Vikings @ Lions Game Day Discussion Thread -- Thanksgiving

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RFIP
Veteran

Re: Vikings @ Lions Game Day Discussion Thread -- Thanksgivi

Post by RFIP »

Maelstrom88 wrote: No what Spielman should have done was not roll with Hill as the backup just so teddy felt safe in his job security. If they knew Hill wasn't someone they felt comfortable starting then why waste a roster spot on him? Why not sign Nick Foles for no draft pick compensation? Why not draft a better backup qb behind teddy whenever teddy really hasn't been that great anyways? Why not haggle and laugh when the Eagles wanted a first for a QB who they wanted out anyways after drafting Wentz. Trading a first for Sam was more stupid than taking Ponder in the first as high as they did and that's really saying something.
2009 - Bradford wins Heisman and was "thinking" of coming out. WOULD HAVE 100% been the Lions pick over Stafford as documented by Gary Danielson years ago.

2010 - AFTER missing most of season at OU with broken clavicle Bradford is STILL taken #1 overall by Rams

2015 - Coming off TWO ACL tears Bradford is STILL traded to Eagles for a 2nd, 4th AND their starting QB Nick Foles

2016 - Bradford is traded to the Vikings for a 1st and 4th

NONE of the above happens with a player who is not SUPREMELY talented, and it ALL happened because of Sam's abilities.

Folks need to get over it and realize he was dealt a crap hand in Minnesota this year.

Rebuild the line, PRAY Treadwell isn't a complete bust and I promise you Sam Bradford is more than capable of winning a Super Bowl or two.

Give this cat time to throw and completing passes for first downs will not be a problem. Give him a legit run game too and the sky is the limit for this offense because there is no part of this field he can't reach with ease.

For those who prefer a running QB, I can't help you as nothing is going to change your mind.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

RFIP wrote: Do you mean how the Eagles got fleeced the year before when they traded the Rams their 2nd, 4th AND Nick Foles for Bradford?

Good grief...
no, i meant the vikings. i thought it was pretty clear from my post. not even sure what the rams/eagles trade has to do with what i posted.
-
i get it, dude...you like sam bradford. when i read how the eagles gm was stunned that rick didn't try to talk him down and admits he would've taken less than a 1st for sam? that says to me rick got hosed. has nothing to do with sam, afaic. so, you can chill~
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Chip Kelly was terrible at roster building and made a stupid trade. Spielman was desperate and made a stupid trade. He throws a pretty spiral sometimes. He also has all of the weaknesses I and others have said. He is not a great or probably even good QB at this level. Has he been dealt a bad hand with all the injuries? Absolutely. Has he ever been on a good team? Debatable. If Norv thought so highly of him why did he resign? Wouldn't you want to stick around if you had a great defense, franchise QB, and young talented wideouts like Diggs? Sure the oline has lots of issues but that could be fixed in the offseason. Why retire when you are on a team with so many great pieces to build on for Super Bowl runs?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Not sure what the real story behind Norv's retirement is. It could have just been a way of putting a happy face on the fact he was let go.
Maybe something definitive has been put out there...but I haven't seen it.
Last edited by Nunin on Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
randomghost11
Rookie

Post by randomghost11 »

RFIP wrote: 2009 - Bradford wins Heisman and was "thinking" of coming out. WOULD HAVE 100% been the Lions pick over Stafford as documented by Gary Danielson years ago.

2010 - AFTER missing most of season at OU with broken clavicle Bradford is STILL taken #1 overall by Rams

2015 - Coming off TWO ACL tears Bradford is STILL traded to Eagles for a 2nd, 4th AND their starting QB Nick Foles

2016 - Bradford is traded to the Vikings for a 1st and 4th

NONE of the above happens with a player who is not SUPREMELY talented, and it ALL happened because of Sam's abilities.

Folks need to get over it and realize he was dealt a crap hand in Minnesota this year.

Rebuild the line, PRAY Treadwell isn't a complete bust and I promise you Sam Bradford is more than capable of winning a Super Bowl or two.

Give this cat time to throw and completing passes for first downs will not be a problem. Give him a legit run game too and the sky is the limit for this offense because there is no part of this field he can't reach with ease.

For those who prefer a running QB, I can't help you as nothing is going to change your mind.
Sam showed abilities in college and that is why he was drafted high but plenty of QBs drafted high didn't live up to expectations and even though Sam isn't as bad

as say Jamarcus Russell, he is not worth a 1st round pick. The eagles traded for him because chip kelly was a nut in philly as the gm. The guy made plenty of

poor decision as gm and the vikings saved the eagles from that trade going down as a failure by being desperate for a qb. Now Sam could win a super bowl if

things are just right just like Manning last year but unless Sam takes multiple leaps forward as a QB, he won't lead any team to a super bowl. The vikings need to

get some talent on the offensive line before super bowls should be a thought. Just keep Sam and Teddy (If he recovers) unless some idiot gm decides to trade for

one because there is no way to find the answer at qb if everyone we put back there is flat on the ground after 2 seconds.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

randomghost11 wrote: Sam showed abilities in college and that is why he was drafted high but plenty of QBs drafted high didn't live up to expectations and even though Sam isn't as bad

as say Jamarcus Russell, he is not worth a 1st round pick. The eagles traded for him because chip kelly was a nut in philly as the gm. The guy made plenty of

poor decision as gm and the vikings saved the eagles from that trade going down as a failure by being desperate for a qb. Now Sam could win a super bowl if

things are just right just like Manning last year but unless Sam takes multiple leaps forward as a QB, he won't lead any team to a super bowl. The vikings need to

get some talent on the offensive line before super bowls should be a thought. Just keep Sam and Teddy (If he recovers) unless some idiot gm decides to trade for

one because there is no way to find the answer at qb if everyone we put back there is flat on the ground after 2 seconds.
I'd also like to add running back to that list as well. I am a fan of Adrian, but he will be 32 come March and coming off another knee injury. Finding his replacement should be key as well. McKinnon and Asiata given the chance are proving they can't cut it. Not sure what the running back crop looks like this draft, but the backfield need to be addressed this offseason. We have, what, 8 picks this upcoming draft, at last 4 should be on the offensive line along with o line being priority in the offseason. Our defense is fine, but if they're being forced to be on the field because of quick 3 and outs, they will be worn out.
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

i don't recall anyone questioning the bradford trade when we were 5-0. these boards are utterly hilarious sometimes. the entire team has crumbled around him, what do you expect at this point? the trade is done with get over it.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

I deliberately stayed away from the forum last night, as i knew there would be some Bradford bashing, and to be honest i knew it would boil my P***. Bradford has been nothing short of a revelation. What reasons do the haters give? The dink and dunking? What choice does he have? He's given the plays, and the plays are so conservative because we cant give any intermediate plays a chance to develop because there's no time. Why is that Bradford's fault?
Yes the interception in the end was a bad decision, but up until that very throw, i cant remember many if any brain farts he'd had previously, in the entire season.

The reasons he was critiqued for before were, firstly and most importantly his durability. Well, he's been pummeled and he's still going. Big tick.
he was a bit feet happy in the pocket when under pressure. Nope he's gone through that, in the face of constant pressure.
Accuracy issues, Hasn't missed many has he?
So for me, everything he was supposed to be bad at, he has improved.
And he still has his strengths.
His arm strength and usual decision making cannot be faulted.

For me, if we got rid of him like the boo boys seem to want, we would be much worse off. Especially for seasons to come. If i had to take a fit 2015 Teddy or Sam, i know who currently i'd pick. And i'm sure most level headed people would feel the same.
We all hope that Teddy will get back to playing. And if he does, we hope he will progress like he promised to before the injury. But, make no mistake about it, even if that is the case, Bradford will provide great competition for him.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

UKno1VIKING wrote:I deliberately stayed away from the forum last night, as i knew there would be some Bradford bashing, and to be honest i knew it would boil my P***. Bradford has been nothing short of a revelation. What reasons do the haters give? The dink and dunking? What choice does he have? He's given the plays, and the plays are so conservative because we cant give any intermediate plays a chance to develop because there's no time. Why is that Bradford's fault?
Yes the interception in the end was a bad decision, but up until that very throw, i cant remember many if any brain farts he'd had previously, in the entire season.

The reasons he was critiqued for before were, firstly and most importantly his durability. Well, he's been pummeled and he's still going. Big tick.
he was a bit feet happy in the pocket when under pressure. Nope he's gone through that, in the face of constant pressure.
Accuracy issues, Hasn't missed many has he?
So for me, everything he was supposed to be bad at, he has improved.
And he still has his strengths.
His arm strength and usual decision making cannot be faulted.

For me, if we got rid of him like the boo boys seem to want, we would be much worse off. Especially for seasons to come. If i had to take a fit 2015 Teddy or Sam, i know who currently i'd pick. And i'm sure most level headed people would feel the same.
We all hope that Teddy will get back to playing. And if he does, we hope he will progress like he promised to before the injury. But, make no mistake about it, even if that is the case, Bradford will provide great competition for him.
And may I add:

Bridgewater last year with the same OL for all 16 games, best RB in football - 65.3 comp % 3,231 passing yards, 14 tds, 9 ints AND the "mobile QB" was sacked 44 times (83 - EIGHTY-THREE! in 2 years)

Bradford with the turn-style 2016 OL with zero run game has, in 10 games - 71.3 comp % 2,415 passing yards (pace for 3,864 in 16 games), 12 tds (on pace for 19), 3 ints (on pace for 5) AND the "immobile QB" has been sacked 26 times (on pace for 42)

Also keep in mind that Bradford, although being drafted by a historically bad team that was 5-43 in its previous 3 seasons, has NEVER been sacked in his career more than 36 times in a season.

Bridgewater year 1 was sacked 39 times and year 2 an incredible 44 times with THAT running game and at least a constant OL.

But lets not let reality get in the way of a good bashing....
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

AlldayPotter wrote:Just read that Sam Bradford is the first quarterback to complete 30 passes and have under 225 yards passing. Bradford was 31/37.
Our offense doesn't play to win.
Bingo! It's been that way since Zimmer arrived. He's an aggressive defensive coach with an ultra-conservative offensive mindset.

That's not to say there aren't other issues. There are injury problems, personnel problems, but the conservative approach on offense has been similar to what we saw during Brad Childress' first few seasons in Minnesota. I'm fed up with it. I hate "play not lose" football.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

it is hard to watch, that's for sure. especially with the weapons they have.
i would rather see some picks of attempts downfield rather than throwing 3yds short of sticks on 3rd down.
-
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Nunin wrote:it is hard to watch, that's for sure. especially with the weapons they have.
i would rather see some picks of attempts downfield rather than throwing 3yds short of sticks on 3rd down.
-
... or settling for FGs like a hungry dog eager for scraps.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mosscarter wrote:i don't recall anyone questioning the bradford trade when we were 5-0. these boards are utterly hilarious sometimes. the entire team has crumbled around him, what do you expect at this point? the trade is done with get over it.
Exactly. Guys were saying he could possibly be the QB of the future. Now he throws 1 pick to end a game and he's the worst QB on earth. Just cracks me up
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

it was probably the strangest game i've ever watched in terms of playcalling.
Can't say with any certainty that Sam/Shurmur/Zimmer was more responsible than the other as to why they never threw downfield...but I'd guess they all bear some responsibility.
-
frustrating ...KAO3.0
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Exactly. Guys were saying he could possibly be the QB of the future. Now he throws 1 pick to end a game and he's the worst QB on earth. Just cracks me up
i think sam has a good future in purple...but when you find out that he could have been had for considerably less, it's like WTF?