Just put up the Christmas Tree...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Just put up the Christmas Tree...

Post by PacificNorseWest »

It's fake, but I tell you what...My wife gets these scent things that smell just like them NW pines! So good and oh so real...Christmas is in the air, only...I'm about to decorate it though...

Over the years, I have accumulated quite the collection of Vikings ornaments. It can be prideful, yeah...but I'm one of the young bucks on this site and hanging them up is starting to remind of nothing but false hope...

We don't get snow very much here in the PNW of Washington State. One good snowstorm every 5 years or so, where 2 inches debilitates the entire I-5 corridor. Hilarious to Minnesotan's, I know...I've had my fair share winters there...but folks here? - chaos. Check out this link...

https://youtu.be/hyTa3SLWfLw

Kinda how I feel about this season...

We're having a very wet fall and that's to continue into winter...I think we see snow here, fellas...It's rare, but it's gonna happen.

I don't know where to place this Vikings team. Fake, like my tree? False hope, like my winters in Seattle? If snow, chaos? Well, I'll tell you what, most here on this forum, as I alluded to, are older than me and have witnessed one or various SB losses on top of the numerous playoff heartbreaks I have witnessed (most notable 3 NFCG's). It really cannot get any worse...At least, there's hope...

Glad you guys read all that, haha...Write your own Christmas story on how this ends...
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Just put up the Christmas Tree...

Post by jackal »

yeah I have little hope for this season .. our OL is a bad as
any OL I can remember in the NFL. Our defense and special
teams would have 14 or more a game for us to win a lot of games
the rest of this season. I live in the Sacramento Valley and we
are a few hours from the ocean or the snow and mountains.

I will be honest each year gets harder for me and I don't
watch all the games anymore, especially the pooch screw
games. We will see if we can fix the OL and have a shot
next season or not. We usually put up a fake tree and lights
but I am not really up for this Christmas, to be honest.

My kids are older and I don't have a ton of money this year.
The Grandkids are fun to watch all through marriage but
I feel disconnected from most things.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Great post PNW
-
I'm not a holiday person at all. I like the season and the vibe of good cheer and I just try to keep it rolling as long as I can.
-
This year is weird cause there just seems to be an awful lot of crap going on in the world. The Vikings coming up short will just instill some sense of normalcy for me ;)
But seriously, I'm not as concerned about winning and losing as I used to be. I just enjoy how the game brings people together for a common cause, even if they're rooting for the other team. It's like a clan or tribe.
-
I'm really enjoying this current edition of the Vikings in spite of their issues and any short comings. They are pretty likable guys IMO.
-
As for hope? I hope I get to see AD play again this season. I hope they at least beat the Bears and Packers. I hope Mike Zimmer doesn't have a heart attack, nor do any of the type A's here at VMB ;)
I hope the season ends on some kind of good note too...
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Nunin wrote:Great post PNW
-
I'm not a holiday person at all. I like the season and the vibe of good cheer and I just try to keep it rolling as long as I can.
-

I read your entire post nunin and agree and would love to elaborate on a lot of it, but the first two sentences were great, in my opinion, and capsulizes it all.

I never pegged myself as a "holiday" person as well. As you mentioned though, the season lends itself to the vibe, the vibe of that cheerfulness that you can't help but feel -- like a good beat that you can't help but tap your feet to, nod your head, play the air guitar, etc....

It's definitely reminiscent to that beat of a football team calling on momentum....I went to a Vikings preseason game when they were playing at TCF, I took my future wife, and we had a blast. Teddy came in and led the Vikes to a 4th quarter W....At that point, I didn't care about that '98 failure, that moment in '02 when I slowly pulled my videotape out of the VCR because I was recording and expecting history, but anguished and deflected pain by not finishing that recording and what it meant -- a loss...Oh, '09? My power inexplicably went out just before half and me and my best friend listened to AP fumbling at the goalline in my '94 Ford Mustang only to finish watching that game at a dive bar full of pre-Super Bowl Champ Seahawks fans -- I asked the bartender to be kind and not give me a Seahawks glass -- its what I got...not too long after, Favre threw the INT and my head fell onto the bar table like a middle school student not wanting to face the reality of his math/science test. *takes deep breath* I digress,

We are Vikings fan...I was wearing purple in an elementary school in Washington before alternative colors was cool...We are Vikings fans...Point is?...I go to my in-laws mainly now for the holidays, one of which is an event planner for a lot of Seattle Seahawks and their charities and I've met a lot of them (Seahawks players -- Hauschka and Lockett the nicest) .Ya know what doesn't change?...."Go Vikes!"

I am going to hang my Vikings ornaments as I usually do..."This season is different," "Same 'ol Vikings," "Damn you, AP!" "What am I doing here with this?!"...hope?...belief? Forget me for second, how many friends or acquaintances do you know that jumped ship to join a "winner?" Pretty commonplace, eh? WE ARE VIKINGS FANS.....Purple pride is not a saying, but a calling...The holidays need not remind me of past failures, but of future FU's...:) Vikings will get theirs...And if not, eh...just a game, right?

Skol!
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

yeah man, hang those ornaments. Maybe it will change the tide. :beerchug:
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think I am going to visit people
in a nursing home or hospital and