View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 614 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Vikings @ Lions Game Day Discussion Thread -- Thanksgiving 
Starter

Post Re: Vikings @ Lions Game Day Discussion Thread -- Thanksgivi
Y'know speaking of Sam's intelligence go watch his post game press conferences and take a drink every time he says "Y'Know". I counted 14 in 30 seconds Y'know?

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:12 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Mothman wrote:
I understand your position. I just don't see much substance behind the article's position. Chase provided no evidence that Spielman could have had Bradford for considerably less. I can't find the tacit admission he's talking about.

It has the whiff of a hatchet piece or click bait in it's tone.....but I'm thinking Rosen might say something if it's false. So, maybe we'll find out.
:confused:

what a whacky season :rofl:

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:17 am
All Pro Elite Player

Found the following in an article on the internet this morning. Evidently Bradford even thinks the play calling is too conservative.

QB a culprit in offense's weakness

The Vikings have slipped to 6-5 after a 5-0 start, and Sam Bradford thinks the problem is the offense needs more explosive plays. He's right, and certainly the team's injury-gutted offensive line is part of the problem. But so too is the quarterback the team gave up a first-round pick for.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:32 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Nunin wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Nunin wrote:
foxsports had an article late yesterday after the game. i can't post links with my phone....but the eagle gm admitted that a 1st rounder was his ceiling and that rick never tried to budge him lower....which he would have done.

Thanks to both of you. I think I've found the article in question:

The Vikings only have themselves to blame for the Sam Bradford disaster

:(

yeah that was it.

I completely disagree that the trade is a a bust and that Sam has failed here..OR..that he is just a rental. I think same is a good QB in spite of any limitations he may have. Most QBs have at least one.

But the point I was trying to make by alluding to the article was that Spielman overpaid. Period. Assuming it's accurate. And since it's front page on foxsports I would think that Rosenface may want to dispute it if it's false.

:popcorn:
What a load of crap. Sorry, he doesn't even mention the o-line or other injuries. So, according to him, it's only the QB that wins or losses games. Does a healthy o-line guarantee success? Nope. Would Peterson in the backfield the whole season guarantee success? Nope. But tell me, would anyone here like to see where this team would be with Hill at QB the whole year? I also notice that the writer does not touch on that issue. It's easy to sit there after 5 loses in 6 games an criticize a decision. But I wonder, if the Vikings were sitting at 9-2 would he have written the same article? If you can say yes to that, then he has a point. At 9-2, I am sure he would be saying it was worth the deal.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:58 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Raptorman wrote:
What a load of crap. Sorry, he doesn't even mention the o-line or other injuries. So, according to him, it's only the QB that wins or losses games. Does a healthy o-line guarantee success? Nope. Would Peterson in the backfield the whole season guarantee success? Nope. But tell me, would anyone here like to see where this team would be with Hill at QB the whole year? I also notice that the writer does not touch on that issue. It's easy to sit there after 5 loses in 6 games an criticize a decision. But I wonder, if the Vikings were sitting at 9-2 would he have written the same article? If you can say yes to that, then he has a point. At 9-2, I am sure he would be saying it was worth the deal.

right. the whole point of mentioning the article was the bit about spielman not seeking a better deal than the one he got. the rest of the article is complete crap of an opinion.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:13 pm
Backup

AlldayPotter wrote:
Bradford is a very servacible quarterback.

But that's it. More and more we watch him every week we see more of what he has done throughout his time in the nfl. Although I do admit the line and play calling doesn't help (the obvious). But what I've seen and really have begun to hate is bradford has NO winning drive. I just feel like he is not the type of quarterback to lead a team back to win a game. At least teddy had that over bradford, example is the wild card playoff game (thanks walsh). Bradford is not clutch.
We have seen rodgers, Stafford, cousins do it , but just nothing with Bradford. And now that 1st and 4th is really hurting, especially if bradford doesn't help the team out and restructure his contract. I'm ok with him being the starter next year ( till teddy recovers) , but there better be a new OC.
We better draft nothing short of 4 Olineman in this year's draft. Hell just draft all of them. This is the year that has really shown how important offensive lineman are( dallas).

While I agree with what you're saying, Bradford did lead a game-winning touchdown drive against the Lions in week 9.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:19 pm
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
So when you lose Teddy, AP and both tackles did you expect the offense to get better?? I don't care if we had all the depth in the world

Actually, it seems like that would probably help. :lol:

Injuries have taken a toll on the team this year and losing Peterson in particular hurt. Losing the starting tackles did too and Bridgewater's injury was demoralizing for the team, although there's been no drop-off in overall QB performance without him. In fact, it's actually been better. However, continually leaning on injuries to excuse or explain away the team's offensive woes rings hollow when the offense has been bad under Zimmer, period. Injuries have helped make the offense even worse but it's not as if those injuries dropped the offense from the upper half of the league to rock bottom. Sadly, they didn't have very far to fall.

The problems run far deeper than injuries.

Maybe. But the injuries have ruined this team's chances to do whatever it could have done.

This probably wasn't a Super Bowl team before all the injuries. But it also wasn't a team that should've lost two very winnable games against a Detroit team that will likely get destroyed in the playoffs, and injuries played a direct role in those losses. Think of how close we are to being in position for a first-round bye -- win these two Detroit games, and we're 8-3 with a virtually insurmountable division lead. I mean, yesterday we were playing Willie Beavers at tackle and some other guy named Kerin, and we still almost won on the road.

Again, I'm not convinced this team was good enough to make the Super Bowl. But the mass of injuries to an already less-than-stellar offensive line have pretty doomed this team. We're not even in realistic playoff contention anymore. Even the most skeptical of Vikings fans probably didn't see this as a non-playoff team back in September.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:08 pm
Career Elite Player

I like the downfield passing game as much as anyone, and it's extremely frustrating watching another KAO. I miss Tommy Kramer, Warren Moon, Cunningham, and Culpepper. Heck I even miss Jeff George and Brett Favre :tongue:

But they simply cannot throw deep with this OL. Anytime he takes more than a 3 step drop, he's under heavy heavy pressure. There is just not enough time for deep routes to develop.

I suppose Sam could take a 3 step drop and throw a really high arching ball downfield, like a punt, and hope CJ can run under it :v):

It's really frustrating because a holding penalty is an automatic drive killer. If you add up the total time Bradford has in the pockey (on 1st down + 2nd down + 3rd down) and then how far the fastest WR can get downfield in that time, it is basically theoretically impossible to convert a 1st and 20 with about 13 YAC :rofl:

Bradford sure isn't the problem.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:14 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Maybe. But the injuries have ruined this team's chances to do whatever it could have done.

This probably wasn't a Super Bowl team before all the injuries. But it also wasn't a team that should've lost two very winnable games against a Detroit team that will likely get destroyed in the playoffs, and injuries played a direct role in those losses. Think of how close we are to being in position for a first-round bye -- win these two Detroit games, and we're 8-3 with a virtually insurmountable division lead. I mean, yesterday we were playing Willie Beavers at tackle and some other guy named Kerin, and we still almost won on the road.

Again, I'm not convinced this team was good enough to make the Super Bowl. But the mass of injuries to an already less-than-stellar offensive line have pretty doomed this team. We're not even in realistic playoff contention anymore. Even the most skeptical of Vikings fans probably didn't see this as a non-playoff team back in September.

Actually, we are not that far out. Chances are if they would win 4 of 5 they would be a wild card. But then, that goes to people believing they can beat the Colts, Packers, Bears and Jags. If they can't do that, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyway.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:23 pm
Veteran

Maelstrom88 wrote:
Teddy took more sacks than Sam throughout his career because Sam was always in a dink dunk offense where the defense doesn't have time to sack you. It's hard to get a sack when Sam immediately throws a swing route or a slant. Yea, great quick reads Sam! You diagnosed that defense so fast! Teddy was under Norv who asked him to look deep and stretch the field now and then.

14 tds year 1, 14 tds year 2. CAREER YPA 6.8

VBradfords career YPA 6.5 but 7.0 since he's left the Rams

So once again your comments carry zero facts, only more fiction.

Bridgewater got sacked a lot because he can't read defenses.

Put Bradford in with 2015 Peterson and that OL and this team is 9-2 at worst today.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:23 pm
Starter

What's Bradford's YPA since Shurmur took over this year? Check out this pff write up on how Sammy did yesterday.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-mi ... for-lions/

3.5 yard depth of target average is really good isn't it? Is that fact enough for you? It's OK you will eventually admit he sucks it might take you a year or two. I've watched every one of his NFL games. I know better.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:39 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Not sure if this article has been posted; apologies if it has.

An insider's view of the most important play yesterday and commentary on the Vikings conservative offensive philosophy:

Quote:
"For me as the post safety, it really gets to the point where, 'OK, they are throwing so much quick stuff that eventually they are going to throw something deep,'" Lions safety Glover Quin said. "They never did, so it was actually kind of lonely back there.

"He can complete all those passes, and getting 3, 4 yards here, they might turn up and get 8 [yards] one time, but the ball is not going down the field. If you’re going to do that, I probably could [complete] 80 percent throwing it that fast."

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-viki ... terception

Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:48 pm
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:

An insider's view of the most important play yesterday and commentary on the Vikings conservative offensive philosophy:

Quote:
"For me as the post safety, it really gets to the point where, 'OK, they are throwing so much quick stuff that eventually they are going to throw something deep,'" Lions safety Glover Quin said. "They never did, so it was actually kind of lonely back there.

"He can complete all those passes, and getting 3, 4 yards here, they might turn up and get 8 [yards] one time, but the ball is not going down the field. If you’re going to do that, I probably could [complete] 80 percent throwing it that fast."

I posted that one the previous page. :) It's definitely a good read and that quote shows why being overly conservative can be detrimental just like being recklessly aggressive. Being too conservative in the passing game is a bit like driving 20 miles under the speed limit in the passing lane.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:11 pm
Starter

Throw me out there I could complete 100 percent of the wide open swing routes that go for 1 yard. That stat is completely overrated.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:17 pm
Hall of Famer

Raptorman wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

Actually, we are not that far out. Chances are if they would win 4 of 5 they would be a wild card. But then, that goes to people believing they can beat the Colts, Packers, Bears and Jags. If they can't do that, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyway.

Our relatively soft late schedule is the biggest reason Detroit's likelihood to win the division is still only listed as a 50%.

But honestly, the way our offense is going, I don't see us as a favorite in any game except maybe the Bears, since Cutler is likely done for the year. That's not to say we can't win them, but unless we can get some continuity on the O-line, I'm afraid we're looking at an 8-8 team.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:21 pm
Hall of Famer

Maelstrom88 wrote:
What's Bradford's YPA since Shurmur took over this year? Check out this pff write up on how Sammy did yesterday.

3.5 yard depth of target average is really good isn't it? Is that fact enough for you? It's OK you will eventually admit he sucks it might take you a year or two. I've watched every one of his NFL games. I know better.

You've watched every one of his NFL games?

Why?

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:23 pm
Starter

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:

You've watched every one of his NFL games?

Why?

Glutton for punishment. I'm from Missouri and was a Rams fan until they moved. When they moved I bought NFL game pass and switched around between a few teams before picking the Vikings. When they traded for Sam I went back and watched all of the condensed versions of his Eagles starts last year.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:28 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

Quote:

I posted that one the previous page. :) It's definitely a good read and that quote shows why being overly conservative can be detrimental just like being recklessly aggressive. Being too conservative in the passing game is a bit like driving 20 miles under the speed limit in the passing lane.

Left lane sitters! They drive me nuts when I'm making time on a road trip. :lol: Pretty solid metaphor.

I figured I'd missed something--I read some of the doom and gloom, but fortunately I had a great dinner party with friends and family to keep me from wallowing in yesterday's disheartening loss. I think lots of folks sense that our season is likely over (and folks are in post-Turkey day stupor with free time to piss and moan) so there's an abundance of questioning whether Bradford trade was worth it, etc. etc.

In all honesty, I think it's remarkable that we're not getting blown out with the OL we are fielding. It's absurd how many guys we've lost this season. I have read your points about the 3 year tendencies on O under Zim, and you're right... but even so, it's really hard to arrive at any conclusions regarding this year due to the excessive number of injuries to the line (in particular, losing teddy and AD didn't help either).

Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving, Jim!

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:33 pm
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
Left lane sitters! They drive me nuts when I'm making time on a road trip. :lol: Pretty solid metaphor.

Thanks. I felt good about that one. :)

Quote:
I figured I'd missed something--I read some of the doom and gloom, but fortunately I had a great dinner party with friends and family to keep me from wallowing in yesterday's disheartening loss. I think lots of folks sense that our season is likely over (and folks are in post-Turkey day stupor with free time to piss and moan) so there's an abundance of questioning whether Bradford trade was worth it, etc. etc.

In all honesty, I think it's remarkable that we're not getting blown out with the OL we are fielding. It's absurd how many guys we've lost this season. I have read your points about the 3 year tendencies on O under Zim, and you're right... but even so, it's really hard to arrive at any conclusions regarding this year due to the excessive number of injuries to the line (in particular, losing teddy and AD didn't help either).

The way I look at it is those injuries to the line didn't all occur in week 1 or week 2 so we have some idea of how the offense looked when healthy (minus Bridgewater, of course). It's been a gradual decimation of the line but the offense has struggled most of the season. It's remarkable that they aren't getting blown out with the OL they're currently fielding but I think that says something about the OL they put on the field in the first place, before the linemen started going down.

Quote:
Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving, Jim!

I did, thanks. I hope you did too!

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:59 pm
All Pro Elite Player

RFIP wrote:

I'm really amazed at the lack of football knowledge on this board overall.

Your the type fan that…

It's BECAUSE you know ZERO about pro football.

Any chance you could stop with these kind of condescending comments?

I am fine with your arguments - making some points I tend to agree with. So it is not about content, it is about your approach.

This kind of thing is likely to attract warnings from moderators, with threats of being banned. Otherwise, people who have been on this board are likely to "Foe" you, more or less eliminating you from much of the conversation.

The fact are, this board goes back to Usenet Newsgroups days (including people like me) and a lot of people that know a heck of a lot about football (not so much me). But the thing that makes it work is that the ethic is plenty of room for disagreement without being jerks. It does happen - people being people. But usually ends up with warning and people that persist do not stay here long.

So I am asking - lighten up on the condescension but, otherwise, keep your thoughts coming.

Doing so is likely to keep you :welcome

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:02 pm
Career Elite Player

Not sure if this has been addressed in other threads, but did Harrison Smith look a few steps slower this game than he has the whole season? And what was up with the baggy sweats under his pads? His he trying to hid some elbow braces or something? He usually goes bareskin.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:19 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

smith got dinged up sunday night. ankle injury. maybe he's still feelin it?

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:23 pm
Career Elite Player

Nunin wrote:
smith got dinged up sunday night. ankle injury. maybe he's still feelin it?

That's what was reported, but you never know the severity. It was clear, however, that he was much slower than usual yesterday. I noticed a few replays where he wasn't jumping in on to help gang tackle or be the second man of support that he usually would be.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:27 pm
Transition Player

Having read all of your thoughts, there is much over reaction and undue hatred being thrown around.
I have always been overly critical of Spielman and if I am placing blame anywhere, it's him.
Bradford didn't draft or sign these OL and continue to pay for subpar performances.
Zimmer may have selected Norv, Shurmur, and the coaching staff, but the personnel is not entirely on him.

Bradford has the natural tools and when given some time, has the ability to make every throw. Biggest knock on him is just how quickly he checks down and his lack of mobility.

If I am Zygi..... I look at my roster and ask if it's a SB contending roster. IMO, not even close. Defensively, I think that we are good enough to win a SB, realistically another year though and they are special. I hope that we finally add a big fat strong DT. Joseph is a great talent, but remember the Williams wall? I would look for a big fella like fat Pat was.

Offensively though I think we suck. I think that we have a lot of really good pieces but their talents are not being utilized to the fullest. Problem starts and ends with the OL. Very little can be accomplished if we cannot either open up running lanes or pass block. You have to be able to do one or the other to win. Right now, they cannot do neither. The QB cannot feel comfortable allowing for the WR routes to develop. The RB have nowhere to run, the OC has no idea how to move the ball because these guys continue to get hurt and now our line looks like Legos...

So, again, the blame falls on the OL, but I think it's a bigger problem. I think the problem is Spielman. He obviously believes that athletes and play makers win games, but he does not value building the OL. He has missed often with his selection of OL in the draft and not even that good with FA. Until he believes that you win the LOS and you win the game.... We will continue to be disappointed as fans.
On a side note, ever thought that we're the team that always drafts the guy that falls ???? Floyd, Patterson, Bridgewater, Treadwell, Alexander, Clemmings.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:05 pm
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Being too conservative in the passing game is a bit like driving 20 miles under the speed limit in the passing lane.

It's a simile, not a metaphor.

Don't you just hate grammar police? :whistle:

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:38 pm
Hall of Famer

IIsweet wrote:
Having read all of your thoughts, there is much over reaction and undue hatred being thrown around.
I have always been overly critical of Spielman and if I am placing blame anywhere, it's him.
Bradford didn't draft or sign these OL and continue to pay for subpar performances.
Zimmer may have selected Norv, Shurmur, and the coaching staff, but the personnel is not entirely on him.

Bradford has the natural tools and when given some time, has the ability to make every throw. Biggest knock on him is just how quickly he checks down and his lack of mobility.

If I am Zygi..... I look at my roster and ask if it's a SB contending roster. IMO, not even close. Defensively, I think that we are good enough to win a SB, realistically another year though and they are special. I hope that we finally add a big fat strong DT. Joseph is a great talent, but remember the Williams wall? I would look for a big fella like fat Pat was.

Offensively though I think we suck. I think that we have a lot of really good pieces but their talents are not being utilized to the fullest. Problem starts and ends with the OL. Very little can be accomplished if we cannot either open up running lanes or pass block. You have to be able to do one or the other to win. Right now, they cannot do neither. The QB cannot feel comfortable allowing for the WR routes to develop. The RB have nowhere to run, the OC has no idea how to move the ball because these guys continue to get hurt and now our line looks like Legos...

So, again, the blame falls on the OL, but I think it's a bigger problem. I think the problem is Spielman. He obviously believes that athletes and play makers win games, but he does not value building the OL. He has missed often with his selection of OL in the draft and not even that good with FA. Until he believes that you win the LOS and you win the game.... We will continue to be disappointed as fans.
On a side note, ever thought that we're the team that always drafts the guy that falls ???? Floyd, Patterson, Bridgewater, Treadwell, Alexander, Clemmings.

I'm going to challenge you (and others) on this one.

Phil Loadholt -- not an All-Pro, but a solid tackle, especially in the running game. Spielman didn't cause his achilles to tear.
Matt Kalil -- considered to be easily the best O-lineman coming out of college when he was drafted, and made the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Spielman didn't cause him to suddenly go into suck mode, or to be constantly hurt, or to go on IR. And how many of us would KILL to have him at LT right now?
John Sullivan -- on the cusp of being an All-Pro until he hurt his back. Spielman didn't cause his back to go out, nor did he force Sullivan to lift weights before his back was ready.
Brandon Fusco -- among the top-rated guards on PFF a couple of years ago. Now he gets knocked on his a$$ every other play. Why has he descended into suckitude? I'm sure Spielman is as perplexed as anyone.
Joe Berger -- good enough to replace Sullivan, but now he's hurt.
Alex Boone -- after a slow start, he's been solid, but even he has missed time due to injury.
Andre Smith -- we can argue whether he was any good, but the fact remains that he was a high draft choice and gave us at least a chance of being average at RT -- until he got hurt and went on IR.
Mike Harris -- Widely regarded as one of our top O-linemen last year. Where is he now? He's like Jimmy Hoffa -- has disappeared without a trace. Rick's fault?

Has O-line been a priority in the early draft rounds for Spielman. No. But not every team builds a line that way. The Vikings have gone the "draft low and develop" route. As I've said many times, it may not be the way we think he ought to build an O-line, but it's what he's chosen to do, and there's precedent for it. He's far from the only GM to go this route. And we can sit here and go "Dallas Cowboys" all we want, but the Cowboys haven't won squat for years, and until they do, there's no reason to make their "draft the entire line in the first round" the model. Their defense is not terribly good, and I believe they will get exposed in the playoffs.

Here's the other truth ... we are 6-5, having played with a line that has had 10 or 11 different combinations due to injury. I honestly believe that if our opening day line had been able to stay together, we might very well be 8-3 or better right now. Continuity is everything with an O-line, and we've had none. I believe there has only been one instance this entire season where the same 5 guys were together for 2 games in a row -- we won the second of those two games against the Cardinals.

We all like to say, "Can't make injuries an excuse." That's a nice buzz phrase, but the truth is that talent wins in this league, and virtually every O-lineman close to having real talent is on the shelf. When you're trotting out Willie Beavers at RT and T.J. Clemmings at LT, it's a miracle this team even had a chance to win on the road.

Obviously something's got to be done for next season. But I doubt you'll ever see another year like this for injuries to one unit of a Vikings football team. It's been brutal.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:01 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Iron Lion wrote:
While I agree with what you're saying, Bradford did lead a game-winning touchdown drive against the Lions in week 9.

Did I miss something? I thought Detroit won that game. :lol:

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:24 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

echoing Kapp:

it's been a rough season for a talented team.
a perfect storm, if you will.
nothing to be gained by assigning blame.
everyone is frustrated~

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:49 pm
Veteran

Purple Reign wrote:
Iron Lion wrote:

Did I miss something? I thought Detroit won that game. :lol:

You are correct sir. He led them to the go-ahead score only to watch it disappear. In fact he did that in both Lions games, leading 4th Q scoring drives that the defense coughed up, and in the skins game he led them back from 10-0 down to a 20-14 lead which didn't hold up either. That's 3 of the five losses right there.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:27 am
Rookie

Maybe if the offense could put up more than 16 points in either game vs the Lions than the defense wouldn't be able to cough it up

Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 614 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next