View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Vikes-Cards ... The Good and The Bad 
Hall of Famer

Post Vikes-Cards ... The Good and The Bad
First, the exceptional
Just got back from the game, my first at U.S. Bank. WOW. The stadium is absolutely spectacular. I wish I could go to every game. First time in my life that the in-stadium experience was as good or better, in every way -- including technologically -- than the TV-watching experience. The video operator was amazing. We had replays probably as fast as Fox had them. The Thielen TD -- it was so obvious it was a TD, and SO SOON AFTER THE PLAY, that I felt completely confident in going to get a hamburger while the ref was under the hood. The video boards really add to the experience. And the atmosphere -- just amazing!

As for the game ...

The Good
Jeff Locke
The guy flat-out kicked his butt off. Had a 47-yard NET today. The 72-yarder was not only a great outcome, it was one of the best kicks I've ever seen. Very high, very far, and over toward the sideline. It completely turned the field and in many ways won us the game. Super clutch kick.

Xavier Rhodes
Easy to love the two picks, especially the pick-six. But this guy simply shut down whoever he was covering. He made tackles in space, he covered like a blanket, and just had himself the game of his career. If he's not the NFC Defensive Player of the Week, there ought to be an investigation. For the record, X-man's pick-six was the second-most exciting play I've ever seen in person at a Vikings game (sorry, but Favre-to-Lewis in 2009 was simply unbelievable). Great play by Rhodes, great call by Zimmer, and talk about a momentum-turner.

Vikings first-half offense
They did a nice job mixing it up, getting a little going in the running game, protecting Bradford, and scoring in the red zone. Unfortunately, it didn't stay that way (see below).

Vikings second-half defense
The Cardinals gained 27 total yards after halftime. Twenty-seven! The defense was back to its early-season form in the second half. Simply ferocious. Unfortunately, they didn't start that way (see below).

Cordarrelle Patterson
This kid is coming to play every game, and today was his best of the season. Talk about a guy playing with a purpose. I absolutely PRAY we can re-sign him.

The Bad
The running game
I don't even know how to describe this ... it's even worse in person than it looks on TV. Other than Asiata's effort on the TD and a couple of runs in the first half, the running game was abysmal. Yet ...

Second-half play calling
... they kept trying to run the ball in the second half, especially after going up by 14. All of a sudden the imagination and creativity of the first two scoring drives went out the window. The tempo slowed, and they fell in love with the Wildcat. Ugh.

Kickoffs
Kai Forbath may be a decent field-goal kicker, but the dude CANNOT kick off. This is truly a problem. His kicks were low AND short. The funniest thing ... the incredible cheer when he made his first extra-point attempt. Never seen a crowd that on-edge over a dang extra point.

First-half defense
What on earth was THAT? Arizona ran the ball down our throats. It must have been embarrassing -- and must have drawn Zimmer's ire -- because they were a totally different defense in the second half.

All in all, a win. Ugly? Yes. Beautiful because it was a win? Definitely.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:08 pm
Fenrir

Post Re: Vikes-Cards ... The Good and The Bad
Glad you had a good time, the stadium is definitely something to see!

Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:14 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Nice report, I enjoyed reading it.

I can't wait to get to a game in person.

BTW, we could hear the cheers for Kai's first PAT on TV. We were laughing about it in the game day thread.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:01 pm
Career Elite Player

The live report is definitely appreciated. I wouldn't expect to see Locke on something like this, but it's assuring to know that what we see on the telly is what is really going on in the stadium.

Could not agree more with Xavier and CP...Huge standouts today and I'm sure it was much more apparent at the stadium.

Thank you!

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:19 am
Veteran

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
First, the exceptional
Just got back from the game, my first at U.S. Bank. WOW. The stadium is absolutely spectacular. I wish I could go to every game. First time in my life that the in-stadium experience was as good or better, in every way -- including technologically -- than the TV-watching experience. The video operator was amazing. We had replays probably as fast as Fox had them. The Thielen TD -- it was so obvious it was a TD, and SO SOON AFTER THE PLAY, that I felt completely confident in going to get a hamburger while the ref was under the hood. The video boards really add to the experience. And the atmosphere -- just amazing!

As for the game ...

The Good
Jeff Locke
The guy flat-out kicked his butt off. Had a 47-yard NET today. The 72-yarder was not only a great outcome, it was one of the best kicks I've ever seen. Very high, very far, and over toward the sideline. It completely turned the field and in many ways won us the game. Super clutch kick.

Xavier Rhodes
Easy to love the two picks, especially the pick-six. But this guy simply shut down whoever he was covering. He made tackles in space, he covered like a blanket, and just had himself the game of his career. If he's not the NFC Defensive Player of the Week, there ought to be an investigation. For the record, X-man's pick-six was the second-most exciting play I've ever seen in person at a Vikings game (sorry, but Favre-to-Lewis in 2009 was simply unbelievable). Great play by Rhodes, great call by Zimmer, and talk about a momentum-turner.

Vikings first-half offense
They did a nice job mixing it up, getting a little going in the running game, protecting Bradford, and scoring in the red zone. Unfortunately, it didn't stay that way (see below).

Vikings second-half defense
The Cardinals gained 27 total yards after halftime. Twenty-seven! The defense was back to its early-season form in the second half. Simply ferocious. Unfortunately, they didn't start that way (see below).

Cordarrelle Patterson
This kid is coming to play every game, and today was his best of the season. Talk about a guy playing with a purpose. I absolutely PRAY we can re-sign him.

The Bad
The running game
I don't even know how to describe this ... it's even worse in person than it looks on TV. Other than Asiata's effort on the TD and a couple of runs in the first half, the running game was abysmal. Yet ...

Second-half play calling
... they kept trying to run the ball in the second half, especially after going up by 14. All of a sudden the imagination and creativity of the first two scoring drives went out the window. The tempo slowed, and they fell in love with the Wildcat. Ugh.

Kickoffs
Kai Forbath may be a decent field-goal kicker, but the dude CANNOT kick off. This is truly a problem. His kicks were low AND short. The funniest thing ... the incredible cheer when he made his first extra-point attempt. Never seen a crowd that on-edge over a dang extra point.

First-half defense
What on earth was THAT? Arizona ran the ball down our throats. It must have been embarrassing -- and must have drawn Zimmer's ire -- because they were a totally different defense in the second half.

All in all, a win. Ugly? Yes. Beautiful because it was a win? Definitely.

I have to believe the 2nd half play calling was by a directive from Zim to Shurmur. You are correct, it was "turtle in the shell" like for sure.

Zimmer has to understand that ANY negative play that puts the OL behind the chains has a 99% chance of causing a punt on said drive.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:52 am
Defensive Tackle

Thanks for the great game report, Kapp! I'm glad you had a good experience.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:43 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Thanks for sharing Kapp.....glad to hear you enjoyed the experience AND we won. Maybe you should go to ALL the home games moving forward :tongue:

Totally agree that we need to do whatever it takes to keep CP on the roster. Even though this game was fugly at times I think this kind if emotional win is exactly what we needed going in to a short week and such a big game coming up. We all know and share the positives from yesterday so I will focus on the negatives.....

1. Run Defense.....what the hell?
2. Taking the foot off the gas when in the lead.
3. Penalties......and more penalties
4. Can't leave out OL/run game

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:09 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

autobon7 wrote:

These two go together it seems. When we get ahead, we aren't able to run the ball and keep the clock moving. Shurmur needs to figure out how to creatively eat clock with methodical drives that don't entail running our backs straight into a wall. Either that, or just don't change the approach at all. We moved the ball well with a combination of passing and running early on. By being so excessively conservative on offense, we essentially sat on our lead and asked our D to win it for us.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:25 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Texas Vike wrote:
autobon7 wrote:

These two go together it seems. When we get ahead, we aren't able to run the ball and keep the clock moving. Shurmur needs to figure out how to creatively eat clock with methodical drives that don't entail running our backs straight into a wall. Either that, or just don't change the approach at all. We moved the ball well with a combination of passing and running early on. By being so excessively conservative on offense, we essentially sat on our lead and asked our D to win it for us.

This drives me nuts.....I know they want to play mistake free I get that but always letting teams hang around until the end sucks. Our D has been exposed by both good and bad teams so I just don't wanna rely solely on that tactic....although Zim will anyway. Such is life

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:36 am
All Pro Elite Player

I am fine with the foot off the gas I think the biggest issue is that our OC seems to believe that running it up the gut for an all but guaranteed "no gain" in these situations and 30 seconds off the clock is more valuable than a seemingly much more likely completion for a short gain and a the potential to move the chains and eat into the clock.

The failed pass to Patterson was crushing because if means they are going to retreat back into the "run run run punt, yay 2 minutes off the clock if we are lucky" mode.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:44 am
All Pro Elite Player

Zim appears to be a stereotypical Defensive Coordinator who gets a Head Coaching Job...no comprehension of how to handle an offense and a fast reflex to Turtle Up the offense with even the smallest of leads. It's like a caricature. He has got to get over this.....I dont think there really is any fixing the problems at RB this year....we dont have the talent at RB or the OL to mask the problem. Its just going to be this way all season. The only place for improvement is the passing game with some good creativity and using the young talent. We are seeing glimmers of it but even that is hard if the QB gets 1.5 seconds of "protection". Kudos to Bradford for making Lemonade out of stale moldy lemons.
As far as kick offs.....why not just on-sides kick every time? Its nolt like this new kid can kick much further then that anyway.... :twisted:

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:18 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

They can eat clock with the passing game, they just need more discipline, ie, WR getting tackled in bounds. Also, better play clock awareness, when you have the lead, every play should eat 35+ seconds.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:30 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

mansquatch wrote:
They can eat clock with the passing game, they just need more discipline, ie, WR getting tackled in bounds. Also, better play clock awareness, when you have the lead, every play should eat 35+ seconds.

That's what I would dial up. Lots of short, quick passes to our weapons (Diggs, CP84, even Wright---where was he this week?, Thielen) combined with a variety of runs. The main goal is to eat clock; the best way to do it is to get first downs. Our OL isn't good enough to simply impose itself, especially when they know it's coming, so we need to get creative and play smart.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:54 am
Defensive Tackle

chicagopurple wrote:
Zim appears to be a stereotypical Defensive Coordinator who gets a Head Coaching Job...no comprehension of how to handle an offense and a fast reflex to Turtle Up the offense with even the smallest of leads. It's like a caricature. He has got to get over this....

He really does fit the stereotype.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:54 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

in spite of the run games lack of productivity, the only way for it to improve is to attempt it during the game. so while we can bemoan the playcalling it does stand to reason that with all the in-continuity along the line, they need to keep trying to run the ball and work out their issues.

i'm not advocating run run pass punt....but ya know what i'm saying?

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:09 pm
Career Elite Player

thanks for the report!

Its seems as though the Vikings defense is a totally different defense with a 7+ point lead. I'm not sure what it is..... More confidence? More aggressive play calling by Zimmer? The opposing offense abandons the running game?

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:09 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

i agree he probably does fit the stereotype, but the question remains, why not hire someone who is a really good offensive coordinator? i know its hard when you don't have a line, but has there really been a big difference between norv and shurmer? the offensive point output surely has not gone up leaps and bounds. we've honestly had a poor offense for a really long time now. it's kind of hard because we've had one thing after another happen as far as injuries and progress. teddy had a great preseason i never saw him throw like that, but by no means does that mean it would have carried over to the regular season. it's well documented how horribly i thought he played last year, but one has to wonder was much of that because of norv's conservative approach? bradford has a really strong arm, but i don't see them going deep down the field very often (certainly more than last year, but you can't get any worse than last year's lack of attempts).

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:28 pm
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:

In the NFL, the clock only stops on out-of-bounds plays in the final 2 minutes of the first half or the final 5 minutes of the game. So out of bounds really doesn't have an effect except in those times. Incompletions stop the clock, so if the Vikings were trying to run clock in the last 5 minutes, throwing the ball was more of a risk. However, given that Bradford is hitting 70% of his passes, it doesn't seem that risky.

My real issue yesterday came when we were ahead 30-17. There was still plenty of time left left, but the Vikings had already gone into a shell at that point. The worst part was after the strip-sack of Bradford and the Cardinals got their second-half TD to pull within 30-24. That, to me, was a time to answer with a great scoring drive -- or AT LEAST flip the field position. There was still about 7 and a half minutes left -- plenty of time for Arizona to take the lead if we went 3-and-out ... which we did. Locke got off a good kick, but the Arizona guy ran it back to the Vikings' 47. That was the point when the stadium just DEFLATED. The dread was incredible. It was like everybody went, "Here we go ... it's Detroit all over again."

Thankfully the Vikings dialed up the pass rush and forced the Cards to punt.

The whole second half, when CP's kick return put the Vikings up 10, it felt like the Vikings got very conservative. That's the reason for my analysis that the second-half play calling was terrible. Doesn't exactly take an expert to make such an analysis, but there you go. :tongue:

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:05 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

mosscarter wrote:
i agree he probably does fit the stereotype, but the question remains, why not hire someone who is a really good offensive coordinator? i know its hard when you don't have a line, but has there really been a big difference between norv and shurmer? the offensive point output surely has not gone up leaps and bounds. we've honestly had a poor offense for a really long time now. it's kind of hard because we've had one thing after another happen as far as injuries and progress. teddy had a great preseason i never saw him throw like that, but by no means does that mean it would have carried over to the regular season. it's well documented how horribly i thought he played last year, but one has to wonder was much of that because of norv's conservative approach? bradford has a really strong arm, but i don't see them going deep down the field very often (certainly more than last year, but you can't get any worse than last year's lack of attempts).

It is noticeably better from where it was versus Chicago and Philadelphia. But it is still anemic at best. My sense is that the deep game is lacking more due to protection and a lack of a rushing attack than any other reasons, so I wouldn't get too down on Bradford for that. We'll probably see it get a bit more interesting before the season is over as they've only had about 4 weeks of pure Shurmer, but we are porbably mostly seeing the limits of what this offense can do already.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

i spose i could post this on several threads, but i'll put it here.

the cardinals defense is number one against the pass and total yds per game. they only give up 19 points per game which is 10th in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=ARI

in light of that and knowing how much trouble the vikes offense has had, i think shurmer and co. did a good job against this team. i think it would be a tall task to expect the vikes offense to outperform the cards defense in what was a must win game for them. i think it's way too much for anyone to expect the vikes to impose their will on a team like that.

i think a better gauge going forward, is what kind of performance we get out of them against teams who are softer on defense. a team like detroit for instance:
http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=DET

i think shurmur is turning things around quickly in spite of the infirmary at o-line.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Defensive Tackle

Nunin wrote:

the cardinals defense is number one against the pass and total yds per game. they only give up 19 points per game which is 10th in the league.

in light of that and knowing how much trouble the vikes offense has had, i think shurmer and co. did a good job against this team. i think it would be a tall task to expect the vikes offense to outperform the cards defense in what was a must win game for them. i think it's way too much for anyone to expect the vikes to impose their will on a team like that.

i think a better gauge going forward, is what kind of performance we get out of them against teams who are softer on defense. a team like detroit for instance:

i think shurmur is turning things around quickly in spite of the infirmary at o-line.

Maybe but the offense played at a similar level or better in a couple games before the bye so how much of it is Shurmur turning things around and how much of it is just the game-to-game difference in matchups, individual performances, etc.?

in the end, I guess that doesn't really matter as long as they're getting better after the eggs they laid against Philly and Chicago. :)

Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:54 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Mothman wrote:
Nunin wrote:

Maybe but the offense played at a similar level or better in a couple games before the bye so how much of it is Shurmur turning things around and how much of it is just the game-to-game difference in matchups, individual performances, etc.?

in the end, I guess that doesn't really matter as long as they're getting better after the eggs they laid against Philly and Chicago. :)

true on both accounts.....

my point is more to the fact that they lost 2 more tackles and switched OCs in that time.

CP is being unleashed, they're using an effective no huddle and they are gaining more yards on a consistent basis. they are obviously struggling to score and run the ball, but fortunately there are enough games left to establish some kind of consistency going forward.

i don't expect a whole lot out of the offense because it just hasn't been much this season from the getgo. BUT....if the defense can get back on track, i do believe that the way shurmur is using the roster, CP for and the different wrinkles for examples, that they stand a solid chance of returning to the formula that served them in the first 5 weeks but with a lot less predictability on offense.

whether that is enough to doing anything significant in January? dunno, but it does look they are playing better. maybe the losing streak will be a blessing?

Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:06 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Nunin wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Nunin wrote:

my point is more to the fact that they lost 2 more tackles and switched OCs in that time.

CP is being unleashed, they're using an effective no huddle and they are gaining more yards on a consistent basis. they are obviously struggling to score and run the ball, but fortunately there are enough games left to establish some kind of consistency going forward.

i don't expect a whole lot out of the offense because it just hasn't been much this season from the getgo. BUT....if the defense can get back on track, i do believe that the way shurmur is using the roster, CP for and the different wrinkles for examples, that they stand a solid chance of returning to the formula that served them in the first 5 weeks but with a lot less predictability on offense.

whether that is enough to doing anything significant in January? dunno, but it does look they are playing better. maybe the losing streak will be a blessing?

Just to chime in I think some of this is our OC playing catch up and almost outsmarting himself sometimes in an effort to try out X number of plays to see what makes the cut before the playoffs. If they pare back on the WC and the gimmicks I think Bradford will perform a little better with more chances to find a rhythm.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:13 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

IrishViking wrote:

Just to chime in I think some of this is our OC playing catch up and almost outsmarting himself sometimes in an effort to try out X number of plays to see what makes the cut before the playoffs. If they pare back on the WC and the gimmicks I think Bradford will perform a little better with more chances to find a rhythm.

that's what i'm feeling to some degree. the continuing losses along the line are complicating it some too.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 pm
Backup

Nunin wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Nunin wrote:

I really like this post and the points you make. I agree with you that Shurmer has done a solid job. Not perfect, but solid for what he has had to overcome. I think the Lions matchup is a good one for this offense (and the D for that matter) right now. It will be a good gauge as to how they can perform against a softer D. Arizona's D it tough and they did a decent job of taking what they could and exposing weaknesses. I am looking forward to see how Shurmer will incorporate AD when he returns and I believe he will have a major impact in opening up this offense, even with the O line problems. He draws so much attention from Defenses that even as a decoy, he will allow all of the other weapons to be that much more leathal! :D :govikes:

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:13 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

@Alaskan...hey~
i just read that they expect AD to be cleared for action mid to late December...but that's up to him to play this year or not.
-
He was quoted as believing that it was something like god's will he missed last season because the superbowl is in houston this year. evidently god is a big football fan.
Anyway, i would wager that if the team gets rolling again and reels off 3-4 wins, including Dallas, he'll go for it.
-
As to Shurmur: i see his play calling and style similar to musgraves in terms of making the most outta what he's given.
musgrave's current offense is loaded with a great looking line and the Raiders are tearing it up. I'd like to see Shurmur get a good chance here with AD and Bradford with a more stable line. I like his creativity.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:33 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Anyone notice on Rhodes 100 yard dash how Danielle Hunter was stride for stride with both Rhodes and Brown? A defensive end, that guy is a freakazoid my goodness

Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:21 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Boon wrote:
Anyone notice on Rhodes 100 yard dash how Danielle Hunter was stride for stride with both Rhodes and Brown? A defensive end, that guy is a freakazoid my goodness

Zimmer thinks when all is said and done, he'll be the best D lineman on the team. :thumbsup:

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am
Career Elite Player

I'd add Waynes on the good list for his coverage and run support and Rudolph on the bad list for his poor blocking.

When is Floyd coming back?

Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:14 pm
Commissioner

808vikingsfan wrote:
I'd add Waynes on the good list for his coverage and run support and Rudolph on the bad list for his poor blocking.

Definitely agree about Waynes. He and Rhodes are becoming a top notch CB tandem.

It's nice to finally see the Vikings defense with a quality secondary. I just wish everyone could stay healthy.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next