View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Remaining Schedules 
All Pro Elite Player

Post Remaining Schedules
Looking at the remaining schedules for teams in the hunt for the playoffs, if the Vikings win out (haha I know right?) they stand a great chance of either winning the wildcard or possibly the division. The reason being, a lot of the teams in the hunt (I excluded teams that have no chance of getting to 10 wins) still have games against each other.

Vikings: 7-6
Colts
@Packers
Bears

Win out and the Vikings will be at 10-6

Lions: 9-4
@Giants L
@Cowboys L
Packers L

The Lions would then finish at 9-7 and nothing past this part matters because the Vikings would win the division.

*Note: Packers aren't included because for this scenario the Vikings would have to beat them in week 16 which then would prevent the Packers from reaching 10 wins.

Cowboys: 11-1
Not even worth posting their remaining schedule (all of their remaining games are against other teams "in the hunt"). I have them finishing at 14-2 and the first seed in the NFC.

Giants: 9-4
Lions W
@Eagles L
@Redskins W

Final: 11-5

Redskins: 7-5-1
Panthers W
@Bears W
Giants L

Redskins end the season at 9-6-1.

The only team from the West that matters are the Seahawks. They're the only one that can get over 10 wins. I have them finishing the season at 12-3-1 and the number two seed.

Falcons: 8-5
49ers W
@Panthers W
Saints W

Falcons win the South with an 11-5 record and secure the number 3 seed.

Bucs: 8-5
@Cowboys L
@Saints L
Panthers W

Bucs finish at 9-7

Under these conditions the playoffs would look like this:
1) Cowboys
2) Seahawks
3) Falcons
4) Vikings
5) Giants
6) Redskins

However, if the Lions manage to pull off one more win and everything else stays the same the playoffs would look like this:
1) Cowboys
2) Seahawks
3) Falcons
4) Lions
5) Giants
6) Vikings

Basically, what I'm saying is there's still a lot of football to play and the Vikings are still in it. :govikes: :v): :smilevike:

*Edit 1: Updated records after this weeks games. Removed Eagles and Saints, neither of them can reach 10 wins at this point, and under this scenario the Vikings would be at 10. Changed Lions last game against the Packers to a loss so show how Vikings can win division.

*Note 1: As of 4DEC16 there are 5 teams fighting for the 2 wildcard slots (assuming only teams with a chance of getting to 10 wins are fighting). Vikings are on the outside looking in.

*Edit 2: Updated with results from 11DEC16 early games.

*Edit 3: Updated with results from 11DEC16 late games.

*Edit 4: Updated with 11DEC16 night game. Made changes to how final standings would look.

Last edited by akvikingsfan on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:13 am
Profile WWW
Starter

Post Re: Remaining Schedules
Yeah they are definitely still in it but they have a razor thin margin of error and have to figure out how to put more points on the board. AP could probably help out right about now.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:23 am
Backup

The Packers will win out while the Lions and Vikings finish 8-8.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:32 am
Packers Suck

Iron Lion wrote:

I think going in to week 16 game between GB and Minny will look something like this.

Vikings 8-6

Packers 8-6 or 7-7 (Extra loss would not affect this specific scenario, believe it or not.)

Lions 8- 7

Week 16 between the Packers and Vikings will be with the season on the line, the loser will be taken from playoff contention.

Mean while, if the winner was the Packers, they would go on to have a division showdown with the Lions for the NFCN title. A win for Det would mean the Lions would claim the title on home wins if the Packers had only 6 losses to that point (As the division and conference records would be tied at this point) or if the Packers had a 7th loss (Which could not come to the Vikings, because that would end the GB season.), the Lions would clinch on a superior record. While a Packers win would give them NFCN.

A week 16 Vikings win against the Packers however, would end GBs playoff contention, and the Vikings could then clinch the division in week 17 with either a win against the Bears, OR a Lions loss.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:13 am
Backup

Jordysghost wrote:
Iron Lion wrote:

I think going in to week 16 game between GB and Minny will look something like this.

Vikings 8-6

Packers 8-6 or 7-7 (Extra loss would not affect this specific scenario, believe it or not.)

Lions 8- 7

Week 16 between the Packers and Vikings will be with the season on the line, the loser will be taken from playoff contention.

Mean while, if the winner was the Packers, they would go on to have a division showdown with the Lions for the NFCN title. A win for Det would mean the Lions would claim the title on home wins if the Packers had only 6 losses to that point (As the division and conference records would be tied at this point) or if the Packers had a 7th loss (Which could not come to the Vikings, because that would end the GB season.), the Lions would clinch on a superior record. While a Packers win would give them NFCN.

A week 16 Vikings win against the Packers however, would end GBs playoff contention, and the Vikings could then clinch the division in week 17 with either a win against the Bears, OR a Lions loss.

In your scenario, the next tiebreaker for division champion is common games (home wins are not a thing and I have no idea where you heard that). As we share all but 2 common games, we need only look at the following:

Lions beat Rams
Packers lost to Falcons
Lions at Saints (assumed loss)
Seahawks at Packers (assumed win)

The tiebreaker then goes to strength of victory. I've looked at it, it's close, and the Packers are currently ahead (assuming the Packers start winning, of course). However, if the Texans start losing and the Colts start winning, this tiebreaker will be ours given your presumed win against the Texans and the fact that the Lions beat the Colts, the Lions lost to the Texans, and the Packers lost to the Colts.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:45 am
Packers Suck

Iron Lion wrote:
Jordysghost wrote:
Iron Lion wrote:

Vikings 8-6

Lions 8- 7

In your scenario, the next tiebreaker for division champion is common games (home wins are not a thing and I have no idea where you heard that). As we share all but 2 common games, we need only look at the following:

Lions beat Rams
Packers lost to Falcons
Lions at Saints (assumed loss)
Seahawks at Packers (assumed win)

The tiebreaker then goes to strength of victory. I've looked at it, it's close, and the Packers are currently ahead (assuming the Packers start winning, of course). However, if the Texans start losing and the Colts start winning, this tiebreaker will be ours given your presumed win against the Texans and the fact that the Lions beat the Colts, the Lions lost to the Texans, and the Packers lost to the Colts.

Not sure why I thought that.

I didnt assume the Squawks as a win, btw, the scenario took into account a possible loss to them.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:33 am
Backup

Jordysghost wrote:

I didnt assume the Squawks as a win, btw, the scenario took into account a possible loss to them.

In order for us to even discuss a tiebreaker scenario, the Packers must win out except lose in Detroit. If you win that game it's a sweep and there's nothing to discuss. Also I'm not entertaining the possibility of the Bears winning in Detroit. This puts the Lions at 8-7 heading into the game and the Packers need to be at 9-6 for the conversation to be interesting. If they're 8-7 there's no tiebreaker, just winner take all.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:40 am
Packers Suck

Iron Lion wrote:
Jordysghost wrote:

In order for us to even discuss a tiebreaker scenario, the Packers must win out except lose in Detroit. If you win that game it's a sweep and there's nothing to discuss. Also I'm not entertaining the possibility of the Bears winning in Detroit. This puts the Lions at 8-7 heading into the game and the Packers need to be at 9-6 for the conversation to be interesting. If they're 8-7 there's no tiebreaker, just winner take all.

Yea, I am aware of that.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:46 am
Career Elite Player

:ripple: :ripple: :ripple: :ripple:

Vikes will finish 8-8 or 7-9. They will lose both road games, SHOULD beat the bears at home, and the Indy game at home is a coin flip.

they are simply not a good football team right now.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:31 pm
Veteran

I've pretty much figured out the pattern the NFL likes to use. Vikings win their next two, but lose to the packers to knock them out of the division.
The packers win the next three, and Detroit loses to Dallas, and maybe New York, setting up a prime time Green Bay/Detroit showdown for the division. Minnesota will not get a wild card at 9 and 7 since their losses were to NFC teams.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:12 pm
Packers Suck

joe h wrote:
I've pretty much figured out the pattern the NFL likes to use. Vikings win their next two, but lose to the packers to knock them out of the division.
The packers win the next three, and Detroit loses to Dallas, and maybe New York, setting up a prime time Green Bay/Detroit showdown for the division. Minnesota will not get a wild card at 9 and 7 since their losses were to NFC teams.

Yea, im sure if that happened, it would be because it is the 'Pattern the NFL likes to use'.

:roll: :thumbsup:

Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:15 pm
Hall of Famer

Start this scenario over.

Lions beat the Saints easily, now 8-4.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:22 pm
Commissioner

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Start this scenario over.

Lions beat the Saints easily, now 8-4.

Gotta hand it to the Lions. They're getting the job done.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:53 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Simplest route for the Vikings in the playoffs is they win out. IF that happens, the Bucs would need to lose two and the Skins one. That is assuming the Lions take the division.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:33 pm
All Pro Elite Player

com/eric_j_thompson

The #Vikings are effectively three games out of first with four games remaining. pic.twitter.com/XOIMU4sUUG

There's a chance the #Vikings could be eliminated from the NFC North race as soon as next Sunday.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:16 pm
Strong Safety

we lost this season because of our OL which made our offense pathetic in most games.

if we would had a decent OL and moderate offense we could win a lot of games.,..

If our leadership does not fix this next off season ... I think it will be time to give up on
them.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:12 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Updated original post after today's games. Took out teams that no longer matter, assuming Vikings get to 10 wins. Changed game outcome between Lions/Packers to show possible route to NFC North Champions.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:53 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Famer

There is literally zero chance this team is going to suddenly string together 4 in a row again. I don't even feel confident this team can beat Jacksonville this coming Sunday.

2016 is a lost cause. But hey, since we are slaves to Philly, we might as well try to win as many games as we can.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:24 am
Transition Player

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
There is literally zero chance this team is going to suddenly string together 4 in a row again. I don't even feel confident this team can beat Jacksonville this coming Sunday.

2016 is a lost cause. But hey, since we are slaves to Philly, we might as well try to win as many games as we can.

They won 5 in a row to start the year, so "literally no chance" is a bit extreme. That said, I certainly don't think they will :)

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:26 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:

You do realize that this team held the supposed most prolific offense to one long drive the other night? While the offense is stumbling, the defense is playing lights out. Cowboys are averaging 28 points per game, and the defense held them to 10 in reality. That second TD is on special teams. Now, that doesn't mean that they are going to win, but if the offensive line even remotely shows some life in the next few weeks anything is possible.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:52 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Raptorman wrote:
Simplest route for the Vikings in the playoffs is they win out. IF that happens, the Bucs would need to lose two and the Skins one. That is assuming the Lions take the division.

Or the giants lose two. we need alot of losses plus a win out. Hate to say it but things aren't looking too good. Two teams need to #### the bed and I think the best chance would be tampa and ny. Giants have to play detroit and dallas plus the skins. Tampa has the saints twice and dallas. Skins got carolina, the bears and philly lol. ugh.

Then again none of this really matters unless we run the table.One loss and its not an "official" drop but you might as well start the procession

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:39 am
All Pro Elite Player

VikingPaul73 wrote:

Vikes will finish 8-8 or 7-9. They will lose both road games, SHOULD beat the bears at home, and the Indy game at home is a coin flip.

Colts beat the Jets 41-10...that's a lot of points.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:40 pm
Packers Suck

Well, my scenario went to dust rather quickly.

I cant believe how perfect things went as far as the wildcard race, I thought there was no way the Packers or Vikings would get a wildcard berth, but its not looking so unlikely now as long as we keep winning, we both beat the Giants, and they are 8- 4 with Dal and Detroit coming up, they also play the Redskins later.

The Bucs need two losses and they play Dal yet, the Redskins just lost to the Cards and they need just one loss to fall behind us.

Last edited by Jordysghost on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:55 am
Career Elite Player

halfgiz wrote:
VikingPaul73 wrote:

Colts beat the Jets 41-10...that's a lot of points.

Yeah that was impressive.....so, it's looking more like 7-9 I guess :|

Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:28 am
All Pro Elite Player

Harrison Smith could be done for the year with a grade 3 sprain. That will hurt us...

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:05 am
Hall of Famer

We will not beat greenbay, maybe lose to the colts too. Should beat the bears and the jags. We will not be in the playoffs. There's no a hope

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:43 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

jackal wrote:
we lost this season because of our OL which made our offense pathetic in most games.

if we would had a decent OL and moderate offense we could win a lot of games.,..

If our leadership does not fix this next off season ... I think it will be time to give up on
them.

Agreed.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:16 pm
Fenrir

jackal wrote:

them.

How does leadership fix 5 tackles going down to injury? And every other position at some point in time.

Leadership needs to upgrade the line, I don't think there's any argument there but what happened this year could not be fixed by any team.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:58 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Figured this thread would be a good place to put the link to the ESPN NFL Playoff Machine. You can play with it and see how different games would impact the playoffs. Fun toy to see how tie breakers apply and to decide what teams to cheer for/against.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

With the Giants beating the Cowboys the Vikings now need to win out, and have at least two teams lose two games or the Lions lose all three.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next