Next two weeks will define the season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Next two weeks will define the season

Post by Nunin »

uggh looks like my post got wormholed.
i'll just repost the points
-

i agree with you guys about AD helping the offense.
-
i think AZ is a perfect opponent for this defense this week. palmer does not get the ball out that quickly.
-
schurmer's use of the no huddle and passing to set up the run will continue to be effective.
-
zimmer has to tighten up things and stop the long drives against his D.
-
i think the vikes are loaded on offense despite the line crippling them. it's on schurmer to milk that talent and adapt the scheme. so far, i like his style.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Nunin wrote:uggh looks like my post got wormholed.
i'll just repost the points
-

i agree with you guys about AD helping the offense.
-
i think AZ is a perfect opponent for this defense this week. palmer does not get the ball out that quickly.
-
schurmer's use of the no huddle and passing to set up the run will continue to be effective.
-
zimmer has to tighten up things and stop the long drives against his D.
-
i think the vikes are loaded on offense despite the line crippling them. it's on schurmer to milk that talent and adapt the scheme. so far, i like his style.
I think that the defense will be smoked like a brisket if they don't shore up the run defense, never mind Palmer.
And against a big back like David Johnson they are likely to suffer the same fate as they did with Howard and the Bears.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

CbusVikesFan wrote: I think that the defense will be smoked like a brisket if they don't shore up the run defense, never mind Palmer.
And against a big back like David Johnson they are likely to suffer the same fate as they did with Howard and the Bears.
i hear ya on the run D and mentioned it on my post that got lost. i just lumped it into the 'zimmer needs to tighten things uo' comment on the post above.
they have been getting gashed pretty good there up the middle~
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I've got a weird feeling about the expectation for today's game vs. Arizona. I feel the Vikings should win, but if they lose, it's just like a business-as-usual Sunday -- the slide continues and our overall expectations dwindles further on a disappointing season to the point where we all just want to sink back into the crowd and go unnoticed as fans (at least that's my case living in Seattle). :lol:
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

my feel is that they are gonna roll the cards.
if that doesn't happen though, i could see a descent into darkness :(
NCViking
Backup

Post by NCViking »

I think if we don't beat both the Cardinals and the Lions (especially the Lions), we can say goodbye to the playoffs. We almost certainly aren't going to beat the Cowboys, so if we lose to one of those two and to the Cowboys, that would put us at six losses. 10-6 probably gets us in the playoffs, 9-7 probably not, and the way we are playing, we aren't going to sweep the last four games of the season.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Now that the Vikings washed their hands of that mess...Where do we stand? A win on Thursday means the Vikings will be solely in first place to begin the month of December...I'd say it's a must-win for the sake of positioning, but not necessarily for just making it to the playoffs....We don't want a wildcard though, so must-win it is!
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Now that the Vikings washed their hands of that mess...Where do we stand? A win on Thursday means the Vikings will be solely in first place to begin the month of December...I'd say it's a must-win for the sake of positioning, but not necessarily for just making it to the playoffs....We don't want a wildcard though, so must-win it is!
Yeah I view it as a must win. Getting swept by the Lions all but assures they lose the division and are out of the playoffs. Huge game.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Yeah I view it as a must win. Getting swept by the Lions all but assures they lose the division and are out of the playoffs. Huge game.
The Lions will implode later whether we win or not, so we can still win the division and make the playoffs either way. But a loss would be a huge blow to our sketchy morale and confidence.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Lions is a must win because Dallas is the following week and we can not afford a losing streak of even 2 games from here on out. Short of the defense having the their best game of the season we will lose to Dallas.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

unless you wanna be a road team in a wild card game, they are all pretty much must win from here on out.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Nunin wrote:unless you wanna be a road team in a wild card game, they are all pretty much must win from here on out.
Beggars cant be choosers. I take must win to be "minimum needed to make playoffs" I mean, sure, every game from here out is a must win if we want a 12-4 record and a superbowl.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

IrishViking wrote: Beggars cant be choosers. I take must win to be "minimum needed to make playoffs" I mean, sure, every game from here out is a must win if we want a 12-4 record and a superbowl.
if they get in they get in....i just hope they are in the mindframe that the playoff style has begun. it's the one or two plays per game that decide it. win every down.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Nunin wrote: if they get in they get in....i just hope they are in the mindframe that the playoff style has begun. it's the one or two plays per game that decide it. win every down.

My view of what happened is that Zimmer "laid off" the defense during the 5-0 stretch because they were playing out of their minds for the most part and by the time he realized they still needed someone to ride their butts it took him a couple of weeks to fire them up again. If the defense plays this well Thursday I think on that side of the ball we are right back into the elite talk.

Offense, bleh,

Idk, I would honestly like to see them move away from the wildcats and such. I think it kills momentum. Idt we are going to figure out the running game in 3 weeks. Just be honest with yourself, everyone else knows you cant run it, so when you NEED yards. throw it. dont completely abandoned the run but be honest. 3rd and 2? That's a gimmick or a passing. 4th and inches? Gimmick or passing. use the lateral moves (screens, sweeps, laterals, etc) to slow down the pass rush and keep the relatively honest in a run light offense and let the offense groove.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

IrishViking wrote:

My view of what happened is that Zimmer "laid off" the defense during the 5-0 stretch because they were playing out of their minds for the most part and by the time he realized they still needed someone to ride their butts it took him a couple of weeks to fire them up again. If the defense plays this well Thursday I think on that side of the ball we are right back into the elite talk.

Offense, bleh,

Idk, I would honestly like to see them move away from the wildcats and such. I think it kills momentum. Idt we are going to figure out the running game in 3 weeks. Just be honest with yourself, everyone else knows you cant run it, so when you NEED yards. throw it. dont completely abandoned the run but be honest. 3rd and 2? That's a gimmick or a passing. 4th and inches? Gimmick or passing. use the lateral moves (screens, sweeps, laterals, etc) to slow down the pass rush and keep the relatively honest in a run light offense and let the offense groove.
i'm not for or against the wildcat in any real way, although i think it was from that formation that the long PI to Thielen happened which ultimately scored a TD for them.

On offense I think they are just trying to get the ball in the hands of the playmakers...and they have several. More than most teams IMO, so maybe it serves them to be what people might call gimmicky. But every copied trend in this league started out as a gimmick of sorts. Not that they are trend setting....but do whatever works on a game to game basis according to the matchups. Exploitation is the name of the game.
I don't think this o-line has that talent currently to run effective stretch plays and screens against good defenses. It is what it is.

What I've been reading about the defense is that Zimmer has been trying to do too much....they had wandered away from the roles and discipline after a couple of losses.
It remains to be seen if they have figured it out, and like you, I will feel more confident one way or the other after they play the Lions again.