View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:48 pm



Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 11 
Author Message
Online
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 3036
Location: Sebastian, FL
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
IrishViking wrote:

I thought the flea flicker was AFTER that play? :confused:

The Flea flicker was half way through the second quarter.(7:27) The penalty on Bradford 2/3 the way through the 3rd.

_________________
This space for rent.


Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:16 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4396
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
Nunin wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
That personal foul called against Peterson for knocking Bradford down was TERRIBLE. That was among the worst calls I've ever seen. The other two seemed like clear penalties given the rules.



Maybe it wasnt a penalty but that was a scumbag play by Peterson if you ask me. Just to take a shot at a QB like that was just unnecessary and hurt your team. No less it completely took Peterson out of the play.


i think that's a bit of a misinterpretation of peterson's intent. the cards got burned on the fle flicker earlier and peterson was make sure to take that option off the table....i thought it was a heady play.


Go ask Alex Boone what he thinks of it. He said how he felt in his presser on vikings.com

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:50 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am
Posts: 567
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
lol
alex boone?
-
that guy needs to shut his piehole and perform. i'm way past tired of hearing that guy run his yap. seriously.
-
and I'm not laughing at you PHP, i'm laughing at boone. i disagree with him.
Peterson is 5x the player he is....and he is not a scumbag or dirty player.
YMMV


Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:06 am
Profile
Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am
Posts: 38
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
Eeeeeh, I kinda agree. Boone needs to take a lesson from Moss. Perform first, talk #### later.

I think while we did alright this game, we'll definitely have to work our #### off to get a victory in Detroit. We look to be improving day by day. But golly this O-Line is like paper. Aside from Berger (who's not necessarily that good in my eyes), the entire line needs an upgrade.


Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:33 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3432
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
Nunin wrote:
lol
alex boone?
-
that guy needs to shut his piehole and perform. i'm way past tired of hearing that guy run his yap. seriously.
-
and I'm not laughing at you PHP, i'm laughing at boone. i disagree with him.
Peterson is 5x the player he is....and he is not a scumbag or dirty player.
YMMV



This.

Boone fancies himself a well spoken and intelligent man, but he's far from it. All of those reporters putting a microphone in front of his mouth gave him delusions of grandeur, it seems.


Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:46 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am
Posts: 567
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
Texas Vike wrote:
Nunin wrote:
lol
alex boone?
-
that guy needs to shut his piehole and perform. i'm way past tired of hearing that guy run his yap. seriously.
-
and I'm not laughing at you PHP, i'm laughing at boone. i disagree with him.
Peterson is 5x the player he is....and he is not a scumbag or dirty player.
YMMV



This.

Boone fancies himself a well spoken and intelligent man, but he's far from it. All of those reporters putting a microphone in front of his mouth gave him delusions of grandeur, it seems.


he gives them what they want...
he hasn't been here a full season and he's been in the media spotlight, for his mouth, more than any other OL in team history IMO....
and it's arguably the worst o-line in team history too. go figure
-
on to detroit for me


Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:34 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4396
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
He's defending his quarterback. Now all of the sudden he needs to shut his mouth?? He thought It was a cheap shot and I agree 100%. If someone does that to Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady....what happens? Not only is it all over ESPN but I guarantee at least 1 OL is saying something WHEN ASKED ABOUT IT. Boone didn't bring it up. The media did. What's he suppose to say?? "Oh yeah it was a great hit by him. Great job man"????

The fact that you're defending a guy that takes a shot at our QB and ripping a guy that defends him baffles me. Like I said, if that hit was made on one of the NFLs golden boys, it would be all over the media. Twice this year Rodgers has been hit late running into the endzone and his lineman have flipped. Are they wrong too? It's not like Boone is standing up announcing that he's going to kill Peterson. The media asked him and he said he didn't agree with it. I don't get how that is wrong?? This offensive line issue is far from being Boones fault. Him and Berger are the only ones worth a damn. And it doesn't help their cause when they have duds playing next to them.

Also, he's in the media spotlight more than anyone in team history??? The media approaches him and he jokes around and busts balls. He seems like a regular guy to me. You make him sound like some Manziel-esque media distraction that brings drama to the team. And if that's the case, I can say you couldn't be any further off

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:50 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3432
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
He's defending his quarterback. Now all of the sudden he needs to shut his mouth?? He thought It was a cheap shot and I agree 100%. If someone does that to Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady....what happens? Not only is it all over ESPN but I guarantee at least 1 OL is saying something WHEN ASKED ABOUT IT. Boone didn't bring it up. The media did. What's he suppose to say?? "Oh yeah it was a great hit by him. Great job man"????

The fact that you're defending a guy that takes a shot at our QB and ripping a guy that defends him baffles me. Like I said, if that hit was made on one of the NFLs golden boys, it would be all over the media. Twice this year Rodgers has been hit late running into the endzone and his lineman have flipped. Are they wrong too? It's not like Boone is standing up announcing that he's going to kill Peterson. The media asked him and he said he didn't agree with it. I don't get how that is wrong?? This offensive line issue is far from being Boones fault. Him and Berger are the only ones worth a damn. And it doesn't help their cause when they have duds playing next to them.

Also, he's in the media spotlight more than anyone in team history??? The media approaches him and he jokes around and busts balls. He seems like a regular guy to me. You make him sound like some Manziel-esque media distraction that brings drama to the team. And if that's the case, I can say you couldn't be any further off


OL should defend their QBs from cheap shots in the moment, on the field. I don't perceive this as a cheap shot at all. It was a legit play IMO, and one that I hope the Vikings would execute if the tables were turned. We got lucky to get the penalty called.

I like Boone just fine as a player; he's just lacking in discretion, so I take what he says with a grain of salt.


Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:01 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am
Posts: 567
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
He's defending his quarterback. Now all of the sudden he needs to shut his mouth?? He thought It was a cheap shot and I agree 100%. If someone does that to Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady....what happens? Not only is it all over ESPN but I guarantee at least 1 OL is saying something WHEN ASKED ABOUT IT. Boone didn't bring it up. The media did. What's he suppose to say?? "Oh yeah it was a great hit by him. Great job man"????

The fact that you're defending a guy that takes a shot at our QB and ripping a guy that defends him baffles me. Like I said, if that hit was made on one of the NFLs golden boys, it would be all over the media. Twice this year Rodgers has been hit late running into the endzone and his lineman have flipped. Are they wrong too? It's not like Boone is standing up announcing that he's going to kill Peterson. The media asked him and he said he didn't agree with it. I don't get how that is wrong?? This offensive line issue is far from being Boones fault. Him and Berger are the only ones worth a damn. And it doesn't help their cause when they have duds playing next to them.

Also, he's in the media spotlight more than anyone in team history??? The media approaches him and he jokes around and busts balls. He seems like a regular guy to me. You make him sound like some Manziel-esque media distraction that brings drama to the team. And if that's the case, I can say you couldn't be any further off


i'm not defending anyone....i'm disagreeing with your characterization that Peterson made a 'scumbag' play. i'm not talking about rodgers or brady here. was that your opinion or boone's? either way i disagree...take it for what it's worth and spare me the hyperbole...please.

as to boone...i don't care what boone says...period.


Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:53 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1616
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
While I don't think it was a scumbag play I certainly don't think its fair on the other end to call it a good/fair play.

Lets call it what it is; an attempt to knock the QB out of the game on a technically legal play. Peterson made the call in the moment to "attack" Bradford with the maximum amount of force he could that he didn't think would draw attention. Perfectly legal but clearly not a "high road" move.

He wasn't trying to take him out of the play, He wasn't trying to keep him from blocking, Bradford very clearly wasn't making a move for a flea flicker ( If he was really worried about a flea flicker jump the lateral and get a pick 6 ). This was Peterson going "hmm, I got a once a year legal shot at a QB lets see if I can make him hit his head or land on his wrist." By no means was he trying to kill him or permanently injure him but imo the clear intent on that play was to do as much damage as he could get away with and maybe force Hill into the game. Should the flag have been thrown? Probably not, I think it was a judgement call by the ref and we all know how weird those gets. Remember Johnson roughing the passer because "he drove with his shoulder" (read, fell down next to QB)?

It probably was something as asinine as Peterson's shove "follow through" that made it go from a play to penalty.


Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:24 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10496
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
I actually think it was a good call by the Cards. They basically said, if you're going to run the wildcat, then prepare for your quarterback to be hit. He just shoved him down, he didn't spear him. Like I said before, when Kaepernick was having huge success with the read option, the way it was finally countered was by continually hitting him whether he kept the ball or not because in that stance, he's no longer a QB. It's the same thing here. You line up as a receiver, you're treated as a receiver. You call read option, you're treated as a runner.


Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:35 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am
Posts: 567
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
well, here's my final take on it. Bradford could see peterson coming the whole way....if that dummy gets knocked out of the game from a telegraphed hit he is taking, face on, by a guy roughly the same size as him...it's his own fault and the coaches fault for putting him out there with that mentality in the first place.
peterson and the whole cardinal team may very well have been frustrated...their season on the line, getting burned once already by sam in the wildcat, and the simple fact that when peterson lines up he is covering bradford, which effectively takes him out of the play to begin with.

it's reasonable to conclude that peterson was attempting to take sam out of the play entirely....to suggest he was trying to take him out of the game is a reach, given the circumstances pointed out in the beginning of this post.

PHP...don't take my back and forth with you personally, please. i dig your input and passion...i'm just having what i would call a weird day. :|

on to detroit :rock:


Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:55 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1616
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
I don't disagree it was the smart play but I personally think a lot of you sitting in your armchairs puffing your pipes huffing "good play, thats football, as God intended, right-ho, what what, jolly good show"

Would be absolutely livid if Sam had broken his wrist or even just twinged it which is basically, the exact Hail Mary Peterson was throwing to God when he put hands on Bradford.

I get you have to be aware when you are on the field. There is a difference between, accepting being hit while running a play (Which is what Bradford does every time he steps onto the field as a QB) and Standing up 4 yards behind the line scrimmage and getting rushed.

Its Sam freaking bradford, He isn't getting the ball, period. If you get between him and the non QB ball holder, he is out of the play and you can do a variety of other things. Intercept, sack, TFL, etc It was a waste of precious time to "run" him down and push him the only reason to do so was the gamble of a longer term "dividend.

Either way, it wasn't an inherently "dirty" play I don't think less of the Cardinals for doing it, it IS football after all. But it certainly wasn't outside the realm of reason to expect a flag to be thrown when one player charges another player who is standing vertical, not participating in the play, and forcibly shoves them to the ground. Especially in today's game full of concussion protocols. The NFL wants to eliminate literally every single unnecessary contact between players.


Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:09 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4396
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
Nunin wrote:
well, here's my final take on it. Bradford could see peterson coming the whole way....if that dummy gets knocked out of the game from a telegraphed hit he is taking, face on, by a guy roughly the same size as him...it's his own fault and the coaches fault for putting him out there with that mentality in the first place.
peterson and the whole cardinal team may very well have been frustrated...their season on the line, getting burned once already by sam in the wildcat, and the simple fact that when peterson lines up he is covering bradford, which effectively takes him out of the play to begin with.

it's reasonable to conclude that peterson was attempting to take sam out of the play entirely....to suggest he was trying to take him out of the game is a reach, given the circumstances pointed out in the beginning of this post.

PHP...don't take my back and forth with you personally, please. i dig your input and passion...i'm just having what i would call a weird day. :|

on to detroit :rock:


No problem brother! The way I look at it is, why aren't corners doing that to all WRs. We run quick screens to CP and Diggs a lot so why aren't guys running up to them and blowing them up? I just thought it was pretty uncalled for. There was no need for it. And I believe Boone said what he had to say when asked about it. No OL is going to sit there and say that was a heady play.

I don't take what you said personally at all man. We're all good :rock:

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:56 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4396
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
IrishViking wrote:
While I don't think it was a scumbag play I certainly don't think its fair on the other end to call it a good/fair play.

Lets call it what it is; an attempt to knock the QB out of the game on a technically legal play. Peterson made the call in the moment to "attack" Bradford with the maximum amount of force he could that he didn't think would draw attention. Perfectly legal but clearly not a "high road" move.

He wasn't trying to take him out of the play, He wasn't trying to keep him from blocking, Bradford very clearly wasn't making a move for a flea flicker ( If he was really worried about a flea flicker jump the lateral and get a pick 6 ). This was Peterson going "hmm, I got a once a year legal shot at a QB lets see if I can make him hit his head or land on his wrist." By no means was he trying to kill him or permanently injure him but imo the clear intent on that play was to do as much damage as he could get away with and maybe force Hill into the game. Should the flag have been thrown? Probably not, I think it was a judgement call by the ref and we all know how weird those gets. Remember Johnson roughing the passer because "he drove with his shoulder" (read, fell down next to QB)?

It probably was something as asinine as Peterson's shove "follow through" that made it go from a play to penalty.



This is how I view it as well. Just uncalled for IMO. I don't think it was to "take Sam out of the play". It was more, take a free shot at him

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:57 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10496
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Nunin wrote:
well, here's my final take on it. Bradford could see peterson coming the whole way....if that dummy gets knocked out of the game from a telegraphed hit he is taking, face on, by a guy roughly the same size as him...it's his own fault and the coaches fault for putting him out there with that mentality in the first place.
peterson and the whole cardinal team may very well have been frustrated...their season on the line, getting burned once already by sam in the wildcat, and the simple fact that when peterson lines up he is covering bradford, which effectively takes him out of the play to begin with.

it's reasonable to conclude that peterson was attempting to take sam out of the play entirely....to suggest he was trying to take him out of the game is a reach, given the circumstances pointed out in the beginning of this post.

PHP...don't take my back and forth with you personally, please. i dig your input and passion...i'm just having what i would call a weird day. :|

on to detroit :rock:


No problem brother! The way I look at it is, why aren't corners doing that to all WRs. We run quick screens to CP and Diggs a lot so why aren't guys running up to them and blowing them up? I just thought it was pretty uncalled for. There was no need for it. And I believe Boone said what he had to say when asked about it. No OL is going to sit there and say that was a heady play.

I don't take what you said personally at all man. We're all good :rock:


They do it to WRs all the time, it's called press coverage. The only difference is the receiver pushes back. It's like a kicker/punter trying to tackle, it looks terrible because they're not skilled to do it. That doesn't take away from the fact that they're allowed to tackle even if they're bad at it. Same with Bradford, he's allowed to be contacted within 5-yards like any other receiver, even if he's bad at it. He has every right to push back if he wants. It doesn't matter if you put Bradford, Locke, or Zimmer out there, if they're playing the WR position, the same rules apply.


Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:22 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1616
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
S197 wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Nunin wrote:
well, here's my final take on it. Bradford could see peterson coming the whole way....if that dummy gets knocked out of the game from a telegraphed hit he is taking, face on, by a guy roughly the same size as him...it's his own fault and the coaches fault for putting him out there with that mentality in the first place.
peterson and the whole cardinal team may very well have been frustrated...their season on the line, getting burned once already by sam in the wildcat, and the simple fact that when peterson lines up he is covering bradford, which effectively takes him out of the play to begin with.

it's reasonable to conclude that peterson was attempting to take sam out of the play entirely....to suggest he was trying to take him out of the game is a reach, given the circumstances pointed out in the beginning of this post.

PHP...don't take my back and forth with you personally, please. i dig your input and passion...i'm just having what i would call a weird day. :|

on to detroit :rock:


No problem brother! The way I look at it is, why aren't corners doing that to all WRs. We run quick screens to CP and Diggs a lot so why aren't guys running up to them and blowing them up? I just thought it was pretty uncalled for. There was no need for it. And I believe Boone said what he had to say when asked about it. No OL is going to sit there and say that was a heady play.

I don't take what you said personally at all man. We're all good :rock:


They do it to WRs all the time, it's called press coverage. The only difference is the receiver pushes back. It's like a kicker/punter trying to tackle, it looks terrible because they're not skilled to do it. That doesn't take away from the fact that they're allowed to tackle even if they're bad at it. Same with Bradford, he's allowed to be contacted within 5-yards like any other receiver, even if he's bad at it. He has every right to push back if he wants. It doesn't matter if you put Bradford, Locke, or Zimmer out there, if they're playing the WR position, the same rules apply.


I don't think anyone is saying that the play itself broke a rule. Just that the reason behind the flag being thrown. Sorta like in the national league baseball. You could throw chin music at the opposing pitcher when he bats to spook him, just... why?


Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:30 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am
Posts: 567
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
seriously, the whole cardinal team was pretty frustrated. that's a proud group and their season went up in flames on the back of 2 100yd returns and a flea flicker...for the most part. obviously there was more involved in the outcome.
-
the only dirty looking play i saw was when one of the cardinals players nailed Sam after he was already on his back. no call...it was bs IMO. both by the defender and whoever didn't throw a flag.
I don't think that game was officiated all that well or consistently to begin with. i can't speak for peterson's actual intent...but it was easy to see the frustration on that side of the field beginning with arians.
-
sam needs some work at getting off the line...maybe CP84 can work with him?
-
ok...done with the cardinals for realz...hope they come back strong next year.


Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:05 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4396
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
S197 wrote:

They do it to WRs all the time, it's called press coverage. The only difference is the receiver pushes back. It's like a kicker/punter trying to tackle, it looks terrible because they're not skilled to do it. That doesn't take away from the fact that they're allowed to tackle even if they're bad at it. Same with Bradford, he's allowed to be contacted within 5-yards like any other receiver, even if he's bad at it. He has every right to push back if he wants. It doesn't matter if you put Bradford, Locke, or Zimmer out there, if they're playing the WR position, the same rules apply.


Disagree again. Press coverage is when a WR and CB are nose to nose when the ball is snapped and they jam from there. From what I remember, Peterson and Bradford were far from being nose to nose and Peterson was on a dead sprint at Bradford when he hit him. That isn't "press coverage". Yeah let's press Sam Bradford with our best corner because he's such a threat. Peterson said to the media, "I did what the coaches told me to do and that was take him out of the ball game". NOT, "hey go press him so he doesn't beat you deep". He even said it, there was a reason behind it and I do not agree with his intention or reason

Side note: everyone that was knocking Boone for being a media distraction, Berger and Sirles both spoke to the media saying it was uncalled for. So like I said before, I have no clue why Boone was being criticized for what he said. He did what he was suppose to do and said the same thing any other OL in the NFL would say. Have no clue what's wrong with that

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:12 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10496
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
S197 wrote:

They do it to WRs all the time, it's called press coverage. The only difference is the receiver pushes back. It's like a kicker/punter trying to tackle, it looks terrible because they're not skilled to do it. That doesn't take away from the fact that they're allowed to tackle even if they're bad at it. Same with Bradford, he's allowed to be contacted within 5-yards like any other receiver, even if he's bad at it. He has every right to push back if he wants. It doesn't matter if you put Bradford, Locke, or Zimmer out there, if they're playing the WR position, the same rules apply.


Disagree again. Press coverage is when a WR and CB are nose to nose when the ball is snapped and they jam from there. From what I remember, Peterson and Bradford were far from being nose to nose and Peterson was on a dead sprint at Bradford when he hit him. That isn't "press coverage". Yeah let's press Sam Bradford with our best corner because he's such a threat. Peterson said to the media, "I did what the coaches told me to do and that was take him out of the ball game". NOT, "hey go press him so he doesn't beat you deep". He even said it, there was a reason behind it and I do not agree with his intention or reason

Side note: everyone that was knocking Boone for being a media distraction, Berger and Sirles both spoke to the media saying it was uncalled for. So like I said before, I have no clue why Boone was being criticized for what he said. He did what he was suppose to do and said the same thing any other OL in the NFL would say. Have no clue what's wrong with that


Press coverage is being physical within five yards of the line of scrimmage with a receiver. It has nothing to do with Bradford being a threat, it's about countering the call. Teams will think twice about putting a QB wide if he keeps getting hit. Just because it's Sam Bradford doesn't suddenly mean he gets special treatment all of a sudden. You line up as a receiver and you're treated like a receiver.

The OL should stick up for their QB so I have no problem with that, I just don't think it was a dirty play. Was the intent to hit him? Absolutely. It's football.


Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:37 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4396
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
S197 wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
S197 wrote:

They do it to WRs all the time, it's called press coverage. The only difference is the receiver pushes back. It's like a kicker/punter trying to tackle, it looks terrible because they're not skilled to do it. That doesn't take away from the fact that they're allowed to tackle even if they're bad at it. Same with Bradford, he's allowed to be contacted within 5-yards like any other receiver, even if he's bad at it. He has every right to push back if he wants. It doesn't matter if you put Bradford, Locke, or Zimmer out there, if they're playing the WR position, the same rules apply.


Disagree again. Press coverage is when a WR and CB are nose to nose when the ball is snapped and they jam from there. From what I remember, Peterson and Bradford were far from being nose to nose and Peterson was on a dead sprint at Bradford when he hit him. That isn't "press coverage". Yeah let's press Sam Bradford with our best corner because he's such a threat. Peterson said to the media, "I did what the coaches told me to do and that was take him out of the ball game". NOT, "hey go press him so he doesn't beat you deep". He even said it, there was a reason behind it and I do not agree with his intention or reason

Side note: everyone that was knocking Boone for being a media distraction, Berger and Sirles both spoke to the media saying it was uncalled for. So like I said before, I have no clue why Boone was being criticized for what he said. He did what he was suppose to do and said the same thing any other OL in the NFL would say. Have no clue what's wrong with that


Press coverage is being physical within five yards of the line of scrimmage with a receiver. It has nothing to do with Bradford being a threat, it's about countering the call. Teams will think twice about putting a QB wide if he keeps getting hit. Just because it's Sam Bradford doesn't suddenly mean he gets special treatment all of a sudden. You line up as a receiver and you're treated like a receiver.

The OL should stick up for their QB so I have no problem with that, I just don't think it was a dirty play. Was the intent to hit him? Absolutely. It's football.


You're missing my point. I never once said he "deserves special treatment because he's Sam Bradford". However I can tell you right now, the flag is thrown with Brady, Newton, Rodgers, etc. However my point is.....PETERSON WAS NOT IN PRESS!! He was backed way off and sprinted at Bradford to lay him out. That is NOT how press coverage works. If you believe thats how it works then I truly question your knowledge about the game of football. You never, EVER see CBs sprinting at WRs to jam them. They are flat footed or at times staggered. Not 8-10 yards off.

If you want to press the guy, then get up and press him!!! That is why I think it was a cheap shot. He could've went by it many different ways. And lets be smart about this here.....if Peterson was worried he would throw a flea flicker, wouldnt it be smarter for Peterson to be up in press so he's right there to make the tackle when he receives the ball?? Not 10 miles away getting a running start at the guy when he's completely standing still doing nothing. No less not even looking at him.

Its no different than a punter being at the 50 and the returner is 2 yards away from scoring and some meat head turns and blows him up. Thats a cheap shot!! And its uncalled for. Period

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:23 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3225
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
S197 wrote:
I actually think it was a good call by the Cards. They basically said, if you're going to run the wildcat, then prepare for your quarterback to be hit. He just shoved him down, he didn't spear him. Like I said before, when Kaepernick was having huge success with the read option, the way it was finally countered was by continually hitting him whether he kept the ball or not because in that stance, he's no longer a QB. It's the same thing here. You line up as a receiver, you're treated as a receiver. You call read option, you're treated as a runner.


I agree, and I would have hit him a lot harder.

Quote:
They do it to WRs all the time, it's called press coverage. The only difference is the receiver pushes back. It's like a kicker/punter trying to tackle, it looks terrible because they're not skilled to do it. That doesn't take away from the fact that they're allowed to tackle even if they're bad at it. Same with Bradford, he's allowed to be contacted within 5-yards like any other receiver, even if he's bad at it. He has every right to push back if he wants. It doesn't matter if you put Bradford, Locke, or Zimmer out there, if they're playing the WR position, the same rules apply.


Yes.

Bring back the replacement Refs!!!!


Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:26 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4396
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
fiestavike wrote:
S197 wrote:

Quote:
They do it to WRs all the time, it's called press coverage. The only difference is the receiver pushes back. It's like a kicker/punter trying to tackle, it looks terrible because they're not skilled to do it. That doesn't take away from the fact that they're allowed to tackle even if they're bad at it. Same with Bradford, he's allowed to be contacted within 5-yards like any other receiver, even if he's bad at it. He has every right to push back if he wants. It doesn't matter if you put Bradford, Locke, or Zimmer out there, if they're playing the WR position, the same rules apply.


Yes.



No. Like I said, in now way, shape or form was Peterson playing "press" on Bradford. He had about a 8 yard head start to laying him out. That is not press coverage.

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:48 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3225
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

Yes.



No. Like I said, in now way, shape or form was Peterson playing "press" on Bradford. He had about a 8 yard head start to laying him out. That is not press coverage.[/quote]

Who cares, I'd have knocked his block off if they sent him out there again on the next play. Its called football. At least it used to be. :confused:

He went easy on him and just shoved him over instead of blasting him, probably because they were afraid Hill might come in and out perform Bradford.


Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:12 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4396
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
fiestavike wrote:

Who cares, I'd have knocked his block off if they sent him out there again on the next play. Its called football. At least it used to be. :confused:

He went easy on him and just shoved him over instead of blasting him, probably because they were afraid Hill might come in and out perform Bradford.


:roll: Yeah I'm sure that was it since Bradford has just played so bad this year. Good one. Whether he did it, you did it, or Santa Clause did it, I'm still going to sit here and say it was a cheap shot

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:19 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3225
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

Who cares, I'd have knocked his block off if they sent him out there again on the next play. Its called football. At least it used to be. :confused:

He went easy on him and just shoved him over instead of blasting him, probably because they were afraid Hill might come in and out perform Bradford.


:roll: Yeah I'm sure that was it since Bradford has just played so bad this year. Good one. Whether he did it, you did it, or Santa Clause did it, I'm still going to sit here and say it was a cheap shot


The game of football must be one big cheap shot...


Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:30 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4396
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1
fiestavike wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

Who cares, I'd have knocked his block off if they sent him out there again on the next play. Its called football. At least it used to be. :confused:

He went easy on him and just shoved him over instead of blasting him, probably because they were afraid Hill might come in and out perform Bradford.


:roll: Yeah I'm sure that was it since Bradford has just played so bad this year. Good one. Whether he did it, you did it, or Santa Clause did it, I'm still going to sit here and say it was a cheap shot


The game of football must be one big cheap shot...


....nope. Just a guy on an 8 yard sprint to hit a guy not involved in the play is one big cheap shot. But you were close

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:54 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 507 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 808vikingsfan, Google [Bot], jvessey, Raptorman and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.