View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Top 10 graded PFF players of the week 
Backup

Post Top 10 graded PFF players of the week
1. Xavier Rhodes

And

10. Danielle hunter

Rhodes had amazing game, Palmer had a rating of 0.0 when throwing to him on 7 targets.

Danielle hunter had 2 crucial sacks and was top on our team with 9 pressures on Palmer. Is hunter the starter yet? And if not, why is he not. He now has the team high of 7 sacks for a backup DE.

And finally, on a side note. Just my opinon, so far this season I feel like Anthony Barr is not being used very well in our defense. Statistically he is not haviNG a good year. The same with Harrison smith (even though he is like no. 4 on PFF for safties). Just feel like Harrison smith should be in more coverage and Barr should be the one to blitz more often. Then again, we do have 3rd ranked defense. But that's just my 2 cents. Just feel like Barr is the odd man out this year on our defense.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:35 pm
Starter

Post Re: Top 10 graded PFF players of the week
I'm not sure if Hunter is officially a starter because they may feel he isn't stout enough vs. the run but he is probably their best pass rusher with the possible exception of Griffen. I agree on Barr. He should be utilized more as a blitzer imo.

Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:39 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Maelstrom88 wrote:
I'm not sure if Hunter is officially a starter because they may feel he isn't stout enough vs. the run but he is probably their best pass rusher with the possible exception of Griffen. I agree on Barry. He should be utilized more advanced a blitzer imo.

RE: Barr. That was his major talent coming out of UCLA, after all. It seems odd that he very rarely is sent on blitzes now and has become a coverage LB.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:00 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Texas Vike wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:
I'm not sure if Hunter is officially a starter because they may feel he isn't stout enough vs. the run but he is probably their best pass rusher with the possible exception of Griffen. I agree on Barry. He should be utilized more advanced a blitzer imo.

RE: Barr. That was his major talent coming out of UCLA, after all. It seems odd that he very rarely is sent on blitzes now and has become a coverage LB.

According to Pro Football Reference Greenway only got 15 snaps yesterday (20.3%). Lamur got 1 snap and all others zero (aside from Barr & Kendricks). This tells me that most of the time Zim is playing with only 2 LBs so Barr and Kendricks are forced to cover (or spy). Barr got 100% of the defensive snaps at 74 and EK got 93.2%.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:15 pm
Backup

That's crazy Barr played 100% of the snaps, guess I didn't realize how much we play only 2 LB. Harrison is basically hybrid safety/LB , just wierd that they have him doing thst over sandejo, since Harrison smith is so good at coverage INTS.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:37 pm
All Pro Elite Player

AlldayPotter wrote:
That's crazy Barr played 100% of the snaps, guess I didn't realize how much we play only 2 LB. Harrison is basically hybrid safety/LB , just wierd that they have him doing thst over sandejo, since Harrison smith is so good at coverage INTS.

The previously much maligned Sendejo has actually become pretty stout at those. He has had some blown coverage but as far as missed INT chances... I haven't seen any plays this year with him were I would have said "Harrison would have been in position for that!"

Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:18 pm
Hall of Famer

Harrison Smith's sack yesterday was a thing of beauty.

I can't tell you how many times during the game he zipped up toward the line like he was going to blitz, then hustled back into coverage. He faked it many times, but Zimmer never sent him. Finally, when Zimmer sent him on that last drive, the Cardinals were caught completely off guard. Hitman came untouched, and he really got on Palmer in a hurry, even though he was hobbled a bit from an earlier collision.

Barr was in on 7 tackles yesterday, so it wasn't like he was invisible. He's not blitzing that much, but as another poster suggested, the Vikings are in nickel so much that there's rarely more linebackers than Barr and Kendricks on the field.

I wonder where Trae Waynes ended up on PFF's rankings. Honestly, I don't care what PFF says. It was plain to me yesterday -- that guy is glue. He was all over the Cardinals' receivers. I know he got the two flags, but one was B.S. A great deal of Palmer's issues in the second half were because Waynes was mirroring his man so well. When this kid learns to minimize the penalties, he and Rhodes are going to be REALLY tough as a tandem.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:27 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

J. Kapp 11 wrote:

I can't tell you how many times during the game he zipped up toward the line like he was going to blitz, then hustled back into coverage. He faked it many times, but Zimmer never sent him. Finally, when Zimmer sent him on that last drive, the Cardinals were caught completely off guard. Hitman came untouched, and he really got on Palmer in a hurry, even though he was hobbled a bit from an earlier collision.

Barr was in on 7 tackles yesterday, so it wasn't like he was invisible. He's not blitzing that much, but as another poster suggested, the Vikings are in nickel so much that there's rarely more linebackers than Barr and Kendricks on the field.

I wonder where Trae Waynes ended up on PFF's rankings. Honestly, I don't care what PFF says. It was plain to me yesterday -- that guy is glue. He was all over the Cardinals' receivers. I know he got the two flags, but one was B.S. A great deal of Palmer's issues in the second half were because Waynes was mirroring his man so well. When this kid learns to minimize the penalties, he and Rhodes are going to be REALLY tough as a tandem.

Thanks for mentioning Waynes! That kid played a great game from what I saw. He made a couple of nice tackles too. I'm in agreement about him and Rhodes going forward. The secondary looks good~

Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:02 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Nunin wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

Thanks for mentioning Waynes! That kid played a great game from what I saw. He made a couple of nice tackles too. I'm in agreement about him and Rhodes going forward. The secondary looks good~

I love the secondary, once waynes gets a better grasp of things ( I am thinking next year) it is going to be awesome. Sendejo still gets on my nerves, the dude needs to learn how to wrap up a tackle. I really wanted the Vikings to try and draft Landon Collins to play next to smith... that would be a awesome duo!

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:02 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Norv Zimmer wrote:
Nunin wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

I love the secondary, once waynes gets a better grasp of things ( I am thinking next year) it is going to be awesome. Sendejo still gets on my nerves, the dude needs to learn how to wrap up a tackle. I really wanted the Vikings to try and draft Landon Collins to play next to smith... that would be a awesome duo!

Don't you think it's time we invest in OTHER positions? Like OL, for example? :lol:

I love that the future looks so bright for our secondary and that they got back to being dominant in the 2nd half of the AZ game. There's a real symbiosis between our DL and secondary, though. We need to get pressure for the secondary to be at their best, and when they cover well they give the DL a bit more time to get that pressure.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:17 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

morning~
-
i actually think Sendejo has become more of an asset as time goes by. They can always look to upgrade, but like Tex said, they hopefully will be using high picks for other spots. Maybe Kearse will get it figured out too.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:07 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Nunin wrote:
morning~
-
i actually think Sendejo has become more of an asset as time goes by. They can always look to upgrade, but like Tex said, they hopefully will be using high picks for other spots. Maybe Kearse will get it figured out too.

He's been significantly better than he was last year. Still, his 3 million salary could be more use next year going toward a new LT, or OG.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:16 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

fiestavike wrote:
Nunin wrote:
morning~
-

He's been significantly better than he was last year. Still, his 3 million salary could be more use next year going toward a new LT, or OG.

I just made a comment in another thread about the bradford trade and team building but i forgot to mention the point you make here. The vikes have several guys who IMO make way more than they earn. they gotta do a lot of shifting this offseason so they can build correctly from a financial perspective too.
-
on a sidenote i just read that the vikes lead the league in salary paid to guys on IR...$30mil+

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:27 am
Hall of Famer

I'd be careful pulling the trigger too quickly on Sendejo. Our pass defense has not been nearly as good when he's been out. His ability to be where he's supposed to be allows Harrison Smith to roam the way he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:36 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I'd be careful pulling the trigger too quickly on Sendejo. Our pass defense has not been nearly as good when he's been out. His ability to be where he's supposed to be allows Harrison Smith to roam the way he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt about it Kapp. The team is not as good when he's not there, and I think that applies on run fits as well. It will depend what they do about guys under contract like Peterson, Bradford, Floyd, Robison, and what they prioritize with guys like Patterson, Kalil etc. They might have plenty of cap room, and 3 million isn't a lot to pay for a starting S. If it comes down to it though, they need to coach up the young guys on rookie deals and give that money to someone who can protect the QB and open some lanes in the run game.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:00 pm
Backup

I completely agree with sandejo and Waynes. I've noticed our defense is much better with sendejo in there when kearse was starting.
And with Waynes, I feel he is getting the treatment Rhodes got when he was starting out, getting alot of flags. But Waynes is good and always on his guy and actually makes plays for the ball. Loved when he redeemed himself in the green bay game!!!

And as for overpaid players, I'm ok with parting ways with peterson if he doesn't come back for cheap. And for some reason I think Bradford will redo his contract for the sake of the team (he has already made like what 100 mil in nfl).
And what about jarious wright? We just gave him decent contract and don't even need him, hopefully we can do trade with him or something .....

Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:07 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

i agree with all those points^

-
and it's interesting you bring up wright. this team is absolutely loaded with speed at wr. i cannot get my head around why they think the solution to their protection and running game problems lies in going max protect so often.
-
like the wildcat wrinkle, i would really like to see them spread it out and go 4-5 wide several times a game. get those defenders outta the box. go 4 wide with jet in the backfield then motion him out wide. run slants and quick routes....attack defenses with your speed ala the martz era rams. bradford gets the ball out quickly and accurately on those routes.
-
if they ran a no huddle with wright, thielen, cp and diggs? with jet as an outlet and play action theat?.....forget CJ for a moment.
wouldn't this be difficult to cover?
-
just seems like a collossal waste of talent and poential thus far

Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:32 pm
Hall of Famer

The guy who is fast becoming one of my favorite players is Adam Thielen. I didn't realize until I saw the Vikings live -- he's got some size. And he's fairly fast. Not CP fast, but he can get separation, and he's got great hands and footwork. He's made himself into a really good player.

Thielen's story makes him the kind of player that it feels impossible not to root for, but now he's becoming truly productive. At the beginning of the Cardinals game, he was pretty much dominating his man. In fact, the whole "Patrick Peterson will shadow Stefan Diggs" strategy went out the window around the second quarter, when they started putting Peterson on Thielen. That tells you something.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:20 pm
Commissioner

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
The guy who is fast becoming one of my favorite players is Adam Thielen. I didn't realize until I saw the Vikings live -- he's got some size. And he's fairly fast. Not CP fast, but he can get separation, and he's got great hands and footwork. He's made himself into a really good player.

Thielen's story makes him the kind of player that it feels impossible not to root for, but now he's becoming truly productive. At the beginning of the Cardinals game, he was pretty much dominating his man. In fact, the whole "Patrick Peterson will shadow Stefan Diggs" strategy went out the window around the second quarter, when they started putting Peterson on Thielen. That tells you something.

I've been saying all season long Thielen is a heck of a receiver. The guy is so athletically inclined. He is 6'3" and has clocked mid-4.4/40 times, plus he has great hands. Add to that his football smarts and he's a WR who should be on the field a lot.

It's interesting to note one of Thielen's best friends is Cordarrelle Patterson. I think both players are giving a 100 percent all the time.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:36 pm
Hall of Famer

losperros wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

I've been saying all season long Thielen is a heck of a receiver. The guy is so athletically inclined. He is 6'3" and has clocked mid-4.4/40 times, plus he has great hands. Add to that his football smarts and he's a WR who should be on the field a lot.

It's interesting to note one of Thielen's best friends is Cordarrelle Patterson. I think both players are giving a 100 percent all the time.

I didn't realize he clocked that fast. That's right around what CP runs. But it doesn't surprise me. From where I was sitting in the end zone Sunday, it was obvious that Thielen was a handful. The Cardinals had to move Patrick Peterson on him. Thielen was giving them fits.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:13 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

he's tough as nails too

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:34 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

And how cool that he's a home grown talent... from Detroit Lakes, grew up idolizing Cris Carter and loving the Vikings. He has that everyman quality. He's impossible not to cheer for.

Interesting tid bit on his Wiki page regarding his speed/ explosiveness:

Quote:
Thielen did not receive an invitation to perform at the 2013 NFL Combine, but he did attend a Regional Combine in Chicago on March, where he performed well enough to warrant an invitation to the Super Regional Combine held in Dallas, Texas in April. There, he showcased his athletic ability, completing the 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds and impressing in the three-cone drill with a time of 6.77 seconds, a mark that would have placed him in the top-20 at the NFL Combine

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:57 pm
Starter

Love Thielen! Imo he us the second best WR they have behind Diggs.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:07 pm
Commissioner

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
losperros wrote:

I didn't realize he clocked that fast. That's right around what CP runs. But it doesn't surprise me. From where I was sitting in the end zone Sunday, it was obvious that Thielen was a handful. The Cardinals had to move Patrick Peterson on him. Thielen was giving them fits.

Keep in mind Patterson has clocked a personal best in the 4.2 range, according to NFL Draft Scout. He usually clocked 4.3/40 times for Tennessee. Apparently, he was coming off some leg injury during the combine, which led to a 4.42/40. It's amazing to think a 4.4/40 time is slow for CP. He's got to be one of the fastest big WRs I've ever seen.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:13 pm
Commissioner

Maelstrom88 wrote:

I absolutely agree. And I think Patterson has moved to the third best WR on the team.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:14 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Did Charles Johnson even play any offensive snaps?? I saw Treadwell a few times. I don't remember seeing Johnson. If so, thats a good thing. Roll with Diggs, Thielen, CP and Treadwell. They are far and away better than Johnson

Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:41 am
Veteran

losperros wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:

I absolutely agree. And I think Patterson has moved to the third best WR on the team.

The depth chart would agree with you.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:27 am
Rookie

I like what they're doing with Patterson. I never was too high on the guy last year, but I see I'm wrong in thinking he wouldn't get any better. He's definitely become my ideal "Utility" guy, and is such a multi-layered player (He has, what, three roles on the team?).

You can also throw me onto the Thielen train. Dude's improved by leaps and bounds and you could definitely tell he had the "it" factor late last year. He, Diggs, and CP are a ridiculously underrated WR corps.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:58 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

losperros wrote:

What an odd couple! One arrived as an UDFA with virtually zero "reputation capital". The other came via a first round pick that actually entailed four total picks and huge expectations to be the next big thing. But you're right, they both give 100% all the time. I suspect that Thielen's "I'll do anything to help the team" approach was absorbed by Patterson. How fun would it be to have a beer with these two?

Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:51 am
Veteran

Rhodes Closed wrote:
I like what they're doing with Patterson. I never was too high on the guy last year, but I see I'm wrong in thinking he wouldn't get any better. He's definitely become my ideal "Utility" guy, and is such a multi-layered player (He has, what, three roles on the team?).

You can also throw me onto the Thielen train. Dude's improved by leaps and bounds and you could definitely tell he had the "it" factor late last year. He, Diggs, and CP are a ridiculously underrated WR corps.

agreed. you could say that with the talent we have at the skill positions, it points even more towards our lines inability to block in recent weeks. And the coaches for not managing the scenario correctly.
The receivers we currently have as a group, are the best i've seen at club for a long long time.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next