View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Rick Spielman, what should the Vikes do with him 
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post Re: Rick Spielman, what should the Vikes do with him
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
IrishViking wrote:

This is about the only bone I will throw Spielmen relating to the Oline. On paper, coming into this year, we had what was probably going to be a middle of the road to even slightly decent line depending on Sparano.

So basically the crappy offensive line from last year with a new (old) tackle who hadn't been playing well for a couple years instead of Clemmings. Admittedly an upgrade, but by how much? It was really a terrible plan unless (and in hindsight we know they didn't) they had some reason to believe a young unknown like Sirles of Bykowski was ready to seize the job.

They had Smith, Loadholt and Clemmings competing for that spot. Not an awful plan when Clemmings is 3rd string

Loadholt was never competing, he was just a longshot to ever be able to play again.

Smith had been terrible for his previous team and even healthy he would have been terrible.

Clemmings is Clemmings. I'd say no thanks to all 3 of those "options" at RT. What a competition! :lol:

Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:04 pm
Transition Player

I think that I would spend the offseason working Beavers at LT, Boone at LG, Easton at C, Shepherd at RG, and Sirles at RT.

I would keep Berger and maybe Fusco as interior depth. I would offer a backup contract to Jake Long and Kalil. I would see what Harris is doing and if he wants to play football still. If so, he's probably the RT !

I would target and land a LT, a OG, and another OT in FA.
Guys like Riley Reiff, Ricky Wagner, Jonathan Cooper, Ronald Leary, and other guys that play and will be looking for a new payday or a change of scenery.

Draft I would look to OT Chad Wheeler, Avery Gennesy, Conor McDermott, and Dan Skipper. OG like Zachary Banner, Taylor Moton, Dorian Johnson, Pat Elfein, and Tyrone Crowder. I would not settle for less than 2 of these guys.

I would have an abundance....
To do this, we have to cut the salaries of expiring contracts and restructure team unfriendly deals like AD.
With a much improved OL, we have to consider if Bradford is THE GUY or TB if healthy? Or someone not on the rooster yet ?

Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:11 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

IIsweet wrote:
I think that I would spend the offseason working Beavers at LT, Boone at LG, Easton at C, Shepherd at RG, and Sirles at RT.

I would keep Berger and maybe Fusco as interior depth. I would offer a backup contract to Jake Long and Kalil. I would see what Harris is doing and if he wants to play football still. If so, he's probably the RT !

I would target and land a LT, a OG, and another OT in FA.
Guys like Riley Reiff, Ricky Wagner, Jonathan Cooper, Ronald Leary, and other guys that play and will be looking for a new payday or a change of scenery.

Draft I would look to OT Chad Wheeler, Avery Gennesy, Conor McDermott, and Dan Skipper. OG like Zachary Banner, Taylor Moton, Dorian Johnson, Pat Elfein, and Tyrone Crowder. I would not settle for less than 2 of these guys.

I would have an abundance....
To do this, we have to cut the salaries of expiring contracts and restructure team unfriendly deals like AD.
With a much improved OL, we have to consider if Bradford is THE GUY or TB if healthy? Or someone not on the rooster yet ?

There's that damn rooster again! :point:

Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:12 pm
Transition Player

Major League 2 reference, I believe

Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:28 pm
Fenrir

fiestavike wrote:
S197 wrote:
So looking forward, what would everyone like to see?

Do we bring Kalil back? Smith?

I think we're relatively okay at C. Berger is old but Easton seems like he can hold is own. Between the two, I think we have a starter and depth player. I think Boone is okay at LG. That leaves RG and the two tackles. I think at this point we have to assume Harris is not an option since we simply don't know what's going on. We can certainly find a good guard and likely a RT in rounds 2 or 3.

I'm thinking big splash in FA for a LT, with Kalil or Smith as depth. Draft a LG and RT. Clemmings/Beavers/Sirles will be backups.

Thoughts?

Kalil and Smith will be next years Sully and Loadholt. They are both done as NFL players. Sirles probably starts next year as RT. Clemmings needs to be jettisoned. They'll have no answer for LT but probably will overpay for another dud out of desperation. Probably NFC north cellar dwellars next year.

So basically other than complaining, you have nothing meaningful to contribute.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:05 pm
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:

I think we're relatively okay at C. Berger is old but Easton seems like he can hold is own. Between the two, I think we have a starter and depth player. I think Boone is okay at LG. That leaves RG and the two tackles. I think at this point we have to assume Harris is not an option since we simply don't know what's going on. We can certainly find a good guard and likely a RT in rounds 2 or 3.

I'm thinking big splash in FA for a LT, with Kalil or Smith as depth. Draft a LG and RT. Clemmings/Beavers/Sirles will be backups.

Thoughts?

I want the line gutted.

Now, that isn't going to happen - nor is it feasible. But holy hell, I couldn't care less if I ever saw a single one of our current starting lineman play another down for us.

I want Kalil resigned. There simply isn't a great option out there at LT. I want Riley Reiff on this team as the RT. I would love to see Kevin Zeitler or Chance Warmack brought in at guard as well.

If at least three offensive linemen are not drafted this year I'll be highly disappointed.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:44 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
Kalil and Smith will be next years Sully and Loadholt. They are both done as NFL players. Sirles probably starts next year as RT. Clemmings needs to be jettisoned. They'll have no answer for LT but probably will overpay for another dud out of desperation. Probably NFC north cellar dwellars next year.

Sounds like a great attitude if I've ever heard one :thumbsup: But out of everything in your post, the only thing I agree with is Clemmings being shipped off. Outside of that, the rest I 110% disagree

I will laugh when next year Kalil and Smith are injured and you are saying "if it weren't for the injuries, the vikings would have at least won 5 games this season!"

Kalil has been banged up lately but he didnt miss a game up until this year if I am correct. But ok. And I said we should let Smith walk so I'm not even sure why you are bringing him up. He's in a contract year too.

What are we suppose to do?? Let both OTs go without a first round pick?? Yeah makes a lot of sense :confused:

We are forced to resign one IMO and it should be Kalil if anyone because he's younger and its harder to find a legit LT when you're out of the first round or in free agency for that matter.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:56 pm
Waterboy

Hi new here. O line is terrible that's obvious but I think the problem is Soprano or scheme. O line play doesn't change much dive plays, traps and pass blocking are fairly universal, they are not getting coached up. Ditch Tony Sparano and Clemmings ASAP.

SKOL!!

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:12 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

S197 wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
S197 wrote:

Thoughts?

:point:

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:33 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
S197 wrote:

Thoughts?

Touché sir :lol:

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:26 am
Practice Squad

One thing to consider if they keep any of the OL is that if they don't perform well next year, then the front office will look incompetent for bringing the player(s) back after how poorly they were this year. That would not look good and may end a coach's and/or gm's career with the Vikings.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:38 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

S197 wrote:

Thoughts?

I think you go after Andrew Whitworth and if you can't sign him you go to Kalil. I also think they should go after Ron Leary at guard. Maybe you sign Smith to another 1 year contract and you let him compete with Sirles. Either way you'll need to draft a Tackle and a center. While Berger is playing well he's on the wrong side of 30 and developing someone behind him would be smart. What the Vikings have to do better at is scouting. Beavers and Clemmings seem to have been bad picks, which means either they were evaluated to high during the scouting process or coaches wrongly believed they could correct their flaws.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:53 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

MrPurplenGold wrote:
S197 wrote:

Thoughts?

I think you go after Andrew Whitworth and if you can't sign him you go to Kalil. I also think they should go after Ron Leary at guard. Maybe you sign Smith to another 1 year contract and you let him compete with Sirles. Either way you'll need to draft a Tackle and a center. While Berger is playing well he's on the wrong side of 30 and developing someone behind him would be smart. What the Vikings have to do better at is scouting. Beavers and Clemmings seem to have been bad picks, which means either they were evaluated to high during the scouting process or coaches wrongly believed they could correct their flaws.

Personally I've really liked what I've seen out of Easton and Berger still has a good year or two left in him. Center is the least of our problems. It's probably where we have the most depth as we've seen this year. Easton has filled in quite well for Berger when he's been out.

We need a tackle(s) and a solid guard. I'm not worried about LG or Center.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:04 am
Fenrir

MrPurplenGold wrote:
S197 wrote:

Thoughts?

Whitworth is interesting as he's on a "prove it" contract with Cinci. Being 35 gives me pause but perhaps you could pick him up and draft a LT to groom. I agree the scouting has been abysmal and is one area that definitely needs to be addressed. I'm on the fence about Leary, he's had his share of injury issues but is clearly dominant when healthy. Maybe a good buy low type of player. Appreciate your input.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:37 pm
All Pro Elite Player

S197 wrote:
MrPurplenGold wrote:
S197 wrote:

Thoughts?

Whitworth is interesting as he's on a "prove it" contract with Cinci. Being 35 gives me pause but perhaps you could pick him up and draft a LT to groom. I agree the scouting has been abysmal and is one area that definitely needs to be addressed. I'm on the fence about Leary, he's had his share of injury issues but is clearly dominant when healthy. Maybe a good buy low type of player. Appreciate your input.

At this point if your plan is Bradford, AP, and this defense to win the superbowl all you can do is go after decent older Olinemen. the Brown have one, name escapes me.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:47 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

MrPurplenGold wrote:
S197 wrote:

Thoughts?

Personally I've really liked what I've seen out of Easton and Berger still has a good year or two left in him. Center is the least of our problems. It's probably where we have the most depth as we've seen this year. Easton has filled in quite well for Berger when he's been out.

We need a tackle(s) and a solid guard. I'm not worried about LG or Center.

Berger will be 35 when the 2017 season starts. If we don't start developing his replacement we will be in the same boat at the center position that we are with both tackle spots right now. I'm not sold on Easton, he didn't grade out too well in this last game against the colts. If there is a tackle there in the 2nd round worth taking, you obviously take them. If not, and there's a potentially dominant center there, I don't know why you wouldn't consider drafting a center and moving berger to RG where he has played well also.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:02 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

MrPurplenGold wrote:

Berger will be 35 when the 2017 season starts. If we don't start developing his replacement we will be in the same boat at the center position that we are with both tackle spots right now. I'm not sold on Easton, he didn't grade out too well in this last game against the colts. If there is a tackle there in the 2nd round worth taking, you obviously take them. If not, and there's a potentially dominant center there, I don't know why you wouldn't consider drafting a center and moving berger to RG where he has played well also.

I agree, you can look at it that way as well with moving Berger to RG. He didnt look too hot there vs the Colts but outside of Kai Forbath nobody looked good that game. I mean I am an Easton "fan" I guess you could say but who's to say he couldnt play right guard too I dont know. All in all, we need to keep every position on the OL a possibility come draft day.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11