke's family. I mean, if this kid were "all that," don't you think he'd have played by now?

And for the record, Sam Bradford has been really good for the Vikings. 9th in passer rating, 1st in completion percentage, 3rd in interception percentage, and among the league leaders in efficiency both downfield and against the blitz. Given the offensive line that's been protecting him (and I use the term "protecting" very, very loosely) and the utter lack of a running game, that's pretty darned good.

Exactly what I've been saying. Yet there are people on here that want to say he is the problem, he's a bum or it was a bad trade. I couldn't disagree more

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:29 pm
Site Admin

Of all of the things to complain about on the team, I'm not sure how you focus in on Bradford who has been one of the only bright spots on offense since he got here.

In my opinion the biggest problem with the offense this last game was that they decided since Peterson was back we could just go back to slamming the RB into the offensive line and yards would magically appear. The offensive line couldn't "impose it's will" on a puppy. Peterson can't do it alone. I'm not sure if 25 year old Peterson could have done it, let alone 32 year old Peterson. Opening every drive with running plays up the gut doesn't work with this offensive line. I can't fathom why they're still doing that ...

Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:27 am
Commissioner

Cliff wrote:
Of all of the things to complain about on the team, I'm not sure how you focus in on Bradford who has been one of the only bright spots on offense since he got here.

In my opinion the biggest problem with the offense this last game was that they decided since Peterson was back we could just go back to slamming the RB into the offensive line and yards would magically appear. The offensive line couldn't "impose it's will" on a puppy. Peterson can't do it alone. I'm not sure if 25 year old Peterson could have done it, let alone 32 year old Peterson. Opening every drive with running plays up the gut doesn't work with this offensive line. I can't fathom why they're still doing that ...

Very well said, Cliff. The Vikings have numerous issues right now, with the OL certainly being the most glaring deficiency on the team. I amazed Bradford has been able to do what he's done behind this crippled mess of an offensive line.

On that note, I fully expect the Vikings staff to upgrade the OL in both the free agency and draft during the offseason. Because if they don't, the skill position players on offense might commit mutiny. I know the fans sure won't be happy.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:46 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

losperros wrote:
Cliff wrote:

Very well said, Cliff. The Vikings have numerous issues right now, with the OL certainly being the most glaring deficiency on the team. I amazed Bradford has been able to do what he's done behind this crippled mess of an offensive line.

On that note, I fully expect the Vikings staff to upgrade the OL in both the free agency and draft during the offseason. Because if they don't, the skill position players on offense might commit mutiny. I know the fans sure won't be happy.

Agree 100%. I truly believe they will. They had to modify their damn offense because the OL was so weak for gods sake. They're going to address it big time. I'm not worried

Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next