Vikings @ Lions Game Day Discussion Thread -- Thanksgiving

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings @ Lions Game Day Discussion Thread -- Thanksgivi

Post by Boon »

There was another one in a graphic simms was talking about that he threw it to Johnson on 2nd and 15 but he had Rudolph running up the seam open. Its panic
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

RFIP wrote:
I'm really amazed at the lack of football knowledge on this board overall. A few understand the game but many...wow "my dad was a Ram fan back in the day and he has no pocket awareness..blah, blah, blah.."

As I have said before, I have SEEN EVERY THROW THIS GUY HAS MADE...not some...EVERY SINGLE THROW since his FIRST SNAP at OU! If you are thinking he's the problem I would suggest you start following another sport because this one is way, WAY over your head.

And I'll ask this AGAIN so maybe someone here will answer: Which team HAD their OL, wr's, and RB in tacked today, AND played at home? yet was locked in a 13-13 tie in the last minute of play? I mean they had their so called GREAT QB and everything else going FOR them! And which team was on their FOURTH OT, 2nd C, and without their top wr????

Yep, it's clear to me now, this is Bradford's fault for the loss, hell at least HE had enough sense where to line up when he played WR! Patterson???? Embarrassing... :steamed:
My exact thoughts ^. The sad thing is, I jumped down Blair Walshs throat for missing an XP last time we played them and I was criticized saying it was ridiculous to blame him. Even though if he made that XP it would've forced Detroit to score a TD in the end rather than a FG. But NOW everything is Bradfords fault. Some of you have some serious blinders on. Literally doesn't have a weapon around him and he's the bad guy. There's much bigger issues on this offense. But some of you constant complainers needs someone to blame so why not the QB
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Boon wrote:There was another one in a graphic simms was talking about that he threw it to Johnson on 2nd and 15 but he had Rudolph running up the seam open. Its panic
Lol maybe he's getting rid of some too quick but what would you do in that situation?? When youve been demolished multiple times. When you've changed your offense because you don't trust your OL??? What would you do? Would you maybe get a little trigger happy so you don't get killed??? Like I said there are much bigger problems on this offense
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: My exact thoughts ^. The sad thing is, I jumped down Blair Walshs throat for missing an XP last time we played them and I was criticized saying it was ridiculous to blame him. Even though if he made that XP it would've forced Detroit to score a TD in the end rather than a FG. But NOW everything is Bradfords fault. Some of you have some serious blinders on. Literally doesn't have a weapon around him and he's the bad guy. There's much bigger issues on this offense. But some of you constant complainers needs someone to blame so why not the QB
As Aikmann said last week (and he is NOT a big Sam fan) "Bradford IS ALL THIS TEAM HAS ON OFFENSE.."
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RFIP wrote:
I'm really amazed at the lack of football knowledge on this board overall. A few understand the game but many...wow "my dad was a Ram fan back in the day and he has no pocket awareness..blah, blah, blah.."

As I have said before, I have SEEN EVERY THROW THIS GUY HAS MADE...not some...EVERY SINGLE THROW since his FIRST SNAP at OU! If you are thinking he's the problem I would suggest you start following another sport because this one is way, WAY over your head.

And I'll ask this AGAIN so maybe someone here will answer: Which team HAD their OL, wr's, and RB in tacked today, AND played at home? yet was locked in a 13-13 tie in the last minute of play? I mean they had their so called GREAT QB and everything else going FOR them! And which team was on their FOURTH OT, 2nd C, and without their top wr????

Yep, it's clear to me now, this is Bradford's fault for the loss, hell at least HE had enough sense where to line up when he played WR! Patterson???? Embarrassing... :steamed:
I'm not saying Bradford was the sole reason for the loss and I have also seen every pass he has made at least in the NFL and let me tell you he is not a great quarterback he is average at best. He has always hesitated to throw downfield and he loves taking the check down even if it's third and 10 he's happy picking up four or five yards. Also my dad was a Vikings fan back in the day but you were correct in saying that he has zero pocket awareness. Clearly if you have followed him to every team from college your opinion must be a little skewed because you are a huge fan of his. I think he would be serviceable with a great team around him but he isn't anything special.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Maelstrom88 wrote: I'm not saying Bradford was the sole reason for the loss and I have also seen every pass he has made at least in the NFL and let me tell you he is not a great quarterback he is average at best. He has always hesitated to throw downfield and he loves taking the check down even if it's third and 10 he's happy picking up four or five yards. Also my dad was a Vikings fan back in the day but you were correct in saying that he has zero pocket awareness. Clearly if you have followed him to every team from college your opinion must be a little skewed because you are a huge fan of his. I think he would be serviceable with a great team around him but he isn't anything special.
Your the type fan that "now" says you'd rather him take chances BUT as soon as he does "he's too careless with the ball.."

Zimmer ball and, what remains of this offense, doe snot allow for ANY mistakes. This offense, as it remains since the OT's and AP went down, limps along solely on what Sam can do with what little time he has. ZERO run game, pass pro is even worse, I won't rag on the receivers too much because Thelien is money and so is Diggs, Rudolph is a serviceable TE but NOTHING CLOSE TO Gronk as he should be with his size/catch radius. The rest of the "weapons" are lucky to be employed...at least Patterson is a swiss arm knife who can make a few plays, Treadwell looks more and more like a bust.

Bradford's arm talent and smarts is undeniable to anyone who knows football, he gets dinged by those who want him to run around and extend plays or force balls to receivers who can't win 50/50 plays, THEN they will pounce on him even more.

The dude has never once had capable NFL talent to play with, first drafted by a team in St Louis that was a COLLECTIVE 5-43 the 3 years prior to his arrival and now, think on this for a moment, less than 2 years ago he was in the Rams offense, then Kelly's, then Shurmur's at the end last year, then Norv's and now Shurmur's Viking offense...all the while adapting to THREE different sets of receivers, trying to learn their every nuisance of route running and reliability.

I really thought Minnesota was "it" for him, he had found his team...then AP went down, then both tackles, then the 3rd tackle (Long) and today #4 AND the center.

What's left is a heap of crap for an OL, 2 sub-par RB's and a wr corps left sorely lacking with Diggs either sitting or limping through games.

Those my friend, are the FACTS.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

He has never led an NFL team to a winning record. He has an atrocious YPA average with every team. He is injury prone and has no ability to escape pressure with awful pocket awareness. Thielen, Patterson, Treadwell, and Rudolph are good weapons. Yes the offensive line is terrible and that necessitates a lot if quick passes but you have to throw deep sometimes or the defense will sit on short routes. He looked pretty careless on that pick no? At least if that pick had come on a deeper throw the defense could have held them out of FG range. Sam has been drastically overpayed throughout his career and needs to take a paycut this offseason. Don't expect it though because he has never put the team ahead of his paycheck with the Rams or Eagles to my knowledge.
mael·strom

AlldayPotter
Backup

Post by AlldayPotter »

Bradford is a very servacible quarterback.

But that's it. More and more we watch him every week we see more of what he has done throughout his time in the nfl. Although I do admit the line and play calling doesn't help (the obvious). But what I've seen and really have begun to hate is bradford has NO winning drive. I just feel like he is not the type of quarterback to lead a team back to win a game. At least teddy had that over bradford, example is the wild card playoff game (thanks walsh). Bradford is not clutch.
We have seen rodgers, Stafford, cousins do it , but just nothing with Bradford. And now that 1st and 4th is really hurting, especially if bradford doesn't help the team out and restructure his contract. I'm ok with him being the starter next year ( till teddy recovers) , but there better be a new OC.
We better draft nothing short of 4 Olineman in this year's draft. Hell just draft all of them. This is the year that has really shown how important offensive lineman are( dallas).
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Maelstrom88 wrote:He has never led an NFL team to a winning record. He has an atrocious YPA average with every team. He is injury prone and has no ability to escape pressure with awful pocket awareness. Thielen, Patterson, Treadwell, and Rudolph are good weapons. Yes the offensive line is terrible and that necessitates a lot if quick passes but you have to throw deep sometimes or the defense will sit on short routes. He looked pretty careless on that pick no? At least if that pick had come on a deeper throw the defense could have held them out of FG range. Sam has been drastically overpayed throughout his career and needs to take a paycut this offseason. Don't expect it though because he has never put the team ahead of his paycheck with the Rams or Eagles to my knowledge.
lol he's played for the rams and the Eagles under Kelly. Both teams were horrendous and not because of him. But keep digging maybe something will stick
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

That Eagles team has a lot of the same players and are playing well this year. What about his horrendous YPA everywhere? That's sticks doesn't it? You will realize sooner or later Sam is not a winning QB and he's average at best. The only way he would win would be if he had a great defense, offensive line and skill positions around him. By the way Teddy isn't much better. The Vikings do not have their QB of the future on this roster. At least if they want a good QB that is.
mael·strom

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Maelstrom88 wrote:That Eagles team has a lot of the same players and are playing well this year. What about his horrendous YPA everywhere? That's sticks doesn't it? You will realize sooner or later Sam is not a winning QB and he's average at best. The only way he would win would be if he had a great defense, offensive line and skill positions around him. By the way Teddy isn't much better. The Vikings do not have their QB of the future on this roster. At least if they want a good QB that is.
Completely different offensive scheme that has proved to be ineffective in the NFL. And not nearly as good of a defense. Weird sam started 4-0. Defense crapped the bed following that. Not that Sam played bad. He literally has nothing around him right now. But carry on....
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

So no comment on him being injury prone, unable to avoid sacks, or his paltry YPA throughout his career? Or his absolute desire not to compete with any other QB a team wants to bring in or how he is never willing to take a paycut to help his team build a winner?
mael·strom

purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

Maelstrom88 wrote:So no comment on him being injury prone, unable to avoid sacks, or his paltry YPA throughout his career? Or his absolute desire not to compete with any other QB a team wants to bring in or how he is never willing to take a paycut to help his team build a winner?
I have a comment in the form of a question. Is there any other QB in the league less mobile than Sam? Hell, even Brady runs for a 1st down once in a while.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Maelstrom88 wrote:So no comment on him being injury prone, unable to avoid sacks, or his paltry YPA throughout his career? Or his absolute desire not to compete with any other QB a team wants to bring in or how he is never willing to take a paycut to help his team build a winner?

So he's injury prone, unable to avoid sacks, and has a paltry TYA AND his absolute desire not to compete with any other QB a team wants to bring in or how he is never willing to take a paycut to help his team build a winner? - YET everyone keeps trading #1 picks for him AND giving him $17+mil/year huh? Why is that?

It's BECAUSE you know ZERO about pro football. My guess is you are a FF player. Don't answer, your comments spell that out to me (that or you are a child posting on this board and only watch parts of a few games in which case I apologize for trying to inform you).

See pro personal people KNOW what he is and what he can and has done.

Wonder what Norv thought of Sam?? His "vision" and his "anticipation"?

Oh wait, HERE IT IS!

Vikings OC Norv Turner has been around a while. He's been an NFL coach for the last 31 years and has spent the last 26 as either a head coach or offensive coordinator.

He's worked with quarterbacks in the "great" tier (Troy Aikman), "very good" tier (Philip Rivers) and "solid" tier (Alex Smith).

And yet Turner recently said Sam Bradford's vision "is as good as any QB I've ever coached."

"I just think you get excited about a guy and you make that statement," Turner said, per the Vikings' official site. "I believe it’s true. That doesn’t take away from someone else and the way they play the game. Sam, he can anticipate. He sees what’s happening out in front of people. He can relate back to you what he sees and most of the time he’s pretty accurate.”

High praise for the former Eagles signal-caller, who brings a 5-0 Vikings team into his return to the Linc this Sunday.

Bradford has carried last season's late success into 2016. He leads the NFL with a 70.4 percent completion rate. He's thrown six TDs in four games and averaged 247.5 yards. Among quarterbacks with at least 100 attempts, only Bradford and Chicago's Brian Hoyer have yet to throw an interception.

"It's pretty remarkable," Turner said. "Everyone knows the story. It’s really a tribute to him. His ability to prepare, his experiences. I think his past experiences in the league help him in this situation. And then I think it’s a lot of people that have helped to contribute to his success, whether it be coaches or other players."

Turner has been especially impressed by Bradford's arm strength and ability to anticipate throws. The Vikings are missing Adrian Peterson and starting left tackle Matt Kalil, and yet Bradford has this offense humming more than Teddy Bridgewater did the last two years. Vikings fans thought their season was crumbling when Bridgewater tore up his knee right before Week 1. Turned out the Vikings may have gotten better.

"He’s very good at (throwing receivers open) because, as I’ve said, I think he sees the big picture awfully well," Turner said of Bradford. "Sometimes guys don’t have the ability to throw a guy open because they don’t know what’s happening somewhere else. They don’t see enough, a wide enough scope. So they’re afraid to get themselves in trouble throwing it to different spots."

Bradford hasn't been. He has some decent skill players in Stefon Diggs, Charles Johnson, Cordarrelle Patterson and tight end Kyle Rudolph, but he's also bringing the best out of them.

Bradford is under contract next season as well. That was an important factor in Minnesota's trade for him because the organization doesn't know how quickly Bridgewater will be able to return, or whether he'll even win the starting job back next summer. If Bradford keeps playing like this, perhaps he turns out to be the Vikings' QB of the future. And he's still just 28 years old.

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-e ... er-coached

Ah, Turner must just be an idiot too... I mean you know more than him right?
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

RFIP wrote:
So he's injury prone, unable to avoid sacks, and has a paltry TYA AND his absolute desire not to compete with any other QB a team wants to bring in or how he is never willing to take a paycut to help his team build a winner? - YET everyone keeps trading #1 picks for him AND giving him $17+mil/year huh? Why is that?

It's BECAUSE you know ZERO about pro football. My guess is you are a FF player. Don't answer, your comments spell that out to me (that or you are a child posting on this board and only watch parts of a few games in which case I apologize for trying to inform you).

See pro personal people KNOW what he is and what he can and has done.

Wonder what Norv thought of Sam?? His "vision" and his "anticipation"?

Oh wait, HERE IT IS!

Vikings OC Norv Turner has been around a while. He's been an NFL coach for the last 31 years and has spent the last 26 as either a head coach or offensive coordinator.

He's worked with quarterbacks in the "great" tier (Troy Aikman), "very good" tier (Philip Rivers) and "solid" tier (Alex Smith).

And yet Turner recently said Sam Bradford's vision "is as good as any QB I've ever coached."

"I just think you get excited about a guy and you make that statement," Turner said, per the Vikings' official site. "I believe it’s true. That doesn’t take away from someone else and the way they play the game. Sam, he can anticipate. He sees what’s happening out in front of people. He can relate back to you what he sees and most of the time he’s pretty accurate.”

High praise for the former Eagles signal-caller, who brings a 5-0 Vikings team into his return to the Linc this Sunday.

Bradford has carried last season's late success into 2016. He leads the NFL with a 70.4 percent completion rate. He's thrown six TDs in four games and averaged 247.5 yards. Among quarterbacks with at least 100 attempts, only Bradford and Chicago's Brian Hoyer have yet to throw an interception.

"It's pretty remarkable," Turner said. "Everyone knows the story. It’s really a tribute to him. His ability to prepare, his experiences. I think his past experiences in the league help him in this situation. And then I think it’s a lot of people that have helped to contribute to his success, whether it be coaches or other players."

Turner has been especially impressed by Bradford's arm strength and ability to anticipate throws. The Vikings are missing Adrian Peterson and starting left tackle Matt Kalil, and yet Bradford has this offense humming more than Teddy Bridgewater did the last two years. Vikings fans thought their season was crumbling when Bridgewater tore up his knee right before Week 1. Turned out the Vikings may have gotten better.

"He’s very good at (throwing receivers open) because, as I’ve said, I think he sees the big picture awfully well," Turner said of Bradford. "Sometimes guys don’t have the ability to throw a guy open because they don’t know what’s happening somewhere else. They don’t see enough, a wide enough scope. So they’re afraid to get themselves in trouble throwing it to different spots."

Bradford hasn't been. He has some decent skill players in Stefon Diggs, Charles Johnson, Cordarrelle Patterson and tight end Kyle Rudolph, but he's also bringing the best out of them.

Bradford is under contract next season as well. That was an important factor in Minnesota's trade for him because the organization doesn't know how quickly Bridgewater will be able to return, or whether he'll even win the starting job back next summer. If Bradford keeps playing like this, perhaps he turns out to be the Vikings' QB of the future. And he's still just 28 years old.

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-e ... er-coached

Ah, Turner must just be an idiot too... I mean you know more than him right?
dude....lol