View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:17 am



Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 AD 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3432
Post Re: AD
Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
My gut tells me that AD doesn't think he owes us anything and he's going to take the best contract that the market puts on the table. Our commitment to him through injuries and the suspension, etc. will vanish and a Vikings legend's legacy will be tarnished forever. Sorry to be so cynical, but that's my read.


He owes them no more than they owe him and I don't think their loyalty to him has ever extended beyond their own business and football interests.

Peterson's not in a position to take the best offer the market puts on the table unless the Vikings cut him. I doubt he'll be overly unreasonable about a renegotiation. I'm sure he and his representatives understand it's necessary. As I've said many times, it was clear when his current deal was signed that it was essentially a 2 year deal. Everyone involved knows he's not getting $18 million to play next year. How much he will want is purely a matter of conjecture but I suspect his representatives will also advise him that at his age, coming off a serious injury, the market will be limited.

It's up to the Vikes to make a reasonable offer if they want him to renegotiate and it's up to him to be reasonable in return. I think they do owe each other that much. If they can't come to terms it will be a shame.


We see it pretty differently then.

For one, I think few clubs would have stuck by AD like the Vikings did, especially given the huge amount of money that we paid him even though he wasn't helping the team to win (and he certainly didn't help the image of the team through the scandal either). Did we the Vikings do it because they believed it was in their best interest? Yes, of course. It's a business.

My read of this situation is that AD is going to overvalue his services; he doesn't strike me as a very self aware individual, and I think he has a very inflated idea of what he's going to be able to do as he gets into his early to mid thirties. I am surprised to read that you doubt he'll be overly unreasonable: what about him gives you that impression? Everything I've read about the guy points in the exact opposite direction.


Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:51 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: AD
Texas Vike wrote:
We see it pretty differently then.

For one, I think few clubs would have stuck by AD like the Vikings did, especially given the huge amount of money that we paid him even though he wasn't helping the team to win (and he certainly didn't help the image of the team through the scandal either). Did we the Vikings do it because they believed it was in their best interest? Yes, of course. It's a business.


... and that's why I think most teams would have stuck with him. It was a good business choice for the Vikings. That said, they barely stuck by him at all in 2014, giving in easily to Goodell's suspension shenanigans and supposedly even having some people work with the league against him behind the scenes. That's why he he was reluctant to return in 2013.

He was a big PR black eye to them that year too, of course.

Sticking with him through injuries has been to their overall benefit thus far and paying him during injured seasons wasn't really a choice.

Quote:
My read of this situation is that AD is going to overvalue his services; he doesn't strike me as a very self aware individual, and I think he has a very inflated idea of what he's going to be able to do as he gets into his early to mid thirties. I am surprised to read that you doubt he'll be overly unreasonable: what about him gives you that impression? Everything I've read about the guy points in the exact opposite direction.


I just doubt he or his representatives (who I think will be key) will be unrealistic enough to believe he's going to get paid $18 million next season and I think they will understand that he's going to have to restructure for considerably less or take considerably less elsewhere. I don't expect them to just accept a lowball offer but if the Vikes make a fair offer, I expect we'll see a good faith negotiation from both sides, especially because his best offer is likely to come from the Vikings. It might get a little tricky or contentious but I think they'll be able to get something done.

I don't feel Peterson has actually overvalued his services up to this point. Obviously, nobody foresaw his injury this season and I understand that, in comparative terms, he makes far more than most RBs but his value to this particular franchise has been atypical, right up until this season and considering the current state of their running game and offense, it sure looks like they miss him. They paid him very well last year, leaned on him heavily and he helped them win an NFC North title by leading the league in rushing and making up for a lot of shortcomings on offense. He was absolutely key to their success, as he was in his MVP season, the only other year they've made the playoffs since 2009.

I don't know how much they should be willing to pay him going forward. It should certainly be less than this season, especially since he missed a great deal of time with an injury again. I'm just not as cynical about this as most Vikes fans seem to be, probably because I believe it's in the best interest of both parties to arrive at a reasonable compromise.


Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:27 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3432
Post Re: AD
Mothman wrote:

I don't know how much they should be willing to pay him going forward. It should certainly be less than this season, especially since he missed a great deal of time with an injury again. I'm just not as cynical about this as most Vikes fans seem to be, probably because I believe it's in the best interest of both parties to arrive at a reasonable compromise.



I can't speak for anyone else, but my cynicism is rooted more in a feeling that AD's peeps are not likely to be realistic.


Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:36 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: AD
Texas Vike wrote:
Mothman wrote:

I don't know how much they should be willing to pay him going forward. It should certainly be less than this season, especially since he missed a great deal of time with an injury again. I'm just not as cynical about this as most Vikes fans seem to be, probably because I believe it's in the best interest of both parties to arrive at a reasonable compromise.



I can't speak for anyone else, but my cynicism is rooted more in a feeling that AD's peeps are not likely to be realistic.


Well, I certainly can't say you're wrong about that. I just don't know. I'm hoping reason will prevail but I certainly see the possibility that Peterson and his agent will be wholly unreasonable about this, that ego will get in the way and the whole thing will end badly. It will be a shame if it goes that way but I understand your cynicism on this topic.

My advice to the Vikings is make a decent offer and include an option that allows him to ride a camel. ;)

That's not helping my position that reason will prevail, is it? :tongue:


Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:44 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.