Rick Spielman, what should the Vikes do with him

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Rick Spielman, what should the Vikes do with him

Post by S197 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:We are, IMO, worse off now then we were before Rick came in. Rick has the Wilfs, the previous coaches had Red McCombs. Think about it.

The Defense is your main defense on Rick being good at his job? Guess who had more to do with our D then Rick? Ricks be an average GM, just like the other average GM's out there. Except I think he has more of a green light and money then some.

I didnt see him mentioned this before, I only skimmed through it, but 2 words. John Carlson.

I could agrue about this forever but it would end up being between me and 1 other person and I'd get the boot, so im going to hold my tongue. But since Rick came here as VP of PP, till now, we aernt on much better shape. And yes that time counted.
Prior to Spielman, Fran Foley drafted Tarvaris Jackson and Ryan Cook in the 2nd round. To make it worse, Jackson was a trade up where they gave up two 3rd rounders. I seriously don't know how we were better off at that point.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:Prior to Spielman, Fran Foley drafted Tarvaris Jackson and Ryan Cook in the 2nd round. To make it worse, Jackson was a trade up where they gave up two 3rd rounders. I seriously don't know how we were better off at that point.
Sadly, Spielman's made trades and picks all too comparable to those you mentioned above. :(
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote: Sadly, Spielman's made trades and picks all too comparable to those you mentioned above. :(
I'm guessing you're referring to Patterson? If so, yeah it was a huge gamble on a raw talent but he's still an asset to this team. Neither Jackson or Cook were. Not saying it makes the Patterson trade a good trade but at worst we have a guy that's contributing. And seems to have gotten a lot better vs. those guys who seemed to get worse
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

S197 wrote: Prior to Spielman, Fran Foley drafted Tarvaris Jackson and Ryan Cook in the 2nd round. To make it worse, Jackson was a trade up where they gave up two 3rd rounders. I seriously don't know how we were better off at that point.
I thought Rick was part of the ToA along with Foley. And everyone's favorite HC, Childress.

I dont think Rick is incompetent. I dont hate him. I dont think hes helped the team that much. He really should have consistent playoff teams. With the owners we have, and with the HC we have now. Ita like a roller coaster, up and down. No stability teams like GB, NE, etc. have. Ricks more interested in playing the draft game, which I dont think hes so good at. Have 50 draft picks at the end of a draft doesnt make you a winner. I know Billechek likes to amass picks too, but he must has a better system cause he gets good players that work within the system. We usually dont.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I'm guessing you're referring to Patterson?

I was referring to a number of picks and trades, not one in particular.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I thought Rick was part of the ToA along with Foley. And everyone's favorite HC, Childress.
He replaced Foley. After Spielman was hired, the ToA consisted of Spielman, Childress and Rob Brzezinski.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Left Tackle should have been Donald Penn. Right Tackle should have been Stanley/Tunsil/Conklin or Decker.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

fiestavike wrote:Left Tackle should have been Donald Penn. Right Tackle should have been Stanley/Tunsil/Conklin or Decker.
Fun Fact: We cut Donald Penn during some of the last cuts during the 2006 season. He went on to Tampa and we have seen how his career has turned out.

That being said, I am hardly a fan of the guy. Nothing made me happier than seeing Jared Allen destroy him for a sack after Penn placed a dirty cut block on him.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Fun Fact: We cut Donald Penn during some of the last cuts during the 2006 season. He went on to Tampa and we have seen how his career has turned out.

That being said, I am hardly a fan of the guy. Nothing made me happier than seeing Jared Allen destroy him for a sack after Penn placed a dirty cut block on him.
He's an older guy who would have been the best stop gap option at LT. He would have cost less than Kalil, and bought time for our rookie T to play on the right before we spent another 1st rounder on an OT the next year...That would've been my plan.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:Left Tackle should have been Donald Penn. Right Tackle should have been Stanley/Tunsil/Conklin or Decker.
Yeah easy for you to say. Stanley went at #6, Conklin went at 8, Tunsil went at 13 and had an idiotic video posted of him just before the draft. We picked at 23. Do you have any idea how much that would cost us??? This is my point with some of these posts. I just dont understand how anyone would figure we would move all the way up to 6, 8 or even 13 to take a pot head and not have to give up a boat load of picks. So no, RT SHOULDN'T have been Stanley, Tunsil or Conklin because it would cost us many of picks in last years and this years draft.

The only one in reason if you ask me was Decker and that would still have costed a pretty penny. Outside of that, to move into the top 10 from 23 just isn't very realistic and would cost way too much.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Yeah easy for you to say. Stanley went at #6, Conklin went at 8, Tunsil went at 13 and had an idiotic video posted of him just before the draft. We picked at 23. Do you have any idea how much that would cost us??? This is my point with some of these posts. I just dont understand how anyone would figure we would move all the way up to 6, 8 or even 13 to take a pot head and not have to give up a boat load of picks. So no, RT SHOULDN'T have been Stanley, Tunsil or Conklin because it would cost us many of picks in last years and this years draft.

The only one in reason if you ask me was Decker and that would still have costed a pretty penny. Outside of that, to move into the top 10 from 23 just isn't very realistic and would cost way too much.
Agreed. Decker was the most realistic option of the tackles drafted before the Vikes picked.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote: Agreed. Decker was the most realistic option of the tackles drafted before the Vikes picked.
Jim we just made history. We BOTH agreed on something in a thread about Rick Spielman :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :appl: :appl: :appl:
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Jim we just made history. We BOTH agreed on something in a thread about Rick Spielman :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :appl: :appl: :appl:
I knew we could do it, Mike! :banana:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote: Sadly, Spielman's made trades and picks all too comparable to those you mentioned above. :(
As bad as Jackson and Cook? I don't think there was a person here who knew who Ryan Cook even was.

Spielman had some great trades (Jared Allen, Harrison Smith, Harvin to Sea) some questionable/TBD (Bridgewater, Patterson) but very few bad ones I can recall off the top of my head. Gerhart maybe? He also duped the browns with the Trent Richardson draft.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote: As bad as Jackson and Cook? I don't think there was a person here who knew who Ryan Cook even was.
Seriously? He started about 40 games for the Vikes. I would hope at least some fans here remember him (not that he was particularly good).
Spielman had some great trades (Jared Allen, Harrison Smith, Harvin to Sea) some questionable/TBD (Bridgewater, Patterson) but very few bad ones I can recall off the top of my head. Gerhart maybe? He also duped the browns with the Trent Richardson draft.
I don't think Gerhart was a bad trade but it was arguably an unnecessary trade. The trade up for Bridgewater was more expensive than the trade up for Jackson and although Bridgewater has been a better player than Jackson, he hasn't been very good and there's a good chance the Vikes will get about 2 years out of that deal. Heck, Bridgewater spent a good portion of last season flirting with the franchise low for TD passes in a season set by the Jackson-led offense.

As for picks: there have been quite a few. For example, there's Tyrell Johnson, a second round pick that was a pretty big bust. Chris Cook was the 34th pick in the draft and I don't think he worked out much, if any better than Ryan Cook. Ponder was obviously a swing and a miss and consider these third rounders over the years:

Marcus McCauley
Asher Allen
Josh Robinson
Scott Crichton