View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 What do we have to do to beat Dallas 
All Pro Elite Player

Post What do we have to do to beat Dallas
Title sais it all.
What style defense do we need to defend against Dallas offense?

What does the offense need to do to move the ball?

I guess we will see how the injuries on the offensive line play out.
Thought Easton done ok replacing Burger. Will Rashod Hill get a start?

No Bradford bashing...It's growing old. Just positive things we can do.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:31 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post Re: What do we have to do to beat Dallas
Dallas is a physical team on offense. The Vikes will need to be fundamentally sound and tackle well. They'll need to play tight coverage in the secondary on those big receivers.... Bryant, Witten. Create a turnover or 2.

Contain Dak and make him jumpy. That's the only chance I give them...is getting to Prescott early and often. Their strengths are physically running it to set up the pass. Basically the weak link in the Vikes D IMO.

On offense they got to let it all hang out. I can't believe how much they missed Diggs against Detroit...I hope he is healthy next week. They have to go downfield even if they have to roll Sam out to do it. Throw it to CP downfield. Something....anything. What they've been doing does not score TDs

I don't give them much of a shot the way things are unfolding on the injury front and seeing how balanced Dallas is....but their defense will give them shot if they don't fall behind early.

my 2 cents

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:51 pm
Defensive Tackle

Nunin gave some good answers. I'll add another point: convert on third down, sustain drives and score TDs instead of settling for FGs.

They need to do the latter because the Cowboys will score on the Vikes and it's unlikely the Vikings will be able to eke out a 13-10 victory or something similar.

They need to convert third downs and sustain drives not only to score but to keep their defense from getting worn down by the Cowboy's physical line and running game.

What does the Vikes offense need to do to move the ball?

I'd say they need to take a few shots downfield to open things up and they need to get the ball to players who can make yards on their own. Get the ball to Patterson, get the ball to Diggs if can play, get Wright involved. He's always been a good RAC player and he's inexplicably disappeared from the offense this season.

It's going to be a tall order.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:05 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Beating Dallas is just not going to happen, sorry to say. I know, 'On any given Sunday' but come on, ain't going to happen. Best we can hope for is that Ezekiel Elliott doesn't break AD's single game rushing record of 296 yards. I still trust in Zim and truly believe he'll get this team to the Super Bowl in the next two years but we're just WAY too banged up to accomplish much with the remainder of this season.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:08 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Fran the Man wrote:
Beating Dallas is just not going to happen, sorry to say. I know, 'On any given Sunday' but come on, ain't going to happen. Best we can hope for is that Ezekiel Elliott doesn't break AD's single game rushing record of 296 yards. I still trust in Zim and truly believe he'll get this team to the Super Bowl in the next two years but we're just WAY too banged up to accomplish much with the remainder of this season.

Teams above .500 the Cowboys beat.

Steelers, 6-5
Redskins. Twice 6-4-1

Other wins.
Browns 0-11
Benglas 3-9-1
Ravens 5-5
49r's 1-9
Eagles 5-5
Bears 2-8.
Packers 4-6

Team they lost to.

Giants 7-3
I think we have a chance.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:33 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Raptorman I agree...I think we could have a chance.
I'm more worried about not being able to contain Elliott. But if we can get Dak disrupted early and out of his rhythm we could have a chance for some turnovers. Our D will have to crank it up.
Do you guys think that Rhodes will get assigned to covering Des?

And Jim I agree we need sustained drives down the field with a high percentage of 3rd down conversions.
I'm curious to see what the lineup for the offensive line will be.

Nunin good post. :thumbsup:

:govikes:

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:04 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

halfgiz wrote:
Raptorman I agree...I think we could have a chance.
I'm more worried about not being able to contain Elliott. But if we can get Dak disrupted early and out of his rhythm we could have a chance for some turnovers. Our D will have to crank it up.
Do you guys think that Rhodes will get assigned to covering Des?

And Jim I agree we need sustained drives down the field with a high percentage of 3rd down conversions.
I'm curious to see what the lineup for the offensive line will be.

Nunin good post. :thumbsup:

:govikes:

They need to score the first two drives and take lead. That way Elliot becomes less of a problem. Take away the run and they become beatable. We are not stopping him. Just need to make him irrelevant.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:21 pm
Hall of Famer

What do we have to do to beat Dallas?

Make their defensive line count 1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi, 3-Mississippi before they rush.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:26 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Make a deal to trade OLs and we MIGHT have a shot. :lol:

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:36 pm
All Pro Elite Player

LOLOL....
To beat Dallas? Maybe give our non-existent OL brass knuckles and tasers! But they would still called for motion and get pushed backwards all day.

I have been watching the Cowboy games this season with Game Pass, as I spent the money on it and I would LIKE to see some real quality football being played. Their front line is Amazing!. Even though our team is about to get humiliated on national TV, watch the game anyway and watch their OL. How far back do you old timers need to go in Viking films to see REAL OL play that makes for a great offense? A decade? They run complex blocking schemes that are timed like broadway choreography. It just gets me more pissed off at Spielman. Jerry Jones is a bit of a jerk but at least he is a football guy who knows that you cant have success without a rock solid OL.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:58 pm
Defensive Tackle

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
What do we have to do to beat Dallas?

Make their defensive line count 1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi, 3-Mississippi before they rush.

:lol:

Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:58 pm
Strong Safety

have them not show up or trade offensive lines with us

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:02 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Really, the only hope we have is the defensive line play out of their minds.Vikings are going to need some turnovers and short fields to have a chance. This could be a heart breaker.

Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:28 pm
Fenrir

I'll take a shot.

* Avoid costly penalties that kill drives, especially calls on the O-line. Hands to the face, chop blocks, false starts, can't have these.

* Rhodes needs to play like he did at the beginning of the season where he took the #1 threat out of the game. He needs to get into Dez's head and shut him down.

* Establish a running game. I realize the O-line is terrible but you aren't going to win without being able to keep the defense a little honest.

* Win the turnover battle and field position.

* Someone else on offense needs to step up if Diggs can't go. Rudolph and Thielen can't carry this team, this would be a really nice time for Treadwell to make an impact.

* Pray for no more injuries.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:46 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Fran the Man wrote:
Beating Dallas is just not going to happen, sorry to say. I know, 'On any given Sunday' but ...

...this will be a Thursday.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:19 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Sign Herschel Walker.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:28 pm
All Pro Elite Player

PsyDanny wrote:
Fran the Man wrote:
Beating Dallas is just not going to happen, sorry to say. I know, 'On any given Sunday' but ...

...this will be a Thursday.

Ha! Set myself up for that. Good one!

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:50 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Shoot down the Cowboys plane before it lands?

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

Run Norvs offense, pray.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:43 am
All Pro Elite Player

Raptorman wrote:
Fran the Man wrote:

Teams above .500 the Cowboys beat.

Steelers, 6-5
Redskins. Twice 6-4-1

Other wins.
Browns 0-11
Benglas 3-9-1
Ravens 5-5
49r's 1-9
Eagles 5-5
Bears 2-8.
Packers 4-6

Team they lost to.

Giants 7-3
I think we have a chance.

Sure hope you're right.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:37 am
Hall of Famer

pray alot

Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:05 pm
Starter

Score more

Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:46 pm
Commissioner

Mothman wrote:
Nunin gave some good answers. I'll add another point: convert on third down, sustain drives and score TDs instead of settling for FGs.

They need to do the latter because the Cowboys will score on the Vikes and it's unlikely the Vikings will be able to eke out a 13-10 victory or something similar.

They need to convert third downs and sustain drives not only to score but to keep their defense from getting worn down by the Cowboy's physical line and running game.

What does the Vikes offense need to do to move the ball?

I'd say they need to take a few shots downfield to open things up and they need to get the ball to players who can make yards on their own. Get the ball to Patterson, get the ball to Diggs if can play, get Wright involved. He's always been a good RAC player and he's inexplicably disappeared from the offense this season.

It's going to be a tall order.

It's a tall order but I sure agree with you and Nunin about the offense playing-to-win instead of going conservative. Even if the offense can't make it happen, we already know the paranoid approach isn't working. There's nowhere else to go for the Vikings offense other than putting the pedal to the metal.

The defense absolutely cannot get soft on any drive, particularly in the 4th quarter. And they really have to get their pass rush tenacity back in order. That will help a lot.

Patterson is a heck of a kick returner but the Vikings need to keep using him as a gunner on punts, too. He helps the defense get good field position.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:27 pm
Hall of Famer

Vikes can beat Dallas by playing the way they played in their 6 wins so far - basically, play mistake-free football on offense and create turnovers on defense.

As to whether they can do that, well, I'd say it's about 50-50.

It would be nice to see them go downfield a bit more on offense. I don't buy that Bradford doesn't have time to do that because he does, but admittedly it's not as safe as checking down. Still, if the defensive backs believe they don't have to worry about the deep ball they'll just sit back, watch the QB, and start jumping routes looking for picks.

Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:07 am
Commissioner

VikingLord wrote:
It would be nice to see them go downfield a bit more on offense. I don't buy that Bradford doesn't have time to do that because he does, but admittedly it's not as safe as checking down.

You don't have to buy it, Edward, but lack of time is a big problem for Bradford and the offense. The present OL is playing poorly and it's been an issue for years, even when the starters were healthy.

Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:16 am
All Pro Elite Player

losperros wrote:
VikingLord wrote:
It would be nice to see them go downfield a bit more on offense. I don't buy that Bradford doesn't have time to do that because he does, but admittedly it's not as safe as checking down.

You don't have to buy it, Edward, but lack of time is a big problem for Bradford and the offense. The present OL is playing poorly and it's been an issue for years, even when the starters were healthy.

Yes, the OL is a big problem, but to say Bradford NEVER has time to throw at least a couple of deep balls per game is ridiculous. I know Bradford isn't very mobile, but he doesn't need to be to try a roll out to give him a couple more seconds.

Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:51 pm
Starter

Purple Reign wrote:
losperros wrote:
VikingLord wrote:

Yes, the OL is a big problem, but to say Bradford NEVER has time to throw at least a couple of deep balls per game is ridiculous. I know Bradford isn't very mobile, but he doesn't need to be to try a roll out to give him a couple more seconds.

:appl: He has time as long as it's not done every down. That's what extra blockers and play action were designed to do. Sam prefers to check down all day and make his garbage stats look "good" on paper.If this is going to be the offensive scheme going forward they better get some beastly run after catch targets.

Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:24 pm
Commissioner

Purple Reign wrote:
losperros wrote:
VikingLord wrote:

Where did I say Bradford NEVER has time to throw at least a couple deep balls per game?

Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:42 pm
Hall of Famer

Find a genie's lamp and rub it.

Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:43 pm
Career Elite Player

Defensively:

- Zimmer has to be on point. Guess right and miss appropriately. The athletes on D need to show up.

Zimmer will have to call a great game. The margin for error is much more limited than versus any other opponent he's seen in his Vikings tenure, in my opinion. Dallas' offensive line is so good that blitz packages need not be a package, but individual blitz threats (needs to mix it up).

When Zimmer was first hired, a lot was made of sacks not being the true measure of great defense/pressure, and I agree...It's about collapsing the pocket, narrowing the running lanes, however you want to put it. The Vikings will need gap integrity. When facing a team like Dallas, that is so stout up front, you cannot over-pursue nor can you hang back...You have to suffocate the entire pocket and create a fog, cloud, if you will...Most importantly is the execution though...First and foremost, they need to freakin' tackle. They've seemed to forgot how to wrap-up of late.

I trust Xavier. He's aggressive, might get flags, but he's very good at what he does. Lock him up one on one with Dez and when Dallas is in the redzone, the Vikings can focus on what I mentioned above, because Dez hasn't even been a huge factor in this new look Dak/Zeke Cowboys. Barr to focus on Witten. If those two stay locked in, Dak may need to improvise. I thin Kendricks can keep up...The weirdest/biggest concern might be Beasley. He's been clutch for Dallas and has had very good chemistry with Dak. Munnerlynn will need to have a huge game. Beasley is young and quick, Captain will need to be savvy and anticipatory..

Offensively:

- Keep it methodical, the spots will find themselves. Keep getting 1st downs.

As an incurable optimist, the Vikings need to keep plugging away. I don't like this offense, but if they can get a few more first downs per game and even just convert to FG's, it might just be enough. That's asking for extreme efficiency (redudant?)...If Diggs is back then I think they offer one or two up for Patterson down the field. He's been a big contributor during this slump and given how he's been used, he should find some opportunity down the field now. Diggs, Rudolph have dominated the mid-range game and Thielen has been the jack of all trades...Keep dinking and dunking along...We see those CB's creeping up with man coverage on the outside (both sides)...Sam can take one step and throw a loft into a bucket, Diggs or Patterson will find the ball. Completion or not, with those athletes and Dallas onto their backups at CB, they could draw a few PI's....

If nothing else...Dallas is due and Minnesota is desperate...

Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next